Author

Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers. - page 104. (Read 636443 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
I know all the humans are going to die. My hope is that some bacteria live. We are all just expressions of DNA, so who cares if humans survive? There is only one living creature on Earth and if part of it lives then it will bounce back in just a few million years.
It's all good.  Wink
The climate changed this morning.  I saw it myself, don't need no scientists.  I know it's our fault and I should pay carbon taxes, but it may be too late.

This really bright hot round thing started to rise up from the horizon.  At the same time the land started getting hotter.  And I calculate that it's really going to get really hot.  Then there will be heat waves and droughts and hurricanes and storms and flooding and ice and no ice and scary bad stuff like drowned puppies.

“Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!”

Okay, so I've studied this curious bright hot round thing some more.  You're not going to believe this, but here it is.  Every day this thing arcs up in the sky from east to west.  I've checked.  It does not take days off, but for about half of every day it disappears.  It gets much hotter when it can be seen.  It's going higher and higher in that arc each day.  And some quick calcs show that means it's going to get hotter and hotter.  So don't let any one tell you this stuff is garbage.  Don't listen to those stupid Deniers.  The Big Round Hot Thing is going to get hotter and hotter.    So the ice caps will melt and you won't have any snowballs and Eskimos will have to get skinny to look right in binkinis.

There must be a way to control that round thing... But how?

"And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." -- Joshua 10:13

Looks like the good book says it's possible.

Too bad the believers won't touch that book. We are the deniers, remember...

Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
I know all the humans are going to die. My hope is that some bacteria live. We are all just expressions of DNA, so who cares if humans survive? There is only one living creature on Earth and if part of it lives then it will bounce back in just a few million years.
It's all good.  Wink
The climate changed this morning.  I saw it myself, don't need no scientists.  I know it's our fault and I should pay carbon taxes, but it may be too late.

This really bright hot round thing started to rise up from the horizon.  At the same time the land started getting hotter.  And I calculate that it's really going to get really hot.  Then there will be heat waves and droughts and hurricanes and storms and flooding and ice and no ice and scary bad stuff like drowned puppies.

Okay, so I've studied this curious bright hot round thing some more.  You're not going to believe this, but here it is.  Every day this thing arcs up in the sky from east to west.  I've checked.  It does not take days off, but for about half of every day it disappears.  It gets much hotter when it can be seen.  It's going higher and higher in that arc each day.  And some quick calcs show that means it's going to get hotter and hotter.  So don't let any one tell you this stuff is garbage.  Don't listen to those stupid Deniers.  The Big Round Hot Thing is going to get hotter and hotter.    So the ice caps will melt and you won't have any snowballs and Eskimos will have to get skinny to look right in binkinis.

"And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." -- Joshua 10:13

Looks like the good book says it's possible.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
It's all good.  Wink

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
It's all good.  Wink

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

.....The authors included this chilling warning: If emissions aren’t cut, “We conclude that multi-meter sea-level rise would become practically unavoidable. Social disruption and economic consequences of such large sea-level rise could be devastating. It is not difficult to imagine that conflicts arising from forced migrations and economic collapse might make the planet ungovernable, threatening the fabric of civilization.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-point-of-no-return-climate-change-nightmares-are-already-here-20150805

You mean, like, we can cut our carbon use and not have to worry about illegals swarming in?

They are swarming in... BECAUSE of Global Warming. That, is too late already.

You see, if you through away your air conditioner, RIGHT NOW (but you have to do it now, time is running out! Call now!) you'll bring multi-meter sea-level down to multi-foot sea-level err... level.

Yuge difference! Yuge!

legendary

.....The authors included this chilling warning: If emissions aren’t cut, “We conclude that multi-meter sea-level rise would become practically unavoidable. Social disruption and economic consequences of such large sea-level rise could be devastating. It is not difficult to imagine that conflicts arising from forced migrations and economic collapse might make the planet ungovernable, threatening the fabric of civilization.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-point-of-no-return-climate-change-nightmares-are-already-here-20150805

You mean, like, we can cut our carbon use and not have to worry about illegals swarming in?
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here

Historians may look to 2015 as the year when shit really started hitting the fan. Some snapshots: In just the past few months, record-setting heat waves in Pakistan and India each killed more than 1,000 people. In Washington state’s Olympic National Park, the rainforest caught fire for the first time in living memory. London reached 98 degrees Fahrenheit during the hottest July day ever recorded in the U.K.; The Guardian briefly had to pause its live blog of the heat wave because its computer servers overheated. In California, suffering from its worst drought in a millennium, a 50-acre brush fire swelled seventyfold in a matter of hours, jumping across the I-15 freeway during rush-hour traffic. Then, a few days later, the region was pounded by intense, virtually unheard-of summer rains. Puerto Rico is under its strictest water rationing in history as a monster El Niño forms in the tropical Pacific Ocean, shifting weather patterns worldwide.

On July 20th, James Hansen, the former NASA climatologist who brought climate change to the public’s attention in the summer of 1988, issued a bombshell: He and a team of climate scientists had identified a newly important feedback mechanism off the coast of Antarctica that suggests mean sea levels could rise 10 times faster than previously predicted: 10 feet by 2065. The authors included this chilling warning: If emissions aren’t cut, “We conclude that multi-meter sea-level rise would become practically unavoidable. Social disruption and economic consequences of such large sea-level rise could be devastating. It is not difficult to imagine that conflicts arising from forced migrations and economic collapse might make the planet ungovernable, threatening the fabric of civilization.”

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
It's all good.  Wink

legendary
It's all good.  Wink

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Hi All.

Over the last few days I became aware of the 'Technocracy' movement which, if I'd heard of it before, went in one ear and out the other.  Once in a while something which fits a lot of pieces of a puzzle together quite well comes along and it is exhilarating for want of a better term.  This is one of these times.  In my various research I've not been able to put together certain aspects of economy, politics, technology, etc very convincingly though my own thesis about corporatism and fascism came relatively close to the new (to me) information.

I do suggest that those interested in 'carbon' take the time to familiarize themselves with the Technocracy movement which dates back to the 1930's in a fairly tangible way and, at the time, included M. King Hubberd of 'peak oil' fame.  Here's a tantalizing bit of their doctrine:

Code:
1. Register on a continuing basis the 24 hour-per-day basis of the total net conversion of energy.

2. By means of registration of energy converted and consumed, make possible a “balanced load”.

3. Provide a continuous inventory of all production and consumption. [Scott, Howard, et al, Technocracy Study Course, p. 232]Think: datamining.[

One Patrick Wood has done a lot of work on the Trilateral Commission for decades and gives a run-down of the nature and relationship between this and Technocracy with some convincing documentation of the tie-in (and good info on both subjects) here.  It's a good intro for anyone who is interested, and I suggest that it is highly valuable in understanding the global climate change issues of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWrceNajf4

In looking around for more info, I see that one of my perennial favorites, James Corbett, at least claims to have done some work along these lines over the years, and I found an Alan Watt who pointed them out some years ago in general association with the 'new world order'.

There exist a website for Technocracy, Inc which was the formal organization set up in the 1930's and operating at Columbia.  My feeling is that the material presented there is designed to paint a picture of a bunch of long-ago failed losers and incompetent Utopians, and I would be suspicious that this is the goal of the presentations on-line.

My own rejection of whatever we are moving toward currently (which I've identified as corporatism with collectivist marketing) can only end in totalitarianism which I personally fear like the plague...or even worse than the plague to be accurate.  Here is a rather well made post war vid from the Technocracy movement.  I find it fascinating historically.  One can imagine the movements expression at the time being a turn-off to Americans who had just suffered significant losses (and gains which were less obvious to the bullet-stopper classes) due to the fascist movements in Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDX9dyjqimA

The youtube video of the old film is rather amazing.  Some of those trends of thought were clearly incorporated into modern totalitarian/fascist/progressive liberal ideas, or as I call it Perverted Authoritarian Liberal Control Freaks (Freakism, in this context).

"Old is new. New is old."

legendary

Hi All.

Over the last few days I became aware of the 'Technocracy' movement which, if I'd heard of it before, went in one ear and out the other.  Once in a while something which fits a lot of pieces of a puzzle together quite well comes along and it is exhilarating for want of a better term.  This is one of these times.  In my various research I've not been able to put together certain aspects of economy, politics, technology, etc very convincingly though my own thesis about corporatism and fascism came relatively close to the new (to me) information.

I do suggest that those interested in 'carbon' take the time to familiarize themselves with the Technocracy movement which dates back to the 1930's in a fairly tangible way and, at the time, included M. King Hubberd of 'peak oil' fame.  Here's a tantalizing bit of their doctrine:

Code:
1. Register on a continuing basis the 24 hour-per-day basis of the total net conversion of energy.

2. By means of registration of energy converted and consumed, make possible a “balanced load”.

3. Provide a continuous inventory of all production and consumption. [Scott, Howard, et al, Technocracy Study Course, p. 232]Think: datamining.[

One Patrick Wood has done a lot of work on the Trilateral Commission for decades and gives a run-down of the nature and relationship between this and Technocracy with some convincing documentation of the tie-in (and good info on both subjects) here.  It's a good intro for anyone who is interested, and I suggest that it is highly valuable in understanding the global climate change issues of today.

In looking around for more info, I see that one of my perennial favorites, James Corbett, at least claims to have done some work along these lines over the years, and I found an Alan Watt who pointed them out some years ago in general association with the 'new world order'.

There exist a website for Technocracy, Inc which was the formal organization set up in the 1930's and operating at Columbia.  My feeling is that the material presented there is designed to paint a picture of a bunch of long-ago failed losers and incompetent Utopians, and I would be suspicious that this is the goal of the presentations on-line.

My own rejection of whatever we are moving toward currently (which I've identified as corporatism with collectivist marketing) can only end in totalitarianism which I personally fear like the plague...or even worse than the plague to be accurate.  Here is a rather well made post war vid from the Technocracy movement.  I find it fascinating historically.  One can imagine the movements expression at the time being a turn-off to Americans who had just suffered significant losses (and gains which were less obvious to the bullet-stopper classes) due to the fascist movements in Europe.

The youtube video of the old film is rather amazing.  Some of those trends of thought were clearly incorporated into modern totalitarian/fascist/progressive liberal ideas, or as I call it Perverted Authoritarian Liberal Control Freaks (Freakism, in this context).

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

“Our Climate Is Changing 10,000 Times Faster Than Ever In History”…

“Climate change is happening, humans are causing it, and I think this is perhaps the most serious environmental issue facing us.” — Bill Nye The Science Guy

This issue is going to be one of the major storylines of our film, as we follow Bill on his journey to educate, debate and engage about climate change.

Today, we’re excited to premiere a new video of Bill Nye as he makes the case that climate change is undeniable, and that we need to take action.

https://www.facebook.com/billnyefilm/videos/1479584119019387/?fref=nf

-----------------------------------------
SOLD! For 10,000!!!!!!!

"97 going 98% of the world's scientists.."

Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

Hi All.

Over the last few days I became aware of the 'Technocracy' movement which, if I'd heard of it before, went in one ear and out the other.  Once in a while something which fits a lot of pieces of a puzzle together quite well comes along and it is exhilarating for want of a better term.  This is one of these times.  In my various research I've not been able to put together certain aspects of economy, politics, technology, etc very convincingly though my own thesis about corporatism and fascism came relatively close to the new (to me) information.

I do suggest that those interested in 'carbon' take the time to familiarize themselves with the Technocracy movement which dates back to the 1930's in a fairly tangible way and, at the time, included M. King Hubberd of 'peak oil' fame.  Here's a tantalizing bit of their doctrine:

Code:

One Patrick Wood has done a lot of work on the Trilateral Commission for decades and gives a run-down of the nature and relationship between this and Technocracy with some convincing documentation of the tie-in (and good info on both subjects) here.  It's a good intro for anyone who is interested, and I suggest that it is highly valuable in understanding the global climate change issues of today.

There exist a website for Technocracy, Inc which was the formal organization set up in the 1930's and operating at Columbia.  My feeling is that the material presented there is designed to paint a picture of a bunch of long-ago failed losers and incompetent Utopians, and I would be suspicious that this is the goal of the presentations on-line.

My own rejection of whatever we are moving toward currently (which I've identified as corporatism with collectivist marketing) can only end in totalitarianism which I personally fear like the plague...or even worse than the plague to be accurate.  Here is a rather well made post war vid from the Technocracy movement.  I find it fascinating historically.  One can imagine the movements expression at the time being a turn-off to Americans who had just suffered significant losses (and gains which were less obvious to the bullet-stopper classes) due to the fascist movements in Europe.

just watched Ex Machina, its gonna be a robocracy Tongue

(but still totalitarian)
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

Hi All.

Code:

legendary
It's all good.  Wink

I thought we were all planning past the Sun's supernova?  NO?  Well are we all planning past the next keystroke?  NO?  Hey, it's all good...  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
It's all good.  Wink
legendary
So... I'm just going to chime in regarding the OP's posts and not about all the other debates going on here.

Basically, r/science is a private board with specific rules that aim at producing peer-reviewed scientific research. This means they should let anyone post who has something like that, regardless of the study's conclusions. This also means that any comments should be regarding the specific study or should be providing referenced citations of adding anything not included in the study.

So, should global warming bashers be banned? Yes, if all they do is spout non-referenced non-scientific non-peer-reviewed research or do not present solid logical arguments to discuss the contents of the study. This should be the case for proponents of global warming as well.

It's r/science. It's not about opinion. It's about science. That's it.

Your religious belief is 'warmly' welcomed here... No ban for you. How refreshing? I know right.

Grin

Might be the reason your dreaded thread does not suffer from the misery of the Reddit Global Warming thread.  Let's see...we'll just check with the Reddit Overlord of Banning Deniers (Fungus_Schmungus[M]) and see what he says about why he must post, himself -

Had I not posted, the thread would be empty (like most of the threads from the past month)

Why our threads not empty?
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
So... I'm just going to chime in regarding the OP's posts and not about all the other debates going on here.

Basically, r/science is a private board with specific rules that aim at producing peer-reviewed scientific research. This means they should let anyone post who has something like that, regardless of the study's conclusions. This also means that any comments should be regarding the specific study or should be providing referenced citations of adding anything not included in the study.

So, should global warming bashers be banned? Yes, if all they do is spout non-referenced non-scientific non-peer-reviewed research or do not present solid logical arguments to discuss the contents of the study. This should be the case for proponents of global warming as well.

It's r/science. It's not about opinion. It's about science. That's it.

Your religious belief is 'warmly' welcomed here... No ban for you. How refreshing? I know right.

Grin

legendary
Another gem from Reddit refuting your statements.

AN ARTICLE FROM BLOOMBERG.  Last I heard, that wasn't peer reviewed science.  The article is feel good fancy graphics.  They are not even referenced.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

Following is the ENTIRE 7 comments, in which the MOD admits to dominating the discussion - further - he admits just about nobody reads this crap.  And it's not scientific, not peer reviewed.  Let's ban the Moderator.

This thread is far more popular than the biased, ban-heavy, dogmatic, political junk science of reddit's Global Warming thread.   Likely because it's far less biased, does not ban, is not dogmatic, and allows all versions of real as well as political and junk science.  They do tend to sort themselves out.

Cheers.

all 7 comments
sorted by: best

[–]Fungus_Schmungus[M] 1 point 1 month ago

Those graphics are very, very well done. Thanks for the submission. It really helps boil an extremely complicated subject (radiative forcing ensemble) down into an accessible and intuitive visual.

[–]V2Blast 1 point 1 month ago

...Is there a reason you distinguished this comment?

permalinkparent

[–]Fungus_Schmungus 0 points 1 month ago

Because I was referring to the submission in an official capacity. Is that a problem?

permalinkparent

[–]V2Blast 1 point 1 month ago

It didn't really seem like you were speaking about anything moderation- or rules-related. Too many mods in too many subreddits just distinguish unrelated posts to give their own submissions/comments more visibility among all the other posts (not saying that's what you're doing).

permalinkparent

[–]Fungus_Schmungus 1 point 1 month ago

I'm speaking as the moderator of a sub that has less than 500 subscribers and that is very inactive in terms of comments. Had I not posted, the thread would be empty (like most of the threads from the past month) so I clearly don't gain anything in terms of competition. As a mod, I appreciated the valuable content, and I wanted to ensure that the user was aware that this was the case. In places as quiet as /r/GlobalWarming, I also think it helps that the mods show they're still around every once in a while. The rest of the moderation team has been inactive for weeks/months, so there's not much activity on that end either.

permalinkparent

[–]Izakor 0 points 1 month ago

The next time I talk to someone who says Climate change is fake I'll tell him to look this up.

legendary
So... I'm just going to chime in regarding the OP's posts and not about all the other debates going on here.....It's r/science. It's not about opinion. It's about science. That's it.

Just for fun let's look at one of the Reddit posts that's "not about opinion.  It's about science."

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalWarming/comments/3bd1v4/can_we_use_cactuses_to_stop_global_warming/

I live in the sonoran desert, (southern arizona) and for one, the co2 emitted from our vehicles is killing the saguaro cactus all along the highways in southern AZ. The closer they are to the road, the bigger the black rotting marks covering them. also I can't remember a good heavy monsoon season in the last 20 years or so. I'm just guessing, but I'm not sure a higher density of cacti could survive due to lack of water. I'm not an expert but I'm assuming if the desert could support more plant life, then it would lol. Had a dream last night that the presidential candidate I like was gonna try to pass a law where the roofs of all houses/buildings world wide would be painted white to help reflect the light/heat back into space to make up for the decreasing sq mileage of our polar ice caps. Strange dream in all, but I wonder if it would make any difference, it would surely take a lot of paint lol!

Gosh - I'm not finding any scientific evidence that supports the above assertions. 

Clearly the writer should have been banned but wasn't.  His rambling nonsense supports the Creed of the Warmers.

Jump to: