Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 7. (Read 41580 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
August 03, 2015, 10:20:23 AM
I think the best way to get this technology off of the ground is if a few companies set up web interfaces to the products for the casual consumer. Of course they would have to be vigilant and not include any illegal items in their page.

They could make their money either as escrow services or advertising on the site.
But isn't the point of services like this not needing a escrow? As far as I know the next big step in this business is a p2p experience without escrow, trustless. Im not sure exactly how that would work but i've heard it's on the making as we speak. Im guessing the escrow job will be completely replaced by a trustless system in the blockchain in the future.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
August 03, 2015, 08:48:16 AM
I think the best way to get this technology off of the ground is if a few companies set up web interfaces to the products for the casual consumer. Of course they would have to be vigilant and not include any illegal items in their page.

They could make their money either as escrow services or advertising on the site.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
August 03, 2015, 08:24:30 AM
Could anybody comment on how anonymous OpenBazaar transactions are. Are there any ways to anonymize interactions on OpenBazaar? Thank you

If you're worried you should protect your coins yourself by mixing them, though maybe some tumbler system could be implemented at a later date.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
August 03, 2015, 08:13:38 AM
Could anybody comment on how anonymous OpenBazaar transactions are. Are there any ways to anonymize interactions on OpenBazaar? Thank you

probably they cna add an internal mixer if they want, because as it is right now it isn't anon at all, but you can use this verison which use monero instead of bitcoin https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/freebazaar-openbazaar-with-monero-1088354
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
August 03, 2015, 07:59:45 AM

It wont be ready for tor at this stage. It is not on the devs priority list but is a consideration for the future.
Activity: 249
August 02, 2015, 05:44:44 PM
Activity: 296
Merit: 251
July 31, 2015, 10:49:59 AM
OpenBazaar UI Demo July 30 2015

Looks nice so far but still a lot of work to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdzKOMk9I&feature=youtu.be

Good stuff. I am happy things are moving along. eBay are crooks and it will be nice to have a decentralized option. I hope all bugs get worked out in time.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014
July 31, 2015, 10:34:41 AM
OpenBazaar UI Demo July 30 2015

Looks nice so far but still a lot of work to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdzKOMk9I&feature=youtu.be
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
July 28, 2015, 05:41:19 PM
why ebay loosing custumer? the shedule of openbazar is getting closer ,soo many are members from here ,crypto supporters.. and all wanna maximize their income ,imagine a product that someone sell for 5 dollars they take a fee on 100 units soo lets say it is 0,20 x100 means 20 dollars with bitcoin this 20 dollars will allow to get some fuel into the car  Grin
Activity: 315
July 28, 2015, 03:47:28 PM
Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.

This would be completely impractical, not only to take the video that proves the package was never swapped or tempered with, but also to watch and check the video.

Imagine checking hundreds of thousandths of videos several minutes long of guys getting a pack? And how do you certify this is even the guy himself and not just a copy-pasted video from someone getting a pack a few months ago?  Who will arbiter the dispute and enforce a resolution?

And of course you have the problems that this video is not going to be anonymous in any way, that people that unwillingly got on the video (even as accidental background) could sue for making the video public, etc.

Of course it's impractical. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. It's basically nearly impossible to guarantee that a specific item was sent and like on ebay there just needs to be a little faith involved but it's when there's a bit of faith involved where the scam can happen. If you use trusted sellers then it minimizes your risk considerately as most just want to run an honest business and build up a solid rep, but its usually the buyers that try take advantage of this.
legendary
Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030
July 28, 2015, 03:31:00 PM
Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.

This would be completely impractical, not only to take the video that proves the package was never swapped or tempered with, but also to watch and check the video.

Imagine checking hundreds of thousandths of videos several minutes long of guys getting a pack? And how do you certify this is even the guy himself and not just a copy-pasted video from someone getting a pack a few months ago?  Who will arbiter the dispute and enforce a resolution?

And of course you have the problems that this video is not going to be anonymous in any way, that people that unwillingly got on the video (even as accidental background) could sue for making the video public, etc.
Activity: 315
July 28, 2015, 12:26:38 PM
People will need to make a habit out of *VIDEOTAPING* the opening of all their packages, if such scams start becoming widespread.

That way, you'd have proof that the box either contained nothing or did not contain the item you ordered.

Also, the reputation system should hopefully help you identify scammers before you order from them.

This also could easily be abused and if videotaping to prove you sent or received something became the norm so would the ways to cheat it. People would just film themselves packaging it then still could swap it before they sent it. The receiver could also just film him opening a package with something he wrapped himself. Unless you video tape the entire thing from wrapping/packaging it up to walking to the post office and having them take it off you everything can sadly be abused.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
July 28, 2015, 12:16:19 PM
Videotaping won't help much. If someone can scam, they can fake a video.

fake video are very hard to make and can be easily spotted, unless you can point me a video that was faked and none notice it

also to avoid other type of scamming(escrow corrupted ecc...), they can in theory ask you to sign your msg so at least you can prove to be the owner of that account in the case of account selling for scamming like on bitcointalk

Easy! You get the package. You carefully open it from the bottom, remove the stuff, put in junk. Flip the package around. Run the camera.
"Hi Guys! The package arrived! Look, here it is! Now I will proceed to open it!"
legendary
Activity: 992
Merit: 1000
July 28, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
fake video are very hard to make and can be easily spotted, unless you can point me a video that was faked and none notice it

9/11

The moon landing, obviously.
legendary
Activity: 1372
July 28, 2015, 05:24:32 AM
I have go tto say I love using crypto thrift. Decentralised is a step in the right direction though like the idea.
legendary
Activity: 812
July 28, 2015, 05:15:13 AM

Just as another point ebay seems to be losing its grip on the market over the last few months, i dont know if its something to do with google advertising where they get most of their traffic but there are many reports of sellers numbers down.
Activity: 406
July 28, 2015, 04:50:12 AM

9/11
legendary
Activity: 812
July 28, 2015, 04:43:23 AM

also to avoid other type of scamming(escrow corrupted ecc...), they can in theory ask you to sign your msg so at least you can prove to be the owner of that account in the case of account selling for scamming like on bitcointalk

90% users of Bitcointalk.org will more then likely be using OpenBazaar , that's for sure .
So I guess adding a feature on OpenBazaar specially for the bitcoin community (on bitcointal) would be great , it should work like that : While we are doing our profiles it should ask us for our Bitcointalk account username , and so they proove it they should ask us to add a random text on our Signature for a min , once they check it , it's stored on our profile and that's it .
We could leave negative feedback on Bitcointalk also when someone from OpenBazaar have his accounts linked to Bitcointalk.

Its an extra layer of trust and might be a good idea, people can always buy accounts though if they want to pull really big scams.  But yeah it helps.  Same thing would be linking an ebay account in some way.   
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
July 28, 2015, 03:50:17 AM

90% users of Bitcointalk.org will more then likely be using OpenBazaar , that's for sure .
So I guess adding a feature on OpenBazaar specially for the bitcoin community (on bitcointal) would be great , it should work like that : While we are doing our profiles it should ask us for our Bitcointalk account username , and so they proove it they should ask us to add a random text on our Signature for a min , once they check it , it's stored on our profile and that's it .
We could leave negative feedback on Bitcointalk also when someone from OpenBazaar have his accounts linked to Bitcointalk.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
July 28, 2015, 03:43:19 AM

Pages:
Jump to: