Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 313. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 481
Merit: 500
Kano, it seems that most everyone in this forum:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195052.1760 has not been able to get cgminer 3.2.0 to work with the little USB block erupters. The people that have been successful are using 3.1.1. You seemed so confident that it would work and I assume you have one of these devices too. Given that it worked fine for you and for none of us (that I am aware of), it's probably something simple to fix, like a missing library or something?

One of the symptoms is that after running 3.2.0, the device in /dev/ttyUSB0 disappears.  

Edit:  did you get one of the original block erupters and ours are the new Sapphire version?
legendary
Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003
Don`t panic! Organize!
MSE will chocke any system... Avira better ;]
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
I am using Avast, but it seems to be detecting the program as a virus, does it matter?

Well, AVAST sucks for a start.  Use Microsoft Security Essentials. 

Second, as long as you downloaded cgminer from the correct place, it won't be a virus.  Use only the links in the first post on this thread.  I've seen cgminer packages hosted on Rapidshare and the likes, and they have had a virus in them.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1185
notorious shrimp!
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
You can use "screen" too

Definitely, but this means that you need to (after a system reboot) remember, or be available, to log in and start everything up.

I have my systems PXE booting, automatically starting X under tty12 and cgminer under daemontools. It means that my miners can reboot at any time and they'll come up mining. Throw in puppet for managing the config files and it's fairly well automated.

You can automate the starting of 'screen' also.  My machines automatically resume mining (with 'screen') after a reboot as well.

Would you mind sharing your code for this? I can't seem to get mine up & running... It's a pain having to re-type everything on a restart.... Angry
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
I would assume so since what else could they have used to test the board?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Does anyone know if these will work with the K16 which I believe uses the Icarus protocol?  I don't physically have the board yet so at this point its just a question.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Supersonic
You can use "screen" too
Since we are on the screen topic, hope you don't mind I squeeze in this question:

I check my rig via SSH and the last time it crashed (overall reported hashrate by pool dropped to 0, so I went and had a look), I did screen -r and it reported back there was no screen to reattach. So, from other people's experience with running cgminer under screen: How stable is screen? Any only else encountered this?

Code:
while : #Run forever.. until end of time....
do
        screen .......
        logger -t myawesomescript "Cgminer crashed" # This goes into /var/log/syslog
        sleep 15 #Just for fun.
done
Activity: 737
You can use "screen" too
Since we are on the screen topic, hope you don't mind I squeeze in this question:

I check my rig via SSH and the last time it crashed (overall reported hashrate by pool dropped to 0, so I went and had a look), I did screen -r and it reported back there was no screen to reattach. So, from other people's experience with running cgminer under screen: How stable is screen? Any only else encountered this?

I have been using screen reliably since I started mining 15 months ago.  I have never seen screen crash.  I have seen no screen available messages a couple times, when trying to do screen -r, but that always meant that cgminer, itself, crashed (screen exits when the command it started exits.  I know it these were cgminer crashes because my shell script that wraps the start and stop logs the start time immediately before cgminer starts and the stop time immediately after it exits.  The current iteration of my shell script actually has a loop in it that restarts cgminer if it ever exits instead of just exiting itself, and since then I have never seen screen not be available when attaching to it.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
Screen by default is closing itself if application ends, also when it crash.
see screen --help to find workaround Smiley
Will do, thanks!

How do people do it without screen? Just keep ssh up? A disconnect kills it right? This is one thing Windows rdp is amazing with.
I found tmux when looking for alternatives. Looks promising to me, but then I'm a noob
legendary
Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003
Don`t panic! Organize!
You can use "screen" too

Screen by default is closing itself if application ends, also when it crash.
see screen --help to find workaround Smiley
legendary
How do people do it without screen? Just keep ssh up? A disconnect kills it right? This is one thing Windows rdp is amazing with.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
You can use "screen" too

Activity: 737
You can use "screen" too

Definitely, but this means that you need to (after a system reboot) remember, or be available, to log in and start everything up.

I have my systems PXE booting, automatically starting X under tty12 and cgminer under daemontools. It means that my miners can reboot at any time and they'll come up mining. Throw in puppet for managing the config files and it's fairly well automated.

You can automate the starting of 'screen' also.  My machines automatically resume mining (with 'screen') after a reboot as well.
legendary
Activity: 756
I am using Avast, but it seems to be detecting the program as a virus, does it matter?
Activity: 322
Supersonic
Activity: 672
Could you elaborate on what PXE booting, daemontools, and puppet mean? I'm a Windows guy!

Sure:
PXE booting means booting off the network from a file server - no disks in the machine and they all share the same root filesystem on the file server
daemontools is a program for supervising processes - if they die it automatically restarts them
puppet is a configuration management tool for linux

I should probably do a howto for all this, parts of this could be easily re-used without needing the whole setup.

+1
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
EDIT: Now I get it. Well I did some testings and I can get about 4% more if I set up to 10 and 12. And that is missing at the moment... As far as I know 8 and 9 were limits in older versions...

There aren't really any limits per version of CGMiner, except where it tops out at which I think is 14.  But the limit is per GPU type.  9 is about the max that gets you the best performance.  But I have 5xxx series GPU's so 8 or 9 is the highest which is best for those.  If you have newer GPU's then maybe you can go higher.  I would recommend keeping an eye on your U: and HW errors though.

Again the FAQ in the top post explains allot of this.
Sam
Upper limit is 20 and numbers that I have are from test are 5770 and 6790 preforms best with 10 and 5850, 5970, 6870 performs best with 12. No problems whit HW and U is higher(2 day testing)... So can we stop this. I will use that settings if possible. I'm not asking if it is OK to use it. So no need to continue.

I would like to know why I can't use setting for intensity higher then 8 with 8 GPU cores and I was able to do so with 5 cores. What is a solution or workaround...
Activity: 412
Can I hope in future that temp-cutoff will shut down cgminer too not just stop using gpu?
Jump to: