Pages:
Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 23. (Read 465675 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Whatever hidden1 is on X13 it is showing notably lower profits (first 10K, then 5K and now 3.333K blocks).
Got any X13 coins in the works (preferably new launches? Smiley
Activity: 322
Merit: 254
@PW
still 6000 Judgecoin sitting in unconfirmed ...

Yep, still trying to figure out exactly what is causing these stuck blocks.  Just reprocessed the judgecoin blocks (just takes a while, or else I'd do it more often), and it found a chunk of orphaned blocks...
This seems to be happening to X11 also.  Does this affect the vsLTC significantly?

Nope.  Normally by only a percent (if that).  I was digging into it yesterday, but wasn't able to find anything that would cause it.  Doing the same today...
@PW

Yep, still trying to figure out exactly what is causing these stuck blocks.  Just reprocessed the judgecoin blocks (just takes a while, or else I'd do it more often), and it found a chunk of orphaned blocks...
This seems to be happening to X11 also.  Does this affect the vsLTC significantly?
Sign me up Smiley
PW, can you present a "short term" profitability? Not a day long, but like 2 hours? That a site like http://149.5.241.57/?scrypt=&nscrypt=&x11=4400&x13=3200 can use to estimate profitability of an algorithm, based on our own speed for different algorithms?

Someone has been asking for this to my email as well.

Essentially, a 2hr block of profitability really isn't useful.  Any spot profitability really isn't useful.

The biggest problem is that profitability is really only valid for a few seconds most of the time.  And that profitability is rarely what you actually get.  Most coins change difficulty every block, and so when difficulty drops a coin, the next block becomes reasonably profitable.  But since everyone else (other multipools mostly) see that same change, everyone tends to jump on that new block.  With everyone jumping on it, the hashrate increases, and the average block time drops from (normally ~60s) to down to like 10s.  Making the likelyhood that we find the block lower.  So while the pool is going to claim that the profitability is high, that profitability is only an expected profitability (much of the time, the realized earnings are 0), and it is typically only over a few seconds.

That would be the problem with displaying (essentially) real-time profitability.  It is wildly inaccurate.

If we instead showed realized profitability, 2 hours is way too short to give an accurate estimate, and the vast majority of the time, that estimate is going to be either 50%, or 200% (vs LTC), which again, isn't really a useful stat to base any sort of decision process on.

For example, below is a graph I have in the admin section, it shows perMHs (vsLTC) on 1hr intervals.  While they're not 2hr intervals, and you'd increase smoothing a bit, individual points on this graph are pretty much useless to base any decisions on.  The only reason I have it on the admin section is so I can see longer trends, and general (over multiple days) corrolations.

Publishing any point on that graph is just asking for trouble from my perspective.  I already get enough emails (5-10?) every day between 00:00:00 and like 02:00:00 from people being like "WTF PROFIT FOR TODAY IS 10% WTF!"
@PW

@PW
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Sign me up Smiley
PW, can you present a "short term" profitability? Not a day long, but like 2 hours? That a site like http://149.5.241.57/?scrypt=&nscrypt=&x11=4400&x13=3200 can use to estimate profitability of an algorithm, based on our own speed for different algorithms?
We need some more ultra profitable PoW+PoS coins for X13 again Smiley
@PW
block 38640 reached and PoW is over for Judgecoin.

EDIT: Looks good it appears switcher disabled Judge properly Smiley we found next to last block 38639 Smiley

Yeah, as long as we know when the blocks end (and don't miss a ninja update to a coin that lowers the number of blocks) we normally disable it right on time Smiley

Also, it looks like viacoin has some problems with blocks getting stuck (they must have changed something with their daemon...).  They're processing now.  Everything is working fine in terms of mining/exchanging, they're just getting stuck for stats...
@PW
block 38640 reached and PoW is over for Judgecoin.

EDIT: Looks good it appears switcher disabled Judge properly Smiley we found next to last block 38639 Smiley
@PW
About 90 blocks left to go to end of PoW on Judgecoin.  Now 40 to go ...
legendary
Activity: 1237
Merit: 1010
So, I've been getting a few emails from people, and wanted to bring it up here so that everyone knows what is happening.

It looks like BTC-e changed their deposit addresses (not sure why - haven't looked into it), and a handful of users had been mining to the deposit address listed there.  Now that their deposit addresses have been reset however, those coins are now essentially lost.

With a normal address that you own the keys (a personal wallet, on your own computer, or something like blockchain.info - who gives you the keys), you can sign a message from your address.  Which is a way to prove that you own the address.  Unfortunately, when you use an exchange's address, you don't actually own it.  The exchange owns the address (they hold the private keys), and they let you use it on their terms.

In the past (and still), if you end up needing a payout address changed, an email to me with the old address, new address, and a message signed by the old address with text like "Please transfer my earnings from XXX to YYY" is what I would need to prove that you owned the old address, and it is a (reasonably) trivial matter for me to switch the earnings.

The reason for the precautions is just a matter of proof.  While I don't think anyone has tried to "steal" balances from another user, allowing balance transfers just from an email request, with no proof that you owned the original address is just a matter of security.

So what you are saying is you relied on a third party wallet and now that the third party changed their addresses your users are fucked? Seriously? That's the level of professionalism you base your service on?  Roll Eyes

No, what he is saying is that users who used a 3rd party wallet (pool wallet) cant transfer balances from their old deposit address because there is no way to prove they own the address

Woops, yeah I read over it again and it makes a lot more sense. Well, to bad for those users I guess.
Activity: 36

So what you are saying is you relied on a third party wallet and now that the third party changed their addresses your users are fucked? Seriously? That's the level of professionalism you base your service on?  Roll Eyes

Much wow, such fail.
Activity: 47
So, I've been getting a few emails from people, and wanted to bring it up here so that everyone knows what is happening.

It looks like BTC-e changed their deposit addresses (not sure why - haven't looked into it), and a handful of users had been mining to the deposit address listed there.  Now that their deposit addresses have been reset however, those coins are now essentially lost.

With a normal address that you own the keys (a personal wallet, on your own computer, or something like blockchain.info - who gives you the keys), you can sign a message from your address.  Which is a way to prove that you own the address.  Unfortunately, when you use an exchange's address, you don't actually own it.  The exchange owns the address (they hold the private keys), and they let you use it on their terms.

In the past (and still), if you end up needing a payout address changed, an email to me with the old address, new address, and a message signed by the old address with text like "Please transfer my earnings from XXX to YYY" is what I would need to prove that you owned the old address, and it is a (reasonably) trivial matter for me to switch the earnings.

The reason for the precautions is just a matter of proof.  While I don't think anyone has tried to "steal" balances from another user, allowing balance transfers just from an email request, with no proof that you owned the original address is just a matter of security.

No, what he is saying is that users who used a 3rd party wallet (pool wallet) cant transfer balances from their old deposit address because there is no way to prove they own the address
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

No, that's what you're saying. Alternatively, you could have tried to read the post you were replying too, but that's hard work. Take a nap and come back.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1237
Merit: 1010

Activity: 854
Merit: 502
Why would anyone mine from an auto converting multipool directly to an exchange? If you're being paid in BTC, then it makes sense to mine to a wallet completely under your control.

For converting it to USD I guess. And the easy way to get a BTC address. Not everyone is aware of blockchain.info wallet or Multibit or other lightweight clients, and the "real" bitcoin wallet is a huge PITA for anyone with a less-than-10-mbps internet connection.

Having said that, for an exchange to discard a BTC address like that is still a shitty move. Unless there was a leak exposing private keys or some other circumstances that I'm missing here.

Agree.. discard a deposit address without a warning is unprofessional. Some people are lazy to check whatever the address still on or not. If they want rotate or house cleaning, they should make a notice.
Activity: 700
Call me paranoid, but I tend to use exchanges like a hit and run. I don't think I've ever left a balance in an exchange for more than a day.
Smart man.  Although a small bit of day-trading funds is okay IMO, I would never mine to an exchange or hold a majority there.
legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
Why would anyone mine from an auto converting multipool directly to an exchange? If you're being paid in BTC, then it makes sense to mine to a wallet completely under your control.

For converting it to USD I guess. And the easy way to get a BTC address. Not everyone is aware of blockchain.info wallet or Multibit or other lightweight clients, and the "real" bitcoin wallet is a huge PITA for anyone with a less-than-10-mbps internet connection.

Having said that, for an exchange to discard a BTC address like that is still a shitty move. Unless there was a leak exposing private keys or some other circumstances that I'm missing here.

Admittedly I'm probably spoiled by a fast Internet connection. I run Bitcoin-Qt and while it keeps me waiting sometimes, I'm largely happy with it. Also I rarely convert BTC to fiat, but maybe that's just me.

There are lots of alternatives, like multi-signature wallets that are lightweight when it comes to bandwidth but still leaves you in control of your funds.

Call me paranoid, but I tend to use exchanges like a hit and run. I don't think I've ever left a balance in an exchange for more than a day.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

Pages:
Jump to: