Pages:
Author

Topic: [Review] Avalon 6 Miner - Winter Mining - Notlist3d - Also FAQ and Help - page 24. (Read 79151 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions. I have a different Pi, new SDCard and new rig, and it seems to be working OK. So, no way to really tell at this point what the issue is. Tonight I'll spend some time solving for 'x' and see what it comes down to.

Still have one unsolved question, however. I've tried to install screen on the image with no luck, so is there another way to either install screen or otherwise be able to view the cgminer console? I prefer to watch my rigs like that as they give me much more info without having to refresh the webpage.

Also, has anyone tried copying the cgminer binary from the OpenWrt image and put it on Minera as a custom miner? I may give that a shot tonight as well - moar graphs are always a good thing.

Thanks!

Have not seen it on Minera.   The ones I have seen were always based on open wrt.  They have done tplink version, and RPI.  And one day I think RPI 2 is in future.

But have not seen Minera.  Would be interesting if you got it to work.  I don't think we have seen a lot of mod's of firmware as far as Avalon 4.1's and 6's.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions. I have a different Pi, new SDCard and new rig, and it seems to be working OK. So, no way to really tell at this point what the issue is. Tonight I'll spend some time solving for 'x' and see what it comes down to.

Still have one unsolved question, however. I've tried to install screen on the image with no luck, so is there another way to either install screen or otherwise be able to view the cgminer console? I prefer to watch my rigs like that as they give me much more info without having to refresh the webpage.

Also, has anyone tried copying the cgminer binary from the OpenWrt image and put it on Minera as a custom miner? I may give that a shot tonight as well - moar graphs are always a good thing.

Thanks!
legendary
Can I please ask for some help here?

Anyone having an issue where the webUI doesn't show any miners but it's mining? Also, once I SSH to the rig, how do I take a look at the cgminer console? How about cgminer-monitor restarting every 5 minutes? (I commented out the cgminer-monitor in crontab) Man, without being able to see any of the ASIC info or the console trying to troubleshoot this is a real problem. Anyone had any luck running these rigs using Minera?

Mon Dec 14 22:15:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 970 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mon Dec 14 22:20:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 1121 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mon Dec 14 22:25:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 1226 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor

Thanks!

PS. I just re-imaged clean using the image in the OP, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem...

Same issue here rootdude. I have two of mine doing this about once a week. A hard reboot of pi and PSU usually works. But, twice now I have had to re-image and re-configure to get them showing the connected miner and mining info. Weird one. Have not figured out completely yet.

Interesting it should detect them.  I would try what Phil suggested first.  If that does not work try this (just a guess) but see what happens if you turn power on to miners with RPI off.  Then turn RPI on with them on.

It should detect it without doing that but I wonder if it makes a difference for you.  Mine had a hard day the power was off so electric company could cut tree's.   It was fine after I was not there to do anything.  So that was good.  But they did survive a power outage and turning on.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

Anyone having an issue where the webUI doesn't show any miners but it's mining? Also, once I SSH to the rig, how do I take a look at the cgminer console? How about cgminer-monitor restarting every 5 minutes? (I commented out the cgminer-monitor in crontab) Man, without being able to see any of the ASIC info or the console trying to troubleshoot this is a real problem. Anyone had any luck running these rigs using Minera?

Mon Dec 14 22:15:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 970 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mon Dec 14 22:20:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 1121 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mon Dec 14 22:25:01 2015 cron.info crond[404]: crond: USER root pid 1226 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor

Thanks!

PS. I just re-imaged clean using the image in the OP, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem...

Same issue here rootdude. I have two of mine doing this about once a week. A hard reboot of pi and PSU usually works. But, twice now I have had to re-image and re-configure to get them showing the connected miner and mining info. Weird one. Have not figured out completely yet.
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'

Thanks!

Restart the miners and it should come back.  I have had it happen on hard power off and power up.

I go to configuration page of the gui .  I then set freq at 500 and change fan by 1 say 25 move it to 26 save and apply and it comes ups with both miners.

This issue seems to occur with power off psu and then power on the psu

Thanks!

legendary
Fantastic results.  How many Avalon and S7 you have running your garage now that it drove the temp up almost 20 degrees?  I noticed you have fire proof blankets covering your miners, is it still that loud even thru the garage? Yes, I really like the new j4bbrwock board you reviewed.  I ordered the older one but it will still serve what I need well.  Can't wait to see the results on my Avalon with the Dell 750 and these 2 x 2K IBM PSU w j4bbrwock boards.  

Well remember it was 72f in NJ yesterday.  My home is really very well insulated due to DIY work I did from 1992 to 1999.  I changed out my home from Aluminum electrical wires to copper and since I put more then 100 holes in all the walls to do it I insulated the entire home.

So if you make an kind of in home heat it does not leave the house unless the weather is very cold.

This 1 psu can do 17 amps so 17 x 240 = 4080 watts.    the  2 x 2000 watt psu's

4080 watts = just about 14,000 btu's

1 s-7
2 avalon 6's
Damn ya'll need some colder weather up there like I wish we had down here in the South as well!  It was in the 80's (F) this past weekend.  If you were to buy 10 miners to host at a hosting facility would you still prefer the Avalon 6, or is the S7 just better for pure hashing, and profitabilty?  I have given up trying to run many Avalons with my own set up just because I can't supply enough cold air.

if I had a nearby reliable hosting service  would I do all s-7 or all avalon 6's.

Neither I would do more s-7's and less avalon 6's  .

Say 7 to 3 ratio. 

7 s-7's   and 3 avalon 6's .

Always a bit paranoid I like the idea of multiple choice in gear.

If I was doing it based on price and nothing else 10 s-7's at the current prices available.
legendary
Activity: 1174
Merit: 1001
Fantastic results.  How many Avalon and S7 you have running your garage now that it drove the temp up almost 20 degrees?  I noticed you have fire proof blankets covering your miners, is it still that loud even thru the garage? Yes, I really like the new j4bbrwock board you reviewed.  I ordered the older one but it will still serve what I need well.  Can't wait to see the results on my Avalon with the Dell 750 and these 2 x 2K IBM PSU w j4bbrwock boards.  

Well remember it was 72f in NJ yesterday.  My home is really very well insulated due to DIY work I did from 1992 to 1999.  I changed out my home from Aluminum electrical wires to copper and since I put more then 100 holes in all the walls to do it I insulated the entire home.

So if you make an kind of in home heat it does not leave the house unless the weather is very cold.

1 s-7
2 avalon 6's
Damn ya'll need some colder weather up there like I wish we had down here in the South as well!  It was in the 80's (F) this past weekend.  If you were to buy 10 miners to host at a hosting facility would you still prefer the Avalon 6, or is the S7 just better for pure hashing, and profitabilty?  I have given up trying to run many Avalons with my own set up just because I can't supply enough cold air.
legendary

1 s-7
2 avalon 6's
Activity: 196
legendary
Awesome work Phillip!!  Wow very very nice HASH RATE.  We'll wait for more of your data to determine the sweet spot for both OC rate and stability.  3.9TH is very nice!  Curious to know how many watts it's pulling at 12.3 / 12.4 Volts like you're doing for this Hash rate since you have the total wattage # with the S7 included.

I did the avalon pair got 11 amps  I did all the units got 17 amps

so the avalon pair most likely is using 11 amps x 240 volts = 2640 watts to give 7900gh = .33 watts a gh.  at the wall

and the s-7 is using 6 amps x 240 volts = 1440 watts for 5000gh = .288 watts a gh.

I have heat issues as  the garage was 88f  as the temps outside are simply way too warm for perfect testing.

I had to downclock last night  to cool the bedroom off to sleep.

I love the product that finsky + j4bbrwock is selling soon. 
Awesome work Phillip!!  Wow very very nice HASH RATE.  We'll wait for more of your data to determine the sweet spot for both OC rate and stability.  3.9TH is very nice!  Curious to know how many watts it's pulling at 12.3 / 12.4 Volts like you're doing for this Hash rate since you have the total wattage # with the S7 included.
legendary
Phillip is doing an excellent review on the 2K IBM PSU with higher voltage for both Avalon and S7 so really excited to see the results on whether he's able to keep these Avalon at the 3.7-4K TH stable with the 12.7 Voltage.

I got bored with the middle volt setting of  12.23volts   and I am now testing 12.56 volts  my garage is 88f and outside temp is 63 f normal temps outside at night in NJ for dec are 42f.

so 8 minutes at 12.56 volts  and i am doing 3950 for each avalon 6.

Pretty impressive overclock.  Thanks for sharing.

Do you happen to have the wattage used during that test?  And it's getting cold here to. It's going to get down to 40F here tonight.  I'm starting to need less big fan's running which is a good thing.   A little less overhead.

17 amps at 240 Volts = 4080 watts   it is running one s-7 and two Avalon sixes total hash is 12800 gh

so 4080/12800 = 0.31875 watts pr gh

the pair of sixes

Thanks for sharing!   Intersting that is a pretty nice OC with not losing a ton of efficiency.

Nice to know with right PSU you can really crank them up when you want, during periods like this where it looks like next difficulty change will be  nasty.
legendary
Phillip is doing an excellent review on the 2K IBM PSU with higher voltage for both Avalon and S7 so really excited to see the results on whether he's able to keep these Avalon at the 3.7-4K TH stable with the 12.7 Voltage.

I got bored with the middle volt setting of  12.23volts   and I am now testing 12.56 volts  my garage is 88f and outside temp is 63 f normal temps outside at night in NJ for dec are 42f.

Do you happen to have the wattage used during that test?  And it's getting cold here to. It's going to get down to 40F here tonight.  I'm starting to need less big fan's running which is a good thing.   A little less overhead.

17 amps at 240 Volts = 4080 watts   it is running one s-7 and two Avalon sixes total hash is 12800 gh

so 4080/12800 = 0.31875 watts pr gh

the pair of sixes

Thanks!

legendary

legendary

I got bored with the middle volt setting of  12.23volts   and I am now testing 12.56 volts  my garage is 88f and outside temp is 63 f normal temps outside at night in NJ for dec are 42f.

legendary
I still love this Quiet hard working Avalon.  I have the EVGA PSU FAN facing the Avalon and it actually cools the half facing it.  The other side is quite hot.  So far so good, I reboot it quite a lot to test and the box is very consistent and solid. 

The sound is nice.   Once your done testing you will run for quite a while.  I'm testing mine to see how long.  But a few day's ago I made it over a week.

So once set you really can leave it turned on for a while.
I still love this Quiet hard working Avalon.  I have the EVGA PSU FAN facing the Avalon and it actually cools the half facing it.  The other side is quite hot.  So far so good, I reboot it quite a lot to test and the box is very consistent and solid. 
Pages:
Jump to: