Pages:
Author

Topic: Protecting Your Computer? - page 3. (Read 1482 times)

copper member
Activity: 363
Merit: 9
July 05, 2019, 05:30:20 PM
If you wanted to protect your computer, you may follow the basic rules below:

1. Use a firewall.
2. Install antivirus software.
3. Install an anti-spyware package.
4. Use complex passwords.
5. Keep your OS, apps and browser up to date.
6. Ignore spam.
7. Back up your computer.
8. Shut it down.
9. Use virtualization.
10. Secure your network.
11. Use two-factor authentication.
12. Use encryption

And you should aware the 10 most common cyber attack types:

1. Denial-of-service (DoS) and distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks
2. Man-in-the-middle (MitM) attack
3. Phishing and spear phishing attacks
4. Drive-by attack
5. Password attack
6. SQL injection attack
7. Cross-site scripting (XSS) attack
8. Eavesdropping attack
9. Birthday attack
10. Malware attack

https://blog.netwrix.com/2018/05/15/top-10-most-common-types-of-cyber-attacks/

If you are concerned about your password for wallet, keep it somewhere else, store it like paper wallet.
When we say "Back up your computer" does it mean that we need to have a spare computer?

I format my PC every six months so that it would be clear of unwanted malware that may infiltrate my PC, is this advisable? Not an IT guy here.
Activity: 504
Merit: 19
July 05, 2019, 05:27:05 PM
Nonsense, your attention will be your main defense !! You do not need to download any antiviruses and other things, if you suddenly need someone, they will not save you, and in the case of the usual surfing the Internet, you are required to be careful and attentive, you just need to install the extension from the advertisement for the browser, and otherwise you do something extra in most cases.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 505
Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
July 05, 2019, 05:26:31 PM
There is not password software on PC that can not be hacked as far as hacking goes ,this is why I don't use PC to keep crypto coins ,if you want to use PC don't share your computer will friends and stay away from phishing or suspicious links
I am doing exactly how you said. I always carry my computer with me and only I have access to it. this is an important part of keeping your data in safe
Activity: 966
Merit: 535
July 05, 2019, 05:19:41 PM

1. Use a firewall.
6. Ignore spam.
8. Shut it down.
9. Use virtualization.
10. Secure your network.
12. Use encryption

4. Drive-by attack
5. Password attack
6. SQL injection attack
8. Eavesdropping attack
9. Birthday attack
10. Malware attack

If you are concerned about your password for wallet, keep it somewhere else, store it like paper wallet.
From what was suggested above, everything is indeed very important. And I will do it from now on, because it's very important to protect devices that we use dangerous attacks. Thank you for very important suggestions for the future. Everyone must know this.

I do all that was listed in the first list. I shut down my pc every now and then to clear the cache. You need to eventually do it anyway. It also will restart during updates.
Most things stay up to date by themselves as well. They just need the pc to restart. I also protect my gaming accounts and other accounts to forums and such things. F2A is a must.

I haven't heard of some of those cyber attack types before. Interesting names. I think I will look them up.  Grin

Are one of those attack methods physical? Since someone can plug a usb in your pc or something?
Activity: 490
Merit: 10
July 05, 2019, 03:32:10 PM
There is not password software on PC that can not be hacked as far as hacking goes ,this is why I don't use PC to keep crypto coins ,if you want to use PC don't share your computer will friends and stay away from phishing or suspicious links
Activity: 742
Merit: 12
July 05, 2019, 03:03:41 PM
I use Kaspersky internet security to protect my pc and connection from virus and other threats. I'm not sure if it's fully secure, but I never found anything unusual while I use this tool in all of my device. The only downside is, I sometimes experience slow performance due to live scanning or bug.
Activity: 719
Merit: 250
July 05, 2019, 02:47:45 PM
It's simple. Do not store private keys, important passwords on a computer that has access to the network. Yes, maybe this is inconvenient. But it is extremely safe.

You just do not go to phishing sites, as 90% of the stolen keys users provide themselves. To store on a separate computer all data of course well, but not everyone can afford to have 2 computer.
I think that basically these are simple errors in keeping data or presenting it to others. I think it makes no sense to hack the computer users around the world.
Activity: 476
Merit: 101
July 05, 2019, 05:48:07 AM

1. Use a firewall.
6. Ignore spam.
8. Shut it down.
9. Use virtualization.
10. Secure your network.
12. Use encryption

4. Drive-by attack
5. Password attack
6. SQL injection attack
8. Eavesdropping attack
9. Birthday attack
10. Malware attack

Activity: 784
Merit: 256
Binance #Smart World Global Token
July 05, 2019, 05:42:28 AM
It's simple. Do not store private keys, important passwords on a computer that has access to the network. Yes, maybe this is inconvenient. But it is extremely safe.

You just do not go to phishing sites, as 90% of the stolen keys users provide themselves. To store on a separate computer all data of course well, but not everyone can afford to have 2 computer.
Activity: 798
Merit: 103
July 05, 2019, 05:30:44 AM
It is better to not store your password on your computer. Yes, it can make it faster to find your password on your computer. But it also make it faster for a hacker to get the password.
Just be careful not to install anything suspicious and don't install crack or anything which can contain trojan horses. Becareful to not go on the wrong website and don't participate in giveaway of ETH.
Activity: 476
July 05, 2019, 05:20:47 AM
Antivirus protection of the computer is of course necessary even if you do not work with cryptocurrencies. It does not always help and your computer can catch the virus. You yourself do not need to go to suspicious sites.
Activity: 515
Merit: 12
July 04, 2019, 11:21:58 PM
I use an antivirus pack with antivirus and internet security and also i don't store my important data on the online pc, i have it saved in a offline device.
Activity: 910
Merit: 251
July 04, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Besides making sure not to download the wrong programs that can be fake programs like fake wallets and not clicking on links, what other important things should you do to protect your computer?  Yes i know you should not put crypto in it but even those who have hardware wallets, some coins cannot be put in the hardware wallet and you need to put it on its own wallet you install or in an exchange. 

First off, does everyone here put a password on their computer?  I read the windows password is completely useless.  But does anyone here use veracrypt or a program where you must enter a password on your computer before you can log in?  Because i read cases where a hacker if they have access to your laptop can put a virus, trojan, keylogger in your computer... then shut down your computer and if you never knew someone accessed your computer, well anything you type on it can be visible to the hacker.  Of course this requires someone smart to have physical access to your laptop.  Thus if they take your laptop, well even if they put a trojan on it, well as long as you don't type your stuff on it, thats fine.

Can someone tell me what program they use to password protect their laptop?  I do not do this as i heard this process is not that simple.  I heard there is either veracrypt or bitlocker.  Are those the only 2 options or best 2 options?  If so, which do you choose and with it, does that mean a thief with access to your laptop cannot get into your laptop and store anything in it like trojan unless they have the password?  Because say someone installed a trojan in your laptop while you are not there for a bit... let say its just a friend who did it b/c they know you have crypto... that is dangerous.  Any advice here? 

As long as you're not clicking any suspicious link or phishing site your computer is safe. Just don't click or open the site like http:// or more.
but honestly, I bought kaspersky to protect my computer good for 2 years and so far so good actually. Just always be careful on clicking the the site that are too suspicious, bear that in your mind.
Activity: 1750
Merit: 186
July 04, 2019, 10:50:32 PM
What other things ppl need to be careful of? 

What if you use someones powerbank to charge your phone or tablet?  Is that safe or not?  Assuming you connect to the usb port on it?

What if its a power bank that could charge a laptop?  Thus it either connects to your laptops ac adapter spot which is a hole... or say it was usb-c.  I assume the first situation with the ac adapter to the laptop is still possible but very hard?  But if it was connected via usb-c ... its much easier?
Activity: 770
Merit: 106
June 03, 2019, 06:23:24 AM
As long as you keep your coins in a different computer other than the PC you use for your daily stuff, you will be fine.

Having Adblock, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes is cool. If you don't download too many pirated software, that's even better. Being cautious will keep you safe %99 of the time. If you just keep your important stuff on somewhere else, you'll be safe all the time. (at least against the hackers, viruses etc... Your hardware still can get broken.)

It's quite different in my point I guess? Having more access to more computer will going to put you into risk rather than to just use one computer or cellphone that will going to be better if you set it as its main function, just to keep your cryptocurrency in a safe location. Since, we are prone to hacks in our personal computer.
it is absolutely true, do not go to different links, do not climb different sites, ideally for working with cryptocurrencies it is better to have a separate computer, and do not work on it on the Internet at all, except for working with purses.
Activity: 1026
Merit: 110
Need Bounty manager ? Contact @repear71
May 13, 2019, 08:28:08 AM
I implemented several security systems for my computer. I implemented a dual security system by displaying a confirmation of every important step done by my computer. Besides that, I only use this computer personally. Besides I can't be anyone else who uses my computer so that all the control on my computer is in my hands. I don't apply passwords on my computer but I keep confidential information on my computer in a very confidential manner. In my opinion, passwords in Windows are less useful because they are very likely to be hacked. Hacked windows passwords is very easy. Yeah, indeed an effective way is to use this computer personally.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
May 13, 2019, 08:23:13 AM
Assuming the PC is is easily compromised.... I invest in latest antivirus program beside buying nano s to store my coin and keep myself updated with latest news
Activity: 966
Merit: 274
May 13, 2019, 08:15:14 AM
As long as you keep your coins in a different computer other than the PC you use for your daily stuff, you will be fine.

Having Adblock, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes is cool. If you don't download too many pirated software, that's even better. Being cautious will keep you safe %99 of the time. If you just keep your important stuff on somewhere else, you'll be safe all the time. (at least against the hackers, viruses etc... Your hardware still can get broken.)

It's quite different in my point I guess? Having more access to more computer will going to put you into risk rather than to just use one computer or cellphone that will going to be better if you set it as its main function, just to keep your cryptocurrency in a safe location. Since, we are prone to hacks in our personal computer.
Activity: 644
COVIR.IO
May 13, 2019, 08:05:41 AM
Spywares,malwares,Trojans ,these are the worst enemies of windows pc ,it will be better to keep your coins and tokens on hardware wallets or even mobile wallets with private keys ,on windows pc I don't know how effective antivirus software is and PCs are easily hacked by spyware's this days,I stay off pc I'm better off using mobile

Indeed, hard wallet is good option to secure our assets. But if we want protect our computer, we can start from not visiting on suspicous link on our email because right now many link sent to our email. To avoid from wrong web or phising site, better check on web certificate and security.
Activity: 1134
Merit: 502
May 13, 2019, 07:48:58 AM
My advice is:
Dedicating computer or laptop (not mobile devices), that only be used of only limited purposes:
- Using your bitcointalk account.
- Trading on well known exchanges.
- Downloading, installing wallets from well known coins from official websites.
- Preparing Internet Security softwares (still have active license key).
That's all you need to protect your computers.
Great advice but if you want to be fully secured, don't use internet at all. This is serious, I am planning to have a laptop at least the cheapest one just to store my coins and never to connect it into any internet connection. Its a must to be wise, we have more reason to protect our wallet so the hackers will never see any chance on touching our precious coins. My advice is to back up everything and use all the security features of the wallet.

This is what i am doing.

I have an old laptop and i did a reformat.

Now only application it has is my wallet.

Bookmarked all online web wallet also.

I havent experience hack, phishing or malware virus attack since i did that.
Pages:
Jump to: