Author

Topic: Report plagiarism (copy/paste) here. Mods: please give temp or permban as needed - page 151. (Read 114514 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 12
User: uzitgc

As u know, there many sites that provide you cloud mining, but I think investing in that sites has some risks. so u can mine with other methods that discussed in the forum.

Original post:

As u know, there many sites that provide you cloud mining, but I think investing in that sites has some risks. so you can mine with other methods that discussed in the forum.

There is, and always will be a lot of scam coins, u just need to do your part and investigate everything u can, and do your job so u can invest in good projects not scams

Original post:
There is, and always will be a lot of scam coins, you just need to do your part and investigate everything you can, and do your job so you can invest in good projects not scams

I think that the crypto market will really recover again because all the coins r depending to this system and I think that because of the people that really demanding to many different coins and due to this it can be help  also market to push it to fully recovery.

Original post:
I think that the crypto market will really recover again because all the coins are depending to this system and i think that because of the people that really demanding to many different coins and due to this it can be help  also market to push it to fully recovery.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18492
Junior Member: Untitled01 BANNED

The goal of most investors generally is to buy low and sell high. This can result in two quite different approaches to equity investing.

One approach is described as "trading." Trading involves following the short-term price fluctuations of different stocks closely and then trying to buy low and sell high. Traders usually decide ahead of time the percentage increase they're looking for before you sell (or decrease before they buy).

While trading has tremendous potential...

The goal of most investors generally is to buy low and sell high. This can result in two quite different approaches to equity investing.

One approach is described as "trading." Trading involves following the short-term price fluctuations of different stocks closely and then trying to buy low and sell high. Traders usually decide ahead of time the percentage increase they're looking for before you sell (or decrease before they buy).

While trading has tremendous potential...
legendary
Activity: 3262
Merit: 16303
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Please ban Newbie Lalit Nautiyal banned!. He adds a few words to his plagiarism. I considered it could have been a Newbie mistake failing at a quote, but he did it in at least one more post. So please ban him:

Copy:
are you now? another possibility is that you copied an address from the wallet of a different "coin" on your Nano S, like Bitcoin Cash. Have you checked the "Bitcoin Cash" wallet on your Nano S to see if the address you copied is there?

Original:
Another possibility is that you copied an address from the wallet of a different "coin" on your Nano S, like Bitcoin Cash. Have you checked the "Bitcoin Cash" wallet on your Nano S to see if the address you copied is there? (Check the "sign message" tool, and start typing the address in the text box, see if it shows up)
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1870
dice9.win
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
User: Gloria4573 Banned

Original

Copy:
Brazil’s First Crypto-Finance Master’s Degree Launches In São Paolo.
Major Brazilian university Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV) in São Paulo is offering the country’s first Master’s degree in crypto-finance, Finance Magnates reported April 12.
The program offers specialized education for the crypto industry. Ricardo Rochman, the program’s coordinator, explained:
“It is a market with a profound lack of people with expertise. Cryptofinance has economic and financial fundamentals that are worth discussing, researching, and [being] taught.”
The FGV Master’s aligns with a wider movement in the Brazilian higher education system to embrace digital currencies and Blockchain as part of their study programs. Neighboring University of São Paolo incorporated cryptocurrency studies into the Derivatives unit of its Faculty of Economics and Administration last year. Professor Alan de Genaro, who initiated the move, explained:
“Some issues have to be presented even though the [student] does not go to work in the finance market. People have to understand which factors are beneficial and which are not suitable [regarding cryptocurrencies].”

Archive

User: buyandsale

Original

Copy:
Some groups on facebook has this scammers and they post on groups like make money double or make bitcoin without investment instantly just by giving blockchain email id so when any fb innocent user reply to them and send them his blockchain email id scammer do create dummy or duplicate account from same email id dont know how they do it and they says deposit some btc to that dummy or dulicate account which password we can change but here is the twist when ever any user deposit any btc in there blockchain new account which was created by this scammer they got there blockchain account hacked and all btc will be stolen. scammer do hack there blockchain account via secret codes provided by blockchain service which me guess how they stole btc ...

Archive

User: rider212 Banned

Original

Copy:
HybridBlock, a Singaporean currency trading (cryptocurrency) and education platform officially launched the latest roadmap update of the project. Built on the Ethereum blockchain, HybridBlock creates an ecosystem of cryptocurrency buying and trading solutions to empower its traders worldwide with a focus on Asia, both beginners and expert level.

Limited training on purchasing and trading of HybridBlock cryptocurrency has been underway at Sheraton Grand Hong Kong on April 9, 2018. The successful pre-sales stage has just concluded for HybridBlock, which generated over USD40,000,000 already collected and ranked significantly higher than the independent third-party ICO review platform.

HybridBlock itself is the trade of cryptocurrency and the world's most innovative educational platform. This is an alternative for those who want to benefit from the explosive growth of cryptocurrencies without the high risk and complexity that accompany the trading of digital assets.

Archive

User: AsifPatel Banned

Original

Copy:
Here is an idea how Bitcoin could be improved:

In the current implementation, scarcity is created by setting up arbitrary computational problems whose sole purpose is to create scarcity. The computational problems are artificially created by the system, much like a fiat currency. There is no natural demand to solve those problems.

This is macroeconomically suboptimal because a lot of CPU power is being "wasted" instead of being put to good use (opportunity cost). It would be bad for the environment too, if BC were ever to become a world currency.

Why not use those CPU cycles to perform computations with real value? This could be done via some sort of grid computing infrastructure such as BOINC, except that it would be a marketplace instead of a volunteer grid.

For example:
A drug company wishing to model the structure of some protein could use Bitcoins to buy "computing credits". The computing credits can then be used to secure the right to define the data and algorithm of each computational chunk.  The CPUs of the BC users solve these chunks and send the results back to the drug company. As before, the BC user gets newly generated Bitcoins in return for computing each chunk. In addition, the user receives the Bitcoins paid by the drug company.

This would have the benefit of backing BC with something more tangible than just the collective faith in the project. It would also generate lots of extra demand for BC.

Archive

User: coinkeke

Original

Copy:
On March 7, 2018, blockchain startup Agora oversaw the results of Sierra Leone’s presidential election, marking the first use of the technology in this capacity.

For voters, the process wasn’t any different than previous elections. They arrived at their polling center, showed election officials their IDs, and then cast their votes on a paper ballot for one of 16 candidates.

What happened next was unlike any other election, though. As Agora’s chief operating officer Jaron Lukasiewicz explained to Coindesk, the Swiss startup then manually recorded the votes on a permissioned blockchain.

Permissioned blockchains aren’t quite the same as public blockchains, like those supporting the cryptocurrencies bitcoin. While anyone can validate transactions on a public blockchain, only authorized persons can validate transactions on a permissioned blockchain.
In the case of the Sierra Leone election, the authorized parties included people from Agora, the Red Cross, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), and the University of Freiburg.

However, like a public blockchain, anyone can view transactions recorded on a permissioned blockchain. That means that once the groups managing the blockchain verified the Sierra Leone votes, anyone — voters, candidates, or just interested third parties — could see the election results.

According to Agora, the company even produced their results two hours sooner than election officials.

Sierra Leone has a history of violence surrounding elections, with several incidents reported in the days prior to 2018’s presidential election. The nation’s government is also more corrupt than most, so the small West African country served as an appropriate testing ground for a technology designed to increase fairness in the election process.
A country like Sierra Leone can ultimately minimize a lot of the fall-out of a highly contentious election by using software like this,” Lukasiewicz told Coindesk.

Agora’s use of blockchain for the Sierra Leone election isn’t the company’s ultimate vision for the technology. Eventually, the startup hopes to eliminate the use of paper ballots altogether, allowing voters to cast their votes via personal electronic devices. This will cut down on election costs, increase voter accessibility, and eliminate a potential avenue for corruption.

Still, Agora’s work in Sierra Leone marked an important milestone on the path to a more transparent and fair democracy built on blockchain technology.

Disclosure: Several members of the Futurism team, including the editors of this piece, are personal investors in a number of cryptocurrency markets. Their personal investment perspectives have no impact on editorial content.

Archive
Vires in Numeris
User: jodhsingh Banned

Original

Copy:

If you are storing crypto assets in wallets I recommend number of things you should do to protect your wallet. Keep these five tips in mind to keep your digital asset secure.

1. Use two Factor Authentication

Find a wallet who offers a two-factor authentication(2FA). If someone had access to your login details, they would also need your phone to get the 2FA code. The best 2FA options, in order of most to least secure, are as follows:

• Hardware dongle
  • An app on your phone that doesn't sync your secret anywhere (e.g. Google authenticator)
  • An app on your phone that does sync (e.g. Authy)
  • Email based
  • SMS based

2. Don't use public Wi-Fi

The vulnerability that comes with public Wi-Fi is that they make easy for hackers to access computers that are connected to that network. There are three specific ways in which public Wi-Fi is risky:
  • Man-in-the-middle attacks
  • Malware
  • Wi-Fi Sniffing

To avoid this issue, don't have your Wi-Fi turned on, allowing it to search and connect public Wi-Fi connections. Have it turned off and carry with you an internet dongle for private connection instead or you can also use your own hotspot from your cell phone.

3. Beware when you download (Even on your phone)

Be cautious when downloading files, not only in email. Remember that there are clever people out there in crypto. You'll notice files posted in communities, on Telegram, Facebook, Reddit, Bitcoin Talk, etc. As tempting at it is to click them, be aware that they could be bait. Always use caution. You can even use Kaspersky's File Desk to quickly check links and files.

4. Use only encrypted email

Whether you have a free online email or own your own server, you're vulnerable to malicious email access. I would suggest ProtonMail, it is an encrypted email service that takes a different approach to email security. The encryption means that no one but you can read your emails, not even ProtonMail themselves.

Note: I do not work with nor endorse ProtonMail, Its just my experience that I recommend this Mail service.

5. Keep private keys offline

If you have wallets on your computer, always store your private keys offline either on an external hard drive or as a hard copy. If someone gains access via malware or public Wi-Fi, this allows you to limit what they can find or take, which buys you time to realize that your device is compromised before anything important is stolen. Also make a extra copy of your external hard drive because it can be damaged or stop working.

Archive
Activity: 420
Merit: 182
I just found another plagiarism ring that is still early (i hasn't yet grown to 100+ posts like my previous find) and it has the same, distinctly bot-like smell, if you'll pardon the soon-to-be-evident pun. It was another case where a strange phrase tipped me off, specifically, "...interested in the smelling game."

Whenever I see a nonsense phrase like that I do a google search on it to see if it pops up elsewhere and sure enough, there are 3 posts on this forum which not only have that phrase but are identical. Links to said posts below:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.38066076

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.37943326

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.38073431

Ideally, all of the users/bots will get nuked, but in order for that to happen either the mod/staff needs to do the same google search or else we need to put a link to every single post in the comment section, which seems cumbersome (and likely not possible, due to space constraints)...

legendary
I just had a déjà vu.
Please ban Full Members 1jaffa1 banned! and PhantomJ banned! for plagiarism:

Copy from the first account:
If I had a business and had to give a public address to get payments I guess it would be cool to have a vanity address so people can pay there, but then this address would need to split those payments into different addresses to make it more anonymous. I wonder if this can be done.

Copy from the second account:
If I had a business and had to give a public address to get payments I guess it would be cool to have a vanity address so people can pay there, but then this address would need to split those payments into different addresses to make it more anonymous.

Original:
If I had a business and had to give a public address to get payments I guess it would be cool to have a vanity address so people can pay there, but then this address would need to split those payments into different addresses to make it more anonymous. I wonder if this can be done.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
User: Skarga94 Banned

In early December, the Venezuelan President announced the creation of a national cryptocurrency. At the end of the month, Nicolas Maduro provided the coin with oil and in addition promised to strengthen its position with diamonds and gold. Following Venezuela's technology, on the basis of which the cryptocurrency works, Sierra Leone became interested. On March 15, the country held the first round of elections, the votes of which were counted with the help of blockchain.The development of the vote counting system was engaged in CEO of Agora startup Leonard Gammar. According to him, in the future the company intends to extend the product to other African countries, and then to the rest of the world.The company notes that the blockchain is the only technology that can make elections transparent and honest.
Archive:
http://archive.is/doeGD

Source:
http://scienews.com/bitcoin/3655-africa-saw-the-world-s-first-election-on-the-blockchain.html

And another one:

built according to certain rules, a continuous chain of blocks (connected list) containing information. Most often, copies of block chains are stored on many different computers independently of each other.Transaction block is a special structure for recording a group of transactions in the Bitcoin system and similar ones. A transaction is considered complete and reliable ("confirmed") when its format and signatures are checked, and when the transaction itself is grouped with several others and recorded in a special structure — a block. The contents of blocks can be checked because each block contains information about the previous block. All blocks are built in one chain, which contains information about all operations ever performed in the database. The very first block in the chain-the primary block-is considered as a separate case, since it does not have a parent block

Archive
http://archive.is/6d5pp

Source:
http://cryptojeb.com/
legendary
Sr. Member ihnattm banned! made the mistake of showing very accurate numbers in his post. That can't happen without a source, and indeed, it's plagiarism. Please end his posting career.

Copy:
The downside break of the bear flag, a bearish continuation pattern, indicates the minor corrective rally from the low of $7,402 has ended and BTC could drop to $7,000 (target as per the measured height method).
The 50-hour, 100-hour and 200-hour moving averages (MAs) are biased to the bears. Meanwhile, the relative strength index (RSI) has dropped close to the oversold region (30.00), but is holding well above the lows seen yesterday, indicating there is enough room for a drop to $7,000.
BTCBTCBTC

Original: https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-faces-drop-to-7k-as-bull-defense-crumbles/
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
Here is one for you..
http://archive.is/zbknc

Bitcoin fell roughly 9 percent Wednesday to its lowest level since mid April, extending a sell-off that started after a week of major blockchain conferences in New York City.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/bitcoin-drops-9-percent-now-back-below-8000.html
Activity: 241
Merit: 117
Satpam BTT 👮
Doing some research in the same thread and I found it again.
User : misterbigg banned.

Copy : (http://archive.is/RCjgU)
Using Agrello means that legal projects are streamlined and reduced in cost to their clients

Original :
https://www.coinspeaker.com/2018/01/23/top-5-blockchain-based-startups-look-2018/

User : kyxap banned.

Copy : (http://archive.is/9h1wv)
In other words, to have access and transact on the Blockhive platform, users must fully register and receive the protocol’s Future Loan Access Tokens (FLAT) as soon as they lend funds to the company. It is these tokens that will enable the transfer of loan agreements among users. The funds lent however are in the form of cryptocurrency, as those are the payment methods supported by the platform.

Original :
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/02/06/blockhive-partners-agrello-new-crowdfunding-innovation-using-blockchain-technology/

User : z0n0 banned.

Copy : (http://archive.is/RHf8l)
Estonia, the Digital Republic - Agrello's home.

"Its government presents this digitization as a cost-saving efficiency and an equalizing force. Digitizing processes reportedly saves the state two per cent of its G.D.P. a year in salaries and expenses."

Original :
https://twitter.com/AgrelloOfficial/status/942103118967386112
Vires in Numeris
User: ashik0183 Banned

Original

Copy:
Norway's central bank is preparing for a future in which it might issue a digital currency amid a slump in cash usage in the country.

Looking into the possibility, a working group at Norges Bank has released a report titled "Central Bank Digital Currencies," which explains that, as citizens turn away from physical forms of money, the bank must consider "a number of new attributes that are important for ensuring an efficient and robust payment system."

Already, the country's DNB bank has stopped handling cash, with Trond Bentestuen, group executive vice president of wealth management and insurance at the bank, telling local media as far back as 2016, that only 6 percent of Norwegians use cash on a daily basis.

Further, Jon Nicolaisen, deputy governor of Norges Bank, stated in a speech last April that the role of cash "continues to diminish" as consumers move towards electronic payments, adding that "For many consumers, electronic central bank money could provide an alternative to depositing money in a bank, as cash does today."

The new report looks at various features and purposes for a CBDC and suggests some roles that "merit further consideration," including as an alternative to deposits in private banks (in addition to cash); as a backup solution for the standard electronic payment systems; and to provide a suitable legal tender as a supplement to cash.

Describing blockchain-based systems as "immature," the report further explains that the preferred model for the CBDC would be either "account-based" - centralized and stored on a database - or "value-based" - decentralized and stored on electronic chips such as prepaid cards or SIMs.

Archive
Vires in Numeris
User: jakirtanvir Banned

Original

Copy:
It's only for them who don't know units of Bitcoin.

The unit of account of the bitcoin system is a bitcoin. Ticker symbols used to represent bitcoin are BTC and XBT.
Small amounts of bitcoin used as alternative units are millibitcoin (mBTC), and satoshi (sat). Named in homage to bitcoin's creator.
A satoshi is the smallest amount within bitcoin representing 0.00000001 bitcoins, one hundred millionth of a bitcoin.
A millibitcoin equals 0.001 bitcoins, one thousandth of a bitcoin or 100,000 satoshis.

Archive
Vires in Numeris
legendary
I went to the Bitcoin Discussion board, hoping to find something worth reading, and find plagiarism within a minute.
Please ban Full Member Batang Hambog banned!:

Copy:
is just a new kind of FUD, and some people are trying  to manipulate the market with this FUD. They want other people to panic and sell their coins low, so manipulators can buy them and sell later. People shouldn't care about minor news, it's a good way to lose money if you trade by reacting to them,

Original:
"MTGox is selling" is just a new kind of FUD, and some people are trying  to manipulate the market with this FUD. They want other people to panic and sell their coins low, so manipulators can buy them and sell later. People shouldn't care about minor news, it's a good way to lose money if you trade by reacting to them, instead people should have a good long term strategy that ignores minor fluctuations. Time has proven that all these hacks, government bans and other stuff doesn't matter in the long run, so people should never panic on this market.
Activity: 241
Merit: 117
Satpam BTT 👮
User : kosaet BANNED. Roll Eyes

Copy : (http://archive.is/NenWa)
Agrello combines their legal training with the transformative power of the blockchain to create a platform for legally binding smart contracts.

Original :
http://bitcoinist.com/taste-consensus-2018-projects-look/

User : denysrodman BANNED.

Copy : (http://archive.is/NenWa)
Agrello is focused on end users and allows anyone to create intellectual contracts and does not require any programming skills or legal knowledge. All this is done with a team of developers and lawyers who deal with all the questions that the user has.

Original :
https://icorating.com/ico/agrello-dlt/
Vires in Numeris
User: Matoffo Banned

Original:
https://medium.com/@serhii_62367/a-solution-which-makes-bitcoin-great-again-967223803dc1

Copy:
Known Bitcoin issues such as transaction cost and speed make inconvenience with cryptocurrency usage, for instance, to make sure that our transaction valid we need to wait at least an hour, also if take into account that transaction fee quite expensive, there is no sense to use Bitcoin to buy a coffee or for another retail purpose. But seems like this issue was resolved with Lightning Network above Bitcoin, now it could have the transaction throughput as Visa (previously bitcoin was in thousand times slower than visa). In addition to Lightning Network very promising looks NFC for bitcoin. So, in nearest future will be developed applications which will have a user experience similar to Apple Pay but for Bitcoin. As a summary, Lightning Network and NFC could significantly increase the number of bitcoin transactions in retail.
But together with this great opportunity, we have another news which does not look so promising, media says Bitcoin mining could use 0.5% of world’s electrical energy in 2018. It is the huge number and it warms the planet a lot. So time to think about consensus algorithm update, yes, it is not easy, not only because of HardFork will be required, but in terms of interests inside bitcoin community, there are a lot who are interesting to keep mining. But warming the planet, not an option at all. As a good example, Ethereum is on the way from PoW to PoS and they are going to accept potential risks with a hard fork.
As an option, Bitcoin may introduce retail market entrance and consensus algorithm at the same time and it could mitigate hard fork risk.

Archive
Vires in Numeris
User: diatamariono Banned

Original: https://www.coindesk.com/crypto-tribalism-holding-back-blockchain/

Copy:
The evolution of CoinDesk's annual Consensus conference mirrors the changing makeup of the cryptocurrency and blockchain community.

The inaugural 2015 event's 500 attendees were dominated by true believers in bitcoin, along with its subversive goal of replacing fiat currency and traditional banking  - though, with Citibank as a sponsor and many bankers present, the conference was also a modest blockchain baptism for the financial establishment.

By contrast, last week's fourth installment boasted 7,500 attendees, from 104 different countries and captures a full cross-section of the economy that includes everyone from automobile makers and insurance companies to government agencies and even a fast food chain.

Expansion has come at the cost of cohesiveness. This big-tent community is gripped with internal divisions that are both baffling and off-putting to outsiders.

Permissionless" cryptocurrency purists accuse established enterprises of co-opting the technology to produce watered down blockchain models that protect their incumbency. For their part, the enterprises critique the early adopters as naïve idealists whose complex solutions are impractical in the real world.

Further, within the purist crypto sub-community itself, there are internecine battles among proponents of different visions of bitcoin while fierce competition rages between so-called "altcoins," whether ethereum, XRP, EOS or hundreds more.

Accusations of scams and personal attacks against different developers are rife on "crypto Twitter," a social media setting that's now synonymous with derision, bitterness and ad hominem attacks.

This conflict is unavoidable. It's even helpful, to the extent that it compels developers to improve their projects' code.

But with the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulators considering a more draconian stance against cryptocurrency and blockchain projects, a more united front among all who believe in this technology's sweeping potential could help ensure a more constructive legal environment for its development

How do you think about this news ?

Archive
Vires in Numeris
User: romandos86 Banned

Copy:
Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin were designed to be efficient, low-friction alternatives to traditional financial systems. But it seems their creators maybe didn’t think too hard about their sustainability.

An analysis published in the journal Joule this week predicts the Bitcoin network could be using 7.67 gigawatts of electricity by the end of the year. That’s half a percent of the world’s electricity and the same amount used by the whole of Austria.

The problem comes from the way Bitcoin verifies transactions. To avoid duplicate spending of coins, members of the network compete in tricky computational challenges for the right to create the next block of transactions in the chain in return for a reward—currently 12.5 bitcoins (roughly $10,000).

But solving these challenges—a process known as “mining”—requires you to run high-powered computers nearly continuously, which uses a lot of electricity. The paper’s author, economist Alex de Vries, estimates a single transaction uses the same amount of energy as an average household in the Netherlands uses in a month.

To add to the problem, the mining challenges are getting harder, forcing miners to invest ever more power-hungry hardware. That’s because the network self-regulates to keep the rate of new blocks constant at around 1 every 10 minutes by increasing the difficulty of the calculations depending on the total computational power of the network.

This combines to create a situation where the energy use of the system can only really go one way—at least until the cost of mining bitcoins reaches equilibrium with the cost of the electricity and hardware required to do so.

The 7.67 GW figure is actually de Vries’ estimate for when this equilibrium will be reached, something he says could happen this year. But it’s worth noting that his estimates are based on some pretty big assumptions.

De Vries based his estimates on the energy usage of the Antiminer S9, the top-of-the-range specialized mining chip produced by market leader Bitmain. He then assumed a 1–2 year lifetime for these chips, an average electricity cost of 5 US cents per kWh, and a production cost of $500, based on estimates from a bitcoin developer.

He used these figures to work out what percentage of the lifetime cost of the chips went to electricity, coming to a ballpark figure of 60 percent after hedging for the uncertainty around the chips’ lifetimes. By combining this figure, his assumed electricity cost, and the value of Bitcoin mined on March 16 of this year, he reached his figure for equilibrium.

The reason he thinks we could reach this equilibrium point in 2018 is based on the fact that the number of Antiminers due to be produced this year would have a combined electricity consumption of 8.92 GW, so there should be enough devices to make it possible.

That’s a lot of assumptions, and the model relies on both the price of electricity and bitcoin staying the same until the end of the year, which the last 12 months suggests is unlikely. Marc Bevand, a bitcoin investor and entrepreneur who has also made efforts to forecast Bitcoin’s energy usage, pointed out to Gizmodo that de Vries’ estimate also assumes Bitmain is selling its chips at cost, which gives miners much more money to spend on electricity.

Stanford University energy economist Jonathan Koomey criticized previous estimates made by de Vries on his Digiconomist blog using a similar approach, because he said basing the analysis on estimates about manufacturers’ costs and revenues introduced lots of opportunity for error and uncertainty.

But with no publicly-available data on energy consumption from the miners themselves, making unambiguous claims about the electricity use of these networks is hard. Indeed, de Vries admits that there’s plenty of scope for disagreement, but he says it’s important to start doing these calculations now so we can start to think about the policy implications of Bitcoin’s energy use.

“We don’t really have a common approach to getting to a future estimate of electricity consumption right now, which is why I am hoping to get this conversation started,” he said in a press release. “I’m doing this research, but a lot of people should be doing it.”

It’s not all a one-way street. The problems around Bitcoin’s energy consumption have been known for a while, and there are efforts underway to deal with the problem.

There are various proposals for more energy-efficient alternatives to the pointless computation used to verify transactions. Most notable is an approach currently being considered by the second-biggest cryptocurrency, Ethereum, that bases decisions on who makes the next block using a lottery, with your chances of winning based on how many coins you have.

Companies like Bitmain are also working on ever more efficient mining chips, and as demand goes up you can expect bigger players to pile in with their expertise too. Intel recently applied for a patent on a high-efficiency specialized Bitcoin mining chip.

But it is worth noting that another Bitcoin boom like the one experienced at the end of last year would see that point of equilibrium shift far higher, incentivizing even greater electricity use.

While we shouldn’t take the figures from de Vries’ analysis as gospel, they are a useful reality check for anyone assuming that cryptocurrencies, at least in their current form, are the future of our financial system.

Original:
https://singularityhub.com/2018/05/21/will-bitcoin-use-as-much-electricity-as-all-of-austria-by-the-end-of-the-year/#sm.00000gm1u00aqkcxryc6ad2ghn8bd

Archive
Jump to: