Pages:
Author

Topic: repair a T9 + after a bad firmware (lost chain) - page 3. (Read 22682 times)

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
I don't enough experience to any error from PICKit 3 but I will try to help you.
Let me ask why you want to flash the hashboard with PICKit 3? You must check first what is the logs from your miner before you going to flash the hashboard.

Have you check this http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/38/3/1537391587-power-target.jpg

If not check the Power target circuit from the tool then try to connect again if the pickit 3 couldn't detect the hashboard you can try to reattach the connector and USB cable then test it again. If still doesn't work you can check the connector 6 pin with multi-tester check the terminal if there still has a connection of both ends if not your problem is the 6 pin connector.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I'm having this problem.

Code:
Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.54.00
Firmware type..............dsPIC33E/24E
PICkit 3 is trying to supply 3.250000 volts from the USB port, but the target VDD is measured to be 3.000000 volts. This could be due to the USB port power capabilities or the target circuitry affecting the measured VDD.

The target circuit may require more power than the debug tool can provide. An external power supply might be necessary.
Connection Failed.

I dont know whats the problem, but i cant connect the pickit cant find vdd target voltage.

Code:
Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.54.00
Firmware type..............dsPIC33E/24E
Target device was not found (could not detect target voltage VDD). You must connect to a target device to use PICkit 3.
Activity: 48
Merit: 11
SUPERS! it is always a real pleasure to see that my hard work is helping! and a gift is the cherry on the cake !!! then a real thank you;)

Ps: Have you tested my eco mode?

indeed i appreciate it. i was getting nowhere with bitmain support.

No i haven't seen your eco mode stuff. Is that in another post? I messed around with voltage on the github source but only dropped my power usage a couple watts per card which is better than nothing but not as much as I had hoped.
Activity: 446
Merit: 347
SUPERS! it is always a real pleasure to see that my hard work is helping! and a gift is the cherry on the cake !!! then a real thank you;)

Ps: Have you tested my eco mode?
Strongly that your PicKit arrives, that you see for yourself, I experimented all this, I repeat it there is an error in the source code of bitmain for the T9 + (by the way I share a bmminer eco mode, and it works, I've cracked the code for that, just try it after repairing your card), there's just 99.9% chance I'm right, just wait for your PicKit and follow my tutorial, and .. .. ENJOY !!!

OMG I COULD KISS YOU!  Kiss IT WORKED!! Cheesy  My picKit 3 arrived, I followed your directions on the 2 dead cards 1 by 1 & BOOM all 3 cards are working great again!!  THANKS A MILLION!! I gave you a merit I had available & EDIT: I SENT YOU a bit of LTC to say thanks Smiley  Sorry it's not much but know I *REALLY* appreciate your work on this solution & taking the time to point me here from the other thread.

Ps. Safe to say this confirms it's not a hardware issue & bitmain's source is F'd up.
Strongly that your PicKit arrives, that you see for yourself, I experimented all this, I repeat it there is an error in the source code of bitmain for the T9 + (by the way I share a bmminer eco mode, and it works, I've cracked the code for that, just try it after repairing your card), there's just 99.9% chance I'm right, just wait for your PicKit and follow my tutorial, and .. .. ENJOY !!!
If the flashing doesn't work in your hashboard it's not a software related issue.
Broken or damaged hashboard must be replaced or if you have some hardware repair experience you can experiment the hashboard by heating some ICs and chips using hot air and flux and flash them again with a good hex file. However, if you don't have any hardware experience better to replace it with new one.

Hi BitMaxz. It's hard to believe all these bricked T9+'s after running older/built bmminer or older/built firmwares are a sudden in-common hardware issue?! Check out the logs..  The code incorrectly detects wrong fw ver then attempts to flash but then after that the version is 0xFF & the cards no longer work..  On top of that why would dumping PIC from working card then restoring onto the newly dead card fix it if it was hardware?  Perhaps you didn't see my post in another thread with the log & details but here's a link:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48611011
That thread is very very long so I don't expect you to follow the entire thing but many people with T9+'s have run into this issue after running old/custom builds of firmware and/or custom built bmminer from the official bitmain github..

So no flashing doesn't work but it appears either the firmware in dsPIC33EP16GS202_app.txt is wrong/corrupt, something changed (perhaps with the new LOW POWER firmware) that when running older versions incorrectly flashes the PIC, there's a bug in the old miner code (least likely as it would have surely cropped up before now if that was the case..).  What would be handy is to have a copy of old firmware dated same time as github source with copy of the then dsPIC33EP16GS202_app.txt file or better yet updated LOW POWER Nov 2018 source on github along with the updated/correct dsPIC33EP16GS202_app.txt file.  Either one should provide a way to test this further.

In the meantime I added a bug to the source warning T9+ users to beware of this issue & not run the code on github and I have a pickit 3 on the way to attempt recover per 1st post in this thread which would indeed confirm it's not a hardware issue.

Thanks again for the response & appreciate in advance any help in tracking down & resolving this issue.
Bill

EDIT: Here's a snippet of the log to make it easier:

Code:
Miner Type = T9+
Check chain[1] PIC fw version=0x90
chain[1] PIC need restore ...
Later:
Check chain[1] PIC fw version=0xff

Note the pic fw version was 0x90 before, the built bmminer tried to restore the firmware then from that point on it read & logged 0xff every time.
legendary
Block halving is coming.
Thanks for this info it gives me hope I can fix my T9+.  I never even tried the dozer build I just built from the official source!  It really sucks their own software breaks our miners!  The other thing that I'm confused about is if the mminer program can flash & wreck the boards how come it can't flash & repair the board using a good hex file?  Maybe I'm missing something.

If the flashing doesn't work in your hashboard it's not a software related issue.
Broken or damaged hashboard must be replaced or if you have some hardware repair experience you can experiment the hashboard by heating some ICs and chips using hot air and flux and flash them again with a good hex file. However, if you don't have any hardware experience better to replace it with new one.
Thanks for this info it gives me hope I can fix my T9+.  I never even tried the dozer build I just built from the official source!  It really sucks their own software breaks our miners!  The other thing that I'm confused about is if the mminer program can flash & wreck the boards how come it can't flash & repair the board using a good hex file?  Maybe I'm missing something.
hi, the error come on this :

chain[2] PIC jump to app
dsPIC33EP16GS202_get_pic_sw_version failed on Chain[2]

.... you are already try to flash my HEX files ?

Or not, put your own HEX (on MPLAB take "extract") from the good hashboard.

Connect one of the 2 hashboards that works from the minor to the PICKIT3. And in MPLAB does extract (same as my tutorial but EXTRACT).

once the file is recovered, flash it on the failed hashboard, the J2, normally the middle one on the minor;)

I'm confident about the procedure, it should work! Wink

Thanks for giving a feedback;)
With pleasure !!!! Wink

A big thank you for this donation !!!! really generous, it's very enjoyable !!!! Wink

please s9 for hex file.

I'm sorry but I finished my development of S9 (AsicBoost + fan + voltage) and so I do not have it at hand ... my work is "for the moment" finished with him ...

On the other hand, if you have at least one card that works, you can extract the HEX yourself! if need I can help you;)
Activity: 10
Merit: 1
Wow it worked for me!
I am so happy I could kiss you.

I'll throw some LTC your way for being such a champ
Of corse ! PicKit 3 ready to work for all hashboard for all antminer !!! Wink
Activity: 538
Merit: 175
Does pickit 3 work with pic16 also? Or only pic32?
Litle UP !

If any people is interessed by HEX file for S9 Huh if yes, i ready to extract this on needed Wink
Hello, I do not have pick 3 at hand, and in my country, it is very expensive, is there any other way to program the pic, without the pickit 3 Huh I am willing to give btc if you help me please, or I can do it on-line by terminal or something better. Thank you

i buy my PICKIT3 by 20usd shipping included ... is to hi ?

please shearch on website e**y Wink
legendary
Block halving is coming.
Hello, I do not have pick 3 at hand, and in my country, it is very expensive, is there any other way to program the pic, without the pickit 3 Huh I am willing to give btc if you help me please, or I can do it on-line by terminal or something better. Thank you

I couldn't find any alternative for PICKit 3 but I found a guide where you can make a DIY PICKit 3 clone. Honestly, making a clone of PICKit is not easy to do but if you are willing to make you can follow the guide from here Making A Pickit 3 Clone.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Activity: 8
Merit: 2
Hi guys, so I just restarted my computer and sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I'm not entirely sure why this happens. Sad

In any case, does any one know why do I need to flash my board with the Hex provided by @thierry4wd in order for a custom bmminer to work? Is there any way to do this without flashing the board. Right now, I have to take out each board and flash them 1 by 1 with the pickit 3 in order for the custom bmminer to work...

Here's a snippet of the kernel log when I paste the bmminer in before flashing the boards with the hex

Code:
[   23.956220] bcm54xx_config_init
[   26.956770] xemacps e000b000.ps7-ethernet: Set clk to 24999999 Hz
[   26.962790] xemacps e000b000.ps7-ethernet: link up (100/FULL)
[  100.487087] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
Detect 512MB control board of XILINX
Miner Type = T9+
set_reset_allhashboard = 0x0000ffff
set_reset_allhashboard = 0x00000000
chain[1] PIC jump to app
Check chain[1] PIC fw version=0x90

Thanks for the help so far guys! Really appreciate it!
Activity: 538
Merit: 175
For the problem: Too much current has been drawn on VDD. Please disconnect your circuit and check the CLK and DATA lines for shorts and then reconnect. I also had the problem, maybe a procedural error, try to disconnect and reconnect ... it worked for me.

Have you considered that there actually might be a short that's causing the overcurrent on VDD? You can also check voltages on VDD, should be 1.8V on VDD1V8, then look at VDD2V5 if it's anything like the S9.
Pages:
Jump to: