Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 317. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 501
ok, this is something i was wondering about. Since you just openned the door, just what would be the advantage of running 64 bit Linux over 32 bit Linux for a mining rig?
For mining there is no advantage apart from the GPU driver allowing more devices. However, 64 bit linux is very mature and run everywhere and all CPUs of the last decade on PCs and laptops are 64 bit capable so it's unusual to see anyone consciously use 32 bit on linux except for hardware that is 32 bit. The difference between this and creating binaries on windows is the windows 32 bit binaries will work everywhere, but linux binaries are very distribution and architecture specific, and x86_64 Ubuntu is the most common desktop linux in use. It is also eleventy billion times easier to compile it for yourself on linux than windows.

Thanks for the answer. I'm currrently running cgminer on 32 bit linux mainly because I didn't want to keep track of which of my machines had 32 bit and which had 64. I'm of the opinion that unless you need the accuracy of 64 bit there isn't really any advantage. I might be wrong, but i remember reading that 32 bit linux can use more than the 4 gig RAM that windows is restricted to.  64 bit may be the future, but i live in the present.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
ok, this is something i was wondering about. Since you just openned the door, just what would be the advantage of running 64 bit Linux over 32 bit Linux for a mining rig?
For mining there is no advantage apart from the GPU driver allowing more devices. However, 64 bit linux is very mature and run everywhere and all CPUs of the last decade on PCs and laptops are 64 bit capable so it's unusual to see anyone consciously use 32 bit on linux except for hardware that is 32 bit. The difference between this and creating binaries on windows is the windows 32 bit binaries will work everywhere, but linux binaries are very distribution and architecture specific, and x86_64 Ubuntu is the most common desktop linux in use. It is also eleventy billion times easier to compile it for yourself on linux than windows.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
LOL

can i run cgminer on a 32bit pc?  Thanks.
I don't think it works on the Amiga ... or the PS3 ... but which 32 bit PC were you referring to?
Smiley
Yes it was a joke - however there is a relevant question in there too Smiley
For windows, ther binary of course is already 32bit so works on both 32bit and 64bit
For RPi, my binaries git has a 32 bit binary (only) but I've not put 3.2.0 in there yet - only 3.1.1
For Linux, there is no 32 bit binary so he'd have to build it himself (and this begs the question why anyone would use a 32bit linux on any normal desktop, if that's what he is doing ... but he may not be)

Activity: 188
Merit: 100
ok building a binary for 32bit was pretty straight-forward. Cool!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
You'd be surprised, most old processors have x64.
But if you run linux, you have to build your own x86 like he said.
Well you do need xp at least

well it may be funny, but i have a terribly old pc wich i'm thinking of turning into miner's helper and run cgminer on it. That's why...

i'd prefer using linux.
legendary
Well you do need xp at least

well it may be funny, but i have a terribly old pc wich i'm thinking of turning into miner's helper and run cgminer on it. That's why...
legendary
True maybe he was asking for a reason other than the obvious of trying to download it.

I'm still sad there's no windows x64 version. I know there's no benefit but it's just cool!
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
LOL

I don't think it works on the Amiga ... or the PS3 ... but which 32 bit PC were you referring to?
Smiley
Yes it was a joke - however there is a relevant question in there too Smiley
For windows, ther binary of course is already 32bit so works on both 32bit and 64bit
For RPi, my binaries git has a 32 bit binary (only) but I've not put 3.2.0 in there yet - only 3.1.1
For Linux, there is no 32 bit binary so he'd have to build it himself (and this begs the question why anyone would use a 32bit linux on any normal desktop, if that's what he is doing ... but he may not be)
legendary
LOL

legendary
Absolutely, there isnt even a x64 version

legendary
legendary
Latest code from git:
Code:
# cgminer -T
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Started cgminer 3.2.0
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Loaded configuration file /root/.cgminer/cgminer.conf
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] USB init, set config 1 in use - CMR device 5:75
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Icarus detect (5:75) failed to initialise (incorrect device?)
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] USB init, set config 1 in use - CMR device 5:74
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Icarus detect (5:74) failed to initialise (incorrect device?)
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] No devices detected!
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit
 [2013-06-02 21:42:15] Probing for an alive pool
Code:
# cgminer --ndevs
 [2013-06-02 21:43:47] USB all: found 17 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 5 Device 75 ID: 0403:8350
  Manufacturer: 'FTDI'
  Product: 'Cairnsmore1'
.USB dev 1: Bus 5 Device 74 ID: 0403:8350
  Manufacturer: 'FTDI'
  Product: 'Cairnsmore1'
 [2013-06-02 21:43:47] 2 known USB devices
FPGA Cairnsmore1 are no longer working with cgminer. I reverted cgminer to 102e907a475723ceff0de915227296190e2f3beb (3.1.0).
Any solutions? Smiley
Yep I'll look into that.
I've not had anyone look at 3.2.0 with a Cairnsmore1 yet ... my USB config settings are just a guess.
A full debug (pastebin) of the initialisation would be helpful also if you can.
However, the current code "I think?" will only find at most one FPGA (since with the 0403:8350 chip it will need to have an enhanced driver to handle multiple end points - that chip has 8 end points - 4 pairs - and will take some effort to actually get it to work)
The older board was apparently using the 0403:6014 so has the same initialisation as the BFL devices - that one might just work if anyone with one wants to try Smiley
legendary
Got it working!

I went back to cgminer 3.1.1 and used the -S option to tell it where to look.

I'll play with the other settings now and see if I can get it running without root, etc.
As per the ASIC-README for 3.2.0

LINUX:

On linux, the direct USB support requires no drivers at all. However due to
permissions issues, you may not be able to mine directly on the devices as a
regular user without giving the user access to the device or by mining as
root (administrator). In order to give your regular user access, you can make
him a member of the plugdev group with the following commands:

Read the rest Smiley

Edit: there's a bit about "sudo cp 01-cgminer.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/" further down to complete the solution to solve permission problems
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
can the new version auto detect for gpu's as well?  thread concurrences etc?
GPUs don't lend themselves to this sort of optimisation in a meaningful way. Using the wrong settings just crashes the driver and then the application as a result.
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
I tried following the README instructions to get 3.2 working and still no luck.

---

I made a udev rule.

/dev/bus/usb/002/012 is group plugdev.

I am running as myself and I'm in group plugdev.

/dev/ttyUSB0 is in group dialout.

I am in the dialout group.

---

I started cgminer with --usb-dump 0

It does not detect a device and syslog shows ttyUSB0 being disconnected when I start cgminer.

The new messages from cgminer are:

USB all: found 6 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 2 Device 12 ID 10c4:ea60
 Manufacturer: 'Silicon Labs'
 Product: 'CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller'
1 known USB devices
No devices detected!
Waiting for USB hotplug...

---

Again, cgminer 3.1.1 works fine with -S.

3.1.1 works fine with the same udev rule ( MODE 0666 and GROUP plugdev ) as suggested by 3.2
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
Downgrade to BFGMiner.
It is almost reasonable for you to post in other threads suggesting BFGMiner as a solution.

Posting IN the CGMiner thread is not cool.

I'm using cgminer exactly because of BS posts like this from you Luke.  Stop acting like a 13 year old FFS

+10. Bravo.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Do I have to do something special to give permission?

Run it as root or fix it the right way and give your user the proper permissions (described in many places)
Thanks.

I did some reading and found that USB devices have ultra restrictive permissions by default.  I'll get it figured out elsewhere as it is probably standard Linux stuff that's the problem.

I'll post a quick follow up here for others that have the same problem.

From cgminer FAQ

Code:
Q: On linux I can see the /dev/ttyUSB* devices for my Icarus FPGAs, but
cgminer can't mine on them
A: Make sure you have the required priviledges to access the /dev/ttyUSB* devices:
 sudo ls -las /dev/ttyUSB*
will give output like:
 0 crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2012-09-11 13:49 /dev/ttyUSB0
This means your account must have the group 'dialout' or root priviledges
To permanently give your account the 'dialout' group:
 sudo usermod -G dialout -a `whoami`
Then logout and back in again
That's for the older version. The new one does not use -S or /dev/ttyUSB as the driver model has changed entirely. You need to copy the udev rules instead only as per the new readme.
Jump to: