Pages:
Author

Topic: [Resolved] MtGox mishandled sensitive AML info. - page 2. (Read 14583 times)

BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Now back to Mt. Gox.

Have really still not responded here or to TC directly through support??
BCB
vip
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Charlie,

Avoid the FUD.

I think a point was made and the point when taken.

When you post here you are seen not only a member of one of leading (legitimate) bitcoin business but also as a founding corporate board member of the Bitcoin Foundation (regardless of how you sign your posts).

I for one am glad that you are as responsive to your clients and to the community as you are.  Unfortunately you are only one of the few bitcoin businesses (bitpay ... [sorry if I leave out others] that have a clue about customer service and public relations.  I would hope you could use this knowledge and your position as a member of the Foundation,  to encourage the other bitcoin businesses (including Mt. Gox) to try to maintain the same level of professionalism.

Isn't that part of what the Bitcoin Foundation all about?

Thanks.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
However, thats not the issue, so please do not try and divert the debate.

I brought it back around to Mtgox, as evidenced by my last post. They're obviously incompetent and I suggest everyone use other means to move their bitcoins around.
legendary
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
I don't see to much defending besides saying that it was an honest mistake.

It's obvious incompetence, not an honest mistake.

That was the issue.

Yes, and that is your opinion.

However, thats not the issue, so please do not try and divert the debate.

SaltySpitoon is making the point that you were wrong about saying I defended them, which is extremely clear that I did not.

Even though I disagree with you, and my statement on Page 1 clearly shows I was not defending them, for the sake of not arguing, I cleared up my statement.

Just like I clarified my statement, so should you.

You keep making this point that Im defending them, when I've said at least 4 times now I am not. Please stop making that point.

We have a difference of opinion:

I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

Calling it gross incompetence may be out of line. While your information is extremely sensitive, even you could have made the same mistake if you were in their position.

That's a defense, Charlie. It's a classic apologia. The fact that you interjected on this thread at all re: another company is evidence of defense.

Mtgox's actions are gross incompetence. It's moving beyond incompetence into outright dickishness.

Be very careful of what you appear to defend.

The proof that I am not defending them:

They just moved to a new office like 2 weeks ago, and probably forgot to update the address on that page of their website.

Although its their fault, I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

Calling it gross incompetence may be out of line. While your information is extremely sensitive, even you could have made the same mistake if you were in their position.

To rectify the situation, I suggest MtGox pay for the shipping costs all 3 times. If I were in your shoes, that would make me happy.

Also, the AML rules are not their own, they have to follow the standard of both Japan and the USA (Japan being much more strict) but it allows them to stay operationally legal in both jurisdictions.

and my clarification...

Reposted my edit above:

There have been numerous claims that BitInstant is defending MtGox on this issue. This is not the case. What happend here is totally unacceptable and I've even said I think MtGox should pay financially to this customer for the problems.

At the same time, as of now, I am the only one who got in touch with MtGox on behalf of the OP and told them that I believe this is unacceptable.

BitInstant defends the right of every Bitcoiner, regardless if they are a customer of ours or not.

I apologize of my original comment was not clear enough

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

That was the issue.
I even disagree on that one.  It's an honest mistake the first time, and when it was first pointed out.  It's incompetence that they aren't properly responding and rectifying the situation by now.

That was the issue.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
Why the hell is the focus of this thread no longer on the issue that the OP and others are having with Gox, and now on Bitinstant?

Perhaps because Bitinstant's CEO appeared to defend Mtgox's actions instead of Mtgox/Mark showing up on the thread?

Charlie's fixed his end of the deal, imo. I have little hope that Mtgox will do the same.

I see in his original post before he fixed it, "Its their fault", "Calling it gross incompetence may be out of line", and "To rectify the situation, I suggest MtGox pay for the shipping costs all 3 times."

Why the hell is the focus of this thread no longer on the issue that the OP and others are having with Gox, and now on Bitinstant?

Perhaps because Bitinstant's CEO appeared to defend Mtgox's actions instead of Mtgox/Mark showing up on the thread?

Charlie's fixed his end of the deal, imo. I have little hope that Mtgox will do the same.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
Why the hell is the focus of this thread no longer on the issue that the OP and others are having with Gox, and now on Bitinstant? I'm pretty sure Charlie basically said, that things happen, and now its Gox's turn to fix it. He wasn't letting them off the hook, just saying a mistake had been made, and now its time for Gox to fix it. No defending Gox, no attacking Gox, just saying they didn't change the address, so they should fix the entire situation...

The Original Quote from Charlie before he clarified.

They just moved to a new office like 2 weeks ago, and probably forgot to update the address on that page of their website.

Although its their fault, I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

To rectify the situation, I suggest MtGox pay for the shipping costs all 3 times. If I were in your shoes, that would make me happy.

Also, the AML rules are not their own, they have to follow the standard of both Japan and the USA (Japan being much more strict) but it allows them to stay operationally legal in both jurisdictions.

In short, It was a mistake that happened, now its time for Gox to pay for the shipping due to their mistake, and fix the situation. Am I not reading deep enough into his words to see the underlying conspiracy?
legendary

Granted. I made my position more clear.

You keep making this point that Im defending them, when I've said at least 4 times now I am not. Please stop making that point.

We have a difference of opinion:

I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

That's a defense, Charlie. It's a classic apologia. The fact that you interjected on this thread at all re: another company is evidence of defense.

Mtgox's actions are gross incompetence. It's moving beyond incompetence into outright dickishness.

legendary
Reposted my edit above:

There have been numerous claims that BitInstant is defending MtGox on this issue. This is not the case. What happend here is totally unacceptable and I've even said I think MtGox should pay financially to this customer for the problems.

At the same time, as of now, I am the only one who got in touch with MtGox on behalf of the OP and told them that I believe this is unacceptable.

BitInstant defends the right of every Bitcoiner, regardless if they are a customer of ours or not.

I apologize of my original comment was not clear enough
legendary
While all of you are complaining and throwing me under the bus,

It would have been nice if you came on this thread and said, "This is unacceptable!" and been done with it instead of defending Mtgox.

Ok, I think my comments in my original response were not clear enough, I will update it now. Thanks for your point.

The CEO of one company defending another CEO and fellow BF board member looks crooked, Charlie. If you can't see that, there's little that I can do to further elucidate the situation for you.

Read my earlier comments, I am not defending them.
While all of you are complaining and throwing me under the bus,

Incorrect. We're trying to hold accountable the people that we do business with. If you see it as "being thrown under the bus" and legitimate grievances as mere complaints, perhaps you should stay away from customer service. It would have been nice if you came on this thread and said, "This is unacceptable!" and been done with it instead of defending Mtgox.

The CEO of one company defending another CEO and fellow BF board member looks crooked, Charlie. If you can't see that, there's little that I can do to further elucidate the situation for you.
If the BF fights excessive centralization with two board members serving mt gox interests like twins, the BF is starting off the wrong foot.

My conclusion also.

I already did, you should read the earlier messages

I did. They caused to me ask for a refund from the BF and a termination of my lifetime membership.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
In cryptography we trust
Meanwhile at MtGox... This is wrong. No reply after 24 hours.

BTW here is another current customer problem, which is handled rather unprofessional and is still not fixed after 2 months:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/solved-64-day-mtgox-extreme-delay-112922

Don't want to give up on MtGox (yet) but it is really not a good sign if you keep neglecting your customers like this.
legendary

You mean Director. You used plural Directors.

Mark's a director also. Plus you, that makes two directors. Two is plural.

A director of the BF runs the biggest and most fucked up BTC exchange on the net. Another director, you, is covering for his fuck ups by saying "shit happens". You both share corporate seats on the BF's board of directors.

Can you at least admit that you can see why this might reflect poorly?

+1
If the BF fights excessive centralization with two board members serving mt gox interests like twins, the BF is starting off the wrong foot.

Im not defending MtGox, and I have nothing to do with this situation except help the OP, which is why I'm here.

While all of you are complaining and throwing me under the bus, take a step back to realize that I'm the only one here who actually called MtGox and told them of the situation. I showed them this thread and let them know they need to be on top of their shit and fix the address at the same time take care of the OP.

Again, this has nothing to do with me and I would easily have walked away from this thread.

I want OP's issue to be resolved, and thats good enough reason for me to be here.

-Charlie
legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr

A director of the BF runs the biggest and most fucked up BTC exchange on the net. Another director, you, is covering for his fuck ups by saying "shit happens". You both share corporate seats on the BF's board of directors.

+1
legendary

I already did, you should read the earlier messages

Charlie,

Instead of sticking up for your buddy at Mt Gox maybe you could message them and give them a lesson customer relations, which you and your team seem to do so well  (seriously) in responding publicly to customer issues.

I find it surprising that you've now responded several time to this thread and we have yet to hear from Mt. Gox.

Is is a slow days at the office?

See below....

Agreed. I'm not defending them. Just saying, shit happens. We are not perfect.

Thanks for the kind words about our customer support  Grin

Right now, its 2am in Japan, thats probably why we have not heard back from them.

I did tell Mark that he should see this thread, and gave him the link an hour ago.

It's a crazy day at the office!!

Are you responding in an official capacity as a member of the Bitcoin Foundation.

Just curious.

lol, no.

If I was, I'd sign with "Charlie, Bitcoin Foundation"

-Charlie, BitInstant

Awww look, it's the TBF incrowd downplaying each other's mistakes!  Roll Eyes

Each others mistakes? I only see one problem that OP has with Gox. Nothing to do with me.

Your grammar needs correcting.

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: