Pages:
Author

Topic: Police State? - page 4. (Read 25883 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 25, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Not even the widest interpretation of Executive Order would allow a President to order the opposite. 

You are quite incorrect, my friend:

In a recent Rolling Stone interview, Obama provided a factually wrong answer that radically distorted the nature of federal law in an attempt to deflect criticism for the federal crackdown on medical marijuana. Obama claimed he “can’t nullify Congressional law” when it comes to medical marijuana, even though the Controlled Substance Act actually gives the Executive branch the authority to “reschedule” (reclassify) marijuana without Congressional action. By simply moving marijuana to a lower schedule the Obama administration could make medical marijuana legal under federal law. Obama would not need to nullify this Congressional law, because Congress already gave him the authority to change marijuana’s legal status.

http://justsaynow.firedoglake.com/2012/04/30/holder-admits-obama-misled-rolling-stone-about-marijuana-law/
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 25, 2013, 02:21:54 PM
It has the fig-leaf that they are used to implement laws and uphold the office of president but the capacity for abuse is there.  Apparently only Clinton did abuse them recently.  

Are you kidding? Bush abused the hell out of them. Obama's been almost as bad as Clinton.

There is a distinction between using a power in a way you disapprove of and abusing a power.

Savarian - there is a law on the books that criminalises cannabis use.  Not even the widest interpretation of Executive Order would allow a President to order the opposite. 
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2013, 11:55:26 PM
I value my rights so much that I'm upset that they(our loyal police servicemen) are searching peoples houses regardless of their consent.

Do you not value your rights and freedoms? You say you do but it seems you couldn't give less of a fuck about this encroachment on our rights.

It's in the name of safety ... for the children. It always is "eye roll"

No incorrect if you denied them to enter they didn't enter, just that most people aren't hiding anything and felt safer with them searching. If this was happening every month I would have an issue, but since it was a special situation, there was a terrorist and bomber on the loose, I guess you just don't understand the situation.

Let me pose you this question, lets say that you owned a house, and in the basement the bomber was hiding not that you knew, and you turned the police away cause you could have done that. And he escaped, how would you feel? I know if that was me I would feel I let my community down. I am just saying in special situation you have to be understanding, and I think you don't.

Honestly if you have nothing to hide, what is the big deal. I don't do drugs, I don't do creepy, weird things in my apartment with girls. I mean I am normal so I don't see the big deal in a special situation as this.

the loyalty to service these people are showing you and you just don't understand.

They're doing their jobs. They signed up for it. I don't know why people doing their jobs well should get some kind of special treatment. Recognition for protecting the public from a danger is an understandable reward. But the incessant drumbeat of talking about civilian cops as one would talk about soldiers is a little pathological.

I actually was going to be a cop at some point in my life, and I ended up falling in love with computers so now I am here, but I guess I just have a different view on that job. I think cops deserve a little bit of a better rap then they been getting. I just have a different experience with that job. Being an officer is the hardest job, especially in 2013, I know I am not going to convert anyone on this forum, but let just say one thing when see a cop if you hate them or whatever, just give him a thumbs up or hello or a thank you, cause you really don't understand how hard that job is and I do.

Those basically are the same just one is camo and one isn't.
No, not really. One is, and looks like, a police uniform. The other is, and looks like, a military uniform. Cops do not need camo.

I still don't see a problem with this, I know you guys are probably hardcore left wing people and I am not hardcore right or left. I think they were justified Boston people say they were justified, if that is brainwashing then I am brainwashed but I will also defend your right to say what you want to say, and we agree to disagree.
Ironically, your comrade in arms, Viceroy, is a hardcore leftie. And he was cheering just as hard as you. At least you've yet to call me names, so that's an improvement. I myself am a hardcore libertarian - that is to say, I'm an anarchist. As such, I may be a little biased against the actions of the State, but even with that bias, I can see that this is clearly going to far, and not how a manhunt in a friendly city should be executed.

I just want to leave this here...

http://youtu.be/7UZ10Y2LmnE?t=3m47s

If this doesn't make you proud of the police force for doing an amazing job, then you sir, shouldn't be living here, you should live on an island where you make the rules, cause you don't appreciate the freedoms you have, the loyalty to service these people are showing you and you just don't understand.
Hey, it's great that they got the guy. It's great that the citizens were happy that they got the guy. But the populace cheering isn't always a good thing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfW7KA76gQ

Ok the nazi stuff really is bothering me, remember that is the 1920's to 1940's information was easily controlled, and today it is very difficult. I doubt anything like that would happen today in America.

Also I don't agree with Viceroy, I think he was going about it totally wrong, he was just yelling at anything you guys were saying, and not making sense. At least I am fairly well educated (Ivy League Schooling, not Harvard or MIT) and I can debate correctly.

Are you a cop do you know what they need? Also the camo really sticks out in an urban setting so why are you against them wearing camo? Honestly it is basically the same body armor just one is camo and the other one is blue, so I don't see your point.
April 25, 2013, 01:57:42 PM
No. Executive orders. That's the president making laws, and instructing the executive branch to enforce them. I don't believe any of them have ever been brought before the judicial, either.

How's that for separation of powers?

The President has the power to decriminalize cannabis with a phone call to the Justice Department. A majority of the country wants to see legal cannabis and their legislators and their executives aren't responsive to the will of the country.

Hawker, this is why the chestnut about not blaming the cops for enforcing bad laws is in error. The laws aren't representative of the will of the country because laws are passed and enforced through arbitrary powers, not representative powers. It's been this way for many decades here in the US. I don't blame cops for being ignorant of history but I do blame them for being ignorant of the fact, willfully or otherwise, that they're not bound to enforce invalid laws.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 25, 2013, 01:53:53 PM
It has the fig-leaf that they are used to implement laws and uphold the office of president but the capacity for abuse is there.  Apparently only Clinton did abuse them recently.  

Are you kidding? Bush abused the hell out of them. Obama's been almost as bad as Clinton.
April 25, 2013, 01:52:04 PM
breaking down the separation of powers is an essential step in creating a police state. 

Agreed. It's the point of the thread, eh? Wink
legendary
April 25, 2013, 01:50:03 PM
No - the Nazis actively had a parallel organisation called the SD that was not subject to the law.  

So, which US extralegal parallel organization would you like to discuss? NSA? CIA? DHS?

There isn't one.  All of those are part of the executive.  

The closest big breach of separation of powers in the US is the Supreme Court itself.  Decisions like Roe vs Wade show it is making law which is an infringement of the role of the legislature.
No. Executive orders. That's the president making laws, and instructing the executive branch to enforce them. I don't believe any of them have ever been brought before the judicial, either.

Interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

I didn't know that existed.  It's interesting that its not been abused in the way the Supreme Court has abused its role of interpreting the constitution.  Thanks for pointing it out.

legendary
April 24, 2013, 11:21:32 PM
No, you don't. Body armor, maybe. A swat team, once you've found him, if he won't come easy. Not tanks and door-to-door military-style sweeps.

Ok so body armor isn't being a solider, and what tanks? The SWAT team uses armored vehicles, they don't have tanks, tanks would imply they have weapons on the vehicle and used tracks.
Oh, we're getting pedantic about the definition of "tank," now, are we?

Very well, APC (still a military vehicle, btw).
As for the body armor,

OK:

NOT OK:

Those basically are the same just one is camo and one isn't.

Are we really comparing boston manhunt to Tiananmen Square, can we please re-read history and view these as two different things.

I still don't see a problem with this, I know you guys are probably hardcore left wing people and I am not hardcore right or left. I think they were justified Boston people say they were justified, if that is brainwashing then I am brainwashed but I will also defend your right to say what you want to say, and we agree to disagree.

I just want to leave this here...

http://youtu.be/7UZ10Y2LmnE?t=3m47s

If this doesn't make you proud of the police force for doing an amazing job, then you sir, shouldn't be living here, you should live on an island where you make the rules, cause you don't appreciate the freedoms you have, the loyalty to service these people are showing you and you just don't understand.
April 25, 2013, 01:41:15 PM
No - the Nazis actively had a parallel organisation called the SD that was not subject to the law.  

So, which US extralegal parallel organization would you like to discuss? NSA? CIA? DHS?

The closest big breach of separation of powers in the US is the Supreme Court itself.  Decisions like Roe vs Wade show it is making law which is an infringement of the role of the legislature.

legendary
April 25, 2013, 01:36:39 PM

The closest big breach of separation of powers in the US is the Supreme Court itself.  Decisions like Roe vs Wade show it is making law which is an infringement of the role of the legislature.
April 25, 2013, 01:30:15 PM

legendary
April 24, 2013, 11:00:45 PM
No, you don't. Body armor, maybe. A swat team, once you've found him, if he won't come easy. Not tanks and door-to-door military-style sweeps.

Ok so body armor isn't being a solider, and what tanks? The SWAT team uses armored vehicles, they don't have tanks, tanks would imply they have weapons on the vehicle and used tracks.
legendary
April 25, 2013, 01:25:16 PM

Actually his shtick was "If you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth."

That's a good one too. Goebbels had many schticks.

One of them was never holding the police accountable.

As I said in another post, breaking down the separation of powers is an essential step in creating a police state. 
April 25, 2013, 01:19:51 PM

That's a good one too. Goebbels had many schticks.

One of them was never holding the police accountable.

legendary
April 24, 2013, 10:45:52 PM
You don't need tanks, you don't need military-style camo outfits, you don't need assault rifles.

But the guy had bombs, and assault rifles, so you want to have cops who are not properly trained to handle a very dangerous suspect?

Did I say anything about not training them? No. I believe I said things about not equipping them for going to war on the populace instead of capturing a fugitive. In fact, you quoted what I said. Read it again.

But you need to that type of equipment when someone is at that point, where they don't have any regard for public or law enforcement. plus you said just have cops looking in sewers and streets.
legendary
April 25, 2013, 01:12:54 PM
Don't blame the police for the decisions of the voters.

Joseph Goebbels made the same argument.

Don't give credit where its not due.
April 25, 2013, 12:38:58 PM

Joseph Goebbels made the same argument.
legendary
April 24, 2013, 10:40:47 PM
You don't need tanks, you don't need military-style camo outfits, you don't need assault rifles.

But the guy had bombs, and assault rifles, so you want to have cops who are not properly trained to handle a very dangerous suspect? This would result in more deaths and harm to the public. They also clearly asked to enter the houses they went to, my friend let me know that SWAT knocked on his door, clearly id themselves and asked if they can look inside his home. He agreed to let them in. They didn't force there way in.

Also they didn't fill him with holes, the other suspect died from injuries from his own BOMB. Not police actions.

I don't see holes on him...
Activity: 406
April 25, 2013, 12:37:22 PM
if only votes still mattered - when the results aren't fixed as they were with Bush Jr, you still end up with the same Israeli controlled govt.
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
April 25, 2013, 11:08:27 AM

And this is one of the many reasons why the state doesn't make sense.

When you say voters, you don't mean individual people, you mean the majority of voters.  Or rather the person who supposedly represents the majority of voters but in reality has his own ideas which may or may not coincide with the majority of voters, and that's assuming that the concept of a majority of people getting to decide what everyone can and can't do is a valid one (which it obviously isn't and can be proven to be false).

And society as a whole goes along with the whole sham and wonders why bad stuff is always happening.

"We just need to get the right people in and everything will be OK"   Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: