Pages:
Author

Topic: Next level Bitcoin stress test -- June 29-30 13:00 GMT 2015 - page 4. (Read 16032 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
because this is like waiting 1h for email delivery..
No, your "mail" is delivered. Its just not confirmed yet.

uhh ok, so the mail is delivered, but I'm unable to read to content and have to wait unknown time, because lot of guys sending mails.. (btw, yesterday I have to wait 5 hours and 28 minutes for first confirmation)

..if you don't feel this like a problem, believe or not, but it IS problem.
More like you can't prove who sent the email for unknown time. Which is actually true, since email is basically always insecure.
Right, but in this analogy, you can't reply or act on the information in the email until you figure that out (no spending coins that aren't confirmed yours yet).
Except Bitcoin does allow spending unconfirmed coins. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

uhh ok, so the mail is delivered, but I'm unable to read to content and have to wait unknown time, because lot of guys sending mails.. (btw, yesterday I have to wait 5 hours and 28 minutes for first confirmation)

More like you can't prove who sent the email for unknown time. Which is actually true, since email is basically always insecure.
Right, but in this analogy, you can't reply or act on the information in the email until you figure that out (no spending coins that aren't confirmed yours yet).  Actually, the analogy is getting rather stretched by now as you aptly transition to below.

A better analogy would be credit card transactions. Those take 6 months to confirm.
legendary

A better analogy would be credit card transactions. Those take 6 months to confirm.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
/dev/null

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
if the blocks were 20mb, there would be no controversy as all tx's would fit happily with no bottleneck..

yeah. I really think, that we need some change with this block magic asap, because now waiting almost hour for FIRST confirmation, even I paid fee. we should be lucky, that bitcoin is not massively adopted yet, because this is like waiting 1h for email delivery..

No, your "mail" is delivered. Its just not confirmed yet. Besides what you experienced was the "normal" rush to ~6k TX. That is a daily even between ~1800 CEST and ~0100 CEST. Its probably european/us prime time to spend/move coins.

-snip-
No, if blocks were 20 MB, the damage would be 20 times worse and literally destroy Bitcoin.
No matter what the limit is, or how big blocks are, spam should never be mined, and can never be supported (it would literally require infinite block sizes).

Bigger blocks would - for one - make these kinds of attacks more expensive. This stress test is only slightly effecting others because OP is burning coins as fees and miners are - as its intended - greedy. If the max blocksize is 2 MB the same attack would have needed 40 BTC instead of 20 BTC[1] to have the same effect. How bigger blocks would worsen the effect is not right away clear to me, if they are full, they are full and others have to wait.

[1] According to OP that are the funds dedicated to this test, I did not check how realistic this is.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
imagine a company wanted to pay its 10,000 staff in bitcoin. and it sent out tx's as such.. luke jr would block the tx.
Hard to take you seriously when you just blatantly lie and slander me...

if the blocks were 20mb, there would be no controversy as all tx's would fit happily with no bottleneck..
No, if blocks were 20 MB, the damage would be 20 times worse and literally destroy Bitcoin.
No matter what the limit is, or how big blocks are, spam should never be mined, and can never be supported (it would literally require infinite block sizes).
FUD as usual from you.

The number of transactions on the bitcoin network is NOT decided by the block size limit.

At some point in the future it MAY be a major factor, due to the block size being smaller than the demand for bitcoin transactions, but that is NOT the case now.
legendary

yeah. I really think, that we need some change with this block magic asap, because now waiting almost hour for FIRST confirmation, even I paid fee. we should be lucky, that bitcoin is not massively adopted yet, because this is like waiting 1h for email delivery..

Use blackcoin.  Way faster and more secure and you wouldn't have the issue of pools blacklisting transactions.

You probably don't have the issue of a company spending thousands of dollars to spam it with useless transactions either.  If you did, you might not consider that "blacklisting" to be problematic.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
is there any report of the stress test released like the last time?
for the last test i saw this: http://redd.it/3au3rs but i can't find anything like it for this one.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

Use blackcoin.  Way faster and more secure and you wouldn't have the issue of pools blacklisting transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Did the stress test affected today tx. ? I had a small tx. and payed fee but took to long about 4h to get confirmed.
legendary
imagine a company wanted to pay its 10,000 staff in bitcoin. and it sent out tx's as such.. luke jr would block the tx.

Since this is a technically minded discussion, I have to say that your suggestion that mining all spam would require infinite block sizes is clearly hyperbole.  Any amount of observable spam is finite.  No block-size limite would be something like a limit of infinity on block sizes, but since any observable amount of spam is finite we can go ahead and assume that all spam can fit into a finite block ('specially since you can't hope to mine an infinitely sized block anyway).

In any case, I really respect that you stood up for normal bitcoin users yesterday potentially at cost to yourself given the fees the spammers were paying.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
The "test" more and more turns into a ddos...
legendary
/dev/null
testing is still running or what? 1600TX per block and I'm waiting 20 minutes for first confirmation, even I paid recommended fee..

edit: 4.7k unconfirmed and still growing:( https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

Yes, now at 6.5K.  I was unaware of any "test" going on today but I'm also waiting over 1.5 hours now on a tx with a standard fee.  I didn't check the backlog status yesterday evening to see if things cleared out and this is a new wave of spam or if it's just ripple effects from yesterday's event.

otherwise, it is simply harming new bitcoin users..they all knows, that TX is almost free and takes something about 10 minutes and their first experience with default setup of wallet in non-reversible enviroment may be 2 hours (I'm actually waiting 2 hours now with default electrum fee paid)
legendary
testing is still running or what? 1600TX per block and I'm waiting 20 minutes for first confirmation, even I paid recommended fee..

edit: 4.7k unconfirmed and still growing:( https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

Yes, now at 6.5K.  I was unaware of any "test" going on today but I'm also waiting over 1.5 hours now on a tx with a standard fee.  I didn't check the backlog status yesterday evening to see if things cleared out and this is a new wave of spam or if it's just ripple effects from yesterday's event.
legendary
/dev/null

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
blocking a tx just because you think it is spam.. is bad.

i get the idea of blocking tx's that have values of less than a penny.. but blocking a tx due to data bloat needs careful consideration..

the problem is not that tx's need blocking. the problem is that the test is showing that even a small handfull of tx's can cause such controversy. if the blocks were 20mb, there would be no controversy as all tx's would fit happily with no bottleneck..

legendary
/dev/null

legendary
well i dont get why soo several things to be done to improve blockhain instead of it someone is testing it spped? Camon just do something better for bitcoin then some kind of test

I can't understand what you are saying which makes me think that you are just posting this to get paid for your signature ad.

Maybe if you slow down and used spellcheck it would help, but I can't guarantee it.

@ChetAtkins I'm pretty sure that was the record, but every node has it's own mempool so it'd be hard to say overall what the largest mempool ever was.  However, I imagine a public tracker like blockchain.info would be a reasonable stand-in, and it seems like it was a record on BCI.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
well i dont get why soo several things to be done to improve blockhain instead of it someone is testing it spped? Camon just do something better for bitcoin then some kind of test
Pages:
Jump to: