Pages:
Author

Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation - page 81. (Read 156693 times)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002
I put in the basic claim based on my vague memory of what I had in there - I was waiting for something more. An email or something.
I'm in no rush to get this money back - and if Bitcoinica was back up and running I would be happy to keep it there and carry on using Bitcoinica. Is that likely?
Since I'm not totally sure what information is needed, I'm not sure what I need to provide. I have emails from Bitcoinica, and all the mtgox codes of my transfers to bitcoinica - do you want me to send this information? Should I copy the emails I received (with headers?).
Please send us emails. I don't live on this discussion board - I don't read every post in every thread.
Activity: 661
Merit: 500
What about customers that do not have a Mt. Gox account?  I never had one as I have acquired all my coins through trade of services.  What about just sending back the coins to my personal wallet?
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
(one is fast and unreliable, the other slow and reliable).
It's hard to choose when how unreliable isn't well known other than ,,, an X month old log.  And when "slow" is defined as waiting for a good mood from the hacker. (who supposedly hated bitcoinica)

So if very unreliable and possibly infinitely slow, I suggest you pay out a safe % to those who had the most assets.  Starting with accounts linked to users with an established reputation on the forum, you could get back BTC in the unlikely event that you overpaid.

Activity: 686
Bitbuy
Subbed

Are these really necessary? Half of this topic is made of "sub" messages. AFAIK you can use "notify" link above the first post and below the last to subscribe without replying.

Clicking notify makes the forum send you mails when there are new replies. Most people don't want to have the forum software clutter their mailboxes. So yes, until the forum software allows you to enable notifies without sending out mails, a quick "sub" message is the easiest way to subscribe to a thread.
Activity: 607
Subbed

Are these really necessary? Half of this topic is made of "sub" messages. AFAIK you can use "notify" link above the first post and below the last to subscribe without replying.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
donator
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1110
donator
Activity: 29
Merit: 252
Activity: 325
Merit: 250
Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.
That's not an option for me. I live in Poland and realizing cheques would be MUCH pain to me. I once tried to do this with Google Adsense cheque, before they started to sending international wires. It took TWO freakin' months to complete. Not everyone's live in the US you know. MtGox reedem codes for USDs and Bitcoin transfers for BTCs please.

+1.

IMHO returning funds should be realized ONLY through mtgox codes. I'm very confident that we need a trusted third party (as an intermediary)  in this process.

Why? Maybe some people doesn't even have an mtgox account. Why should they have to take one to be payed?

Anyway, this would have to be addressed on a case by case basis. As long as they found reliable the information obtained, they will figure what's the best way to pay, maybe just asking to the payee...
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
That's not an option for me. I live in Poland and realizing cheques would be MUCH pain to me. I once tried to do this with Google Adsense cheque, before they started to sending international wires. It took TWO freakin' months to complete. Not everyone's live in the US you know. MtGox reedem codes for USDs and Bitcoin transfers for BTCs please.

+1.

IMHO returning funds should be realized ONLY through mtgox codes. I'm very confident that we need a trusted third party (as an intermediary)  in this process.
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
Surely it's possible to order or group the claims in order of uncertainty?

Surely also, an email out to the customers who've made a claim asking for additional evidence where there is still uncertainty?

It's difficult to offer suggestions without knowing what was in the database that the hacker has access to, and hence can't be trusted.  Two things spring to mind: (a) MTGOX deposit/withdrawal codes (b) MTGOX deposit withdrawal reference numbers.  If either of those wasn't stored in the Bitcoinica database, then they can be trivially used to verify identity and probably trivially used to verify deposits.  Bitcoinica will have access to their own Mt.Gox account history, as will the rest of us.  That can be used to get information only known to two legitimate parties: the account owner and Bitcoinica (via their Mt.Gox account).

Isn't that quick and reliable?  Quick and reliable aren't necessarily exclusive.
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza
Activity: 43
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
it depends on how unreliable the quick payments are, personally i would prefer the more reliable approach but hope it wouldn't take too long

also can we choose what method of payment we want, some might prefer cheques some might like wires, some mtgox codes etc. I would like it to be paid into my intersango acc if possible
Activity: 761
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
When dealing with money, please favor accuracy over speed.

Zhou mentioned funds were highly concentrated, so work your way down from the fat part to the long part of the long tail. This way you are less likely to get sued (assuming those people with large accounts are more likely to mount legal action against Bitcoinica LP).

Most important: Keep your customers informed. This thread is a good start.
Activity: 22
+1
a rapid method for those who have the email-notification (number of the transaction, the date, time, how much), slow - for those who have not. Please MtGox-code (became the de facto standard for USD) and transaction Bitcoin for Bitcoin.

+1
MtGox-code for BTC is fine too.
Activity: 616
Merit: 502
+1
a rapid method for those who have the email-notification (number of the transaction, the date, time, how much), slow - for those who have not. Please MtGox-code (became the de facto standard for USD) and transaction Bitcoin for Bitcoin.
Activity: 22
I will post information here as I receive it.

28 May 07:00: Discussion right now is centered on the nature of selecting payess. There is the question of what nature the system for choosing payees should take with different people favouring 1 of 2 approaches (one is fast and unreliable, the other slow and reliable). I can't say more than that for technical reasons. Everyone wants to pay everyone back, but have a differing opinion how it will work.

How unreliable and how slow are these 2 approaches? Please give us a estimation.
I'd hope the slow approach won't take too loooooooooong time.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
And pay the big fishes with a lot of Bitcoins and Dollars first  Smiley (Iam not one of tham  Embarrassed  )

+1
Pages:
Jump to: