Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 359. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
You do have a point. I just don't understand why making the drivers open source is such a taboo. Is a driver really going to let other companies steal their designs or something?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Yeah, I figured that no one really works on NVIDIA because it's not worth it. I don't really know of any CUDA based miners on Linux that aren't like 2 years old, lol. I still would've liked to use this under Linux... guess I'll just have to chalk it up to NIVIDA still hating on the Linux crowd; as Linus put it, FUCK YOU, NVIDIA! Though, if you would be willing to work on adding some CUDA support, I could throw a few "satoshi" your way ;P
Oddly, I see it the other way around: Linus hating on nVidia coz they wont do exactly what he wants.
nVidia supplies VERY good linux drivers for everyone to use.
Why must nVidia supply drivers, the way Linus says they should? Especially when they already do supply them ...
Yes nouveau sux ...
Damn, and here I thought I could persuade you with my measly NVIDIA earnings.  ;P
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Yeah, I figured that no one really works on NVIDIA because it's not worth it. I don't really know of any CUDA based miners on Linux that aren't like 2 years old, lol. I still would've liked to use this under Linux... guess I'll just have to chalk it up to NIVIDA still hating on the Linux crowd; as Linus put it, FUCK YOU, NVIDIA! Though, if you would be willing to work on adding some CUDA support, I could throw a few "satoshi" your way ;P
Direct CUDA support is a lot of work and no one could afford to pay me enough to do it  Lips sealed
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
OpenCL implementation vary from driver to driver. When doing compute work, they can choose to "busy wait" on the CPU or sleep while waiting for the GPU to return its answers. Direct CUDA has a way to tell the device which mode to use, but OpenCL does not have any such command, thus it is entirely up to the driver/GPU/OS combination - and some GPUs you may never find a driver that doesn't busy wait. There is precious little experience with Nvidia drivers since their profitability is 1:4 compared to the electrical costs. You can try one of the new dedicated CUDA miners out there instead (although they will be primitive and buggy code since cgminer has been in heavy development for 2 years by comparison).
I appreciate the feedback, but I would like to know what the issue is under Linux and why it runs fine under Windows. I'm not really looking to build a machine to mine, I'm just trying to use what I already have when the computer isn't being used. I already know what kind of hash rate I should be getting etc. My issue is with cgminer and Linux.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
I'm just using the defaults in cgminer and I downloaded the dependencies for it as well such as opencl-nvidia. I've already had it running fine in Windows for a while, but I would prefer to run it under Linux as I use Linux for my main stuff and Windows for gaming.

OK, are you getting around 112Mhs in Windoze?

If your building  a dedicated mining machine I would get any AMD GPU as it would give you a higher hash rate and use less electricity.  Otherwise I would just continue running in Windoze since it is working.

Good Luck,
Sam
I'm just using the defaults in cgminer and I downloaded the dependencies for it as well such as opencl-nvidia. I've already had it running fine in Windows for a while, but I would prefer to run it under Linux as I use Linux for my main stuff and Windows for gaming.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
I know this may have been asked and answered already, but I couldn't find anything and my post got lost in the newbie forum. Please don't hate me if I did miss something or completely misunderstood the FAQ's.

I'm running a GTX 670; yeah I know NVIDIA, but I make a super small profit and I got it for gaming. I see this as more of a hobby or something like folding@home, but can make some money off of. OK, getting back on topic, no matter what driver I use (tried ~4) I can't get the CPU usage in Linux to drop from 100%. I wanted to know what if there was a particular driver that works well or something. Also, I don't quite understand the whole kernel thing for cgminer, so my next question is, is there a kernel that is better suited to a NVIDIA card like mine? I noticed there are suggestions for ATI, so I'm just throwing it out there.

Check here for what others have done to get different hardware to work and what performance to expect.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Are you trying to use OpenCL or Cuda?

CGMiner requires OpenCL
I know this may have been asked and answered already, but I couldn't find anything and my post got lost in the newbie forum. Please don't hate me if I did miss something or completely misunderstood the FAQ's.

I'm running a GTX 670; yeah I know NVIDIA, but I make a super small profit and I got it for gaming. I see this as more of a hobby or something like folding@home, but can make some money off of. OK, getting back on topic, no matter what driver I use (tried ~4) I can't get the CPU usage in Linux to drop from 100%. I wanted to know what if there was a particular driver that works well or something. Also, I don't quite understand the whole kernel thing for cgminer, so my next question is, is there a kernel that is better suited to a NVIDIA card like mine? I noticed there are suggestions for ATI, so I'm just throwing it out there.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Not sure if it's because I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 or what, but I'm getting this error again when I upgrade to cgminer 3.1:

Code:
./cgminer: error while loading shared libraries: libjansson.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
My bad when I built it. Reuploaded now.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Free World
Not sure if it's because I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 or what, but I'm getting this error again when I upgrade to cgminer 3.1:

Code:
./cgminer: error while loading shared libraries: libjansson.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

3.0 is working great; more stable (hashrate wise) than ever, actually. Probably has something to do with the sexy new version of Unity. Tongue

hi,

can you point me to where 3.0 installation guide is? Cheesy

Activity: 490
Merit: 501
well, i'm not sure how but i seem to have made some progress. now when i run cgminer -n i get the following:

$ ./cgminer -n
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                   
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing                   
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.5 (793.1)                   
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] Error -1: Getting Device IDs (num)                   
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable                   
 [2013-04-28 14:31:26] 0 GPU devices max detected

aticonfig sees the gpu:

$ sudo aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 00:01.0 AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics

* - Default adapter

Any suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Haven't done a new one for a while ... I'm using all these 3 (linux) so I have tested them all.

3.1.0a
3.1.0 recompiled on 64 bit xubuntu 11.04 (as usual) and also on the RPi 32 (2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian and rpi-update) and now also 64 bit Fedora18

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries

To get the 64 bit xubuntu 11.04 binary:
wget https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/raw/master/Ubuntu_11.04_x86_64/cgminer-3.1.0a
chmod +x cgminer-3.1.0a
md5sum cgminer-3.1.0a

9227a0f17215512a601bcb936a34bcf8  cgminer-3.1.0a
(this version should also work on Fedora 16 and Fedora 17)

To get the RPi 32bit binary:
wget https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/raw/master/RPi_32/cgminer-3.1.0a
chmod +x cgminer-3.1.0a
md5sum cgminer-3.1.0a

f8b236c81d79855243cf3bbbc907ab34 cgminer-3.1.0a

To get the Fedora 18 binary:
wget https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/raw/master/Fedora18_x86_64/cgminer-3.1.0a
chmod +x cgminer-3.1.0a
md5sum cgminer-3.1.0a

9c02a4b2719f69178dbb42c181d91de1  cgminer-3.1.0a

For anyone who didn't realise, it's just the executable file to put in place of 'cgminer'
Nothing else needs changing
On xubuntu 11.04 - first get and extract the full binary release from ckolivas and then copy my file in place of 'cgminer'

I've run all three binaries without any problems so far, with 1x6950, 1xBFL, 1xICA, 1xMMQ and 1xJalapeno (Total ~7.9GH/s)

The same configure options as cvolivas' binary version for 64 bit xubuntu 11.04
In case anyone was wondering:
CFLAGS="-O2 -W -Wall" ./autogen.sh --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce --enable-ztex --enable-modminer --enable-scrypt --enable-bflsc
make clean
make

All FPGAs (only) for the RPi 32bit version
CFLAGS="-g -W -Wall" ./autogen.sh --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce --enable-modminer --enable-ztex --enable-bflsc
make clean
make

However, the -g (instead of -O2) means it's a debug build so if anyone finds a problem and has core dumps enabled, it will dump a much more useful debug core.
You will need to install libusb-1.0.0

All FPGAs (only) for the Fedora18 x86_64 version
CFLAGS="-g -W -Wall" ./autogen.sh --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce --enable-modminer --enable-ztex --enable-bflsc
make clean
make

You will need to install libusb-1.0.0

Note I have binary folders of ckolivas official release files in my binaries git also, for if you can't get to his downloads
To get them you select the folder (e.g. 3.1.0) then click on the file you want then right-click save-as "View Raw"

Important: Read ASIC-README or FPGA-README about USB configuration on linux and windows
Activity: 282
Merit: 250
hi guys,
i was wondering, how to create output/log file from cgminer?

i need cgminer automatically send me a logfile or output in .txt that state the current:
1. average Mh/s
2. need the current Mh/s for each GPU
3. Accepted, Rejected share

is this possible? if so, can u pls help me how to do it? im not a coder, but so far i can use .bat to run the scrypted cgminer.

thank oyu.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
I've updated to 3.1.0-windows from 3.0.1-windows.

Everything seems to be just fine, hashing away as it normally does on my two 5850's. If you have a large mining setup, multiple machines, probably not worth the time of shutdown to upgrade for gpus.
Activity: 591
Merit: 500

Code:

3.0 is working great; more stable (hashrate wise) than ever, actually. Probably has something to do with the sexy new version of Unity. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Soooo... With the new version, unless you have a BFL thingy there is no point to upgrading?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However, There are changes.
Human readable changelog:
BFL ASIC support.
(plus other stuff)
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
Soooo... With the new version, unless you have a BFL thingy there is no point to upgrading?
Jump to: