Pages:
Author

Topic: [Resolved] MtGox mishandled sensitive AML info. - page 3. (Read 14583 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
If Gox pays for the hassel, then I think all should be forgiven. It's not acceptable, but this sort of stuff happens. I'd rather a company gracefully correct their mistakes then claim to never make mistakes.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Lead Core BitKitty Developer

I am beyond furious right now.  

They just moved to a new office like 2 weeks ago, and probably forgot to update the address on that page of their website.

Although its their fault, I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

Calling it gross incompetence may be out of line. While your information is extremely sensitive, even you could have made the same mistake if you were in their position.

Awww look, it's the TBF incrowd downplaying each other's mistakes!  Roll Eyes
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
Bleh, we need new business so we can finish putting this one out of our misery.
Too unfortunate that it is our misery, not their.

May I suggest Bitfloor (although it got a bad start) or Bitstamp.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers

I am beyond furious right now.  

They just moved to a new office like 2 weeks ago, and probably forgot to update the address on that page of their website.

Although its their fault, I wouldn't be too pissed off because its an easy mistake to overlook and can happen to anyone.

Calling it gross incompetence may be out of line. While your information is extremely sensitive, even you could have made the same mistake if you were in their position.

This is blowing my mind. Of course a private person responsible for only their own stuff could give a wrong shipping address! Why does that matter at all? Beyond that if I a wrong shipping address it 100% automatically falls on me, I don't get my stuff.

Also how can they overlook it? Aren't other people sending documents there? After a month you would think they might go "Huh, we don't get documents now that we moved".

Bleh, we need new business so we can finish putting this one out of our misery.
Activity: 476

You mean Director. You used plural Directors.

Mark's a director also. Plus you, that makes two directors. Two is plural.

A director of the BF runs the biggest and most fucked up BTC exchange on the net. Another director, you, is covering for his fuck ups by saying "shit happens". You both share corporate seats on the BF's board of directors.

Can you at least admit that you can see why this might reflect poorly?

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
You could try posting about this on /r/Bitcoin.  For some reason, their staff sometimes respond more quickly over there.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

I don't know how much louder they can say  .... FUCK YOU CUSTOMERS. 

Yep.

I've asked the Bitcoin Foundation for a refund of my lifetime membership fee. I don't wish to associate with or support this kind of behavior from directors of the foundation.

You mean Director. You used plural Directors.

Thanks.
Activity: 476

I don't know how much louder they can say  .... FUCK YOU CUSTOMERS. 

Yep.

I've asked the Bitcoin Foundation for a refund of my lifetime membership fee. I don't wish to associate with or support this kind of behavior from directors of the foundation.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Well I would add it has been 12 hours since MtGox was informed of the wrong address on their site and the website STILL HAS THE wrong address.  

I don't know how much louder they can say  .... "FUCK YOU CUSTOMERS. You exist to give us money and we have no responsibility to you."  

I mean Yankee says it isn't gross incompetence well even if that is true (which I adamantly disagree) it certainly is gross negligence when informed on the negligence and you take no action to correct it.  When someone reports the fact that you have blatantly wrong information on your site which is causing people to send sensitive personal information to a wrong address, get off your lazy ass and at least DELETE THE FUCKING PAGE.  Period.

On edit:  Cleaned up some blatantly bad spelling and grammar (bad even for me)  Typing while infuriated is harder than it seems.  
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
MtGox has a bad history, but still the highest volume exchange.. Last time I logued on MtGox, it was to remove all my funds, because I do not trut this entity anymore.. Bad new, I had to send 2 IDs pic to be able to withdraw all my BTC.. less than 1k.. no U$ involved, I've been unable to get my BTC before sending IDs.. I tought it was really bad, but as I wanted my BTC, I sent IDs..

You can be sure I'll never do business with MtGox again, why ? 

1 - IDs required to withdraw BTC ?? No thanks

2 - Biggest exchange, I vote for less centralisation of exchanges

3 - to many bad story about MtGox

4 - Trading manually or with my "self coded scalp-bot", I've seen too many trade error, trades that should have occur/commit and did not.. 

was my personal story / opinion !

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
BCB
vip
BCJ
Uh Oh!  smoothie found us.  There goes the neighborhood.  It's been nice having a semi-intelligent conversation on bitcointalk.
There is a great book called "The Paypal Wars" which details many of the obstacles Paypal had to overcome in launching and maintaining their nascent startup that makes for a facinating read for anyone interested in this subject.  Obstacles like scammers, illicit use and Govt regulations which are not unlike what bitcoin is facing today.  However true to what repentance says paypal would never have become what it did with out first having the ebay market and then being acquired by ebay.   - Bitcoin is still looking for its ebay.

I think it's also something of a cautionary tale.  PayPal is monumentally successful but it hasn't really remained true to Thiel's original vision of becoming the financial payments system of the world or addressing the inequality of wealth distribution. 
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
What mtgox now outsourcing to Inida like Dell does?

Me no speakA any engurish!  Cheesy
BCB
vip
BCJ
There is a great book called "The Paypal Wars" which details many of the obstacles Paypal had to overcome in launching and maintaining their nascent startup that makes for a facinating read for anyone interested in this subject.  Obstacles like scammers, illicit use and Govt regulations which are not unlike what bitcoin is facing today.  However true to what repentance says paypal would never have become what it did with out first having the ebay market and then being acquired by ebay.   - Bitcoin is still looking for its ebay.

uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Sounds like a nice little sign on their door at their old place that just says (in Japanese) MtGox has moved. Please forward all deliveries to: ___(new address)___ ... There, problem solved.  Surely the new tenant would appreciate not having to answer the question over and over, "They moved. No, we Don't know where"... so they should appreciate/allow a simple sign on the door.

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Or over a month ago, see https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/curious-about-mtgox-110356
BCB
vip
BCJ
In the US MSB are required to post bonds from $0 to $500,000 per state so the process it not possible for a bootstrap company with out deep pocketed and/or connected investors (Dwolla).

Are the requirements Paymium were required to comply with as costly in the EU/France?

repentance

while this was not a ruling on bitcoin that fact that the "nature" of bitcoin was not relevant in the French ruling is relevant for the fact that some say bitoin is not a "currency", not a "stored value" and not "prepaid access" (US FinCEN TERMS) but merely cryptographically signed messages (or merely a digital notary service) would not fly.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
davout

was not aware of that specific ruling.  Thanks for posting (and translating).  Does this ruling set a precedent for for other county rulings?  Is this the only legal ruling on bitcoin??  
I don't know if there are other rulings, I believe not outside of this series (a couple of preliminary rulings were made prior to this one, but they are all summed up in the one I posted which is the final ruling).

I don't know if this ruling sets a precedent.

What I know is that the legislation is supposed to be consistent accross Europe, Paymium (the company I work for) got some specialized legal advice regarding this matter, and we found that in order to operate the Bitcoin-Central exchange securely (as in secure for our users fiat funds), we had to implement some legal compliance steps that go way beyond implementing some KYC/AML/CTF procedures according to the Payment Services Providers and Electronic Money Services European regulations.

I'm pretty sure Mark has said before that they intend to seek licensing as a money service business in the US but that it's a process which happens at state level and is quite expensive.
I don't believe this to be true, the MSB registration form is fillable online and it's like two pages long. And if Bitinstant did it, and if karpeles threw 10kBTC at the Bitcoin Foundation I really see no excuse for mtgox to at least try it.

If you read the whole court ruling you'll see that at some points karpeles outright lies to the court, so I would take his word with a grain of salt.

Page 7
Whether or not they're currently licensed in the US has no impact on their obligations to comply with Japanese AML/CTF/KYC requirements
Again, these regulations are relevant to licensed financial institutions, and their contractual partners. I have no proof that mtgox is not a contractual partner of a licensed financial institution (absence of proof is obviously not a proof of absence) but I feel that if they did land such a partnership they would have at least bragged about it, and they would be required to include it in their ToS.

If you look at institutions like PayPal, you'll see that they can be licensed very differently from one location to the next - here, they're regulated as an authorised deposit-taking institution and regulated under the Banking Act - and that the restrictions on their operations vary by jurisdiction.
Again, what bothers me here is not that mtgox is unlicensed, it is that they appear to not even try (remember if Bitinstant did it, why would mtgox fail if it tried).
Pages:
Jump to: