Pages:
Author

Topic: Proposal: Disallow Ads in Signatures - page 16. (Read 19034 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
February 25, 2014, 02:15:25 PM
It's increasing the amount of registerations and the amount of people posting and keeping this forum active also I'm hoping to get 10 Bitcoin to donate to the forum  Cheesy

I would argue that it's killing the forum...  Increasing registrations and people posting isn't always a good thing, it's quite hard to find useful information here now.  The only reason I come to the forum is to moderate really, I hardly spend any time at all browsing because it is way too hard to find anything of importance.

Also, why do you want to donate to the forum?  More money is definitely not needed, you should look how current funds have been handled, and it'll take a long time (if even possible) to earn 10 BTC from paid signature advertising.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
February 25, 2014, 02:07:51 PM
It's increasing the amount of registerations and the amount of people posting and keeping this forum active also I'm hoping to get 10 Bitcoin to donate to the forum  Cheesy
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
February 25, 2014, 02:02:29 PM
I agree it's getting rather annoying, even if they aren't banned all together it's very easy to put limitations on signatures I think that signatures shouldn't be bright colors or anything above 14pt. Obviously, this is my opinion but, I think they are good limitations which would keep the advertisers happy and the business which is using people to advertise. Though, I hope they do get banned from advertising.

I have participated in a ad campaign a few times, however I had to reconsider advertising for a business which promotes spam and useless posts, especially with one of the businesses offering double the amount of posts for double the money now. I think something needs to be done otherwise, we are going to continue to see increase of spam.  I have added my first person to my ignore list  and I think he'll be on a lot of peoples ignore list as he is probably the most famous spammer on the forum right now. Most of his posts are useless and have repeated what someone has already said and he continues to do so every day. I always see his username posted in one section where he has replied to 5 or more topics where he didn't need to contribute to but, felt the need to earn a little extra. There was discussion a few months ago that his type of spam is acceptable and the staff members talked and said that it is only just acceptable.  

I'm going to be adding a few more people to the ignore list too soon which I hate doing too much because I can't read half the topics because no doubt that the people I ignore nearly post in every single topic there is on this forum.

I think it's a great idea, paid signatures add nothing to the site and only encourage useless posts.  There are way too many people who post in every topic because it gets their post count up, the posts look useful but overall it really just adds to the noise.

Good luck getting glorious leader to make a change!

Grin

Edit: Maybe, I should inform people running the campaigns like Stunna about the people who are spamming useless posts or generally annoying replies and maybe he will remove them from the campaign.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
February 25, 2014, 12:43:08 PM
I think it's a great idea, paid signatures add nothing to the site and only encourage useless posts.  There are way too many people who post in every topic because it gets their post count up, the posts look useful but overall it really just adds to the noise.

Good luck getting glorious leader to make a change!
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
February 25, 2014, 06:04:37 AM
I think quite the opposite, I think this is helping this site, especially when you are required to write high quality posts and not just garbage. It's not same for all. Some just write +1 or ok or few words, but there will be people like that even if there are no ads in signatures or not.
Activity: 259
Merit: 250
February 25, 2014, 01:54:21 AM
@b!z: Good pickup, haven't laughed so hard in a while. Now that I think about it, I sense rather than actually wanting to advertise, OP is simply mocking the idea of selling his sig space rather than actually doing it.

Yep, no one has taken the offer of $5000/day yet.

No one would take that offer. Ads Signatures did contribute to the forum in some way. Many members want their business to got known and other members who don't have bitcoin that no other means to obtain them has a chance now to earn a little bitcoin for their work. It bring new adopters to bitcoin. Not all posts is spam don't generalize.
t3a
Activity: 179
Merit: 100
February 24, 2014, 10:08:12 PM
@b!z: Good pickup, haven't laughed so hard in a while. Now that I think about it, I sense rather than actually wanting to advertise, OP is simply mocking the idea of selling his sig space rather than actually doing it.

Yep, no one has taken the offer of $5000/day yet.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
February 24, 2014, 04:54:46 AM
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
February 24, 2014, 04:50:45 AM
t3a
Activity: 179
Merit: 100
February 24, 2014, 03:10:01 AM
It seems that a good number of posts here have ads in their signature. While it is annoying to be bombarded with ads, I don't see being advertised to as a problem in itself.

The problem is that these advertisers pay users per post usually, so users will try to get in as many posts as they can. This leads to low quality, short, and often meaningless posts.

There are many examples of users polluting this forum, one user consistent enough for me to have ignored is Bitpop https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/bitpop-14283

Users normally wouldn't be allowed to include ads in their posts, and most other forums disallow ads in signatures. Overall, this change would have a positive effect on this community by filtering out poorly thought out, short posts that are 20% content and 80% ad.
Pages:
Jump to: