Pages:
Author

Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures - page 13. (Read 19034 times)

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:29:09 PM
Now then, how do you get to hero member? It clearly no longer goes off post count...

I believe that you need an activity of at least 480 for Hero Member status. So that's just under a year away of logging in an posting for you, I think...
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM
I like the change. I'm amazed that the forum gives the option to have different signature categories. That's something that seems so trivial. Can't believe that's actually a standard feature.

Report those that you feel are spamming to the necessary authorities on the website, whether that be the moderator of that particular board, the advertisement owner (if they are advertising), or even have a word with the user directly.

Thanks, that was very useful. Just made my first three reports. But does it help? I always thought nobody ever checks those reports anyway, so I never bothered. The whole forum seems completely unmoderated - this is very especially evident when going to the speculation section.

I also don't really like that my eMail address is shown to the moderator that reads the report. Don't get why that is needed.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 26, 2014, 08:26:54 PM
In simple terms it goes up by 14 every 2 weeks until your post count is smaller than activity increases

So it's the *lower* of the two??
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
February 26, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
Hey, you shouldn't just be able to randomly change signature rules without obvious warning first like that!

But, you did. Great. Oh well, can't complain. It'll probably be good in the long run...

Now then, how do you get to hero member? It clearly no longer goes off post count...

Liam

Activity is determined by:

The way activity is calculated:
The activity number is determined in this way:
time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Not saying I have any clue what that means...but that's how.

In simple terms it goes up by 14 every 2 weeks until your post count is smaller than activity increases
Activity: 196
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 26, 2014, 08:23:15 PM
Hey, you shouldn't just be able to randomly change signature rules without obvious warning first like that!

But, you did. Great. Oh well, can't complain. It'll probably be good in the long run...

Liam

Activity is determined by:

The way activity is calculated:
The activity number is determined in this way:
time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Not saying I have any clue what that means...but that's how.
Activity: 182
February 26, 2014, 08:20:28 PM

Liam
legendary
February 26, 2014, 08:13:00 PM
Ah, interesting changes. Cheesy Not sure if that improves the situation a lot, because I'm usually pretty good at skipping signatures anyway.

But if someone is annoyed because of adverts it won't really be less annoying. People that hate them turn them off. People that are interested in unpaid signatures and are usually reading them will still see/read all the adverts.

The main problem for me are the many spammers that make pointless comments everywhere just to get their post-count up. Don't think that will improve much. It's not only Newbies that spam.

The reason it has my full support is that I see a change in the way advertising will be handled under this model

When the forum switched from showing posts to activity, signature campaigns also switched their programs to be based on activities and posts
In this scenario it is possible that there will be adjusted tiers based on activity, posts and now visibility
Meaning that their is an incentive to reward users differently based on their duration here which may help to reduce spam.

At minimum there will be significantly less users complaining about bright signature ads because newer users will have less visible ads than older ones, and increase overall readability of the forum, it also will likely increase quality of posts as those big ads become more visible they will have had more experience here and reduce low quality posts as Theymos pointed out.
Furthermore its not like the signature providers don't also filter try to filter out users who spam with their ad so it helps in that regard as well.

In theory we may see some model changes as advertisers adjust their models due to the new visibility change.
Something like this one for example
Junior- Sorry you do not qualify  
Members will receive .0065 BTC/week
Full members will receive .0070 BTC/week
Senior members will receive .0090 BTC/week
Hero members will receive .03 BTC/week

Or to bring back tradefortresses model something based on activity post count and visibility (not just including present posts but the historical ones accumulated over time) and higher tiers not being allowed to get the higher return until their activity reaches a certain point
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-oldest-sig-ad-campaign-get-03-btcmonth-for-free-no-need-to-keep-posting-198934
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
February 26, 2014, 08:11:43 PM
The main problem for me are the many spammers that make pointless comments everywhere just to get their post-count up. Don't think that will improve much. It's not only Newbies that spam.

Report those that you feel are spamming to the necessary authorities on the website, whether that be the moderator of that particular board, the advertisement owner (if they are advertising), or even have a word with the user directly.

That's the beauty of the community, we can all help out.

One thing is for sure though, the community should judge all users equally and not simply scrutinise those who have paid advertisement signatures. The spam artists are those that blatantly take the piss, whether that is manifested in bot form, or consistently chatting absolute garbage.

Yeh this is good advice. A friendly warning will often put them on the right track, but if it doesnt just report them to mods or the signature provider and they can take appropriate action.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
February 26, 2014, 08:02:03 PM

That's the beauty of the community, we can all help out.

One thing is for sure though, the community should judge all users equally and not simply scrutinise those who have paid advertisement signatures. The spam artists are those that blatantly take the piss, whether that is manifested in bot form, or consistently chatting absolute garbage.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
February 26, 2014, 07:49:33 PM
This is done, except that Newbies can use 50 characters and Jr. Members can use 150 characters. The style limitations are applied immediately, but the size limitations only apply when a signature is updated. Tell me if there are problems.

Thanks! I believe this will increase readability.
legendary
February 26, 2014, 07:49:02 PM

Report them to the mods or the signature providers. Stunna wont pay people who spam and most if not all the others wont aswell.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
February 26, 2014, 07:48:13 PM
Perhaps the allowed signature styling should change with activity score / membergroup. Like:
- Newbie: No styling (including links) allowed. Max 40 characters.
- Jr. Member: Links allowed. Max 100 characters.
- Member: Unlimited length.
- Full: Color allowed.
- Sr. Member: Size allowed
- Hero: Background color allowed

This is done, except that Newbies can use 50 characters and Jr. Members can use 150 characters. The style limitations are applied immediately, but the size limitations only apply when a signature is updated. Tell me if there are problems.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 26, 2014, 07:35:29 PM
Ah, interesting changes. Cheesy Not sure if that improves the situation a lot, because I'm usually pretty good at skipping signatures anyway.

But if someone is annoyed because of adverts it won't really be less annoying. People that hate them turn them off. People that are interested in unpaid signatures and are usually reading them will still see/read all the adverts.

legendary
February 26, 2014, 07:25:13 PM
Perhaps the allowed signature styling should change with activity score / membergroup. Like:

Then newbies will be less effective advertisers, which would hopefully significantly reduce the incentive for low-content posts. And when people become capable of effectively advertising through their signatures, they'll have invested a lot of time into their accounts, and they won't risk being banned by spamming.

A progressive ad system has my full support
Just my 2 bits

Hmm, it could work. I'll have to see what the final outcome is. Was this planned or a spur of the moment thing? The sigs are  really tiny at the moment for me.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010
ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀
February 26, 2014, 07:23:00 PM
Lots of posters would not be paid now.  Shocked
legendary
February 26, 2014, 07:20:42 PM

Then newbies will be less effective advertisers, which would hopefully significantly reduce the incentive for low-content posts. And when people become capable of effectively advertising through their signatures, they'll have invested a lot of time into their accounts, and they won't risk being banned by spamming.

A progressive ad system has my full support
Just my 2 bits
legendary
February 26, 2014, 07:19:40 PM
is this why link is not working in newbies account signature.

It appears so. Are these chnages effective immediately?
Activity: 1792
Merit: 507
February 26, 2014, 07:17:56 PM
is this why link is not working in newbies account signature.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
February 26, 2014, 07:14:38 PM

OMG!  Please!!!!

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
February 26, 2014, 07:13:19 PM
Yes. Something happened with the format of the signatures... No more colors I suppose Sad
Pages:
Jump to: