Pages:
Author

Topic: ripple: let's test it! - page 21. (Read 43925 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
February 24, 2013, 05:53:46 AM

Where is the thread where I could tell everyone how awesome I think this project is?

you can make one. could result in interesting discussions.

maybe "boil down what ripple is into one short sentence"
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
February 24, 2013, 04:57:29 AM

Where is the thread where I could tell everyone how awesome I think this project is?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
February 24, 2013, 04:39:12 AM
How does one become a gateway?

If you have to ask, you probably don't have the technical skills, in which case maybe the answer boils down to hire people with the technical skills and let them take care of the technical side.

If you mean how do you get licensed as a money services business, credit union or bank, even your legal team and your chartered accountants might not know that off the top of their heads.

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
February 24, 2013, 02:44:19 AM
I'm not sure about that. Is this really the case (you have to run a rippled to be a gateway)?
You don't literally have to. But you would have a hard time processing withdrawals without running your own server. Theoretically, you could do it if you layered your own software on top of the parts of the client that communicate with the server, but I don't think anyone's done that yet.

You could do it by processing all transactions manually in the regular client, but you couldn't use destination tags, so you'd have a somewhat roundabout process for withdrawals. Someone would have to say "Hey, my Ripple account is X and I want to withdraw Y". You say, "Okay, send me the funds you want to withdraw". Then you match them based on the Ripple account they were sent from.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
February 24, 2013, 02:32:25 AM
Hah, molecular's gateway is taking off. There's a few bids for BTC molecular/XRP...

heh, indeed.

You need to setup a rippled but the source isn't release the last time I checked so right now you can't

I'm not sure about that. Is this really the case (you have to run a rippled to be a gateway)?

Yes, its not out yet. You have to "apply" in a since I think. This is how BitStamp got in.
donator
February 24, 2013, 02:29:43 AM
Hah, molecular's gateway is taking off. There's a few bids for BTC molecular/XRP...

heh, indeed.

You need to setup a rippled but the source isn't release the last time I checked so right now you can't

donator
February 24, 2013, 02:29:08 AM

heh, indeed.

moocowpoing1 was using the term loosely. I'm not a "real" gateway. For one: a "real" gateway doesn't typically trust others (I do). I also don't offer automated withdrawals and stuff like that. Also: I have no fees.
donator
February 24, 2013, 02:27:10 AM

I can't give trust to bitstamp:

And then:

What am I missing?

known bug, restart client and it should work.
donator
February 24, 2013, 02:26:07 AM

It seems to me this thing could make bitcoin-otc obsolete.  Am I wrong?

no, bitcoin-otc deals can involve anything, not just money. Also: I doubt there will be paypal ripple gateways with low fees, for example. Also: ripple gateways are likely going to be subject to KYC, AML, ... rules, which bitcoin-otc provides a way around. Ripple is also not going to be a replacement for localbitcoins.com for that reason.
donator
February 24, 2013, 02:22:57 AM

I went to the 'trade' page, and tried to set up a trade. I am not sure why it shows up under your name?

It got fixed (in the code, don't know if released yet): https://github.com/rippleFoundation/ripple-client/issues/233
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
February 24, 2013, 01:38:38 AM
When I added trust for molecular, it dropped my XRP balance by 1. When I added trust from Timo Y, my balance stayed the same.
The display you see is rounded. Mouseover the balance to see it with full details. It's probably got a .9999x ending on it.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
February 24, 2013, 12:56:43 AM
Looks like you trusted me for 0.01BTC Timo Y. Just reciprocated...

One thing I don't understand:
When I added trust for molecular, it dropped my XRP balance by 1. When I added trust from Timo Y, my balance stayed the same.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
February 23, 2013, 08:14:12 PM
molecular: will you send me 0.01 Ripple BTC if I send you 0.01 Block Chain BTC?

I am:

rG8VFQPaJB2gNjx29Et1wKUJettQP1eLmk

sure. 1K9Q8MsfchVbbkJUe66vW44zHfKRo7HYpS in case it arrived.

Received ripple BTC and sent blockchain BTC!
legendary
Bitcoin
February 23, 2013, 08:05:44 PM

heh, indeed.

Ah I see figured that must be the case thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1498
February 23, 2013, 07:56:30 PM

heh, indeed.

legendary
Bitcoin
February 23, 2013, 07:52:48 PM

heh, indeed.

legendary
Bitcoin
February 23, 2013, 07:52:01 PM
Thanks Joel I'll see if I can still get my head around it from what you said there! As I do see my You've placed an order to sell BTC for XRP, selling .03 BTC for 10,000 XRP per BTC (that is, 300 XRP for your .03 BTC)  now in "order book" so who see's this ? I'm assuming someone out there?
Anyone who looks at the order book will see. Anyone who tries to place a crossing offer will take it (assuming it is or becomes the best offer for that combination on the books). Assuming it's the best offer, anyone who tries to use XRP to pay Bitcoins to someone (possibly themselves) who accepts BitStamp Bitcoins will take it implicitly.

Thanks. Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about here is the flip-side to my above screenshot. Seems that order is out in the wild for "anyone" to see or a crossing offer  anyone want to test it out? I can return the XRP's if need be I'm just doing all this for testing purposes and getting my head around Ripple because this is the future of trust/credit.

I will try and test it out, but I am confused as to how exactly to calculate the order.  Is this correct?

Supposly, this is how the order panned out not sure if its correct.  Umm....
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
February 23, 2013, 07:13:12 PM
Is there a way in ripple to track how many successful trades someone has done? It would be a good metric to decide if someone is trustworthy.. And to build on the ratings that have accumulated in OTC

There is nothing the Ripple network can measure that would determine whether you should value somebody's IOU's. The value of somebody's IOU is related most directly to how reliably it can be settled in the real world, and how reliably they've settled in the past isn't accessible to Ripple.

With such a system you'd also have to be very careful about whether it was gameable: if you could build "trust" by trading with colluding accounts and then rip off the rest of the world, the system would be worse than useless.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
February 23, 2013, 07:08:26 PM
I had the same problem.

Log out. --> Log in again. --> fixxed.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
February 23, 2013, 07:07:13 PM

I can't give trust to bitstamp:

And then: