Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 230. (Read 530599 times)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
@ cryptsy: ANC being suspended until issues with the block chain are worked out -> When ANC come back ? I am really waiting for it... Embarrassed
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
:)
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
Wolf0 stated:

"...With a GPG key signature, I'd have to either be Meeh, or break into both the web server and Meeh's system, steal his private key, then kidnap Meeh and make him tell me the password to the key..."

After reflecting on the above statement, if all true, (seems very likely), then yes, obviously GPG would be vastly superior to methods without such security steps.

Upon reflection, I could skip a step. If I kidnap Meeh, I could just make him give me the private key, leaving no need to break into his system.

Again, Thanks Wolf0, your concise explanation of GPG helps a lot and explains why I must learn it or else face possible trouble ahead.

So I will put that on an extremely long list of things to do and hopefully get to it before much longer.

No problem. Glad to see you're looking into GPG.

Also, as you stated, I'm no security expert, but I'd like to think I'm fairly advanced in the subject, having studied encryption and written a lot of code implementing it, so I'd think my advice is worth something, but as you say, caveat emptor.

EDIT: Oh, and let me expand on my statement that SHA-256 checksums are pointless: In this specific situation, they provide no security against an attacker who has access to the webserver, because if they can change the file, they can change the checksum, too. SHA-256 is not broken for everyday use.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
tried fresh install and its not working
you didnt answer the question in the other thread ->
do you have a backup of the old wallet? are you willing to share the wallet to recover the coins? are you willing to do it yourself?
legendary
/dev/null
lost 186 Anon when i updated to new version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help  . I was one of the first people mining ANON and now i hold nothing

It is practically impossible to lose coins by upgrading to the new version. The only way we could see this happen is if you deleted wallet.dat in %appdata%\anoncoin either manually or by using 3rd party uninstall software that looks for, and deletes additional data created by a program. If that is the case, you will have to exit the wallet, restore wallet.dat from backup, then start the anoncoin wallet.
it is possible -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3467363

If he's a windows user I've always used the same version of libdb (BDB) for all windows builds.
4.8 or 5.0+?

lost 186 Anon when i updated to new version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help  . I was one of the first people mining ANON and now i hold nothing

It is practically impossible to lose coins by upgrading to the new version. The only way we could see this happen is if you deleted wallet.dat in %appdata%\anoncoin either manually or by using 3rd party uninstall software that looks for, and deletes additional data created by a program. If that is the case, you will have to exit the wallet, restore wallet.dat from backup, then start the anoncoin wallet.

Have you deleted your wallet.dat? Please read what BroTroxer wrote above. If the file is deleted the coins are lost.
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
still trying to figure it out .going to try a fresh install on more time

If he's a windows user I've always used the same version of libdb (BDB) for all windows builds.
legendary
/dev/null

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

The broken download link is fixed.
legendary
/dev/null
... Let them handle security for you, since you are unwilling to learn. SHA-256 checksums are pretty much pointless. If someone breaks into the website, you think they're going to upload a modified version of Anoncoin, then forget to run sha256sum on it? With a GPG key signature, I'd have to either be Meeh, or break into both the web server and Meeh's system, steal his private key, then kidnap Meeh and make him tell me the password to the key.
totally agree, if meeh would do that, it would be retarded...
Activity: 229
but my client stop update  from the 86227 block.

now I deleted old .
update again.

Ok,but it stoped in 87141

then ,wait and succsssed in 87467.
but my client stop update  from the 86227 block.

now I deleted old .
update again.
but my client stop update  from the 86227 block.
Reminder: Upgrade to latest release if you are having problems connecting to nodes.

A new mandatory update for ANC is released to deal with reported node communication issues. Due to an unknown bug in the 0.8 branch which may cause a minor chain fork issue we reverted to the latest 0.7 branch with modifications. The latest stable release (0.7.5) is now available for download at https://anoncoin.net/Downloads.html
Activity: 448
So is this above the version we should now be running?   There are so many huge threads with tons of useful info for ANC, but little to nothing on source code downloads or current version.

Yes, use 0.7.5. Ok, thanks for the reply. We will try to make the version clearer! Source code is always available on our github project page.

https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin

Thanks.  Whats the current block height on the proper fork?  Seems one explorer is down, another I can't get any info from, and the 3rd is showing 85689, though after re-compiling the source mine is showing 87120 (though I do see a peer with 87167 so I may not be done catching up, either way quite a bit higher than the explorer).

The proper height is 87167. The explorer was stuck because the server had run out of diskspace (and anoncoind stopped), that was my fault and I've fixed it now. Sorry for that. The explorer is now fully synced again.

Thanks a bunch, things look to be up to date and ready to roll on my end. 
Jump to: