Pages:
Author

Topic: Next level Bitcoin stress test -- June 29-30 13:00 GMT 2015 - page 12. (Read 16034 times)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100
I give a shit
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
They said on Reddit that the test is happening tomorrow. Can we believe them this time?

Who gives a shit any more? I don't know what they hoped to gain from the first one, let alone all the other blanks they've fired.
They said on Reddit that the test is happening tomorrow. Can we believe them this time?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
You are right to some point, it will fail, but it will also give some useful information.

Oh, definitely.  I'm more than in support of stress tests themselves, as they're an integral part of any network.  Basically, I'm just questioning the motive of these recent "stress tests" due to the timing.  I'm assuming it's just Gavin and Mike trying to say, "see, bitcoin is broken, move over to XT", although I could be wrong.

Bitcoin is both core version and xt, bitcoin is not broken. The only question is; is it needed to increase it's block size , and i agree it is.
It makes much more sense to do the "upgrade" while it's still doing the job, rather than wait for it to be too late., don't you think so ?

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
You are right to some point, it will fail, but it will also give some useful information.

Oh, definitely.  I'm more than in support of stress tests themselves, as they're an integral part of any network.  Basically, I'm just questioning the motive of these recent "stress tests" due to the timing.  I'm assuming it's just Gavin and Mike trying to say, "see, bitcoin is broken, move over to XT", although I could be wrong.

I don't think it is Gavin and company (or the other devs).
During the last test, the "testers" discovered that when they pushed so many transactions, bitcoind crashed.
That is what happens normally. A custom setup or etc should be used for such a test and frankly, if the network was "attacked" by some nefarious group (governments, bankers, hackers, etc) they would being using custom progs to damage the network.

So, since the testers didn't know that bitcoind could handle it the first time, makes me believe it isn't any of the devs.
Activity: 318
Merit: 251

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
There are over 3000 unconfirmed transactions now. Is that the normal number?

There were quite a few closely spaced blocks but now the gaps are increasing and the last block was almost 1 MB. The tester said the test would run for 24 hours. Is there a chance it might start disrupting the network if it takes longer than normal to find blocks from now on?

legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
These "stress tests" are a little dumb, and nothing more than a propaganda stunt.  We all know what the limits of bitcoin are, and the core devs definitely do.

It's like me putting a pot of water on the stove at 150C, and saying, "see, it boils!  the stress test proved itself!".

It defeats the purpose.  Those conducting these tests know exactly what the limits of the network are, so obviously if you push a test over those limits it's going to fail.  Same as if I said I'm going to "stress test" aluminum, put it under a temperature of more than 660C, then day, "see, it failed the test!".  Well, I knew from the onset it was going to fail that test.

You are right to some point, it will fail, but it will also give some useful information. You see, even tho stress test seams useless, it does at least show :

-how much "damage" can only one entity/organisation do to the network
-it will show costs needed to do such a stunt
-you can use that data to understand what the next move in securing the network should be.

I'm not a fan of these  "tests" either, especially when they come at a time of my weekly debit card top-up  Roll Eyes , but bitcoin is at a point where it will be tested in many ways,
just for people to see it's capabilities, because it's not the question of what can bitcoin do and how it can preform now, it's about how it will preform when it starts doing
what it was created to do - to be the worldwide general audience means of transfering and storing of value.

4k+ unconfirmed transactions, so far.
Total Fees   1.04582505 BTC
Total Size   1922.1826171875 (KB)

cheers
Activity: 318
These "stress tests" are a little dumb, and nothing more than a propaganda stunt.  We all know what the limits of bitcoin are, and the core devs definitely do.

It's like me putting a pot of water on the stove at 150C, and saying, "see, it boils!  the stress test proved itself!".

It defeats the purpose.  Those conducting these tests know exactly what the limits of the network are, so obviously if you push a test over those limits it's going to fail.  Same as if I said I'm going to "stress test" aluminum, put it under a temperature of more than 660C, then say, "see, it melted, hence failed the test!".  Well, I knew from the onset that was going to be the result.

legendary
Activity: 910
So 2 failed stress tests in a row?  Who are these guys again?
Activity: 466
Merit: 500
4 of the last 5 blocks were filled to the limit, could be back underway. Mempool already passing the block limit less than 1 minute after the last block.

look at the transaction sizes, too small
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
All of Op's server received an error message: "Warning, the frequency of your transaction is abnormal, thus your transaction is automatically disabled from bitcoin network for 24 hours by Gavin's secret code"  Wink
So they did not conduct this test at all. The question is why?

I'm disappointed  Sad
Activity: 640
According to http://statoshi.info/dashboard/db/transactions, there is no noticeable change in either the "transactions per second" or the "bytes per transaction" charts in the past few hours. Is the test really going on?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
This stress test can be useful to detect weak places in blockchain.

and it is useful to detect people who cant do proper stress tests.
It could be useful, if it would actually happen..
Activity: 380
This stress test can be useful to detect weak places in blockchain.
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
EDIT: Just got 3 blocks in 3 minutes, lol. Blockchain is way faster than usual this hour and the test the OP describes wouldnt be able to keep up.

8 blocks in 30 minutes.

Actually seems the blocks have quite low numbers of transactions.

363069 is completely empty, other than coinbase.

That's not going to help.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

They only were going to generate 1 mb of data every 5 minutes, the current rate of data increase is in line with or exceeding that. IF they can sustain the test instead of crashing it should add up over time to a big mempool.

You are right, I misread the amount of data.

EDIT: Just got 3 blocks in 3 minutes, lol. Blockchain is way faster than usual this hour and the test the OP describes wouldnt be able to keep up.

8 blocks in 30 minutes.

Miners luck goes against OP's luck, this should normalize with some time.

You know this lasts max 32 hours....
Activity: 637

They only were going to generate 1 mb of data every 5 minutes, the current rate of data increase is in line with or exceeding that. IF they can sustain the test instead of crashing it should add up over time to a big mempool.

You are right, I misread the amount of data.

8 blocks in 30 minutes.

Miners luck goes against OP's luck, this should normalize with some time.
Pages:
Jump to: