Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 106. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
August 06, 2014, 09:27:10 AM
Does anyone think it is only our individual investor community, or has Peter Thiel brought the institutional investors in (e.g. other venture capital, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc)? Would they want to buy at lower prices in an angel investment earlier?

Rumor is that Goldman is in.  Also heard on the street that Evercore is in, and some swiss firms, I forget which.  Total rumors.  I have no inside info.  And yes, they would want a privileged position, and a pound of flesh.  That's how they roll.

So the big money moving into the IPO might be the salesmanship these (backstabbing) firms could be laying on their "qualified investor" clients?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 06, 2014, 09:23:15 AM
I haven't had time to follow the discussions that have transpired since I was regularly posting in the thread last week. I don't have time to jump back into this thread, but I wanted to know if there has been any additional discussion or does any one have any comments now on the fact that Ethereum's IPO is approaching $15 million??

Not much here

Is that the largest amount of capital that has been pledged to an unlaunched altcoin?

By order of magnitude, I think.

Does anyone think that figure might be fake, i.e. using the funds to buy from themselves again and again?

I don't.  Their banking sponsors would demolish them very quickly.  

Does anyone think it is only our individual investor community, or has Peter Thiel brought the institutional investors in (e.g. other venture capital, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc)? Would they want to buy at lower prices in an angel investment earlier?

Rumor is that Goldman is in.  Also heard on the street that Evercore is in, and some swiss firms, I forget which.  Total rumors.  I have no inside info.  And yes, they would want a privileged position, and a pound of flesh.  That's how they roll.

How does such a large initial market cap enable them and hinder them?

My expectation: Just like any dot-com era VC funding scam.  They have created impossible expectations in the mindes of the money people who will end up controlling them.  They will run in different directions at once, chasing blue sky, have a series of management changes, blow a lot of money on tiki bars and conference splashes. The layoffs will start about the same time as the death march starts.  Goals will be scaled down ad hoc to things which are achievable but useless, do not match or integrate the vision.  Finally the last new management will be chop-shop, and pieces will get sold off to the highest bidder.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!
August 06, 2014, 09:23:06 AM
@AnonyMint of course every system can be cheaten hence theres used "trust" system of friends giving to friends.
I like the idea of  rpietila as ineed almost 100% bounties always get dumped.

I got some cool bounties as i used to help many coins and never dumped [just out of respect to devs] but actually only like 5% of not dumping made me profit in future. Dumping right away was usualy the "best" thing to do.
Yet since im not in need of cash when i get free coins i keep tchem and not dump. If others start doing similar we may have better crypto-world
August 06, 2014, 09:15:48 AM
Miners tend to keep whatever coins they think will increase in value, and sell when they see the coin going sideways or down.  Botnet owners have little of no overhead, so they just dump like mad.  There is absolutely no positive aspect to having botnets on your coin.

1. I would like to see actual evidence of this as opposed to people just stating it. Is there any?

Theory strongly says that it is irrelevant, given perfect markets (which in the case of Monero actually is true!).

People earn in what they happen to get, and save in what they want. If these two coins do not coincide, they make a conversion between earning and saving.

Risto I think you missed the point. Botnets have an order-of-magnitude or more lower costs, thus this lower cost basis means they can sell at lower prices, thus they drive the price of the coin down if they are too much of the float (which I theorize could impact the exponential share of the distribution and growth curve).

While the debasement rates are high, the price of the coin is modulated significantly by the cost of mining.

Thus for two reasons botnets are not a problem in the long-term, but they can destroyhurt a coin early on (when the long-term growth curve is being established and perhaps set in stone).

1. The difficulty eventually rises such that either the demand for botnets drives their prices up to parity with rented hardware or botnets fade as a significant % of the hashrate.

2. Debasement rates slow so the price of the coin is less modulated by the cost of mining.
August 06, 2014, 09:05:35 AM
I haven't had time to follow the discussions that have transpired since I was regularly posting in the thread last week. I don't have time to jump back into this thread, but I wanted to know if there has been any additional discussion or does any one have any comments now on the fact that Ethereum's IPO is approaching $15 million??

Is that the largest amount of capital that has been pledged to an unlaunched altcoin?

Does anyone think that figure might be fake, i.e. using the funds to buy from themselves again and again?

How does such a large initial market cap enable them and hinder them?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
August 06, 2014, 05:19:26 AM
Interesting, but can it work with a coin, cascading a large amount down branches.

Is there a risk someone undesireable creeps in somewhere and intercepts a big chunk of the overall coin? if they are high enough in the chain it could be the same kind of impact as a scam dev running off. The person who might do that doesnt care about their honour.

Fair play for supporting people and trying something different.

Phil
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 06, 2014, 01:38:54 AM
Speaking for myself only, and note my name - when I get free coins on poloniex (via giveaway, trivia contest, etc), I sell them immediately if they have any aggregate value above, say, .005 BTC.  The exception would be if I had overwhelming evidence that the coin was rising in value.

That does not contradict my point at all.

I hold a few currencies, let's say USD, EUR, silver, gold, BTC and XMR. If anyone gave me a freebie in any of these, I would keep it and not search to convert it until in the next rebalancing.

If the freebie was in any of the other currencies, I would seek to convert it to some of the ones mentioned, to ease accounting.

Even if it was in the list, if it was large in sum, I would have to do the rebalancing sooner, converting some of it to the other currencies.

If it is very large, even if it was BTC, I would sell a part of it to keep a balance in my currency/metal/RE/project portfolio.

So the point remains. What coins you regard fit for investing, is a different set than what you might receive as freebies (even if counting botnet gains as "freebies" is disingenious, since mining a coin with your stolen resource is a clear business decision, it is just not an investment decision).

I have received genuine freebies such as 35,000 XRP last year, and the day I received it, I sold them for BTC.

To make giving freebies a good way to increase the popularity of a coin, you have to make a very good scheme, and nobody has succeeded so far. I am trying with personal circular donations here. That the giveaway is happening only via trusted personal relations instead of an open application, is a step in an uncharted territory, after all the charted territory has been proven to not work Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 05, 2014, 08:32:02 PM
Miners tend to keep whatever coins they think will increase in value, and sell when they see the coin going sideways or down.  Botnet owners have little of no overhead, so they just dump like mad.  There is absolutely no positive aspect to having botnets on your coin.

1. I would like to see actual evidence of this as opposed to people just stating it. Is there any?

2. Not having a high cost structure would reduce, not increase the incentive to sell. The people who are most motivated to sell quickly are those with high operating costs (electricity, cloud mining, etc.). So this argument about botnet behavior is illogical in addition to unproven.

Re #2

Speaking for myself only, and note my name - when I get free coins on poloniex (via giveaway, trivia contest, etc), I sell them immediately if they have any aggregate value above, say, .005 BTC.  The exception would be if I had overwhelming evidence that the coin was rising in value.

That's quite different from running a botnet. A botnet might not have a direct operating cost but you still have to put time and some money into it. Whatever you get out of a botnet, you worked for it.

I general I agree with rpietilla though. There is likely to be little difference in selling behavior as a function of operating cost. Small differences are possible but not that important.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
August 05, 2014, 08:19:49 PM

2. Not having a high cost structure would reduce, not increase the incentive to sell. The people who are most motivated to sell quickly are those with high operating costs (electricity, cloud mining, etc.). So this argument about botnet behavior is illogical in addition to unproven.

Re #2

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 05, 2014, 07:12:08 PM
as happened before when Luke-jr attacked some random alt with an ASIC farm.

It's funny because he posted about it and denies it completely, while everyone else says he did.

I thought that I read him denying using eligius hashing to attack the altcoin but acknowledging he used his own ASIC farm or something similar. I think he wanted to avoid people thinking he stole their hash from the pool.

I used to think it was an evil act:  Destroying someone else's value.

But now I think the bulk of the larceny in crypto is scamcoins, and I would support BCX, Luke-jr, anyone attacking scamcoins, to stop the harm they do.  I'm of course still concerned about the target selection process, always a touchy subject in warfare.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 05, 2014, 03:40:06 PM

It's funny because he posted about it and denies it completely, while everyone else says he did.

I thought that I read him denying using eligius hashing to attack the altcoin but acknowledging he used his own ASIC farm or something similar. I think he wanted to avoid people thinking he stole their hash from the pool.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
August 05, 2014, 03:21:50 PM

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
August 05, 2014, 12:53:47 PM
I'm just saying that CPU-only mining is the *fastest* way to get general adoption. The only problem is it's really, really hard to get GPU/ASIC resistant algorithm, but that will be solved eventually.

This is out of my depth, but here are my thoughts:

A GPU is different from a CPU mainly because a CPU is fewer more powerful cores, and a GPU is many slower cores. If this is the main difference, then building a CPU only algorithm seems like an impossible task.

It's not about the number of cores, algorithms we talked about (https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo/blob/master/cuckoo.pdf) resist massive parallelizability. If you are interested in details there's a bounty that GPU can't beat modern CPU: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cuckoo-cycle-speed-challenge-2500-in-bounties-707879 It's not our grandpa's PoWs which were moved to GPUs in no time. We'll see if the bounty will be collected or not.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
August 05, 2014, 12:13:26 PM
Mh, we really don't know if there is already a botnet out in the wild mining XMR coins. We know for sure, however, that there is a positive likelihood for the event that a botnet will enter the mining market, just because one can make little/big money with selling XMR coins. (IMO, botnet miners are likely to drive the price down by immediately selling their mined coins; but that is another point to be discussed.) Nevertheless, botnets are unlikely to overcome FPGAs and ASICs, once those enter the game, right?! That's why I'm mostly concerned about FPGA (and later ASIC) miners entering the field.

Did anyone use FPGAs for Bitcoin mining activities back in the good old BTC days? Would you agree that FPGAs could become a threat to today's Monero miners - worse then botnets (thinking of mining power percentages and cheaply mined coins)?

Several people have already said that they know people mining with botnets, so botnets are likely a thing, however how much of a problem botnets are remains to be seen.

Also, I think that FPGA mining would be the best spot for us to be in. Anyone can get hold of a FPGA and the code can be loaded from an open source repo, much like today's GPU miners. However this might pull power away from CPU miners and end the constant FUD about botnets. Even if botnets are not a problem, FPGA's ending the perceived botnet threat would do Monero good.

I agree with you. CryptoNote/CryptoNight algo FGPAs would be a good thing. An open market with anyone table to both buy FGPAs or rent hashing power from them is a much better situation overall I think.

That's part of the reason I've recently come to prefer scrypt again. It has a mature market where anyone can purchase ASICs or rent as much hash power as they can afford. Networks are pretty secure and no one is left out. It would be pretty expensive to mount attacks on a decent sized network. SHA-256 is always an option but with the scale of Bitcoin mining I would be pretty scared of pissing the wrong person off or something, as happened before when Luke-jr attacked some random alt with an ASIC farm.

I don't really see the point of all these exotic algos other than for marketing purposes. I mean, in theory I guess their intentions are good, they want to make it more fair for everyone. But in reality I think we've seen that's not really the case. But it's not a disaster or anything either. Networks can run just fine on some of these algos, but a tested and mature PoW is better I believe.

I think their would be more small miners if the coins like BTC, LTC or whatever had better distribution from mining.  Many people were afraid to even get their feet wet and invest their time/money for fear they would loose both.  Many people would mine now if the distribution of the coins I'd mentioned were more fair IMO.
legendary
amarha
August 05, 2014, 10:26:44 AM
Mh, we really don't know if there is already a botnet out in the wild mining XMR coins. We know for sure, however, that there is a positive likelihood for the event that a botnet will enter the mining market, just because one can make little/big money with selling XMR coins. (IMO, botnet miners are likely to drive the price down by immediately selling their mined coins; but that is another point to be discussed.) Nevertheless, botnets are unlikely to overcome FPGAs and ASICs, once those enter the game, right?! That's why I'm mostly concerned about FPGA (and later ASIC) miners entering the field.

Did anyone use FPGAs for Bitcoin mining activities back in the good old BTC days? Would you agree that FPGAs could become a threat to today's Monero miners - worse then botnets (thinking of mining power percentages and cheaply mined coins)?

Several people have already said that they know people mining with botnets, so botnets are likely a thing, however how much of a problem botnets are remains to be seen.

Also, I think that FPGA mining would be the best spot for us to be in. Anyone can get hold of a FPGA and the code can be loaded from an open source repo, much like today's GPU miners. However this might pull power away from CPU miners and end the constant FUD about botnets. Even if botnets are not a problem, FPGA's ending the perceived botnet threat would do Monero good.

I agree with you. CryptoNote/CryptoNight algo FGPAs would be a good thing. An open market with anyone table to both buy FGPAs or rent hashing power from them is a much better situation overall I think.

That's part of the reason I've recently come to prefer scrypt again. It has a mature market where anyone can purchase ASICs or rent as much hash power as they can afford. Networks are pretty secure and no one is left out. It would be pretty expensive to mount attacks on a decent sized network. SHA-256 is always an option but with the scale of Bitcoin mining I would be pretty scared of pissing the wrong person off or something, as happened before when Luke-jr attacked some random alt with an ASIC farm.

I don't really see the point of all these exotic algos other than for marketing purposes. I mean, in theory I guess their intentions are good, they want to make it more fair for everyone. But in reality I think we've seen that's not really the case. But it's not a disaster or anything either. Networks can run just fine on some of these algos, but a tested and mature PoW is better I believe.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 05, 2014, 10:11:23 AM
I'm just saying that CPU-only mining is the *fastest* way to get general adoption. The only problem is it's really, really hard to get GPU/ASIC resistant algorithm, but that will be solved eventually.

This is out of my depth, but here are my thoughts:

A GPU is different from a CPU mainly because a CPU is fewer more powerful cores, and a GPU is many slower cores. If this is the main difference, then building a CPU only algorithm seems like an impossible task.

In fact this race to create a CPU only coins only serves to give display driver hackers a chance to get rich.

I'm not seeing any benefit to a CPU only coin.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
August 05, 2014, 10:03:00 AM
Economic fact:

Mining cannot provide real returns.

I mined XCN with AMD FX-8320 core 8, and got 500Kh/s. About mined 25-30 coins a day, so this is only a bit profitable, because electricity would costs 90% of coins.

Comparing the rank 1 miner in the pool http://xcn.1gh.com/,  the miner has 1500X power of me.  In this situation, i have to quit mining.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 05, 2014, 09:58:11 AM
Miners tend to keep whatever coins they think will increase in value, and sell when they see the coin going sideways or down.  Botnet owners have little of no overhead, so they just dump like mad.  There is absolutely no positive aspect to having botnets on your coin.

Theory strongly says that it is irrelevant, given perfect markets (which in the case of Monero actually is true!).

People earn in what they happen to get, and save in what they want. If these two coins do not coincide, they make a conversion between earning and saving.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 05, 2014, 09:52:14 AM

legendary
amarha
August 05, 2014, 09:43:30 AM
I know at least one person who's mined or currently mines XMR with a botnet. I'm not saying that XMR is infested with botnets or making any other claims. But I've seen quite a few people outright dismissing the idea of botnets mining XMR and that's just incredibly naive.
Jump to: