Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 363. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
CGMiner locks up Windows on exit whether I press 'q' or close the window, but only when my 6770 is mining. Any fix for this?

But seriously, any help with this?

Also, upgrading to 3.0, it still doesn't work, and it won't let me use higher TC values now.
Activity: 15
Merit: 1
Hello Folks,

I'm running cgminer 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 with AMD APP SDK 2.4.  I'm using whatever proprietary driver installs by default with either a 5450 or 6850 video card.

I have in the recent past been able to successfully use the 5450 and the above software with Slush's pool.  Although rather unimpressive at a doddering 10MHash/S, this setup does indeed work.  However, when i try this with the 6850 I have problems.

The basic problem is that although cgminer says the 6850 is humping along at about 190 MHash/S, neither Slush's pool or 50btc report any shares returned.  If I turn on debug mode while cgminer is executing, every few minutes I will see the following sequence of messages: "GPU 0 found something?" then "OCL NONCE nnnnnnnnnnnnn found in slot 0" then "GPU0 invalid nonce" and finally "Discarded cloned or rolled work."  I've been attempting to study the source code myself and have found where these messages are coming from, but do not presently understand the code well enough to solve my problem.

Although I saw the "invalid nonce" message long ago, I was hoping that given the bazillions of hashes that are being calculated, surely a handful of hardware errors would be of no concern.  However, I've since amended my guess such that this error sequence occurs when I should have a share ready to report, but something about it flunks a test, due to a hardware error.  Hence the entire share is no good and thus nothing is ever reported back to the pools I'm using.

Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
--shaders is just a hint to tune the program, it has no effect on the GPU. There is some advanced code to partition GPUs with OpenCL to do different tasks, but that is way beyond the scope of what we do with mining, and does not partition some shaders off as such. Mining both concurrently will likely produce lower results than the sum of each at half or at best, just equalling the sum of the halves. I suspect scrypt will kill the btc mining as well so you'll get very unbalanced work in favour of scrypt.

Summary, don't waste your time. Mine one or the other.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
I'll defer to "the man" for that question, methinks.  lol
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Think. Positive. Thoughts.
Two questions.

1. Can you run scrypt and sha256 on different threads on the same GPU in one instance of cgminer or is a 2nd instance required?

2. When the number of shaders is flagged at a lower amount than available, are only the number of shaders specified utilized?

I'm specifically wondering if, for example, a 5770 could have its shaders halved and 400 could mine scrypt and utilize the majority of the card's memory while the other 400 mine sha256.

Just curious! Thanks!

I asked ck yesterday about running two instances from two different directories and he said:

Fine to run two. Just use --remove-disabled as well as -d so both instances
dont try to fight over GPUs.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Any idea about the shaders? I assume it's impossible to target specific groups of shaders and the option is simply for configuration, but I wanted to confirm.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Two questions.

1. Can you run scrypt and sha256 on different threads on the same GPU in one instance of cgminer or is a 2nd instance required?

2. When the number of shaders is flagged at a lower amount than available, are only the number of shaders specified utilized?

I'm specifically wondering if, for example, a 5770 could have its shaders halved and 400 could mine scrypt and utilize the majority of the card's memory while the other 400 mine sha256.

Just curious! Thanks!

I asked ck yesterday about running two instances from two different directories and he said:

Fine to run two. Just use --remove-disabled as well as -d so both instances
dont try to fight over GPUs.

It was only the wind.
CGMiner locks up Windows on exit whether I press 'q' or close the window, but only when my 6770 is mining. Any fix for this?

But seriously, any help with this?
legendary
Activity: 1098
I have a dual 5970 rig but 1 of the 4 GPU's is no good (GPU0)

I use -d 1 -d 2 -d 3 in my command line but when I start cgminer is seems to turn gpu0 on and off a couple of times before finally disabling it and during this cycling the system sometimes crashes.

Is there an alternative way to stop it being used ?
--remove-disabled

Thanks Smiley
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Can you help me figure out what is wrong when I try to use 3.0.1? It is specific to this new version because 2.11.4 is still working. I am on Windows 7 x64 with all the updates and I have a 6970 in it.

Code:
cgminer.exe caused an Access Violation at location 004312fa in module cgminer.exe Reading from location 052d51ce.

Registers:
eax=00000000 ebx=0028f03c ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=0200a8c8 edi=0206266a
eip=771b15de esp=0028f028 ebp=0028f558 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00000246

Call stack:
771B15DE  ntdll.dll:771B15DE  ZwRaiseException
0043341B  cgminer.exe:0043341B
00430291  cgminer.exe:00430291
00418D16  cgminer.exe:00418D16
004010B9  cgminer.exe:004010B9  __mingw_CRTStartup  crt1.c:244

00401284  cgminer.exe:00401284  WinMainCRTStartup  crt1.c:274

76B333AA  kernel32.dll:76B333AA  BaseThreadInitThunk
771C9EF2  ntdll.dll:771C9EF2  RtlInitializeExceptionChain
771C9EC5  ntdll.dll:771C9EC5  RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Thank you!
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

I use -d 1 -d 2 -d 3 in my command line but when I start cgminer is seems to turn gpu0 on and off a couple of times before finally disabling it and during this cycling the system sometimes crashes.

--remove-disabled
Activity: 896

Remove it from your Xorg configuration if you use Linux.
It was only the wind.
legendary
Activity: 1098

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Just installed 13.4 and I am getting a very strange behavior.
I am in windows 7 64bit
I am starting the program with the flags, fans spin and so on, mining seems to work however I am not seeing anything in the command prompt window - it is totally blank!
Has anyone encountered something similar?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
You need 2 instances if it works at all
legendary
Activity: 924
Think. Positive. Thoughts.
Two questions.

Just curious! Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 952
I just updated my drivers to 13.4, and CGMiner can't compile some of the .cl kernels into .bin files. Specifically: poclbm, phatk, and diakgcn all work, but diablo and scrypt do not. Program just crashes with no error message, but with -D -T --verbose, it is during the kernel compile portion.

Gigabyte 7970
Win8x64
13.4 drivers
OpenCL 1.2 <1124.4>
CGMiner 3.0.1

Doesn't affect me much, as poclbm gives me the best results, but I figured I'd let you know.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Thanks for the update and the hard work, ckolivas.
You're most welcome  Smiley
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
Thanks for the update and the hard work, ckolivas.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Hey

Do you know when you will be adding bfl asic or do you only know that avalon works?
I'll add BFL SC when I get one Tongue

Supposedly posted to me only a day ago ... no idea who got the other of the first 2 almost a week ago - I guess BFL wasn't all that interested in getting the most used miner software working with their devices first (though as I've said before they probably could have had problems sorted a week earlier if they'd started with cgminer first)

I've already written the basic driver, but I don't intend to brick people's ASICs by sending out untested code ... be wary of cheap imitations ...
Jump to: