Pages:
Author

Topic: Newest Diff thread April 5 to April 18th - page 6. (Read 7940 times)

legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
 But this group does not need to lay the 30 coins out. each day.  All they need to do is convince us to mine a hot coin such as TRON  and we the investors or suckers rent or switch gear to alt 256 coins.

The alltime hands down winner of these alt 256 coins was paycoin.  After reviewing all that  GAW-Zen did from March of 2014 to the actual paycoin mining in nov+ dec 2014 I am convinced it was done to halt or lower BTC diff . I think it ran into trouble due to the BTC price drop.  I also think  the BTC price drop was partially caused as a reaction to the paycoin mining.
If I had serious money in BTC  I would be nervous as to what paycoin did to suck a lot of ph away from btc mining.  I think some major selloffs occurred in BTC due to that super pump & dump event.
legendary

We wouldn't benefit doing block withholding in any way.

But evil miners could do that with modified mining software. Every pool is prone to this kind of attack, not only rentals.

If there was a (simple) way to detect such activity of miners, we would already have it implemented. We believe that is the negative issue of current pooled mining concept.

Its weird how people are paying 20% over BTC right now at Nicehash just to mine BTC directly.

Currently the price is 0.012300 Th/BTC/Day. And they aren't mining an altcoin but BTC itself.

I had my price set at .0136 because I was only interested in renting if it was a large payout, and I watched it yesterday and had the same thoughts as many others wondering what the current coin that was getting so much attention. I mine at Kano.is and like the good payouts when blocks hit, but I could not resist lowering my price and jumping in at westhash.
MY S4s and S3s need tweaking. I put the nicehash s3 binary on a couple of S3s and they worked, even rolling back ok, but the S4s I didn't and tried the #xnsub, no rollover, so I just left the ones which worked and will go back and tweak the others later, but overall, this must have some impact on difficulty, albeit small, but I certainly know Phil is right on with the ability to affect the network with 1 bitcoin at the right time of the day. Imagine a group renting all of the available hash from every mining site, and not for an attack, but how much could it impact difficulty? Say 20 guys put down 5 coins each at the different mining sites. average the pricing across all sites, manage the times, the right time and pointed towards any sha256 coin with a break even sell price.
What is the realistic effect on Bitcoin difficulty?
Use 30 guys with 10 coins each, or 5 guys with 30 coins, etc.

Good stuff to get the mind moving this morning Phil, thanks for the reply bud, and I hope you are having a good morning.

Great Info from all ty. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, and the rental refresher!

I think the rental to drop the upcoming  hashrate will not pass 1 or 2 % basically renting  1ph for a day drops  about a ⅓ of a percent

so 3ph = 1 percent.

I think being about to rent more then 10ph even as a group is not easy..    so for the  sake of argument a concerted effort of renters can drop the network maybe 1% for 1 adjustment if they do 30 coins a day for the entire adjustment. see 1 day price below for 3ph which is about a 1% drop

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
FINAL LIST OF ENTRIES FOR THE 0.1 BTC REWARD

New entries are not accepted anymore but speculation is welcome.

Please take a minute to find your name in the list and verify the numbers. Let me know if you see anything wrong.

The pack is tight this time (rollover less likely) and BitcoinWisdom shows -1.67% trending a bit higher.

Thank you for participating.

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

But evil miners could do that with modified mining software. Every pool is prone to this kind of attack, not only rentals.

If there was a (simple) way to detect such activity of miners, we would already have it implemented. We believe that is the negative issue of current pooled mining concept.

Its weird how people are paying 20% over BTC right now at Nicehash just to mine BTC directly.

Currently the price is 0.012300 Th/BTC/Day. And they aren't mining an altcoin but BTC itself.

I had my price set at .0136 because I was only interested in renting if it was a large payout, and I watched it yesterday and had the same thoughts as many others wondering what the current coin that was getting so much attention. I mine at Kano.is and like the good payouts when blocks hit, but I could not resist lowering my price and jumping in at westhash.
MY S4s and S3s need tweaking. I put the nicehash s3 binary on a couple of S3s and they worked, even rolling back ok, but the S4s I didn't and tried the #xnsub, no rollover, so I just left the ones which worked and will go back and tweak the others later, but overall, this must have some impact on difficulty, albeit small, but I certainly know Phil is right on with the ability to affect the network with 1 bitcoin at the right time of the day. Imagine a group renting all of the available hash from every mining site, and not for an attack, but how much could it impact difficulty? Say 20 guys put down 5 coins each at the different mining sites. average the pricing across all sites, manage the times, the right time and pointed towards any sha256 coin with a break even sell price.
What is the realistic effect on Bitcoin difficulty?
Use 30 guys with 10 coins each, or 5 guys with 30 coins, etc.

Good stuff to get the mind moving this morning Phil, thanks for the reply bud, and I hope you are having a good morning.

Great Info from all ty. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, and the rental refresher!
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm working on putting together the final list but if someone wants to make a last minute guess or change - now's the time.

Sorry for the delay, tax time is taxing.
legendary
I have all my miners pointed back at Westhash... this is to good to pass up. Sometimes my S3's dont failover so only had the S5 renting hash in the past, but just changed the 3's over. The weird part is I have a batch 2 S3 that was a dog from the get go....Had two bad chips that use to show a x on one and a - on the other...but switching it over to Westhash about 4 hours ago the darn thing shows all "o" now on all chips and it has not done that in months of restarts?

that is found money bro.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
I have all my miners pointed back at Westhash... this is to good to pass up. Sometimes my S3's dont failover so only had the S5 renting hash in the past, but just changed the 3's over. The weird part is I have a batch 2 S3 that was a dog from the get go....Had two bad chips that use to show a x on one and a - on the other...but switching it over to Westhash about 4 hours ago the darn thing shows all "o" now on all chips and it has not done that in months of restarts?
legendary

Wow I am surprised on price what is happening?  I cant think of any release on coins to make it so much.

Its due to TRON coin. Which was launched today. Currently 7 Ph/s is mining it at the moment.

The coin looks like a total scam to me. No idea why the hype.

A lot of people jump at [what they perceive to be] a chance a a quick buck.  P&D

Pump & Dump has been around a long time. Wolf of Wall Street illustrates it well.  Alt coins now have clubs with touters charging up to .5 btc for their next hot coin pick.
  So 100 investors  or suckers pay the guy 0.5 btc for the pick then rent a lot of hash from rental sites at 20% or even 900% premiums as in the case of paycoin  and  2, 3, 5 , 10 ph diverts off btc.
My advice point your miners to west or nice hash  get the higher payoffs  and when that fad ends your miners will roll back to a real pool.

here is a miner setup for me . It earns a premium on west or nice hash and when premiums stop I go for a solo block
legendary
Activity: 1274

Wow I am surprised on price what is happening?  I cant think of any release on coins to make it so much.

Its due to TRON coin. Which was launched today. Currently 7 Ph/s is mining it at the moment.

A lot of people jump at [what they perceive to be] a chance a a quick buck.  P&D
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com

Wow I am surprised on price what is happening?  I cant think of any release on coins to make it so much.

legendary

well it helps if you are sending your miners there.
legendary
Activity: 1456

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

legendary
Better yet I rented 1ph last night just to do this photo

that is me controlling 1ph for about 1 hour last nite  that is ⅓ of 1 percent cost was just under .5 btc

I can rent 1 percent of the entire network for about an hour and point it at a non btc pool and drop the difficulty rate for some time.

I am still thinking of renting some hashrate. Is there a way to check if the rented hashrate is doing a block withholding attack?

If I want to rent 1PH for 1 hour what is the best way to do it? Fixed or Standard?

There's no way you can tell if they are performing a block withholding attack if you only rent 1PH for an hour. It only is possible to find out for sure once you can 'prove' the lack of blocks are not just from luck.

IE if you rent enough hashrate to mine 100 blocks and mine 0 blocks, you can deduce that a block withholding attack is occuring.

If you only rent enough hashrate to mine an average of 0.01 blocks, and you get 0 blocks, you can't deduce anything. It's possible that a block withholding attack is occuring--It's also possible you aren't lucky. I hope that helps.

@armedmilitia

You are correct but any pool can simply do an occasional block withholding by dropping shares above 32billion.  You would need to be on your toes to catch it. In some cases you just won't be able  to detect it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ all readin this

my point was the hash is  pointed at a non- btc pool  such as the infamous paycoin of gaw miners.  you create a new coin and allow it to be mined by 256 hash. so the hash is moved off the btc network and on to the paycoin network.  They pumped and dumped the coin. Sometimes 6-8ph was rented on nice and west hash and directed at paycoin.

If you really look at what Gaw-zen miner did they showed you how to attack btc and make money.   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now as for nicehash withholding that hash  by having a program withhold any share above 32billion. Yes  they can as can any pool operator.

Now I have hit 1 block with nicehash rentals here it is:

I am lazy I do not feel like adding all my rentals up, but I don't think I rented more then 20-30 btc and I did hit a block so my luck is well within 'normal'

Activity: 562
Merit: 506
We're going to need a bigger heatsink.
Better yet I rented 1ph last night just to do this photo

that is me controlling 1ph for about 1 hour last nite  that is ⅓ of 1 percent cost was just under .5 btc

I can rent 1 percent of the entire network for about an hour and point it at a non btc pool and drop the difficulty rate for some time.

I am still thinking of renting some hashrate. Is there a way to check if the rented hashrate is doing a block withholding attack?

If I want to rent 1PH for 1 hour what is the best way to do it? Fixed or Standard?

There's no way you can tell if they are performing a block withholding attack if you only rent 1PH for an hour. It only is possible to find out for sure once you can 'prove' the lack of blocks are not just from luck.

IE if you rent enough hashrate to mine 100 blocks and mine 0 blocks, you can deduce that a block withholding attack is occuring.

If you only rent enough hashrate to mine an average of 0.01 blocks, and you get 0 blocks, you can't deduce anything. It's possible that a block withholding attack is occuring--It's also possible you aren't lucky. I hope that helps.
Activity: 562
Merit: 506
We're going to need a bigger heatsink.
I'll guess -4.01% to -4.25%.

Price has declined significantly, plus the latest increase in difficulty has caused a net shrinkage in hashrate, IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Bitwisdom:

Bitcoin Difficulty:    49,446,390,688
Estimated Next Difficulty:    49,032,386,045 (-0.84%)
Adjust time:    After 1119 Blocks, About 8.0 days

It's a little higher than phil's earlier post.  We will see if trend goes up slowly.   Hopefully it changes and goes back down.
legendary
The picks end in about 12 hours.

The list is as follows:

-3.26 to   - 3.50    shapeshift
-3.01 to  -  3.25    tss
-2.76 to  -  3.00    Last of the V8's
-2.51 to  -  2.76    alh-------------------shooting for a 3-peat
-2.26 to  -  2.50    crazyivan
-2.01 to  -  2.25    Chris_Sabian
-1.76 to  -  2.00    sana54210
-1.51 to  -  1.75     RoadStress
-1.26 to  -  1.50    stonerider ------------------ corrected from -1.126 to -1.151
-1.01  to -  1.25    philipma1957
-0.76  to -  1.00   GreatNorthData
-0.51  to -  0.75   davejh
-0.26  to -  0.50   SunnyIgor
-0.01  to -  0.25   Lboss
-------0.00-------  A4Tech
+0.01 to + 0.25   MegaFall
+0.26  to + 0.50   jmumich------------
+0.51 to + 0.75   bisom
+0.76 to + 1.00   EMIF
+1.01 to + 1.25   SimplisticStu
+1.26 to + 1.50   Kexkey
+1.51 to + 1.75   RealMalatesta
+1.76 to + 2.00   ereton
+2.01 to + 2.25   Mikestang
+2.26 to + 2.50   Biodom
+2.51 to + 2.76   Quickseller
+2.76 to + 3.00   ezeminer------------------corrected from 2.75 to 3.00
+3.01 to + 3.25   tertius993

+3.26 to + 3.50 --------------open --------  Last of the V8s Switched

+3.51 to + 3.75    wpt1wpt1
+3.76 to + 4.00    tlhIlwI
+4.01 to + 4.25    HerbPean
+4.26 to + 4.50 ---------------open--------    shapeshift  Switched
+4.51 to + 4.75    valkir
+4.76 to + 5.00    Korbman
+5.01 to + 5.25    geforcelover
+5.26 to + 5.50     notlist3d
+5.51 to + 5.75    coinits

+6.01 to  + 6.25    Amph-------------------corrected from 6.01 to 6.25
+6.26 to  + 6.50    sloopy
+6.51 to  + 6.75    zekarsalih

we are filled in solid at  all of the 33 possible ranges   in the   -2.50 to +5.75 zone.

5.76 to 6.00 is open

+6.76 and up endless ranges

and  a lot of negative ranges available if you go from -2.76 > lower

I think this is up to date

nicolocado please try a different pick it was taken

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty   is at (-0.90)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qmF2knc5rSrJLESgQJYBz8mPzpKihmSzPPQUGH7pT8g/edit#gid=1784567491

is at (-2.46%)

https://www.coinbase.com/buys  is at 238 USD

we have about 1122 blocks to go.

legendary
===snip===
I don't understand why you are paying a premium to mine BTC on another pool? I don't see it as being profitable in any way.

As I understand , he was trying to prove to decrease the difficulty just by renting some huge HP. So , it can be possible to manipulate difficulty doing this way , maybe its even possible to affect BTC market price to creating  a sensation that miners shut down their devices.

yes it is that example.

also when I rented my .497 btc worth I paid 0.0098 which is lower then the current th rate of the difficulty

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty   plug in 1 th and up pops 0.01017

here was my rental I did it in the middle of the night and got the good price.

note I did no limit th which gave me all the  hash that was at 0.0098 or lower

Pages:
Jump to: