Pages:
Author

Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures - page 12. (Read 19034 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
February 26, 2014, 09:51:57 PM
I think it's a great idea, paid signatures add nothing to the site and only encourage useless posts.  There are way too many people who post in every topic because it gets their post count up, the posts look useful but overall it really just adds to the noise.

Good luck getting glorious leader to make a change!

The idea that paid signatures add nothing to the site and encourage useless posts isn't true simply because you state that it is true. In fact, it is false on its face.

1) People who have no other way to earn bitcoins may choose that as their best (and only) option to obtain them. As such, they are more likely to remain and contribute to the site. Adds to site.

2) While some people are encouraged to make useless posts, that is easily rectified by a note to the offender or the sponsor. As the sponsor is going to only pay for substantive comments, once again, that encourages people to post substantive comments. Adds to site.

Taking away incentives to stay, contribute meaningfully, and build community, is not a way to better any site. Especially this one where the members are generally interested in bitcoin, and not just slinging websites that exist solely to sling websites that exist solely to sling websites that exist solely to create referrals and downlines.

And actually, it seems that convincing glorious leader to make a change took almost no effort whatsoever.

We state it as true, by observing spam variances since paid advertising's induction to now. It is absolutely conclusive that paid signature advertising has increased spam to an astronomical level. People that do paid signature advertising as the only way to earn Bitcoins, rather than spend 20 hours per day forumlating hundreds of thoughtful posts, spend 30 minutes posting hundreds of times per day, giving the moderation staff hundreds of posts per day to delete and users to ban. If you think the sponsor has time to look through tens if not hundreds of thousands of posts per month to judge if they are spam or not, you would be incorrect. They can say they only pay for substantial posts, but they dont have the staff nor time to read through everyone's posts. I'm glad some sort of change happened, now we will see if that fixes the problem more or less, or if more steps are needed.

It's been debated for months ^^

Correct, the issue was first addressed a bit over 3 months ago to be exact.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
February 26, 2014, 09:49:46 PM
I think it's a great idea, paid signatures add nothing to the site and only encourage useless posts.  There are way too many people who post in every topic because it gets their post count up, the posts look useful but overall it really just adds to the noise.

And actually, it seems that convincing glorious leader to make a change took almost no effort whatsoever.

It's been debated for months ^^
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
February 26, 2014, 09:39:07 PM
I think it's a great idea, paid signatures add nothing to the site and only encourage useless posts.  There are way too many people who post in every topic because it gets their post count up, the posts look useful but overall it really just adds to the noise.

The idea that paid signatures add nothing to the site and encourage useless posts isn't true simply because you state that it is true. In fact, it is false on its face.

1) People who have no other way to earn bitcoins may choose that as their best (and only) option to obtain them. As such, they are more likely to remain and contribute to the site. Adds to site.

2) While some people are encouraged to make useless posts, that is easily rectified by a note to the offender or the sponsor. As the sponsor is going to only pay for substantive comments, once again, that encourages people to post substantive comments. Adds to site.

Taking away incentives to stay, contribute meaningfully, and build community, is not a way to better any site. Especially this one where the members are generally interested in bitcoin, and not just slinging websites that exist solely to sling websites that exist solely to sling websites that exist solely to create referrals and downlines.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
February 26, 2014, 09:18:58 PM
This kinda sucks for the people who spent several hours designing a nice sig, but it's understandable. Some people even paid for sigs.

Why would you pay for a sig? Seriously?
Activity: 479
Merit: 252
You, Me, and BTC: *Your* Liberty & Bitcoin Podcast
February 26, 2014, 09:16:01 PM
This kinda sucks for the people who spent several hours designing a nice sig, but it's understandable. Some people even paid for sigs.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007
February 26, 2014, 09:10:34 PM
I would like to thank Theymos for the change. Hopefully, it will be widely accepted throughout the forums and it will make campaign owners reconsider their offers.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:59:34 PM
I like the change. I'm amazed that the forum gives the option to have different signature categories. That's something that seems so trivial. Can't believe that's actually a standard feature.

It's not, I just wrote that feature. This forum is substantially modified from stock SMF. (A few modifications were written by Satoshi himself!)

Bitcoin was just a stop-gap for Satoshi's real passion - SMF modifications. The Fast & Furious of the forum world.

Not to derail but your comment reminded me that Satoshi even has his own webcomic now (Sort of)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-new-bitcoin-webcomic-satoshisgirlcom-471839

From my childhood in Siberia, to my romance with legendary bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto.

I'm sure some people may enjoy this ^^

To Fast and Furious coding

That's brilliant. I guess that even though most signatures will be much more subtle on the eyes, there will still be many posts out there that are easy goes on the eyes too! Very creative haha.
legendary
February 26, 2014, 08:54:12 PM
I like the change. I'm amazed that the forum gives the option to have different signature categories. That's something that seems so trivial. Can't believe that's actually a standard feature.

It's not, I just wrote that feature. This forum is substantially modified from stock SMF. (A few modifications were written by Satoshi himself!)

Bitcoin was just a stop-gap for Satoshi's real passion - SMF modifications. The Fast & Furious of the forum world.

Not to derail but your comment reminded me that Satoshi even has his own webcomic now (Sort of)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-new-bitcoin-webcomic-satoshisgirlcom-471839

From my childhood in Siberia, to my romance with legendary bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto.

I'm sure some people may enjoy this ^^

To Fast and Furious coding
February 26, 2014, 08:53:07 PM
I srill prefer XenForo to SMF, but XenForo didn't exist when this forum was created so Tongue

Now then, how do you get to hero member? It clearly no longer goes off post count...

I believe that you need an activity of at least 480 for Hero Member status. So that's just under a year away of logging in an posting for you, I think...

That's super unfair. Just because I didn't see the point in visiting for a while because of stupid network limitations etc. Imposed...

I don't like posting if it's pointless either...

Drat. An entire year. *sigh*

(Damned voice input button...!)

Liam

Lol, what I find is by the time that I've realised that it is a new term, I will have already maxed out my activity for that term. It's easy to make meaningful posts, especially if you get into a discussion.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the member status anyway - ultimately we're all here to be a part of the community Smiley

I live for the user titles/ranks/whatever they're called on any forum Wink I don't stop until I hit the high one Tongue
legendary
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:47:28 PM
I srill prefer XenForo to SMF, but XenForo didn't exist when this forum was created so Tongue

Now then, how do you get to hero member? It clearly no longer goes off post count...

I believe that you need an activity of at least 480 for Hero Member status. So that's just under a year away of logging in an posting for you, I think...

That's super unfair. Just because I didn't see the point in visiting for a while because of stupid network limitations etc. Imposed...

Liam

Lol, what I find is by the time that I've realised that it is a new term, I will have already maxed out my activity for that term. It's easy to make meaningful posts, especially if you get into a discussion.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the member status anyway - ultimately we're all here to be a part of the community Smiley
February 26, 2014, 08:44:06 PM

Liam
legendary
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:40:02 PM

February 26, 2014, 08:38:02 PM
Thanks, what activity value are the titles associated with?

Find that info here:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1861412

Yeah, I found it after a super quick browse. I also happened to learn that the newbie restrictions are a thing of the past on the same page...

Things have really changed!
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
February 26, 2014, 08:37:23 PM

cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
February 26, 2014, 08:34:45 PM
Interesting with the style change.  I think only allowing activity based payments are a good suggestion too.
legendary
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:33:49 PM
Report those that you feel are spamming to the necessary authorities on the website, whether that be the moderator of that particular board, the advertisement owner (if they are advertising), or even have a word with the user directly.

Thanks, that was very useful. Just made my first three reports. But does it help? I always thought nobody ever checks those reports anyway, so I never bothered. The whole forum seems completely unmoderated - this is very especially evident when going to the speculation section.

I also don't really like that my eMail address is shown to the moderator that reads the report. Don't get why that is needed.

I think that some boards will be better moderated than others. They do check the reports that users like you and I make, and they act on them. You will see the successfully approved percentage increase/diminish depending on whether the moderator agrees with your report.

It's also good to report bots - I have seen a few recently (I read that somebody else reported them) - it is believed that their activity is being boosted such that they can be sold on to others. They tend to post one word responses, or in some cases they will grab part of a response on a previous page. Bastards!
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037
CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com
February 26, 2014, 08:33:19 PM
I still don't get this. What do i need to change ? I hope Stunna puts exact sig for evry rank .

edit: ah nvm i see its auto changed Cheesy
Activity: 196
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 26, 2014, 08:32:15 PM

Find that info here:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1861412
February 26, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
Hey, you shouldn't just be able to randomly change signature rules without obvious warning first like that!

But, you did. Great. Oh well, can't complain. It'll probably be good in the long run...

Liam

Activity is determined by:

The way activity is calculated:
The activity number is determined in this way:
time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Not saying I have any clue what that means...but that's how.

Thanks. So, count the number of two weeks there's been since I registered, and then count the ones I posted in (there's not many).

Then the activity is the smaller value of the those numbers of weeks multiplied by 14, or your post count...

So, I must have posted for 140/14 2 week periods, so 10 2 week periods... Drat that's low considering I registered in 2012... Feb 2012 at that. I had just turned 14 then. Wow...

legendary
February 26, 2014, 08:30:16 PM
In simple terms it goes up by 14 every 2 weeks until your post count is smaller than activity increases

So it's the *lower* of the two??

Yes if you have 100 posts but have been around a year and are active (During Each two week period) not just the accounts age

14 activity per 2 week period 28 activity in a month
28*12 = 336

Then your activity would be the lower of the two at 100

* Note their are more periods since each month is around 30 to 31 days except February so its a bit off the counter is based on your date of joining and you being active during each two week period the timer is counted on
Pages:
Jump to: