Pages:
Author

Topic: Play poker to train trading - page 5. (Read 1849 times)

Activity: 1316
Merit: 105
June 30, 2019, 02:47:06 PM
I don't think that playing poker will help you get better knowledge in trading because these are different areas of earning money.
Activity: 406
Merit: 10
June 30, 2019, 12:53:26 PM
I think playing poker It is a good idea if you want to improve your skills more and sometimes porker it is about luck of cards. If the two will combine there is always a big chance to win.
Activity: 924
Merit: 220
June 30, 2019, 10:59:32 AM
Yeah I can relate to this as I have played poker too and it will challenged one to gamble or calculate risk in order to gain. Thus, the steategy to take is very crucial same as when one do marginal trading. But, in my case I would rather hold.and see clearer profit rather than risking and in the end losing money whenever trading fails.
Activity: 574
Merit: 251
June 30, 2019, 10:06:48 AM
In my opinion trading and poker are very similar. Interface is the only difference. Rules are the same.
I know that part of you will disagree with me with my very first sentence by saying that poker is game of luck and trading is based on indicators, supports, TA, FA and many more. Well you know nothing about trading and poker then Smiley

Why poker is not game based only on luck if cards you get are totally random:

Yea. Cards you get are totally random. But how to explain that we have so many professional poker players that play poker for a living? Well the only thing that they differ form those who are loosing is money management and discipline during bidding.. Bidding is the first and only moment that determines if you will lose or earn in poker. That's the hardest part that needs experience. Why?
With infinity plays you will have every possible card set. Good once, bed once. Sometimes you will lose sometimes you will earn. Key is not to lose less times. That impossible. Key is to lose less money with bed cards than you win with good cards. That's where money management and discipline comes. In poker that's especially hard because you have to say good bye to your money even with quite good card without battle if bidding is going too far and calculated probability of winning is showing you red light to bet higher. But that's the hand that makes bed player go home with 0 and good players stay and fight again.

How about trading?

In trading, you also don't know your opponents "cards". You don't know who is on market (whale are buying or bunch of fomo noobs). If whale than how much money he has left, when will he dump. TA may show various of buy signals but on the other hand that's the best moment for whale to dump (best price and best volume when everyone is sure that price can go only in one direction - f.e after breaking resistance). Will he dump or not? Is support holding for so long because someone is buying at that point or maybe whale stops to sell to don't break it to don't cause panic selling?
How about Fundamental Analysis? That's where we may be even more cheated by insider trading. When news hit market price is very often pumped by whales who new before. NEWS from which you do FA may also be faked by coin team. Even team might be faked.
It means that trading is game of luck? No. That's where money management and discipline comes. Same as with poker. Key is not to lose less times. Key is to lose less money with every bad trade. To cut looses and say good bye to your money even with "quite good card". To learn to enter only those trades with high probability of winning (TA buy signals) combined with low risk (close to support where you could set stop loss). TA indicators are easy to learn in 1-5 days. Good trader is able to earn on market for a living after few years of experience because discipline and money managements takes so much time to master in trading. That's where poker comes in. You can train those skill playing poker where every bet takes minutes not hours/days. You can master those skills faster and even for free playing for unreal money.

Professional trader and poker player will say the same thing: -You lose the most when you are sure that you will win

i dont agree at all, the only real thing i can see that are the same is how you should treat the money you use, and have proper risk managment to not lose it all in one bad luck move.
Activity: 728
Merit: 169
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
June 30, 2019, 09:58:23 AM
Why poker? This gambling game is far from what trading is like.
Sure, there are people who consider even trading to be gambling, but poker requires is about calculating odds based on the info you slowly receive, reading your opponents and outsmarting them.
Trading is about product research, market research, timing and evaluation.

Totally different things.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 256
June 30, 2019, 09:39:45 AM
This post made sense during the bearish market when profit making was hard like gambling.  I guess most experienced cryptocurrency traders would disagree with it today.

Good crypto traders can make profit from most of their trades... not sure this is the case with gambling

Good crypto traders always find ways to try getting benefits from each situation inside the market, there's no bull or bear but they are always finding moving coins to invest and to have a good use of every movements.
But in terms of gambling, again it will be a psychological interpretation whether to use this practice to achieve.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 708
June 30, 2019, 09:11:48 AM
I totally agree.  One huge thing that poker has taught me that translated well in trading is good bankroll management and it's ok to fold and take small losses here and there.

They're both skill games.
We can learn a lot from poker because this is a mind game just like trading so if you do poker its easy now for you to learn trading. But if you want to become a trader, you must not used your gambling experience, it is still good to learn without spending more because in poker you can lose big money so its not good for you to start like this.
Because both needs more skills, it can really improves how strategy you will use not to lose. But trading is better even if your a newbie you can trade even if your not experience gambling. It is not so necessary to play poker if you want to learn trading.
Skills wise yes but if you want to learn trading then you must focus on learning trading directly, where you don’t need to spend time on playing poker which can lose your money. We make big decision on both field but your decision in trading is critical because its a long term decision and not just a day of decision.

There are few kinds of trading: day-trading  swing-trading,  long-term trading, scalping.. in day-trading and scalping you have to make decision very fast - like in poker.. and you see to learn trading you have to focus on trading learning - but  I would like to compare things with sport. There are quite common cases when sporstman complements their main training with additional activities (f.e
 Formula one  drivers are starting in WRC quite often and sometimes they are training cycling etc..) so you can train poker to improve your skills
Ucy
Activity: 2576
Merit: 401
June 26, 2019, 05:05:52 PM
This post made sense during the bearish market when profit making was hard like gambling.  I guess most experienced cryptocurrency traders would disagree with it today.

Good crypto traders can make profit from most of their trades... not sure this is the case with gambling
Activity: 994
Merit: 501
June 25, 2019, 11:27:16 AM
I totally agree.  One huge thing that poker has taught me that translated well in trading is good bankroll management and it's ok to fold and take small losses here and there.

We can learn a lot from poker because this is a mind game just like trading so if you do poker its easy now for you to learn trading. But if you want to become a trader, you must not used your gambling experience, it is still good to learn without spending more because in poker you can lose big money so its not good for you to start like this.
Because both needs more skills, it can really improves how strategy you will use not to lose. But trading is better even if your a newbie you can trade even if your not experience gambling. It is not so necessary to play poker if you want to learn trading.
Skills wise yes but if you want to learn trading then you must focus on learning trading directly, where you don’t need to spend time on playing poker which can lose your money. We make big decision on both field but your decision in trading is critical because its a long term decision and not just a day of decision.

I totally agree, trading and poker may have things in common but they are two different things, it is better to learn trading directly and don't fear to lose because losing can also mean an opportunity for you to make better strategies. Decision making in trading is very critical in the sense that it can make or break your investments.

I prefer to trade at immediate time because it will challenge ourself to create strategy to defeat loses. Perhaps, having experience will evade us from loses that may create good and viable strategy and it also an opportunity to become a great trader in the future. And being a professional trader had experienced failure from time and strive harder to claim the tittle.
I think that being a professional trader or player is not only about skills and experience. It's also about ability to deal with a big losses without losing self-control and draw the right conclusions.
Activity: 798
Merit: 255
June 25, 2019, 10:08:28 AM
In my opinion trading and poker are very similar. Interface is the only difference. Rules are the same.
I know that part of you will disagree with me with my very first sentence by saying that poker is game of luck and trading is based on indicators, supports, TA, FA and many more. Well you know nothing about trading and poker then Smiley

Why poker is not game based only on luck if cards you get are totally random:

Yea. Cards you get are totally random. But how to explain that we have so many professional poker players that play poker for a living? Well the only thing that they differ form those who are loosing is money management and discipline during bidding.. Bidding is the first and only moment that determines if you will lose or earn in poker. That's the hardest part that needs experience. Why?
With infinity plays you will have every possible card set. Good once, bed once. Sometimes you will lose sometimes you will earn. Key is not to lose less times. That impossible. Key is to lose less money with bed cards than you win with good cards. That's where money management and discipline comes. In poker that's especially hard because you have to say good bye to your money even with quite good card without battle if bidding is going too far and calculated probability of winning is showing you red light to bet higher. But that's the hand that makes bed player go home with 0 and good players stay and fight again.

How about trading?

In trading, you also don't know your opponents "cards". You don't know who is on market (whale are buying or bunch of fomo noobs). If whale than how much money he has left, when will he dump. TA may show various of buy signals but on the other hand that's the best moment for whale to dump (best price and best volume when everyone is sure that price can go only in one direction - f.e after breaking resistance). Will he dump or not? Is support holding for so long because someone is buying at that point or maybe whale stops to sell to don't break it to don't cause panic selling?
How about Fundamental Analysis? That's where we may be even more cheated by insider trading. When news hit market price is very often pumped by whales who new before. NEWS from which you do FA may also be faked by coin team. Even team might be faked.
It means that trading is game of luck? No. That's where money management and discipline comes. Same as with poker. Key is not to lose less times. Key is to lose less money with every bad trade. To cut looses and say good bye to your money even with "quite good card". To learn to enter only those trades with high probability of winning (TA buy signals) combined with low risk (close to support where you could set stop loss). TA indicators are easy to learn in 1-5 days. Good trader is able to earn on market for a living after few years of experience because discipline and money managements takes so much time to master in trading. That's where poker comes in. You can train those skill playing poker where every bet takes minutes not hours/days. You can master those skills faster and even for free playing for unreal money.

Professional trader and poker player will say the same thing: -You lose the most when you are sure that you will win

Yes you cant predict what will be the card you will get that it needs luck sometimes to win the game but I think the strategy will always be a must to win the game why? Because it's like this' even how beautiful the opportunity to your life is when you don't move and grab it you can't have it. Same as gambling if you have a good cad then it was your time to give the best when you have bad card then still try, use your strategy.
Activity: 1484
Merit: 253
June 25, 2019, 08:13:29 AM
I totally agree.  One huge thing that poker has taught me that translated well in trading is good bankroll management and it's ok to fold and take small losses here and there.

I totally agree, trading and poker may have things in common but they are two different things, it is better to learn trading directly and don't fear to lose because losing can also mean an opportunity for you to make better strategies. Decision making in trading is very critical in the sense that it can make or break your investments.

I prefer to trade at immediate time because it will challenge ourself to create strategy to defeat loses. Perhaps, having experience will evade us from loses that may create good and viable strategy and it also an opportunity to become a great trader in the future. And being a professional trader had experienced failure from time and strive harder to claim the tittle.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
June 25, 2019, 07:31:37 AM
~Because both needs more skills, it can really improves how strategy you will use not to lose. But trading is better even if your a newbie you can trade even if your not experience gambling. It is not so necessary to play poker if you want to learn trading.

No one is saying it is necessary, but it is definitely helpful. Some people in this thread saying you can't compare the two because poker game is much faster, but I disagree with that. Some poker tournaments can last 3-4 hours and more, and such tournaments really are a good platform for improvement your money management skills. Firstly, in some cases, you can earn up to 10% in just 3 hours while trading. Secondly, you can extrapolate your behavior during a 3 hours' poker tournament to a 3 days' trading period, risking the same percentage of your balance at the respective stages.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 126
June 25, 2019, 07:09:08 AM

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1171
June 25, 2019, 07:02:36 AM
I`m saying for years here, gambling and trading are pretty much the same thing. You risk, you win or lose, you do all over again. It can be fun, it can be entertaining, it can be a lot`s of things, but in the end all that`s count is profit you make or money you lose.
What ever gambling game you play, what ever trading strategy you use, with time and with learning from mistakes you will sharp your skills and start to make profit in one moment, or you will lose all of your money. Just the strongest survive.
Activity: 546
Merit: 32
June 25, 2019, 06:53:26 AM
For me it’s not only poker is what similar to trading but the whole gambling itself,you have mentioned about Luck in poker?but all gambling games needs this as well,and sometimes even sports betting also needs luck as players maybe good but they don’t hold the winning until it was decided

While in trading,even how great the TA and research you’ve made,yet Luck is still in need  coz we know that there are some big players here who made moves every coin they wanna pump and dunk so if you’re lucky to pick one then sure profit will be yours
Not completely because in trading the result can be guess but on gambling its completely unpredictable until the result known.On games like sport betting the results can be manipulated so we cannot always rely on the luck if we are small hand but on poker our skills plays the big role than how big our money is.
Activity: 868
Merit: 185
Roobet supporter and player!
June 25, 2019, 06:47:41 AM
Not necessarily have to be poker. There are even people who consider trading as gambling. The thing is even poker seem more predictable than trading - you can calculate chances. Much of trading is emotions and manipulation.

The lesson of taking small losses like folding holds true in trading though.
Definitely yes! Many people already treat trading as gambling. Some of us knows the environment of trading. And it really looks like a 50/50 percent chance of winning rate. Though, trading is more difficult than gambling, there is also a possibility to have profits in trading. Gambling only needs luck and skills in betting. Trading needs time and discipline.
Activity: 2492
Merit: 212
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
June 25, 2019, 04:39:10 AM
For me it’s not only poker is what similar to trading but the whole gambling itself,you have mentioned about Luck in poker?but all gambling games needs this as well,and sometimes even sports betting also needs luck as players maybe good but they don’t hold the winning until it was decided

While in trading,even how great the TA and research you’ve made,yet Luck is still in need  coz we know that there are some big players here who made moves every coin they wanna pump and dunk so if you’re lucky to pick one then sure profit will be yours
Activity: 1078
Merit: 256
June 25, 2019, 04:22:06 AM
It is a good idea to play poker to improve your skills.I think that trading is a lot like gambling and the only difference is trading has better publicity compared to gambling.

While gambling is considered bad by most of the community trading is considered neutral.However you should be careful as both in gambling or trading you risk to become addicted.
I also think so, although poker is not entirely about luck, but in my opinion poker is different from trading, in trading you cannot just prioritize or rely on luck to be profitable, you need lots of strategies and skills, and trading is not about having fun like on poker, but its okay if you want to do poker to hone trading skills, I don't know if it's related, but it's not a problem to try
Guess its person perceptions if they can compare this two stuff, there's no problem if you think you can relate the two trying to improve your skills,
understanding the flow of the game will also reflect on how will you manage to work  out with your skills and achieved your goals inside trading industry.
Activity: 686
Merit: 108
June 25, 2019, 04:18:59 AM

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1233
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
June 25, 2019, 03:43:21 AM
Nice anlaysis there. The thing that matters for your profit or loss is when you stay and when you withdraw. In that sense Poker and Trading are same.
But Poker is mostly a luck game while many things are involved in trading. Trading too is luck but not as much as poker as events, news, and technical analysis may help deciding the traders about when to pull and when to go in.
Using your skills to analyze and anticipate the next movement will give some similarities between this two venue of activities, if you can analyze well
from both industry then you can take that as an advantages, you can win over your opponents inside poker while you can also get some better position
when you are working with your tradings.

Poker is indeed required analysis but you should do it in short limited time only, it is completely different with analysis in trading. So even if you have great analysis in poker game, it does not mean that you will have the same skills to be applied on trading. Even in sports betting where you have more time to do some analysis like what you can do in trading but still both are very different activities.
How to learn trading is by learning and practicing trading itself, not by learning gambling games (poker or sports betting).

Poker play only increases your analitycal skills in poker and not outside of it.By playing poker you are limited to only this environment and you cannot apply this knowledge you gain from playing poker in other areas,there may be similarities but I don't think poker knowledge can be applied in trading as trading has many factors to count in before deciding what to do.
Pages:
Jump to: