Pages:
Author

Topic: [Review] Avalon 4.1 Miner- Summer Mining - Notlist3d - page 5. (Read 14366 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
They promote these miners with "Avalon4.1 4.2T Suite". Okay, 4.2 Th.... They also write: "Mining speed can reach 1.3THs". So 3*1.3=3.9 Where are the missing 0.3 th/s?

So in the best of all cases, you get 3.9 Th/s for 6 BTC. But still have to buy PSUs. Has anybody ever reached 3.9?

Okay  these miners are all about quiet not hashrate.

I can get as high as 1.2th but like spondoolies  sp20's higher clocks burn more power per gh.

So if you have free power and want to overclock them tell me I will do a 2 unit 6 hour overclock test for you.

I am at 1637  and 880 watts for 2 units as sound is my absolute most important issue.  next is power I am at 0.5375 watts a gh

here I am on a freq 20.94 2 unit under clock

If the noise is the issue, they should promote this - but they do promote the hashrate. It's as if I sell you a house with five rooms, but you see it has only four, and the seller tells you with some bricks and skills, you can build a fifth room - maybe. But never mind, the main issue is that the house has four doors.

Okay I tell you what I will set it higher and see what we can mine.

I bumped freq from 20.94 to 26.74  I am running 1 not 2 units.

But don't burn your house down! I don't want to have trouble with your wife!!!
 Yeah neither do I!!

2 units now 2 psu's each about 800 watts so 1600 watts total for 2300 gh   or .69 watts per gh.

So just like the sp20  power use jumps faster then the hash rate.

I was 1600 gh and 860 watts = .5375 watts per gh     I am not sure I want to push past the present settings.  note I cranked the volts to 8625.  gear is still pretty quiet

Now   2308 gh and 1600 watts = .69 watts per gh

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
They promote these miners with "Avalon4.1 4.2T Suite". Okay, 4.2 Th.... They also write: "Mining speed can reach 1.3THs". So 3*1.3=3.9 Where are the missing 0.3 th/s?

So in the best of all cases, you get 3.9 Th/s for 6 BTC. But still have to buy PSUs. Has anybody ever reached 3.9?

I can get as high as 1.2th but like spondoolies  sp20's higher clocks burn more power per gh.

So if you have free power and want to overclock them tell me I will do a 2 unit 6 hour overclock test for you.

I am at 1637  and 880 watts for 2 units as sound is my absolute most important issue.  next is power I am at 0.5375 watts a gh

If the noise is the issue, they should promote this - but they do promote the hashrate. It's as if I sell you a house with five rooms, but you see it has only four, and the seller tells you with some bricks and skills, you can build a fifth room - maybe. But never mind, the main issue is that the house has four doors.

I bumped freq from 20.94 to 26.74  I am running 1 not 2 units.

But don't burn your house down! I don't want to have trouble with your wife!!!
legendary

I bumped freq from 20.94 to 26.74  I am running 1 not 2 units.

legendary

legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I don't think a Raspberry Pi USB does well with an unpowered hub. The power that a Raspberry Pi USB port can supply is very limited. While it may have worked with 1 device, and the hub itself, adding devices will just drag down the +5V that the Raspberry Pi tries to supply to the hub. Maybe the Avalon is REALLY low current and it will all work just fine. I just know things get unreliable real quick when the +5V on a Raspberry Pi isn't nice and well regulated at 5.0 (or a smidge higher). I had a variety of reliability problems with a Raspberry Pi setup and a hub, and they all just disappeared when I supplied the hub and the Pi from an ATX +5v line. Fighting power problems is REALLY frustrating in my experience.

That might be a issue if it was a USB stick miner and getting power from it.  But it seems to work fine with a unpowered with one perfect.

Hopefully in a week or two I have the more units and can confirm it works fine with regular non-powered usb hub.  But if needed I have a few from the ASIC Miner stick miner days in my parts I can use.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
I don't think a Raspberry Pi USB does well with an unpowered hub. The power that a Raspberry Pi USB port can supply is very limited. While it may have worked with 1 device, and the hub itself, adding devices will just drag down the +5V that the Raspberry Pi tries to supply to the hub. Maybe the Avalon is REALLY low current and it will all work just fine. I just know things get unreliable real quick when the +5V on a Raspberry Pi isn't nice and well regulated at 5.0 (or a smidge higher). I had a variety of reliability problems with a Raspberry Pi setup and a hub, and they all just disappeared when I supplied the hub and the Pi from an ATX +5v line. Fighting power problems is REALLY frustrating in my experience.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
I am preparing a little bit ahead.    In next week or two I will be testing more then one. So today one of my goals was to test a usb hub.

I ended up going to my parts closet and found a 5 port usb non-powered hub (generic inexpensive hub).  Plug it into Raspberry Pi and then the one Avalon 4.1 I have into it.  Worked perfect It's now mining away on a hub, did not slow down mining or any bad things.   

Just plug them in chain like Philipma explain!  Wink  You can run up to 127 avalon in chain.  Grin
legendary
I am preparing a little bit ahead.    In next week or two I will be testing more then one. So today one of my goals was to test a usb hub.

I ended up going to my parts closet and found a 5 port usb non-powered hub (generic inexpensive hub).  Plug it into Raspberry Pi and then the one Avalon 4.1 I have into it.  Worked perfect It's now mining away on a hub, did not slow down mining or any bad things.   

they can daisychain using only 1 usb port.

I ran 3 all daisy chained 
legendary

legendary
Sounds like a very engineered miner Smiley

Maybe in the future i will own one or 2, but the efficiency will be worse with newer miners... time will tell!

It is a very well engineered miner.   As far as current gen it's hard to beat if you go to the extreme overclock not many can go to .4X range.   I currently am in .5X range as it seems pretty well balanced on getting around 950 GHs and using not to much electricity.
legendary
Have my summer plan drawn out.  Still need to work on it and buy some things.  But the exhaust system will be enough for my "hobby".  Just wanted to make sure I was not paying for AC on my miners.   

This miner will end up there eventually. I'm guessing it will take me around a month or so with free time to complete wiring, fan's and exhust.  Will be first time I have not put miners in multiple areas.  It's kinda on back burner not my main project right now.

As far as this review hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so I will have another one or two to test and show multiple working together.

Could you elaborate on the "exhaust" that you have worked out? I completely understand the idea of exhausting the hot/warm air. What is it replaced with? Outside air? Or is replaced with AC cooled air?

Currently my miners are where AC can be used to cool them down.  But I've started to get quotes on electricity to put them all in one area.   

If I have all in one area my plan is to use enough CFM to keep hot exhaust going out and replace the air.   I current plan is a high cfm fan to help it work.   One duct bringing in outside air, a inline fan up in air taking hot air and it leading to a duct fan to exhaust.

This could change greatly as i get it done and see how it works in real world.   And if all else fails I can leave miners where they are but then AC is being used.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Sounds like a very engineered miner Smiley

Maybe in the future i will own one or 2, but the efficiency will be worse with newer miners... time will tell!
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
Have my summer plan drawn out.  Still need to work on it and buy some things.  But the exhaust system will be enough for my "hobby".  Just wanted to make sure I was not paying for AC on my miners.   

This miner will end up there eventually. I'm guessing it will take me around a month or so with free time to complete wiring, fan's and exhust.  Will be first time I have not put miners in multiple areas.  It's kinda on back burner not my main project right now.

As far as this review hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so I will have another one or two to test and show multiple working together.

Could you elaborate on the "exhaust" that you have worked out? I completely understand the idea of exhausting the hot/warm air. What is it replaced with? Outside air? Or is replaced with AC cooled air?
legendary
Standard power supply with 4 PCI-E 6 Pin adapters (up to 1000 watts depending on setting, also at underclocked you only need 2 PCI-e cables(One on each blade).)

so the power connectors are bridged on each blade; sp20 has 1conector for 2asics

how many units can you connect to a Raspberry Pi?

does the miner have a buzzer? like the s3....

The two blades each have their own PCI-e power connecters.    If you OC'ed you would need all 4 but since I'm running a underclock at around 550 Watts it just is not needed.

On units you can control Ehash describe it as "You can also manage 13 clusters by connecting controllers to USB HUB, with hash rate up to 152T.".   In real life I was running 1 and it used around 3 percent of CPU of Raspberry PI.  In next week or two when I have another to test with I will give a better idea of what happens to Raspberry PI with more then 1 unit.  (I am thinking it's safe to say it's more then a individual will ever use, but I cannot verify that).

No buzzer that I have heard also it would take away from the quiet if it had one.  The usb cord and front panel let you know if it's working fine with using the lights.  Also if you had a bad unit, and lots hooked up in the software it allows you to turn off the led so you could find which unit it is.

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Standard power supply with 4 PCI-E 6 Pin adapters (up to 1000 watts depending on setting, also at underclocked you only need 2 PCI-e cables(One on each blade).)

so the power connectors are bridged on each blade; sp20 has 1conector for 2asics

how many units can you connect to a Raspberry Pi?

does the miner have a buzzer? like the s3....
legendary

legendary
More to come with this review.   Today I ended up moving it to one of my mining areas.   In my room I had it in the corner to close to wall heat was building up from exhaust going at a corner in 70ish degree ambient.  Nothing dangerous just uncomfortable when windows were closed.  The summer weather seems to finally be coming.

I moved some miners around. Now it is sending exhaust outside and seems happy Smiley.
legendary
I still have some more things to try out.  I have been happy with testing right now it has been easier then I planned with colder weather then I expected.

But I am happy with results of running the Raspberry Pi with the custom ddwrt Avalon image.  It has been very stable.  I don't think I will even try the TP-Link as I'm so happy with Raspberry PI.

On a side note if you do go TP-Link route make sure to get the newer model: TP-LINK TL-WR703N  I thought I had 2 sitting in my part's but TP-LINK TL-WR702 has no usb besides the one to power it. So no full usb to connect the Avalon to.
Pages:
Jump to: