Pages:
Author

Topic: Please stop with mBTC, microBTC, ...! - page 9. (Read 15184 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 510
July 13, 2014, 07:23:26 AM
Renaming something has little to no impact on the value.   It isn't easier for the value to change if it is smaller or larger.   Especially something that can be handled in fractions.   Claiming renaming bitcoin will have an impact on value isn't rational or even logical.

With stocks sometimes a stock split helps a small amount because stocks typically can only be bought and sold in whole units.   However any effect is typically short lived.    Typically only stocks that are growing a lot are split.  The reason they go up after the split isn't related to the split.  

Youre looking at it from a very narrow point of view, not the view of the average joe shmoe making 30k a year...they are not going to buy a 600 BTC and play around with it...and buying a .1 BTC is a very foreign concept to most people....

You're looking at it from too logical point of view...People are not logical...

The vast majority of BTC owners only own a small fraction of a whole bitcoin.   It isn't a foreign concept at all.   A main selling point of bitcoin is that it is easily to divide down to any size you want.  Thinking that you have to have a whole unit and a label to go with it is the narrow point of view.  

The vast majority of BTC owners are tech conscience or savvy and constitute an extremely tiny percent of the population. It's probably not a foreign concept at all...

Can I ask what you do for a living that would make you an expert on dealing with the general population? Because I meet hundreds and hundreds of people from all walks of life and 99% of them have never even heard of bitcoin...and the 1% that have are fairly intelligent.... I can tell you that most people can't even understand the concept let alone use math properly to understand zeros on the right side...

but the minute I explain to them the concept of a digital dollar they seem to grasp the concept much better....

I have lived and worked in the USA and I'm currently living in Japan.   I believe I have a much broader view of the world than the typical American.   I have actually also lived in Egypt and spent considerable time in multiple countries beside America, Japan and Egypt.   For the record my children are bilingual and go to normal Japanese schools.   (As in they also read and write Japanese as well as English.)  We have high educational standards.

You seem to be the one throwing out generalities, mostly which would only apply to Americans.  While it is true that bitcoin is easier for the tech savvy it isn't limited to them.   That is really true of younger people.   Bitcoin isn't an American thing, it is international and that is what it needs to be to survive than thrive.

The real problem of adaption have nothing to do with the name or units, they are fine.   BTC or Satoshi work fine with SI units.   The real problems are the complexity of wallets and security related to bitcoin storage.   Those are the issues that need to be easy to handle.   A new name does nothing but add confusion.   That is my view, but probably one largely shared.  
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 13, 2014, 06:51:31 AM
Renaming something has little to no impact on the value.   It isn't easier for the value to change if it is smaller or larger.   Especially something that can be handled in fractions.   Claiming renaming bitcoin will have an impact on value isn't rational or even logical.

With stocks sometimes a stock split helps a small amount because stocks typically can only be bought and sold in whole units.   However any effect is typically short lived.    Typically only stocks that are growing a lot are split.  The reason they go up after the split isn't related to the split. 

Youre looking at it from a very narrow point of view, not the view of the average joe shmoe making 30k a year...they are not going to buy a 600 BTC and play around with it...and buying a .1 BTC is a very foreign concept to most people....

The vast majority of BTC owners only own a small fraction of a whole bitcoin.   It isn't a foreign concept at all.   A main selling point of bitcoin is that it is easily to divide down to any size you want.  Thinking that you have to have a whole unit and a label to go with it is the narrow point of view.   

The vast majority of BTC owners are tech conscience or savvy and constitute an extremely tiny percent of the population. It's probably not a foreign concept at all...

Can I ask what you do for a living that would make you an expert on dealing with the general population? Because I meet hundreds and hundreds of people from all walks of life and 99% of them have never even heard of bitcoin...and the 1% that have are fairly intelligent.... I can tell you that most people can't even understand the concept let alone use math properly to understand zeros on the right side...

but the minute I explain to them the concept of a digital dollar they seem to grasp the concept much better....
July 13, 2014, 06:38:56 AM
I'm also with OP. I see a lot of talk about hey guys let's make a new name and let's call such and such this new name.

well, i certainly see the merit in using an international standard like the metric system over some made-up denomination like "bits", but generally i agree. it's BTC, and i'm quite used to calculating in that denomination...

some people are used to measuring distances in inches, feet and miles.

Only a small percent of the world's population.   Even they aren't supposed to be using those absurd units anymore.   
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
July 13, 2014, 06:34:45 AM
I'm also with OP. I see a lot of talk about hey guys let's make a new name and let's call such and such this new name.

well, i certainly see the merit in using an international standard like the metric system over some made-up denomination like "bits", but generally i agree. it's BTC, and i'm quite used to calculating in that denomination...

some people are used to measuring distances in inches, feet and miles.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
July 13, 2014, 06:19:45 AM

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 13, 2014, 12:13:13 AM
I like satoshi now too.  Everything else is just confusing.  It took awhile but it is a lot easier to keep track of now, especially as the new unit people keep advocating for us all to use keeps changing.  Forget it, just use satoshi, feel rich!
It makes sense to use Satoshi as long as it is not more then 100 satoshi, otherwise you should just use BTC and use decimal places to the right.

I think satoshi are totally the way to go.  I'd much rather say 100,000 satoshi than one-thousandth of a bitcoin.  Looking through this tread and seeing people not even agree on what bits are further reinforces this.  Simple is good and satoshi are simple.  Zeros to the left of the decimal place are easier for most people than zeros to the right even if it denotes exactly the same thing.
If you use satoshi when referring to this high of a percentage of a bitcoin, it makes it seem like, to an outsider, that bitcoin is not worth very much. Kind of like how one DOGE is worth very little and the fact that DOGE is not really worth anything as a coin.
July 13, 2014, 12:06:40 AM
Renaming something has little to no impact on the value.   It isn't easier for the value to change if it is smaller or larger.   Especially something that can be handled in fractions.   Claiming renaming bitcoin will have an impact on value isn't rational or even logical.

With stocks sometimes a stock split helps a small amount because stocks typically can only be bought and sold in whole units.   However any effect is typically short lived.    Typically only stocks that are growing a lot are split.  The reason they go up after the split isn't related to the split. 

The vast majority of BTC owners only own a small fraction of a whole bitcoin.   It isn't a foreign concept at all.   A main selling point of bitcoin is that it is easily to divide down to any size you want.  Thinking that you have to have a whole unit and a label to go with it is the narrow point of view.   
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
July 12, 2014, 11:00:30 PM
I like satoshi now too.  Everything else is just confusing.  It took awhile but it is a lot easier to keep track of now, especially as the new unit people keep advocating for us all to use keeps changing.  Forget it, just use satoshi, feel rich!
It makes sense to use Satoshi as long as it is not more then 100 satoshi, otherwise you should just use BTC and use decimal places to the right.

I think satoshi are totally the way to go.  I'd much rather say 100,000 satoshi than one-thousandth of a bitcoin.  Looking through this tread and seeing people not even agree on what bits are further reinforces this.  Simple is good and satoshi are simple.  Zeros to the left of the decimal place are easier for most people than zeros to the right even if it denotes exactly the same thing.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
July 12, 2014, 10:37:17 PM
I'm also with OP. I see a lot of talk about hey guys let's make a new name and let's call such and such this new name. Guys I'll be honest when I first started it took forever just to understand what a satoshi was and  fairly intelligent and tec Davy and I couldn't find the answer. Just keep it simple for now. If BTC price goes to $1,000,000 then I'm sure due to common usage a new nickname will emerge and we won't have to "vote" on it
July 12, 2014, 10:01:25 PM
A lot of you all are missing the point. You are making assumptions that the average person has a higher intelligence then what they really do...Watch Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" excerpts and you will see what we are dealing with...

If you want to use 6 places past the decimal for daily transacting then bitcoin will either stay where it is, as a niche currency, or it will fail....because it is impossible to use by average people within those constraints....

I don't think people realize how easy it is to make mistakes and miss a zero and pay 10x the amount you should have...

what really needs to happen is to split bitcoin and essentially rename btc to whatever denomination will properly suit the times....that's how bitcoin becomes worth a million bucks....multiple splits were people forget what the old valuation of it was....

Thats also where an exchange like the Winklevoss one could spearhead moves like this. Its just nomenclature, but its important....

it BTC were to split right now and sell for 6 dollars each, people would buy a lot more of them and the price would creep back up to 600 again in no time....thus essentially be worth 3600 now (im rounding)....

splitting is the answer to everything, its just a matter of 'how' to implement such a system...

PS - when i say splitting essentially what i am saying is use a lower denomination of BTC as the BTC nomenclature, not actually ADDING bitcoins to the network...I know there is a finite amount....but right now we have room to move those decimal points to the right to make everything more user friendly...

Your point about too many zeros causing problems is valid.   That is why people will use SI prefixes to avoid zeros.

The rest?  You really sound like you are just out of the loony bin.   Let's see if I just take a gold bar and split it I'll soon have 2x the value ... Yea right.

You misunderstand what I say...And there is no need for the personal attack.

What I am saying is from a consumer standpoint call it 'a split'...but in reality it would just be a renaming of the nomenclature so that whereas right now a BTC=BTC but after the split a mBTC would become the new BTC...

And your gold bar example makes no sense...I did not say that a BTC would automatically double...what I said is that the value would reset to $6 and you would have 100x times more of the $6 valued BTC...same numbers....but (and this is IMO), it would be easier for the value of the $6 to go to $10 then the value of a $600 to go to a $1000....Why do you think the stock market uses splitting so much...no value is actually increased, but it allows the continual rise by keeping the values within a range of numbers that are easier for people to work with and that are more appealing....

July 12, 2014, 06:47:23 PM
A lot of you all are missing the point. You are making assumptions that the average person has a higher intelligence then what they really do...Watch Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" excerpts and you will see what we are dealing with...

If you want to use 6 places past the decimal for daily transacting then bitcoin will either stay where it is, as a niche currency, or it will fail....because it is impossible to use by average people within those constraints....

I don't think people realize how easy it is to make mistakes and miss a zero and pay 10x the amount you should have...

what really needs to happen is to split bitcoin and essentially rename btc to whatever denomination will properly suit the times....that's how bitcoin becomes worth a million bucks....multiple splits were people forget what the old valuation of it was....

Thats also where an exchange like the Winklevoss one could spearhead moves like this. Its just nomenclature, but its important....

it BTC were to split right now and sell for 6 dollars each, people would buy a lot more of them and the price would creep back up to 600 again in no time....thus essentially be worth 3600 now (im rounding)....

splitting is the answer to everything, its just a matter of 'how' to implement such a system...

PS - when i say splitting essentially what i am saying is use a lower denomination of BTC as the BTC nomenclature, not actually ADDING bitcoins to the network...I know there is a finite amount....but right now we have room to move those decimal points to the right to make everything more user friendly...

Your point about too many zeros causing problems is valid.   That is why people will use SI prefixes to avoid zeros.

The rest?  You really sound like you are just out of the loony bin.   Let's see if I just take a gold bar and split it I'll soon have 2x the value ... Yea right.

What I am saying is from a consumer standpoint call it 'a split'...but in reality it would just be a renaming of the nomenclature so that whereas right now a BTC=BTC but after the split a mBTC would become the new BTC...

And your gold bar example makes no sense...I did not say that a BTC would automatically double...what I said is that the value would reset to $6 and you would have 100x times more of the $6 valued BTC...same numbers....but (and this is IMO), it would be easier for the value of the $6 to go to $10 then the value of a $600 to go to a $1000....Why do you think the stock market uses splitting so much...no value is actually increased, but it allows the continual rise by keeping the values within a range of numbers that are easier for people to work with and that are more appealing....

July 12, 2014, 06:26:47 PM

July 12, 2014, 06:10:49 PM

July 12, 2014, 05:23:23 PM

July 12, 2014, 04:42:35 PM
But this example is of someone who is not interest in bitcoin and just somehow knows that mBTC and uBTC mean with no prior knowledge.

Then it doesn't matter what units or names are used!  For any unit of measurement some knowledge is necessary. 
That is exactly my point is that it would be impossible to know that mBTC or uBTC means without some prior knowledge.
So?  How does that have anything to so with what the unit should be?   Following a standard is easiest for learning new units.  The SI standard is by far the best choice because it will be used no matter what other units are put out to use.   

For example if BITs were used then people would use KBITs because BIT becomes just like a gram.  (Kg) 
Now KBITs is just bad because it is overloaded and confusing.   
Activity: 644
Merit: 260
July 12, 2014, 04:33:14 PM
But this example is of someone who is not interest in bitcoin and just somehow knows that mBTC and uBTC mean with no prior knowledge.

Then it doesn't matter what units or names are used!  For any unit of measurement some knowledge is necessary. 
That is exactly my point is that it would be impossible to know that mBTC or uBTC means without some prior knowledge.
July 12, 2014, 04:13:47 PM

Activity: 644
Merit: 260
July 12, 2014, 03:08:33 PM
I agree with OP, Bitcoin and Satoshi are the only reasonable units.

Both units naturally emerged from usage. There is no advantage in propagating other units, they only add confusion.

In addition there is absolutely no problem in expressing amounts below 0.01 BTC efficiently  in Satoshi: You can just use the common abbreviation for thousands: 'k'.
So for example 100k Satoshi are 0.001 BTC. Simple and intuitive.

I agree with this. In a way, I feel like you can use mBTC/ bits/whatever if you want. Just stop trying to make it a standard. I want to say 0.00001 BTC. Why is that a problem? We aren't dealing with 5 year olds, any teenager+ knows what a decimal is.

Using lots of zeros isn't standard.   While you can do it in general it is too error prone and inconvenient.  World wide any teenager+ knows what mBTC or uBTC means, even if they don't know what BTC is.  That is probably even true in the USA, so maybe it is time to learn the prefixes.
How would anyone at all know what mBTC or uBTC means if they don't know what BTC is? That is a baseless assumption and simply untrue.

If you were to use decimals then it would be very clear as to exactly how much BTC would be in question.

mBTC - 1/1000th of a BTC
uBTC - 1/1,000,000 of a BTC

Even my 10 year old knows that.   She doesn't have any clue or even care what a BTC is right now.   She is only interested in money that she can cram in her pocket.   
Okay you have successfully explained what mBTC and uBTC is, but you have not explained how some random person would know what these measurements mean.

The person insterested in bitcoin will get google and will know what does that mean, if someone is not buying or using bitcoin its useless if they know that or not.
July 11, 2014, 11:59:45 PM

Both units naturally emerged from usage. There is no advantage in propagating other units, they only add confusion.

In addition there is absolutely no problem in expressing amounts below 0.01 BTC efficiently  in Satoshi: You can just use the common abbreviation for thousands: 'k'.

I agree with this. In a way, I feel like you can use mBTC/ bits/whatever if you want. Just stop trying to make it a standard. I want to say 0.00001 BTC. Why is that a problem? We aren't dealing with 5 year olds, any teenager+ knows what a decimal is.

Using lots of zeros isn't standard.   While you can do it in general it is too error prone and inconvenient.  World wide any teenager+ knows what mBTC or uBTC means, even if they don't know what BTC is.  That is probably even true in the USA, so maybe it is time to learn the prefixes.
How would anyone at all know what mBTC or uBTC means if they don't know what BTC is? That is a baseless assumption and simply untrue.

If you were to use decimals then it would be very clear as to exactly how much BTC would be in question.

mBTC - 1/1000th of a BTC

Even my 10 year old knows that.   She doesn't have any clue or even care what a BTC is right now.   She is only interested in money that she can cram in her pocket.   
Okay you have successfully explained what mBTC and uBTC is, but you have not explained how some random person would know what these measurements mean.

The person insterested in bitcoin will get google and will know what does that mean, if someone is not buying or using bitcoin its useless if they know that or not.

The whole point of using standards is people understand the fraction that is represented.   Most of the world buys liquids in mL, for example 200 mL.   "m" - milli is completely standard.   

m => 1/1000, nothing hard about it.   

One may have to explain BTC but not mBTC.   
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
July 11, 2014, 10:23:31 PM

mBTC - 1/1000th of a BTC

Pages:
Jump to: