Author

Topic: | Nxt | Blockchain Platform | Proof of Stake | Official - page 477. (Read 941260 times)

Activity: 1680
Merit: 506
Trphy.io
The new nxt.org is loading for me! Looks sweet Smiley

http://nxt.org

Looks tits!!!
legendary
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com

Very nice! Whos work is it? Passion_LTC and?
Activity: 478
Merit: 250

+1. That is beautiful.
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
Activity: 308

Activity: 854

+1 on that. This is the first time i've seen nxtcommunity.org, it rules.
I sometimes can't believe how far NXT has come in the last 6 months.....its hard to keep up with all the good stuff thats going on right now.

Like this:
http://nxtdashboard.org/index?show=dashboard&event=4
Crimi made that for the conferences, give him some +1 (and donations) here:
https://nxtforum.org/nxt-promotion/bitcoin2014-btc-foundation-conference-amsterdam-may-15-17/220/#msg18454
legendary
Activity: 1344
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Thanks! Actually I was hoping for a little more detail Smiley
The address is something like sha256(curve25519(sha256(key))). It is presumably as easy or hard to bruteforce this regardless of whether an account has been verified. If you know the key, you have access to the account.
You must be talking about an intermediate step - a way of sending funds from an account without using its private key?
I don't think this got replied to. As I understand it, that's not what an account is in Nxt. In Nxt an account is only the first 64 bits of the hash. That's why it's relatively weak. It's also why it can be expressed in 21 digits, where Bitcoin needs 34 alphnumeric characters. So account collisions are much more likely in Nxt. When you first send from a Nxt account, your public key is registered to the account, and that brings the security back up to 256 bits.

Thanks - that's helpful. I think I understand it now.
It rules out conventional cold storage, unfortunately.
You can create an account on an offline computer, send some coins to it, then create a transaction signed on the offline computer, move that transaction to an online computer, and broadcast it. That gets your account associated with a public key without the private key ever being exposed an online computer. I say "you can" but I don't know if the wallet software to do this exists yet; if it doesn't it could (and should!) be written. It'd work pretty much the same as Armory, except with the need to create that initial (offline) transaction.

Account control will allow you to lock your account, preventing any outgoing transactions that will add good security. Post in the nxtforum account control subforum and come-from-beyond will pick it up.

Cool, thanks for both replies.
How would account locking work - separate password? The main attack I see happening on NXT is malware/keystroke loggers. I really like the all-offline solution of bitcoin cold storage because it's so elegantly simple and powerful. Wondering what the NXT analogue is.

It is in Come-from-beyonds hands. The last discussion I saw was in the megathread.

For now, we have http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Account_Control or posting questions in the subforum above.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031
The address is something like sha256(curve25519(sha256(key))). It is presumably as easy or hard to bruteforce this regardless of whether an account has been verified. If you know the key, you have access to the account.
You must be talking about an intermediate step - a way of sending funds from an account without using its private key?
I don't think this got replied to. As I understand it, that's not what an account is in Nxt. In Nxt an account is only the first 64 bits of the hash. That's why it's relatively weak. It's also why it can be expressed in 21 digits, where Bitcoin needs 34 alphnumeric characters. So account collisions are much more likely in Nxt. When you first send from a Nxt account, your public key is registered to the account, and that brings the security back up to 256 bits.

You can create an account on an offline computer, send some coins to it, then create a transaction signed on the offline computer, move that transaction to an online computer, and broadcast it. That gets your account associated with a public key without the private key ever being exposed an online computer. I say "you can" but I don't know if the wallet software to do this exists yet; if it doesn't it could (and should!) be written. It'd work pretty much the same as Armory, except with the need to create that initial (offline) transaction.

Account control will allow you to lock your account, preventing any outgoing transactions that will add good security. Post in the nxtforum account control subforum and come-from-beyond will pick it up.

Cool, thanks for both replies.
How would account locking work - separate password? The main attack I see happening on NXT is malware/keystroke loggers. I really like the all-offline solution of bitcoin cold storage because it's so elegantly simple and powerful. Wondering what the NXT analogue is.
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
Activity: 574

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

Activity: 281
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
any point of forging is i only have 10,000 coins?
Lease your forging power

What would I get?
legendary
If you type http://localhost:7876/nxt?requestType=getBlockchainStatus in the browser, does it also say numberOfBlocks around that height?

Thanks for the help - will check when I'm back at my computer.

Deleted and reinstalled - seems fine now. Thanks for the help.
Great client, by the way, can't wait to see the AE up and running.
legendary

Activity: 365
Merit: 251
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Lease your forging power
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
Activity: 561
updated to 1.0.3 ,blockchain download took about 20 min
Jump to: