Pages:
Author

Topic: Police State? - page 8. (Read 25882 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501
April 24, 2013, 03:00:43 PM
You just implied that all bankers are jews, this is a racial slur.   Isn't that EXACTLY what Hitler said?

Furthermore you implied that I was the one making the slur, which I did not.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 24, 2013, 02:54:08 PM
You know, replace "terrorist" with "jew" and this guy really starts to sound like antibanker.
I am offended at this off topic racial slur.  Please ban the user.
I wouldn't hold your breath, chief. Especially since I made no racial slur.
April 24, 2013, 02:48:02 PM
You know, replace "terrorist" with "jew" and this guy really starts to sound like antibanker.

I am offended at this off topic racial slur.  Please ban the user.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
April 24, 2013, 02:41:06 PM
Lots of professors write papers.  America is not a police state.  Can you find a scholar who concludes otherwise?

You mistake me, I'm not trying to find proof that America is a police state.  I'm asking what it would take for America to become a police state.

It seems to me that there is a scale between anarchy and totalitarianism.  There are no complete totalitarian states, nor are there any complete anarchic states.  I would put Hong Kong towards the anarchy side of the scale, and North Korea towards to the totalitarian side of the scale.

It seems to me that the intention of the OP was to point out that the events surrounding the hunt for the suspect implicated in the Boston Marathon bombings slid the United States further towards the totalitarian side of the scale to some degree.  It seems that the counter argument is that the United States has not crossed the line into being a 'police state'.   These views are not incompatible.

My question is, where is the line?  What events have to occur to cross the threshold?
April 24, 2013, 02:32:08 PM
April 24, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
Lots of professors write papers.  America is not a police state.  Can you find a scholar who concludes otherwise?
April 24, 2013, 02:24:46 PM
Take away separation of powers would be an essential first step.  From that point on, you are on a sliding slope to tyranny.

This guys seems to think we already have a problem with separation of powers in the United States.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/lawreview/v106/n2/527/LR106n2Calabresi.pdf

What's the second step?

April 24, 2013, 01:46:43 PM
Take away separation of powers would be an essential first step. 

Agreed.   A Police State is THE OPPOSITE of America.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 24, 2013, 01:40:46 PM
NO, there is no evidence the USA is a police state.  

The definition of police state is clear:
a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.

What are the milestones that need to happen in order to transition from a state to a police state?

Take away separation of powers would be an essential first step.  From that point on, you are on a sliding slope to tyranny.
April 24, 2013, 01:19:00 PM

a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.

What are the milestones that need to happen in order to transition from a state to a police state?
April 24, 2013, 01:15:26 PM

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.
April 24, 2013, 01:12:44 PM
Let me know if you get around to any evidence that America is a Police State.  Since you can't I guess we can just end this conversation here and the OP can lock the thread.

(A picture of a gutted cat was removed from this forum because members found it off topic.  I don't disagree, it was indeed off topic.  Though I could have caged it in the text "hey myrkul, this is what happens in police states" and showed the gutted cat and then draw some red lines and arrows on it pointing to the place where the secret police gutted the cat... but I'm too lazy ;-) )

Do you think America is a police state?  I'd be interested in some opinions on why it is or isn't.

Was there an issue with your cat?  Did the police come into your house in a raid and shoot your cat?  That would probably make me less fond of the police if it happened to me as well.
April 24, 2013, 11:15:19 AM
Yes, that's the definition.  Congratulations on figuring out the copy and paste function on your computer.  Let me know if you get around to any evidence that America is a Police State.  Since you can't I guess we can just end this conversation here and the OP can lock the thread.

And for those fluent in English... here's the full definition:

(A picture of a gutted cat was removed from this forum because members found it off topic.  I don't disagree, it was indeed off topic.  Though I could have caged it in the text "hey myrkul, this is what happens in police states" and showed the gutted cat and then draw some red lines and arrows on it pointing to the place where the secret police gutted the cat... but I'm too lazy ;-) )
April 24, 2013, 11:07:22 AM
I'll just leave these here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The definition of a police state again:
"a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force".
April 24, 2013, 10:55:21 AM
waaa  waaa waaaa   waaa  waaa   waaaa  waaaa  waaaaa
QFT
April 24, 2013, 10:53:13 AM
waaa  waaa waaaa   waaa  waaa   waaaa  waaaa  waaaaa
April 24, 2013, 10:52:13 AM
Yeah, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Have a nice day, Viceroy.
April 24, 2013, 10:50:26 AM
No, it doesn't. If there was only one state in the world it could still be a police state.

America is not a police state.  Here is the definition:
"a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force".

Again, it's been shown here that you're terrorist lover.

Proof or it didn't happen.  

Myrkul responds:
waaa  waaaa   weaaaa  waaaa   waaaa  

I state:
My kindergartener is more mature, at least he can form coherent thoughts

Myrhul responds:
waaaa waaa  waaaa waaa waaaa waaaa  waaa  but I'm important! waaa waaa waaa waaa

Once she stops crying I turn to her and say:

There remains plenty of proof that you are reveling in the terrorism that occurred in Boston.  I'm certain the Texas Authorities want to know your name.... so they can export you with your whore mum.  She doesn't love you.  If she did she would stay.  Clearly you are such a lowly piece of shit that your whore mom won't even stay with you.  She left you with nothing.  You are alone. 
April 24, 2013, 10:48:54 AM
Still nothing worthwhile to ad to the conversation, huh myrkul?  I would think somebody with a high school diploma, which I presume you've earned given your incredibly worldly and mature views (cough), would be able to form an actual sentence contributing just one useful thing to this adult conversation. 

I guess you are just out to prove me wrong, huh?

Well, this is at least more coherent than yesterday. I hope you weren't up too long last night writing it. Feel free to address any of my points, if you'd like.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 24, 2013, 10:48:08 AM
Still nothing worthwhile to ad to the conversation, huh myrkul?  I would think somebody with a high school diploma, which I presume you've earned given your incredibly worldly and mature views (cough), would be able to form an actual sentence contributing just one useful thing to this adult conversation. 

I guess you are just out to prove me wrong, huh?

myrkul is enjoying a thought experiment in which we imagine a world without states.  As part of that, every state is a police state to him.  If you can't handle that, ignore him. 
Pages:
Jump to: