Author

Topic: Report plagiarism (copy/paste) here. Mods: please give temp or permban as needed - page 166. (Read 116205 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Newbie tiffanywalsh is copying random old texts and should be banned.

Copy (one of many):
Lets first analyze Litecoin. It is different from Bitcoin in 3 major ways. It runs under a different algorithm, the block speed is much faster, but the network power is not as strong as the one of bitcoin. Back in the good ol days Litecoin was peaking at $45, but what happened now? The simplest explanation is that the hype died. Litecoin was hyped to be ASIC resistant with it’s Scrypt mining algorithm and because the confirmation arrive much faster it seemed like an improvement upon bitcoin. However, we have since seen the release of the GridSeed which is an ASIC miner for litecoin. The release of the ASIC miner ruins the hype that litecoin is in fact ASIC resistant because GridSeed proves otherwise.

The other hype that surrounded litecoin was it’s faster transaction speeds and how it must be a better network. Wrong, just because a block can be solved faster and the confirmations arrive faster does not mean that the network is faster. Think of it this way, litecoin’s blocks take 2.5 minutes to be solved on average, and bitcoin blocks take 10 minutes to be solved. So in other words, 4 litecoin confirmations = 1 bitcoin confirmation security wise. So just because a confirmation arrived earlier does not mean that the transaction is just as secure as that of a longer arriving confirmation (hope that made sense).

So since litecoin is not asic proof and faster transaction speeds do not equal the same security, the hype has died. There is no real use for litecoin now because it is just another version of bitcoin with a few differences. It falls in the category of all the other litecoins which do not have any significant difference or improvements.

Original: https://themerkle.com/why-is-litecoin-dying/ (written in 2014).

legendary
What to think of these accounts? jokilax (registered July 2017), jhewlijw (registered 2 days later) and Boi qaaf (registered in 2012). All old accounts that suddenly became very active shitposters.

Mark Zuckerberg is CEO of facebook.if he used the bitcoin,bitcoin will be more popular.

Mark Zuckerberg is CEO of facebook.if he comes into crypto world,it will be more popular and bitcoin users will increase.

Mark Zuckerberg is founder of facebook.if he comes into cryptocurrency,it will make popular and it motivates to more people.
legendary
User For_Canal_Coins caught my attention by posting something other than a question on Bitcoin Technical Support.

Copy:
What is the Lightning Network?

The Lightning Network is a system of smart contracts built on top of the base Bitcoin blockchain that allows for fast, cheap payments directly between two parties.

On a technical level, the Lightning Network is built on payment channels, which were envisioned by Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto in the early days of the project’s development. The basic idea here is that two people put some bitcoin into a multisig address and then sign transactions that alter the amount of bitcoin each party is able to redeem. The payment channel can be closed by either party at any time, and the last-signed transaction with the most up-to-date balances for both parties is the one that will be broadcasted and included in the Bitcoin blockchain.

From a less-technical perspective, the Lightning Network's use of payment channels effectively allows users to transact with each other directly rather than broadcasting their business to the entire world. By tracking their payments between each other on their own, the two parties are able to avoid expensive and time-consuming interactions with the blockchain. If there is some sort of dispute regarding balances on the Lightning Network, either party can send the last valid state signed by both parties to the blockchain, which acts as a sort of automated judge that cannot be corrupted or bribed. In other words, nobody can cheat or fudge the numbers.

With the Lightning Network, users are able to transact with anyone who is connected to their network of payment channels through multiple hops. It’s a network of payment channels rather than a way of enabling faster transactions between only two parties.

The key benefits of the Lightning Network include: drastically lower fees, instant payments (avoiding Bitcoin’s ten minute confirmation times), and the potential for improved privacy since these transactions are not stored in a public ledger forever.

Original: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ktorpey/2017/12/28/will-bitcoins-lightning-network-kill-off-altcoins-focused-on-cheap-transactions/#3f5e1a047dab
legendary
Newbie Stickist001 joins the club of copy/pasters:

Copy:
What is Bitcoin worth today?

Bitcoin, on January 5, 2018, was worth $14,953.99 (£11,016.84) just after 8am.

The currency has dipped slightly since yesterday, when it closed at $14,991.16 (£11,062.43).

This comes months after its price exceeded the value of an ounce of gold for the first time – then about £940.

But investors are worried by the currency's volatile nature and the market's inability to cope with sudden shifts in demand.

An eBay executive told Yahoo Finance the tech giant is "seriously considering" accepting bitcoin payments after its recent success.

Although Scott Cutlor, senior vice president of eBay Americas said they're "not quite there yet", his consideration indicates how fast the cryptocurrency is permeating the mainstream.

Original: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5069370/bitcoin-price-usd-gbp-latest-news-cryptocurrency-january-5/
legendary
User akamy789 copy/pastes some text, then quotes himself and copy/pastes some more. He should be banned.

Copy (the quote is also a copy):
The DAG uses each transaction on its “chain” to solve the ones before it, as more transactions go on the quicker the solution is found.
Byteball distributed their initial “Bytes” back in 2016 via cashback partnerships with merchants and distributing certain amounts dependent on the amount of BTC in an account. This has resulted in a headstart in the market instead of, what has become the industry standard, creating an ICO and hoping for the best.Beyond this, Byteball is offering smart contracts similar in vein to what Ethereum offers. They have even further expanded on the capabilities of these contracts for use in betting on sports events or political elections as well.

Original: https://btcmanager.com/the-future-of-cryptos-byteball-iota-vs-bitcoin-ethereum/

User Mantisa83 should be banned too:

Copy:
In general the whole idea behind creation of alternative model of exchanging value between humans was to be independent of monetary system as we know it. If there is no usability in reality and if that interaction cost more then in monetary system, what would be the purpose in a first place, and then why would anyone do that if it cost him/her more then usually?

Original (or at least one of several websites with the same text): https://disqus.com/by/deepdish33/
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
Whilst wading through an old thread of morbidly fascinating stupidity-train wreckage about “brainwallets”, I discovered that tinhyeumaunang uid #937704 (then Brand New; now Member) had the utter gall to copypaste a forum moderator’s post in its entirety—2 minutes, 14 seconds after registering that account:

It is highly NOT RECOMMENDED to use brainwallets. Humans are a horrendously low source of entropy. There are multiple research papers and programs that show that brainwallets are horribly insecure and easily cracked as what you think is a strong password probably is not a strong password.

BIP 38 paper wallets will not be particularly helpful here. It only protects against someone stealing your paper wallet and trying to get the keys. BIP 38 does not protect against someone just guessing the password you used to create your brainwallet.

Copypaste (archived.is, archive.org):

It is highly NOT RECOMMENDED to use brainwallets. Humans are a horrendously low source of entropy.
There are multiple research papers and programs that show that brainwallets are horribly insecure and easily cracked as what you think is a strong password probably is not a strong password.
BIP 38 paper wallets will not be particularly helpful here.
 It only protects against someone stealing your paper wallet and trying to get the keys. BIP 38 does not protect against someone just guessing the password you used to create your brainwallet.

Current stats:

Name:    tinhyeumaunang
Activity:    114
Position:    Member
Date Registered:    January 03, 2017, 10:42:50 AM
Last Active:    September 17, 2017, 04:56:08 PM

I hope that I have here caused the nuking of an bad account which would have value on the account-sale market.

Are you looking to become a moderator yourself in the future?

That’s bait; but I’ll bite, because I think you misunderstand the glory of being a moderator.

My reporting stats currently say this:  “You have reported 139 posts with 100% accuracy”.  That is since I started actively engaging the forum on 1 December 2017 (though I did about 70 of those in one hours-long binge).  So yes, sometimes I get in the mood to help out and clean up some of the trash around here.

But I would be not be jumping for joy at the prospect of making a commitment to take responsibility day in, day out for a task tantamount to emptying a landfill with a spoon—as the garbage trucks keep rolling in.  A rotten, thankless task, which elicits replies such as yours hereinabove:  “Why don't you stop and think for a moment...  What the fuck... ...lest we get caught by some nut [C’est moi!]...”  I see mods get that guff all the time.  Not that I think they give a damn about such opinions, and neither do I; but also, I so rarely see them receive a simple “thank you” for efforts without which the forum would be totally useless.

Now, this discussion has gone way off-topic in a quite useful thread; thus unless something pertinent or at least interesting be said by you in reply, I will not reply to you further.

P.S.:  Thanks, mods.
legendary
As I got it, the mods didn't nuke them
They're nuked:
We don't know the exact reasons why there were two consecutive, mostly identical posts by two (presumably) different people. In fact, there can be a lot of reasons beyond evil intent. For example, sometimes you submit the same post twice and have to delete one of them provided you ever notice duplicate posts. And yep, it looks pretty much like you are making mountains out of molehills in this case. It is a minor offense, so I have to stand by what I said earlier.
Considering the large amount of spam on the forum, spamming Newbies shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. I think Mods now us a "if it quacks like a duck"-approach.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Hey, guys, don't you think you are a bit overdoing this?

Why don't you stop and think for a moment that there are only 26 letters (well, that depends on the alphabet you are using) and these are the same letters we all use. What the fuck, we even use the same words and phrases or even whole sentences now and then ("insult to the injury", yeah). These are idioms as well as golden thoughts said by wise people which allow you to express your idea without delving into pesky details. Should we avoid using them lest we get caught by some nut and reported to a mod?

deisik, you quoted my post in its entirety; but you failed to even read it.  Here, let me help you:

Both these posts were... consecutive in the same thread[.]

[...]

Yes, those posts are here quoted in their entireties.

Contra your implication, it is not as if I trawled the forum for two people who by happenstance uttered similar short sentences years apart amidst thoughtful discussion.

I think mods made the right call, nuking both users.

As I got it, the mods didn't nuke them

Just posts were deleted and that was likely a right decision given they are totally useless and meaningless (but who am I to discuss mods here after all), but this is surely not enough to nuke the user(s) altogether. We don't know the exact reasons why there were two consecutive, mostly identical posts by two (presumably) different people. In fact, there can be a lot of reasons beyond evil intent. For example, sometimes you submit the same post twice and have to delete one of them provided you ever notice duplicate posts. And yep, it looks pretty much like you are making mountains out of molehills in this case. It is a minor offense, so I have to stand by what I said earlier. Are you looking to become a moderator yourself in the future?
copper member
A newbie’s first post (uid #1563170; preserved evidence) copypasted verbatim from The Register:

As far as defeating hashcash goes, the numbers are daunting for quantum computer designers: by 2028, the researchers reckon, you'd need a 4.4 million qubit machine to achieve 13.8 gigahashes per second: “This is more than one thousand times slower than off the shelf ASIC devices which achieve hash rates of 14TH/s”.

Shor's algorithm, a quantum algorithm for factoring integers (that's how it would attack cryptography), is a better path, they write.

Deploying a quantum computer against the secp256k1 elliptic curve Bitcoin uses is much more dangerous: if the signature is cracked, the scheme is completely insecure, and attackers can plant fake transactions and steal Bitcoin.

As with cracking the proof-of-work, the researchers assume quantum computers get big and fast relatively quickly, and even so, they fall slightly short: with a 10 GHz clock rate, around half a million qubits, and a low enough error rate of 10-1 could crack the signature in 30 minutes.

That's close enough to make Bitcoin's critical 10-minute rate “highly insecure”, so the authors recommend the Bitcoin protocol be migrated to a post-quantum signature scheme.

Copypaster didn’t even bother to fix the “10-1”.  Of course, this was in a totally irrelevant thread (“Re: Brainwallet history”).

Why don't you stop and think for a moment that there are only 26 letters (well, that depends on the alphabet you are using) and these are the same letters we all use. What the fuck, we even use the same words and phrases or even whole sentences now and then ("insult to the injury", yeah). These are idioms as well as golden thoughts said by wise people which allow you to express your idea without delving into pesky details. Should we avoid using them lest we get caught by some nut and reported to a mod?

deisik, you quoted my post in its entirety; but you failed to even read it.  Here, let me help you:

Both these posts were... consecutive in the same thread[.]

[...]

Yes, those posts are here quoted in their entireties.

Contra your implication, it is not as if I trawled the forum for two people who by happenstance uttered similar short sentences years apart amidst thoughtful discussion.

I think mods made the right call, nuking both users.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Edit:  Mods completely nuked both these users as I was typing this post, which prophetically concludes:  “Mods, please beat me to it!”  Props to the mods here.

What adds insult to the injury of copypasting, is copypasting nonsense.  Both these posts were deleted by mods almost instantly after I reported them.  They were consecutive in the same thread (which itself seems spammish).

Please consider some bans here.  uid #1367288 “quynhanh9c” (here the one copied) mostly/only makes one-liner nonsense posts.  uid #1433133 “lamsersanjay” (here the copier) seems similar—and copypastes nonsense, which should be doubly nuke-account-on-sight.

Take the time to observe and observe everything

Take the time to observe and observe everything bitoin

Yes, those posts are here quoted in their entireties.  I think I will be now be reporting a bunch of posts by these users.  Mods, please beat me to it!

copper member
Edit:  Mods completely nuked both these users as I was typing this post, which prophetically concludes:  “Mods, please beat me to it!”  Props to the mods here.

What adds insult to the injury of copypasting, is copypasting nonsense.  Both these posts were deleted by mods almost instantly after I reported them.  They were consecutive in the same thread (which itself seems spammish).

Please consider some bans here.  uid #1367288 “quynhanh9c” (here the one copied) mostly/only makes one-liner nonsense posts.  uid #1433133 “lamsersanjay” (here the copier) seems similar—and copypastes nonsense, which should be doubly nuke-account-on-sight.

Take the time to observe and observe everything

Take the time to observe and observe everything bitoin

Yes, those posts are here quoted in their entireties.  I think I will be now be reporting a bunch of posts by these users.  Mods, please beat me to it!
Activity: 2576
Merit: 882
Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

P2SH Segwit Addresses

All current and future segwit-enabled wallets are expected to generate receiving addresses that start with the number 3 when generating segwit addresses. Addresses that start with the number 3 are known as pay-to-script-hash (P2SH) addresses.

~snip~

Source is the last two paragraphs from https://thewalletgenius.com/understanding-segwit-segregated-witness/
legendary
I stumbled upon user Yabuy92's shitpost here. Checking his post history instantly gave a reason to permaban him:

Copy:
GUIMiner is the ultimate Bitcoin mining tool for Windows and is one of the easiest ways to start mining Bitcoins. By offering simple and easy-to-use graphical interfaces, GUIMiner allows you to take full control of the Bitcoin mining process without requiring complicated commands or constantly editing configuration files. GUIMiner is a Windows mining software that is suitable for beginners as well as for experts, offering many useful features that will help anyone get plenty of Bitcoin without the hassle.

Original: http://mininguraniumfactorio.blogspot.com/
legendary
what is the link for this modlog?
https://bitcointalk.org/modlog.php

I reported a copy paste user, that single post was removed but he still posting today
so do I need to report every single copy paste posts he made?
Officially, copy/pasting should be banned. Unfortunately, you don't get feedback on reported posts, that's why I prefer to post the ones that deserve a ban here. I use the report-link for posts that should be deleted or moved only.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 738
Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com
Two of (not shown below) them were banned in recent modlog, the rest I can't check.
what is the link for this modlog? I'm curious to see how many users got banned daily Cheesy
I reported a copy paste user, that single post was removed but he still posting today
so do I need to report every single copy paste posts he made?
I clearly mentioned in the first report that many of this user's posts were copy pasted from other published sources
Activity: 134
Merit: 147
This user copypasted my post, on the next post right underneath it!  Looks like a bot, an exceptionally stupid bot:

will address the latter first, since it is a technical issue.  Any selection of characters for such an application will always involve tradeoffs of excluding worse confusable pairs, whilst regrettably tolerating some less confusable pairs.  Of course, making that distinction cannot be what I’d call an exact science.  BIP 173 set forth its rationale on this point; do you have any objective reason to contradict the research it cites?

My post:

I will address the latter first, since it is a technical issue.  Any selection of characters for such an application will always involve tradeoffs of excluding worse confusable pairs, whilst regrettably tolerating some less confusable pairs.  Of course, making that distinction cannot be what I’d call an exact science.  BIP 173 set forth its rationale on this point; do you have any objective reason to contradict the research it cites?

I will hit the “Report to moderator” button also, of course.  (I have reported >100 posts in the past few weeks, with 100% accuracy.)  I post here to request nuking from orbit.

Aside, I wish I had discovered this thread before.  I reported a number of copypastes, with links to websites copied.  I don’t know if those accounts were banned, as they should have been.

Thanks to mods for their efforts shovelling garbage out of a landfill with a spoon, as the garbage trucks continue to arrive.

There's a deletion log here somewhere which will show you all the recent bans and trashed threads. 100 reports in a few weeks is massive though! I think I recall shorena & Lutpin being the biggest reporters on the forum and I don't think they even averaged 100 reports every few weeks.
copper member
This user copypasted my post, on the next post right underneath it!  Looks like a bot, an exceptionally stupid bot:

will address the latter first, since it is a technical issue.  Any selection of characters for such an application will always involve tradeoffs of excluding worse confusable pairs, whilst regrettably tolerating some less confusable pairs.  Of course, making that distinction cannot be what I’d call an exact science.  BIP 173 set forth its rationale on this point; do you have any objective reason to contradict the research it cites?

My post:

I will address the latter first, since it is a technical issue.  Any selection of characters for such an application will always involve tradeoffs of excluding worse confusable pairs, whilst regrettably tolerating some less confusable pairs.  Of course, making that distinction cannot be what I’d call an exact science.  BIP 173 set forth its rationale on this point; do you have any objective reason to contradict the research it cites?

I will hit the “Report to moderator” button also, of course.  (I have reported >100 posts in the past few weeks, with 100% accuracy.)  I post here to request nuking from orbit.

Aside, I wish I had discovered this thread before.  I reported a number of copypastes, with links to websites copied.  I don’t know if those accounts were banned, as they should have been.

Thanks to mods for their efforts shovelling garbage out of a landfill with a spoon, as the garbage trucks continue to arrive.
Activity: 84
Merit: 16
Begone junkers!
~snip

so young and already c/p  Cry
LoL You should check his first shitpost XD~
Hooray for less spam!
me too
 Grin
And the rest of his post.. 1 liners!

Please mods pretty please go get theymos attention for these account farmers problems.. They really are annoying!! And sometimes they gank a pretty decent thread post and make it like a shit thread @_@.. And it's become so hard to discuss..

I don't feel burden at all even if I must report 10 junker/spammer each time I want to post something. At least I read a decent thread in a decent discussion.. And write a pm to those person that I want to discuss something about.

So hell yeah please read the idea of mine XD~
global moderator
Activity: 3850
Merit: 2643
Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!
Probably a bot. We've had them before. Nuked.
legendary
gave a warning to raaner12  to knock it off.
That didn't stop him:
This weekend on December 10, the Chicago Board Options Exchange (Cboe) began its first trading sessions. Since then the introduction of bitcoin-based derivatives held on a well-known mainstream exchange, the news has injected a surge of positivity into bitcoin’s spot markets. Moreover, the price of Cboe’s futures products has been trading wildly starting off at the $15K mark and has reached an all-time high of $18,650.

Over the Past Two Days, Cboe’s XBT Markets and Bitcoin’s Spot Prices See Wild Fluctuations
Two Days of Cboe's Bitcoin Futures Show Intense Volume Fluctuations Cboe’s bitcoin-based futures one-month bitcoin contract (XBT:1) started trading this past Sunday, and is currently up over 8 percent higher than bitcoin’s spot price. BTC spot markets have been on a tear leading up to the mainstream derivatives products with a global average hovering between the $16,900-17,200 region. Cboe’s futures products are a different animal and contracts are cash-settled based on the BTC price data provided Gemini in U.S. dollars. These exchange-traded derivatives products are bets on the future price of bitcoin and investors wager on whether the value will be high or low. If the price of bitcoin rises or dips, the contract holder is paid out based on how much the value has climbed or dropped within a specified time-frame.

Read More
Maybe he doesn't speak English. Or maybe it's a bot.
Jump to: