Pages:
Author

Topic: [Review] Avalon 6 Miner - Winter Mining - Notlist3d - Also FAQ and Help - page 44. (Read 79121 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
So if you just lower freq it won't lower hashrate unless you also drop voltage? Or will it lower hashrate keeping same efficiency and lowering voltage is only way to gain better efficiency on underclock?

Trying to figure out if I can run these on my 900w 110v (1200w 220v) hp server psu's on 110 outlets

Also have a couple 1000w atx psu's laying around

You can also drop hashrate from changing chip frequency.  Seeing what it can do via frequency is on the list of to-do's.  Below shows it being set on miner:

As far as PSU as far as stock settings I would not use a 1000 watt PSU as it's pushing so close to that when running.   They recommend 1200 watt or more as far as default settings and I would agree with this.

But yes freq changing is on the to-do list for sure to add to this review.   Which has a video of sound, and a little about the free heat just added to 2nd post.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
So if you just lower freq it won't lower hashrate unless you also drop voltage? Or will it lower hashrate keeping same efficiency and lowering voltage is only way to gain better efficiency on underclock?

Trying to figure out if I can run these on my 900w 110v (1200w 220v) hp server psu's on 110 outlets

Also have a couple 1000w atx psu's laying around
legendary
Glad to finally see a review!  Now I need to decide if i replace the 4.1's with these, or just get 1 A6 to add to the bunch.

It's all going vary by person.  There are some big factors like electricity price.  The A6 is a very nice upgrade on efficiency, which means cheaper electricity bills compared to older gear at same speeds which is always great.

I don't think you can go wrong upgrading.  I still do have my 4.1's I will admit I will have a hard time parting with them, but someday I will.
legendary
Activity: 1173
Merit: 1001
Glad to finally see a review!  Now I need to decide if i replace the 4.1's with these, or just get 1 A6 to add to the bunch.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030
Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!
These thing look sweet i hope to have one in a week or two i like having a stand along controller a lot more then a built in one .

It is a big bonus as far as if anything goes wrong.  If something goes wrong swap out easy with another RPI and no special hardware is needed.  Say you brick a S7 controller then it's not something you can buy off shelf at local store to replace like a RPI.

Also the image I posted from BlockC above is very good.  You could put flash it on a SD card and having a new controller running within minutes.

So true, I know I have 3 or 4 Pi's sitting around.
legendary
These thing look sweet i hope to have one in a week or two i like having a stand along controller a lot more then a built in one .

It is a big bonus as far as if anything goes wrong.  If something goes wrong swap out easy with another RPI and no special hardware is needed.  Say you brick a S7 controller then it's not something you can buy off shelf at local store to replace like a RPI.

Also the image I posted from BlockC above is very good.  You could put flash it on a SD card and having a new controller running within minutes.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Nice review and the more I am reading the more I like the Avalon6 over the S7.

Much prefer the single piece heatsink to the mini heatsinks that the S7 has.
Just 2 hash boards with a clean symmetrical layout, must be better for cooling than a 3 board layout.
Connectors out the back, and only 4 needed much nicer.
Looks like it will run to 4TH with a little bit of overvolt which is quite easy with Server PSU (Much easier than undervolt)
Hopefully the A3218 is more stable than the BM1385 and we are not going to see silly batches.

However  Smiley 3.5TH/s for 995W is 0.284J/GH is bang on spec but not as good as S7 with 0.25J/GH

So big decider for me is how well will it undervolt & underclock with it's auto setting algorithm? Hope you and Phil can make some measurements and see how low in volts it will go and to what degree the J/GH improves?

Rich

yeah I am excited to get my 2 on tues.

I am thinking I can run at 10-11 volts  and freq 350  vs    11.8- 12.2 volts at freq 500  

that would  make this better then the s-7

I want to get under .2  even .198 or .199 would be huge.

It would allow for low fans and low noise making the gear true home miner.

see the 63.6 below too high for in a bedroom.  with a lot of soundproofing I got the s-7's down into the mid 50's

I have a quality sound meter waiting to see if the avalon's will do high 40's with no sound proofing just some undervolt-downclock

legendary
Activity: 1274
10BTC for Avalon 3.5Ths 1050 Watt
4.73BTC for Antminer S7 4.73th/s 1293W

Nice review but S7 is the current best hardware for house miners!  Cheesy

You can get one for way less then 10 BTC if you shop around . Smiley .

do you think they could actually sell these for 10 btc for long !!! .

if price is why the S7 is a better home miner ,Shop around there is shop all over that have them for 1.499, no idea what that 10 btc is on EHash/Avalon's site.

I even thought the S7 was a better deal and better home miner but after asking questions and seeing the reviews, this is.

http://zoomhash.com/collections/bitcoin-asics/products/avalon-6-3-65-ths-shipping-from-stock-in-us
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-6-in-stock-on-hand-ships-within-24-hours-first-5-gets-100-off-1256877
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-6-in-hand-for-immediate-setup-1253588
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Just 2 hash boards with a clean symmetrical layout, must be better for cooling than a 3 board layout.
Looks like it will run to 4TH with a little bit of overvolt which is quite easy with Server PSU (Much easier than undervolt)
Hopefully the A3218 is more stable than the BM1385 and we are not going to see silly batches.

However  Smiley 3.5TH/s for 995W is 0.284J/GH is bang on spec but not as good as S7 with 0.25J/GH

So big decider for me is how well will it undervolt & underclock with it's auto setting algorithm? Hope you and Phil can make some measurements and see how low in volts it will go and to what degree the J/GH improves?

Rich

yeah I am excited to get my 2 on tues.

I am thinking I can run at 10-11 volts  and freq 350  vs    11.8- 12.2 volts at freq 500  

that would  make this better then the s-7

I want to get under .2  even .198 or .199 would be huge.

It would allow for low fans and low noise making the gear true home miner.

see the 63.6 below too high for in a bedroom.  with a lot of soundproofing I got the s-7's down into the mid 50's

I have a quality sound meter waiting to see if the avalon's will do high 40's with no sound proofing just some undervolt-downclock

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030
Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!
Nice review, can't wait for my 2 to show up!!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Rich

I'm thinking the exact same, liking this more I look at it.

And thanks guys for putting this up.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
legendary
Nice review Notlist3d. What are the sound levels like? Please post a video of it hashing, would be really nice.  Wink

Was wonder the same about noise =)

I've got it in my room tonight.  It has a little noise to it but considering how warm my room is right now I'm pretty happy with it considering they are thinking snow tonight were I live.  

I left the to add to part as there is some things I would like to get to such as noise.   But I want to see if I can get a accurate DB level with apps and such.   And a video is not out of question.  Just will be another day.   I am currently running default on fan which is 20 percent.  I wanted to get a baseline before I adjust it up or down.

But I did not forget it Smiley just wanting to give a more accurate anwser then I currently have.   I also would like to look up the room dimension's it's in and tell how much free heat I got from it so that is on the things to do aswell.
I'm still wearing shorts out side whenever i go out it's like 30 degrees out side still not cold enough for me . so one of these won't ever be in my room .

sense this is a post for info you can get the image here to : http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon6/openwrt/latest/

Nice review  Thanks

I did test that image out it was set to static 192.168.0.100 on it's IP.  So if you have a 192.168.0.X IP's on your network it will work great.   If not you have to hook up to it and switch it.  (If anyone needs a guide for that look at part 3 on my Avalon 4.1 review - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/review-avalon-41-miner-summer-mining-notlist3d-1008726 )

The image I posted is from BlockC and is set in DHCP.  So you can just log into it set static like i did in a minute or so.  I'm hoping it will save people a little bit of time.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Nice review Notlist3d. What are the sound levels like? Please post a video of it hashing, would be really nice.  Wink

I've got it in my room tonight.  It has a little noise to it but considering how warm my room is right now I'm pretty happy with it considering they are thinking snow tonight were I live.  

I left the to add to part as there is some things I would like to get to such as noise.   But I want to see if I can get a accurate DB level with apps and such.   And a video is not out of question.  Just will be another day.  

But I did not forget it Smiley just wanting to give a more accurate anwser then I currently have.   I also would like to look up the room dimension's it's in and tell how much free heat I got from it so that is on the things to do aswell.

I wonder if its quieter then the SP20 @ 10% fanspeed.... hrm...
legendary

I left the to add to part as there is some things I would like to get to such as noise.   But I want to see if I can get a accurate DB level with apps and such.   And a video is not out of question.  Just will be another day.   I am currently running default on fan which is 20 percent.  I wanted to get a baseline before I adjust it up or down.

But I did not forget it Smiley just wanting to give a more accurate anwser then I currently have.   I also would like to look up the room dimension's it's in and tell how much free heat I got from it so that is on the things to do aswell.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Nice review Notlist3d. What are the sound levels like? Please post a video of it hashing, would be really nice.  Wink

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Infected Mushroom
Nice review Notlist3d. What are the sound levels like? Please post a video of it hashing, would be really nice.  Wink
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Where am I?
nice.

they look good.

mine comes on tue.

i am looking forward to more info from you.

995  watts for 3500 gh is under .3 watts

.284W/Gh to be more exact.
legendary
nice.

they look good.

mine comes on tue.

995  watts for 3500 gh is under .3 watts

I'm looking foward to yours aswell.  So far it is a very good miner I was impressed with install how quick it went really.

I think there is a lot of possibilities for PSU's with variable voltage.  And also Chip Maximum Frequency which has a range of 100-500, so far using the default 500 to test and get a baseline.  
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
nice.

they look good.

mine comes on tue.

995  watts for 3500 gh is under .3 watts
Pages:
Jump to: