Pages:
Author

Topic: Please stop with mBTC, microBTC, ...! - page 12. (Read 15184 times)

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
July 07, 2014, 01:10:34 PM
Actually you mean 100 million BITS?  

BTC, mBTC, uBTC & Satoshi are all we need.

No, the "bits" proposal is to use "bits" as a shorthand for microBitcoins.

For those that missed it or misunderstood it, the entire "bits" proposal is as follows:

1 satoshi = smallest unit, pretty much in general use today
1 bit       = 100 satoshi, eventually every day use, coffee, sandwiches, etc.
1 XBT     = 1 bit, should be the official symbol on all exchanges, forex, etc.
1 BTC     = 1000000 bits = kept for dealing with larger amounts, may fade

1 Bitcoin/bitcoin as a currency unit fades away

Bitcoin = the Bitcoin protocol

Notice that 1 microBitcoin = 100 satoshi = 1 bit = 1 XBT

When adopted we can all look forward to the day when a shave and a haircut will, once again, cost two bits.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 07, 2014, 12:41:44 PM
If bitcoin is going to grow 100x as many of you desire/predict, doesn't it make sense to develop a denomination now that reflects this future value?

It is easier to view a world where a coffee costs 500 coins instead of 0.000005 coins.  The latter is just nonsensical.

Exactly...glad to hear that someone else actually understands the issue...
Activity: 2
July 07, 2014, 11:58:41 AM
If bitcoin is going to grow 100x as many of you desire/predict, doesn't it make sense to develop a denomination now that reflects this future value?

It is easier to view a world where a coffee costs 500 coins instead of 0.000005 coins.  The latter is just nonsensical.
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
July 07, 2014, 08:05:19 AM
Just use BTC or satoshi (0.00000001) like in:

I just bought a car for 10 BTC!
The new Final Fantasy game will cost only 15000 satoshi!

Using mBTC, uBTC, μBTC is just unnecessary, sounds like a different coin and it will confuse a lot of people.

Coinedup and a few other sites are guilty of using mBTC.

1 satoshi is the smallest unit of BTC that's all people should have to learn. If you want massive user adoption you have to simplify things.

how is that simpler than 1 bitcoin is 1 million BITS?

Actually you mean 100 million BITS?   

BTC, mBTC, uBTC & Satoshi are all we need.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
July 07, 2014, 05:43:08 AM
Just use BTC or satoshi (0.00000001) like in:

I just bought a car for 10 BTC!
The new Final Fantasy game will cost only 15000 satoshi!

Using mBTC, uBTC, μBTC is just unnecessary, sounds like a different coin and it will confuse a lot of people.

Coinedup and a few other sites are guilty of using mBTC.

1 satoshi is the smallest unit of BTC that's all people should have to learn. If you want massive user adoption you have to simplify things.

how is that simpler than 1 bitcoin is 1 million BITS?
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
July 06, 2014, 03:18:52 PM
i agree with OP. burn the metric system!

lol the entire world uses the metric system.

What do you want us to do?  Go back to memorizing how many xx is in yy?  Throw away the base 10 (fingers) model?

back to measuring with your thumbs, legs, elbows and feet.

oh wait that's what they are still doing in america aren't they?

Yeah they are. And then they complain when a sane alternative is suggested ...
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
July 06, 2014, 07:49:27 AM

What do you want us to do?  Go back to memorizing how many xx is in yy?  Throw away the base 10 (fingers) model?

back to measuring with your thumbs, legs, elbows and feet.

oh wait that's what they are still doing in america aren't they?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
July 06, 2014, 02:47:18 AM
It all just seems unnecessary, and tied to pegging BTC to the value of fiat. Why? Maybe it's because I'll always count my bitcoins in whole numbers, being somewhat of an early adopter. I don't price things (fiat value) in cents, either -- I use dollars...
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
July 06, 2014, 02:11:49 AM

What do you want us to do?  Go back to memorizing how many xx is in yy?  Throw away the base 10 (fingers) model?

That is why mBTC, uBTC and Satoshi make sense.  Well Satoshi isn't metric but it sounds better than "bits".   However I'm in Japan which is mostly in the rest of the world, except cars drive on the left hand side of the road here.  
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
July 06, 2014, 01:48:18 AM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
July 06, 2014, 01:38:55 AM
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
July 05, 2014, 09:59:32 PM
It's true that too many divisions can be confusing.
But we need something between satoshis and bitcoins.

Why do we need something between satoshis and bitcoins? What is so bad about looking to the right of the decimal 6 places and counting 6 zeros?
Activity: 462
July 05, 2014, 09:36:17 PM
In third world countries, bitcoin has fresh field, but you have to introduce it to them like mBTCs, seeing that every unit is less than a dollar, it will get sold like hot bread.
People cant afford the idea of buying some currency thats more expensive that his weekly income.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
July 05, 2014, 09:32:52 PM
It's true that too many divisions can be confusing.
But we need something between satoshis and bitcoins.
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
July 05, 2014, 09:22:39 PM
I like satoshi now too.  Everything else is just confusing.  It took awhile but it is a lot easier to keep track of now, especially as the new unit people keep advocating for us all to use keeps changing.  Forget it, just use satoshi, feel rich!
It makes sense to use Satoshi as long as it is not more then 100 satoshi, otherwise you should just use BTC and use decimal places to the right.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
July 05, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
I like satoshi now too.  Everything else is just confusing.  It took awhile but it is a lot easier to keep track of now, especially as the new unit people keep advocating for us all to use keeps changing.  Forget it, just use satoshi, feel rich!
Activity: 28
July 05, 2014, 06:30:59 PM
So?  Bitcoin does not have an adoption problem among tech savvy individuals that see the potential down the road

Corrected that for you

If anything, it's being adopted too quickly already and minor hurdles to mainstream adoption could well be a good thing!

So you are saying that you think it is good to keep an inferior product so that it doesn't see mass adoption? I would think now would be the time to figure out ways to smooth over those minor hurdles, one of them being a great nomenclature and products that will make it easy to use...

Bitcoin is not a company trying to sell a product, it's an experiment in p2p money.  I do not market; I think, criticise, share, debate, and learn.

Bitcoin is not a company trying to sell a product, its people trying to sell a better way to transact in order to get away from the broken system of corruption and greed that is controllned by the few and for the benefit of the few ....but to say that great concepts and ideas don't need a great marketing plan is naive... You can think, criticise, share, debate, and learn ways to make bitcoin more appealing and easier to use just like any other attribute of bitcoin that could be improved upon...

Some years ago, bitcoiners would primarily lead others into understanding.  Today it is considered proper to mislead others into buying.

I mislead people everyday into buying bitcoin...because I think it will improve their way of life down the road... I explain to them the fundamentals of the economy that they currently participate in and how 'fractional reserves' and 'licenses to print money' are just ways to devalue the wealth that everyone else has...and how bitcoin takes the power away from the few, and secures through the power of many...

I could simply show them charts and show how much bitcoin has gone up and value, and then show them how much it will continue to go up (imo) and tell them to jump on the bandwagon for that reason, but then I would be no better then the crooks on wall street who do the same thing without having any legit reason of 'why' it is going to go up... I believe providing the 'why' is more important then providing the 'when', and I believe that's the difference between the bitcoin backers and the alternate choices...
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
July 05, 2014, 03:00:09 PM
And what about the idea to use BITS ?

Sounds like a whole new coin to me nothing to do with bitcoin.

I think sat or s short for satoshi is acceptable, but I don't make the rules. Just think it is unwise to continue with mBTC and alike.

That is quite funny that you say "bit" sounds like a whole new coin and "satoshi" does not.  Roll Eyes

Most people won't even know the connection between Bitcoin and Satoshi.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011
July 05, 2014, 10:55:41 AM
It makes a huge difference...It is one of the single biggest hurdles to mainstream adoption....

So?  Bitcoin does not have an adoption problem.  If anything, it's being adopted too quickly already and minor hurdles to mainstream adoption could well be a good thing!

Bitcoin suffers from marketing, which is a common problem with advanced technology because just like doctors, usually people skilled in the creation or adaptation of advance technology are terrible with marketing....reason being, their brains are far more advanced and they don't relate to the average public in the same way....

Bitcoin is not a company trying to sell a product, it's an experiment in p2p money.  I do not market; I think, criticise, share, debate, and learn.

Some years ago, bitcoiners would primarily lead others into understanding.  Today it is considered proper to mislead others into buying.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
July 05, 2014, 08:34:38 AM
Unit naming discussion resurrected - this means new users - bullish!

Pages:
Jump to: