Pages:
Author

Topic: Residential Limit 15amp or 20amp? - page 6. (Read 13187 times)

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
December 03, 2013, 12:03:10 AM
:-)  Were you going to build elevators into the garage to get the cars down to the basement? Also, what are you planning to be your mining hardware platform? I will be expanding out to a small 10 TH/S farm the middle of next year and I am captivated by the folks that go really big.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
December 03, 2013, 12:00:25 AM
legendary
Activity: 910
December 02, 2013, 11:55:52 PM
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
December 02, 2013, 11:39:10 PM
Im in the states.. Im just wondering what everyone's power limit is at?

Im not sure what i got goin on.. i may end up calling an electrician before more mining gear gets here...

Anyone know the cost of getting an electrician to upgrade you to 30 - 50amp?  Whats everyone's experience?

OK, you are confusing the capacity of individual lines in the house with the total incoming service.

The two have only a limited relationship.

Depending on when your house was built and depending on when and if there have been upgrades to your electrical service, you will have pretty much have 60, 100 or 200 amp service.

You'll have to contact your local power company to find out.

Now this is what my partners and myself have done.

A few years back in the height of the foreclosure crisis, we each bought nifty-fifties ranch style homes with basements.  We moved the furnace/AC and hot water tanks out of the basements to ground floor or attic locations, leaving the entire basements essentialyl free span except for the beam supporting posts.  This was not originally done with crypto mining in mind but it is going to work out well for it.

In my area we can get 400 amp incoming service, 88,000 watts, brought in by the utility company and the wiring upgrade cost around USD $2.5K per home.

We can run a shit ton of miners with 88,000 watss capacity and still run the entire home.

We had the electrician who had pulled the permit to hook up the existing house wiring to the new breaker box and weatherhead, leaving the rest of the breakers not hooked to anything, telling the city inpspector that those were for future use and we'd get back to him.

About three minutes after the inspector signed off on the job I was busily running new circuits in preparation for mining as we are using these three locations for the upcoming mining farm offering; Lost Dutchman Mining.

Now in your case, remember that a single wall socket is only good for about 2500 watts max, so if you are going to run a bunch of miners, you're going to have to have a lot of 30 amp lines coming off your breaker box.

To do what you want to do you need to contact a couple of local electicians and get competitive bids as such bids could vary wildly but hit me up any time via PM and I'll give you whatever advice I can.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to you!

My $.02.

Smiley

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
December 02, 2013, 10:37:16 PM

Im not sure what i got goin on.. i may end up calling an electrician before more mining gear gets here...

Anyone know the cost of getting an electrician to upgrade you to 30 - 50amp?  Whats everyone's experience?

Well I've been thinking about this also. 

I used this calculator to calculate my wattage.:  http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/volts-watts-amps-converter

The one I've seen, for instance, indicate 1050 watts, so they are pulling about 8.75 amps on standard 110-120 V AC current.  That shouldn't overload a circuit, although depending on what else is on it, you might have to be careful about where you plug it in or you'll be dumping the circuit if something else kicks in.  You'll have to check your breaker panel to find a decent circuit to run it from.  Bottom line, I'd run it off a 20 amp and limit what else is running on that circuit if at all possible.

you will cut your energy consumption if you can run on 220-240, which will depend on your unit.  That's monayz in the bank, so you may want to call an electrician to run you a dedicated circuit for that purpose.  Cost?  Dunno.  That will depend on a lot of things.  Among them:

1.  Will your panel accept this sort of breaker
2.  Does your panel have room for this breaker
3.  How long is the run from the panel to where you want to run this thing

etc., etc., etc.  Bottom line if you want to do this you'll probably have to have an electrician out to give you an estimate.

Activity: 857
Anger is a gift.
December 02, 2013, 10:11:29 PM
I personally am running a 20 amp fuse, not breaker. I have an old house, like 1952, and live in the Southern US.

As far as an electrician and wiring, that depends on a number of factors. Local codes, how big your place is, max amps your house can pull, and 500 more.

I don't have that much mining gear now. Only running a 1000w and 750w PSU now.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 02, 2013, 08:53:33 PM

Anyone know the cost of getting an electrician to upgrade you to 30 - 50amp?  Whats everyone's experience?
Pages:
Jump to: