Pages:
Author

Topic: No Taxation...Donation! - page 8. (Read 4595 times)

WiW
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
April 25, 2013, 04:36:16 PM
I don't get it - why do some Bitcoin enthusiasts think that Bitcoin magically removes the need for a state?

It doesn't. It simply returns one's power to decide how to spend one's money. States are known to thrive on exactly the opposite.

It will be interesting what "states" will look like in a bitcoin world. States looking like they are today will certainly have a hard time not going bankrupt when everyone decides for themselves how to spend their money, instead of figureheads wasting it on bombs.

States will treat Bitcoin the way they treat gold or any other commodity.

Gold-based states and paper-based states look very different. Especially if you change the one parameter tech level = post industrial revolution. It will be interesting indeed, but I'm confident it will be different.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 25, 2013, 04:33:16 PM
I don't get it - why do some Bitcoin enthusiasts think that Bitcoin magically removes the need for a state?

It doesn't. It simply returns one's power to decide how to spend one's money. States are known to thrive on exactly the opposite.

It will be interesting what "states" will look like in a bitcoin world. States looking like they are today will certainly have a hard time not going bankrupt when everyone decides for themselves how to spend their money, instead of figureheads wasting it on bombs.

States will treat Bitcoin the way they treat gold or any other commodity.
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
April 25, 2013, 04:30:40 PM

legendary
April 25, 2013, 04:28:30 PM
Taxes are needed.

1. I don't go to school, and my kids are not old enough, and will go to private when they are.
Why should I have to pay for schools? If I had the choice I wouldn't.
2. I hardly use the roads, and when I go long distance, I pay a toll to use the road.
Why should I be paying for roads all over the state of Florida? If I had the choice I wouldn't.
3. I don't go to hospitals, why should I pay for others to go? Don't get yourself injured.
I hardly leave my house, why should I pay because some idiot ran into a tree on his motorcycle?

As you can see, I'm selfish, just like most of the population. If I don't use it, why pay for it?
Though, knowing society will fall without everyone else to using my money, I will pay up.

Those are valid questions, though i don't see why society would fall because you're sitting home alone, unmolested.

If no one was paying money into things they don't use, society will fall.

You are right but brace yourself for frantic whines of people who insist that the time to charge for a fire service is when the fire has already started.

You mean nobody would pay for any kind of insurance, unless they're forced to?

http://daviddfriedman.com/The_Machinery_of_Freedom_.pdf

Have a read of this.  Even your ideal libertarian society will have things like conscription and eminent domain.  Pretty sure that fire services will be compulsory much the same way.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
April 25, 2013, 04:26:07 PM
Taxes are needed.

1. I don't go to school, and my kids are not old enough, and will go to private when they are.
2. I hardly use the roads, and when I go long distance, I pay a toll to use the road.
Why should I be paying for roads all over the state of Florida? If I had the choice I wouldn't.
3. I don't go to hospitals, why should I pay for others to go? Don't get yourself injured.
I hardly leave my house, why should I pay because some idiot ran into a tree on his motorcycle?

As you can see, I'm selfish, just like most of the population. If I don't use it, why pay for it?
Though, knowing society will fall without everyone else to using my money, I will pay up.

Those are valid questions, though i don't see why society would fall because you're sitting home alone, unmolested.

You are right but brace yourself for frantic whines of people who insist that the time to charge for a fire service is when the fire has already started.

You mean nobody would pay for any kind of insurance, unless they're forced to?
April 25, 2013, 04:25:10 PM
Taxes are needed.

Why?
legendary
April 25, 2013, 04:21:29 PM
Taxes are needed.

legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
April 25, 2013, 04:20:13 PM
Taxes are needed.

April 25, 2013, 04:16:58 PM
Taxes are needed.

legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
April 25, 2013, 04:12:44 PM
Taxes are needed.

legendary
April 25, 2013, 04:12:32 PM
Activity: 364
April 25, 2013, 04:06:36 PM
While I would like that to happen, I'm very doubtful.
But Bitcoiners are more likely to like your concept, I'm sure.

(See also this discussion: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/taxation-discussion-187616)
I got so much hate for an idea that is pretty much in the middle ground of enforced taxes by states and free will to spend.
(Majority decides what tax would be a good number for a state to sustain)
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
April 25, 2013, 04:02:43 PM
They are very valid points. I agree.
Bitcoin should help the people everywhere.
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
April 25, 2013, 03:57:14 PM
Over the past several years of paying my "fair share" of taxes and studying Libertarianism, Voluntarism, and Austrian economics I have come to the conclusion that taxes are essentially collective theft and inefficient.

Unlike my liberty minded colleagues, statists cannot envision a functional world without their brilliant and insightful guidance and Bitcoin represents huge threat to their central planning philosophy.
The current POTUS rails against "promoting selfishness as a virtue" and over the past 4 years has made good on his initial campaign promise to "spread the wealth around". There is no doubt that there is great income inequality across the globe but I would argue that this has more to do with government policies and their central bank enablers than anything else.

I believe that roads, schools, healthcare and everything else can be provided more efficiently by the free market. I suspect that many Bitcoiners and Satoshi himself hold similar beliefs.

I would like to see our community develop tools whereby individuals could voluntarily fund projects that have been traditionally thought of as being under the purview of the state. I would hope that this could prove once and for all that individual freedom is sacrosanct and that Bitcoin could be seen as a force for the common good and embraced as opposed to a threat.
Pages:
Jump to: