Pages:
Author

Topic: Nexious.com WARNING POOL OPERATOR IS NOT PAYING NOR RESPONDING - page 3. (Read 34876 times)

legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
kano, man to man, seriously... what is your beef?  I'd much appreciate a one on one discussion on why the hell you feel the need to follow me around and bash me and Eligius constantly.  I really must be missing some underlying cause because it's crazy, man.  I honestly do not know what the hell I've done to offend you to deserve such crap. Sad
You really don't know or are you feigning ignorance? Your continued association with the worst software troll bitcoin has and the only person I have on ignore.

Interesting.  So because I occasionally speak with someone you two have had drama with in the past, I'm automatically a target of non-stop BS.  So, basically school-girl drama.  Got it.  Thanks for the explanation.  Edit:  Was I giving too much credit to you and kano thinking that I may have been being judged alone on my own merits?  Undecided

Not that it's any of your business, but I'll note that I've associated more with people in this thread in the past few days than I have with with person you seem to hate so much over the entire past few months.  Also for the record, I'm the only one involved in the day to day operation of Eligius these days and the only one with access to the vast majority of the infrastructure, and this has been the case for quite some time... seems to be lost on some people though.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
kano, man to man, seriously... what is your beef?  I'd much appreciate a one on one discussion on why the hell you feel the need to follow me around and bash me and Eligius constantly.  I really must be missing some underlying cause because it's crazy, man.  I honestly do not know what the hell I've done to offend you to deserve such crap. Sad
You really don't know or are you feigning ignorance? Your continued association with the worst software troll bitcoin has and the only person I have on ignore.
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Should mine on Eligius or P2Pool, both of which pay miners directly from the coinbase generation transaction.  No middleman for the majority of payouts, can look at your miner's debug logs (or other tool) to see exactly who you're working to pay.

At the very least, mine on a pool with a good track record.  I could see stuff like this becoming a trend. Sad
"majority"

Except Eligius doesn't ... sometimes, and the coins can spend months waiting for the eligius middleman to send them to miners ... as you well know yourself.

Since, as with any pool, there's the question of how much you are paid ... there's also the obvious point about the long term luck of the pool, that is under the control of the pool.
Yes you may like to pretend that everything that happens at your pool is luck, but that's a lie.

For the last year (most likely years) your pool block change times have been terrible and part of the cause of the low "luck".
You have only recently made any reasonable changes regarding that (in the last month or so)
Your changes before that, in the previous years, to over come the shortcomings of your pool software, were (among other thing) to:
1) For 5 months only allow 32 transactions per block
2) For years and still currently, mine empty blocks every network block change, yet your block change times are still slow using this, bad for bitcoin, excuse.

You even effectively made the most ridiculous statement about your own pool payouts trying to point out a short coming of PPS Smiley
Antpool and f2pool also don't pay transaction fees to miners.  This is going to become more important, especially after the next reward halving.
Your pool pays less than PPS with an absolute maximum limit of PPS ... so when reward halves, so does your pool payout ... just like it does for Antpool and f2pool and for the same reason.
... and as with most limit functions ... limits are rarely reached.

Trolling as usual without any real knowledge of the situation.  Honestly, I think it's more an unwillingness to accept the knowledge presented rather than total ignorance... but the result is still the same.

I did specifically say "majority of payouts" for a reason.  Eligius has a minimum payout, like most pools.  P2Pool has one too, it's just less obvious and dictated by the max coinbase size by increasing share difficulties.  P2Pool can include "every" miner's payout in every block because it makes those payouts larger by making the work harder.  Eligius's offline wallet accumulates the small amount of coins that miners who haven't yet reached the minimum payout and does manual catch ups of the payout queue when this amount gets to something reasonable.  The offline wallet is also used for times when the coinbaser is unavailable immediately, such as the quick block change optimization below.  Every Eligius payout since the beginning of time is verifiable 100% using the blockchain and the pool APIs, and people regularly do so and it is fully encouraged.  If there is a satoshi out of place, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Even with the offline wallet, the payout queue allows miners to get generated payouts once they reach the minimum payout.  So a miner that isn't able to reach the minimum every block will still get coinbase generated payouts for the majority of their payouts.  To date Eligius-Ra (iteration of the pool that I took over management of) has mined ~10,224 blocks and made 172 non-generated manual payouts.  I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Eligius's supposed block change time delays in the past as measured by you and others was nearly 100% caused by connection prioritization.  Zombie miners leeching off of block changes that are doing little to no actual mining relative to the rest of the pool have their connection priority dropped to nothing.  Effectively these connections wouldn't get any data pushed to them until well after 99% of the pool had received several work updates and when the coinbaser had caught up and all (not realtime) pushing GBs of work to over 100,000 active connections.  Eligius easily handles peak loads of over 250,000 miner connections regularly.  Takes quite a bit of bandwidth to push work to all of these miners, on the order of multiple terabytes per day easily.  

I recently decided that de-prioritization just wasn't sufficient and I just boot zombie miners now, freeing up tons of bandwidth in the process.  Only personally approved users and/or IPs may idle on Eligius without mining without being booted in a FIFO order now with a set number of connections allocated to zombies (mostly people who have us as a backup pool, with some prioritization logic in there along those  lines).  Prioritization is still in play, and zombie connections still have low priority.  It just is less noticeable now since everything can be caught up in milliseconds vs seconds.  I'll probably boost priority on the nifty poolbench stat eventually, but I currently don't override my setup for any connections aside from not booting approved zombies.

I don't believe the 32 transactions per block situation took place while Eligius was under my management, with the exception of blocks generated with PoT transaction counts to counter a bitcoin CVE, which were blocks with a PoT number of transactions, not just 32.  The only time any limits anywhere like that are placed on Eligius's blocks is when I'm doing work on one of the core bitcoinds and a sub-section of the pool is utilizing a secondary node with less horsepower and more strict relay settings and such to ensure continued smooth mining for the few minutes it takes to get the core node back online.

As for empty blocks, any pool or miner *not* using the 1-transaction initial work speedup on a network block change is just stupidly wasting miner resources, IMO.  Pool immediately gets miners on the right block, and as soon as GBT returns with an updated transaction list gets miners working on full blocks.  The fact that Eligius (and most other pools) find these coinbase-only blocks proves to value of such an optimization.  They do no harm to bitcoin since they fulfill the primary purpose of mining, which is securing the network.  All blocks are now deeper in the chain (more confirmations) because of the new block.  You don't want to hear that though, and would rather spend time trolling and spreading FUD about it.

Admittedly, ckpool, being C based (and with the less obvious advantage of most ckpool-based pools being smaller on a connection-count basis than Eligius) would probably benefit greatly from such an optimization and have block change times second to no other pools besides HO-mining/SPV-mining pools.  I was actually considering moving Eligius to ckpool until I was made aware of bugs that can potentially cheat miners in some situations (no time to confirm this, but the code appears to do so during some vardiff changes), has kludges like submitting blocks that don't meet the network target, and doesn't include a basic well known mining optimization (described above).  Fixable stuff I suppose, but not worth it.

Transaction fees are included with Eligius, so... not sure what that comment was about.  Just more trolling, as usual.  And you do realize that *all* pools will pay half as much after a reward halving, right?  I thought that was well understood?  I mean, if your pool is still paying based on pre-halving amounts I'll be pointing some hash power your way until you go broke...

Fun fact:  I had kano on ignore because the incessant trolling is ridiculous, but can see quoted posts... kano, man to man, seriously... what is your beef?  I'd much appreciate a one on one discussion on why the hell you feel the need to follow me around and bash me and Eligius constantly.  I really must be missing some underlying cause because it's crazy, man.  I honestly do not know what the hell I've done to offend you to deserve such crap. Sad
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
JB - you have the patience of a saint  Grin Wink

Perhaps he is! What do you think made him found the first ever block on this pool?
LOL.  Believe me... if I'm ever up for canonization, the world is in a REALLY bad place Tongue.  I enjoy far too many things that aren't exactly qualifiers (two of which I mentioned above).

there's more active discussions going on in this pool thread now than when the pool was actually running.
Lets just change the thread name to St.JonnyBravo Pool and go mine with him.  Smiley   
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
JB - you have the patience of a saint  Grin Wink

Perhaps he is! What do you think made him found the first ever block on this pool?
LOL.  Believe me... if I'm ever up for canonization, the world is in a REALLY bad place Tongue.  I enjoy far too many things that aren't exactly qualifiers (two of which I mentioned above).
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
As sad as it is, I think Phil had it correct earlier: the best thing that could have happened was for me to find a block and expose this as a scam.  I'm very sorry for those who put their faith, hash and coin into this misadventure, and I am very happy that I was able to put an end to it when I did, preventing people from losing even more.  I made it away pretty unscathed.  Unfortunately, a good number of people weren't as lucky.
Activity: 179
Merit: 131
JB - you have the patience of a saint  Grin Wink

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

Exactly my thoughts
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
This really sucks guys :-(
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
The constant flow of bourbon and American Spirits keeps me in check Tongue
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
I was indeed replying to your question to kano.  Unfortunately the answer you're looking for is not as simple as the question appears to be Smiley.

Let me try another approach to see if it helps you understand the differences between the two pools.  The hash rate is really not relevant as long as it is consistent between the two pools.

Mining on Eligius, you will absolutely never have any possibility to make more than however many shares you've submitted.  You are absolutely capped at 100% of expected earnings.  Reality is you will not make 100% because of factors like orphaned blocks.

Mining on kano, you have the possibility to make more or less than expected earnings dependent upon the luck of the pool.

Let's look at some real numbers.  You are mining at 100GH/s.  This means that you would expect to submit 23.28 difficulty 1 shares every second (100,000,000,000 / 2^32).  With a network difficulty of 65,848,255,179 each of those shares is worth 0.00000000037966BTC.  There are 86,400 seconds in a day.  Therefore, your expected earnings per day are 0.000763644672BTC.

Not surprisingly, this is exactly what an online calculator would show you as well.  For the sake of your example, we're going to assume that the difficulty will not change for the entire 12 weeks.  In reality, it would change about 6 times.  So, keeping the difficulty constant, your 100GH/s mining would expect to earn 0.064146152448BTC in 12 weeks.  At current rates, that's about $20.79.

Ok... now if we go back to my original statement, with Eligius, you can never, ever make more than that 0.064146152448BTC in those 12 weeks.  On kano, you can make more than that, or you can make less.  Kano's pool has, since inception, been running about 101% luck.  That has no bearing on future luck - it is just a metric of past performance.  However, it is a metric that shows had you been mining on Eligius for the past year and on kano for the past year, given identical hash rates on each pool, you would have made more on kano.
First, let me clarify the way Eligius works.  They are not a true PPS pool.  They cap the number of shares, and they shelve shares that cannot be paid.  Kano is a PPLNS pool.  They also cap the number of shares you get paid.  The primary difference between Eligius and kano is the following:

A share in Eligius will get paid exactly one time.
A share in Kano can potentially be paid multiple times.

So, pool luck plays a factor in how many times a share gets paid in Kano.  Pool luck plays a factor in whether or not your share will be paid in Eligius.

Right now, Eligius can pay exactly 65,848,255,179 shares per block.  It doesn't matter if it took them 1 share or 1,000,000,000,000,000 shares to find that block, the maximum they pay is equal to the difficulty.  If it took Eligius fewer than difficulty number of shares to solve the block, then they can look into the shelved shares and pay out some of those.  If it took Eligius more than difficulty number of shares to solve the block, then they shelve the shares.  Maybe you get paid for them, maybe you don't.

Does this help clarify things for you?

I guess you are referring to my questions to Kano. If so, thanks a lot for trying to clarify that.

However, I am actually looking for more practical answer as to which one between CKPool and Eligius pays more to the miner with low hashrate, e.g. 100 GH/s, for the exact same period of mining which on the scenario I mentioned is 12 weeks. From what I have experienced so far on Eligius, I get only around 10 mBTC for 2 weeks of mining. I could possibly get more if my miners (Antminer U3) are more stable. I guess I have to try CKPool myself to get a definite answer to that question.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10

[/quote]

I ran this in honor of all of us that lost 25 +10 btc combined.  I gave it 24 plus hours. Sadly no block.

http://solo.ckpool.org/users/1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53Vbtje
[/quote]

That was very generous of you. Nice to know there are a few good people out there.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
First, let me clarify the way Eligius works.  They are not a true PPS pool.  They cap the number of shares, and they shelve shares that cannot be paid.  Kano is a PPLNS pool.  They also cap the number of shares you get paid.  The primary difference between Eligius and kano is the following:

A share in Eligius will get paid exactly one time.
A share in Kano can potentially be paid multiple times.

So, pool luck plays a factor in how many times a share gets paid in Kano.  Pool luck plays a factor in whether or not your share will be paid in Eligius.

Right now, Eligius can pay exactly 65,848,255,179 shares per block.  It doesn't matter if it took them 1 share or 1,000,000,000,000,000 shares to find that block, the maximum they pay is equal to the difficulty.  If it took Eligius fewer than difficulty number of shares to solve the block, then they can look into the shelved shares and pay out some of those.  If it took Eligius more than difficulty number of shares to solve the block, then they shelve the shares.  Maybe you get paid for them, maybe you don't.

Does this help clarify things for you?

I am not going going to answer for Kano here. But this is a Nexious Pool thread. Well was a nexious pool thread. You would most likely get a better and quicker response if you asked him directly under his pools thread which can be found here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/kanopool-kanois-lowest-09-fee-since-2014-worldwide-2432-blocks-789369. But I do know that Kano's pool pays out like this.

I asked my question here because Kano commented here. I am quite sure that it would be considered offensive if I would ask my questions on his pool's thread.

I hope this clears up your questions

Thanks. But that is exactly what are written on CKPool and Eligius pools. So no, that does not clear up my questions whether CKPool provides better payout than Eligius for the scenario that I mentioned or not. I think Eligius gives better payout in that scenario and perhaps most of scenarios for low hashrate miners. But I could be totally wrong, hence the questions.
Activity: 778
Merit: 515
Should mine on Eligius or P2Pool, both of which pay miners directly from the coinbase generation transaction.  No middleman for the majority of payouts, can look at your miner's debug logs (or other tool) to see exactly who you're working to pay.

At the very least, mine on a pool with a good track record.  I could see stuff like this becoming a trend. Sad
"majority"

Except Eligius doesn't ... sometimes, and the coins can spend months waiting for the eligius middleman to send them to miners ... as you well know yourself.

Since, as with any pool, there's the question of how much you are paid ... there's also the obvious point about the long term luck of the pool, that is under the control of the pool.
Yes you may like to pretend that everything that happens at your pool is luck, but that's a lie.

For the last year (most likely years) your pool block change times have been terrible and part of the cause of the low "luck".
You have only recently made any reasonable changes regarding that (in the last month or so)
Your changes before that, in the previous years, to over come the shortcomings of your pool software, were (among other thing) to:
2) For years and still currently, mine empty blocks every network block change, yet your block change times are still slow using this, bad for bitcoin, excuse.

You even effectively made the most ridiculous statement about your own pool payouts trying to point out a short coming of PPS Smiley
Antpool and f2pool also don't pay transaction fees to miners.  This is going to become more important, especially after the next reward halving.
Your pool pays less than PPS with an absolute maximum limit of PPS ... so when reward halves, so does your pool payout ... just like it does for Antpool and f2pool and for the same reason.

Hi Kano,

I am new to Bitcoin mining with only a few GH/s hashrate. I have tried some pools and I finally chose to mine on Eligius pool. I believe it is the most fair pool for miner with low hashrate like me. Looking at the total hashrate, I believe the miners trust Eligius more than other pools run by volunteers, which is much more than the total hashrate of for instance CKPool.

I didn't try CKPool as I believe I would not get the payout for whole shares due to my low hashrate. The other reason I didn't try CKPool is your comments toward Eligius pool like I quoted above, which I found them mostly offensive so that do not help me to get fair perspective. But perhaps that is due to my lack of understanding. So if you don't mind to explain why do you think CKPool is better than Eligius in term of the payout using the example below, I would really appreciate that.

Suppose Eligius pool finds a new and valid block on the 12th week. In the the previous 12 weeks, I submitted 1,000,000 valid shares each week and my total shares value exceeds the payout threshold on the 8th week. From what I experience, the whole of that 12,000,000 shares is being paid out on that 12th week, without any deduction for fee.

I still cannot entirely understand the payment scheme explained on CKPool site. But I believe I would get less payout on CKPool for the same scenario above. If not, could you please explain how much I would get from CKPool for the above scenario?

Cheers,

Anto

Mornig Anto,

I am not going going to answer for Kano here. But this is a Nexious Pool thread. Well was a nexious pool thread. You would most likely get a better and quicker response if you asked him directly under his pools thread which can be found here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/kanopool-kanois-lowest-09-fee-since-2014-worldwide-2432-blocks-789369. But I do know that Kano's pool pays out like this.

Kano's Pool uses PPLNS (Pay Per Last N Shares)

PPLNS means that when a block is found, the block reward is shared among the last N shares that miners sent to the pool, up to when the block was found.
The N value the pool uses is 5 times the network difficulty when the block is found - '5Nd'.

The 5Nd means the pool rewards 5 times the expected number of shares, each time a block is found.
So each share will be paid appoximately 1/5 of it's expected value, in each block it gets a reward,
but each share is also expected, on average, to be rewarded 5 times in blocks found after the share is submitted to the pool.
i.e. if pool luck was always 100% then each share is expected to be rewarded 5 times.

If pool luck is better than 100%, then the average share reward will be better than 5 times.
If pool luck is lower than 100%, then the average share reward will be less than 5 times.

What is the 5Nd you may ask.

The current Bitcoin network value for Nd is 65,848,255,179.7 and thus 5Nd is 329,241,275,898.5
Bitcoin adjusts the Nd value every 2016 blocks, which is about every 2 weeks.

When a block is found, the reward process counts back shifts until the total share difficulty included is 5Nd.
Since shares are summarised into shifts, it will include the full shift at the end of the range counting backwards,
so it usually will be a bit more than 5Nd.

And here is how Eligus pays out.

Basic Idea
Capped PPS with Recent Backpay
Whenever a block is found, the most recent 25 BTC (a CPPSRB round; one block reward/subsidy) worth of unpaid shares are paid.
Using the proportional concept of rounds, a long round results in the earlier shares being shoved into storage (shelved) rather than paid by the block, and a short round pays the entire round plus the most recent "storage" (shelved) shares found which were not already paid.

Compared to PPLNS, no share is ever paid twice, but old shares (that missed out on being rewarded due to poor luck in the past) have a chance to be paid when the pool is lucky.

Pseudo Code

When a block is found:

Go back 25 BTC into the share log, and reward those at PPS price.
Delete those shares from the log
If the entire database was paid and there are still funds left, include it in the next block's reward
When a block is orphaned:

Undelete the shares rewarded for it

In simple terms, what is a summary of CPPSRB?
CPPSRB is a Maximum Pay-Per-Share reward system variant (MPPS). The pool will pay miners as much as is possible using the income from finding blocks, but the pool can never go bankrupt because of high variance and miners have lower variance overall than other reward systems, such as proportional, PPLNS, DGM, etc.

What is this "Shelved Shares" business?
Shelved Shares are simply shares that you have somewhere in the full pool share log that are not yet close enough to the top of the share log to be paid when the next block is found.

How am I paid for my Shelved Shares?
CPPSRB shares are paid in a last-in-first-out order. When a block is found, the share log is processed from the top downward and shares are paid until one full block reward (25 BTC now) worth of shares are paid. If the current round is a "lucky" round (ie: it took less than 1*network_difficuly shares to find the block) then the top of the share log will contain shares from the current round AND some shelved shares from previous rounds, which will then be paid.
So the short answer is: Some amount of shelved shares are paid for every lucky block (on the stats page, a block with a luck > 100%). Depending on how far down in the share log your shelved shares are determines if they're paid by the current block or not. (See your userstats page and note the estimated change in shelved shares. Negative means that amount will be paid if a block is found now.) (In the works: Share log visualization)

Does the pool *owe* me payout of my Shelved Shares?
No. The shelved shares are shares that pool itself never received any funds to pay in the first place. The only way shelved shares can be paid is as described above. (If someone of course wanted to donate bitcoins to the pool buffer, then of course more would be paid.)

Do my shares retain their value from the time they were mined regardless of difficulty changes in the future?
How does CPPSRB compare to straight PPS?
With "straight PPS" the pool takes the risk of paying miners during unlucky rounds and recovering the losses during lucky rounds. with CPPSRB, the pool only pays miners as much as is possible during unlucky rounds, and makes up the difference through "shelved shares", which are paid during lucky rounds.

Since Eligius has no mining fees, your shares are put in the share log at 100% PPS. Over time, payouts will average out to as if you had mined at 100% "straight PPS", or close to it, depending on luck.
It is useful to note that it is statistically impossible to offer and run a 100% (or higher) "straight PPS" pool indefinitely, where CPPSRB can run indefinitely with no risk to the pool or miners of not being paid their fair share for their work.

I hope this clears up your questions

"majority"

Hi Kano,

I am new to Bitcoin mining with only a few GH/s hashrate. I have tried some pools and I finally chose to mine on Eligius pool. I believe it is the most fair pool for miner with low hashrate like me. Looking at the total hashrate, I believe the miners trust Eligius more than other pools run by volunteers, which is much more than the total hashrate of for instance CKPool.

I didn't try CKPool as I believe I would not get the payout for whole shares due to my low hashrate. The other reason I didn't try CKPool is your comments toward Eligius pool like I quoted above, which I found them mostly offensive so that do not help me to get fair perspective. But perhaps that is due to my lack of understanding. So if you don't mind to explain why do you think CKPool is better than Eligius in term of the payout using the example below, I would really appreciate that.

Suppose Eligius pool finds a new and valid block on the 12th week. In the the previous 12 weeks, I submitted 1,000,000 valid shares each week and my total shares value exceeds the payout threshold on the 8th week. From what I experience, the whole of that 12,000,000 shares is being paid out on that 12th week, without any deduction for fee.

I still cannot entirely understand the payment scheme explained on CKPool site. But I believe I would get less payout on CKPool for the same scenario above. If not, could you please explain how much I would get from CKPool for the above scenario?

Cheers,

Anto
Pages:
Jump to: