Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 110. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 04, 2014, 03:56:00 AM
How to turn a nice idea into a pile of shit in 4 hours:

http://minichain.info/address/CNCzEBdvxzKSsGGdeqdGv17zuyWLeyAFvw

Regardless, XCN price was last seen headed towards the moon.   Smiley
Activity: 299
Merit: 250
August 04, 2014, 02:40:54 AM
How to turn a nice idea into a pile of shit in 4 hours:

http://minichain.info/address/CNCzEBdvxzKSsGGdeqdGv17zuyWLeyAFvw
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
August 04, 2014, 12:55:52 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ck33b/mixing_bitcoins_through_altcurrencies/

Shows that people are thinking about alts for helping with privacy. Monero is well poised to get this market.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
August 04, 2014, 12:41:56 AM
Decrease in pumping potential of every new "short POW -> POS" scam with privacy vaporware is not insignificant. They may just die off relatively quickly altogether.
Thank God for small mercies.  I was worried that I would have to buy tights and a batmobile.

Pretty sure now that you've said it you WILL have to.

Pics.

Soon.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 04, 2014, 12:37:54 AM
Decrease in pumping potential of every new "short POW -> POS" scam with privacy vaporware is not insignificant. They may just die off relatively quickly altogether.
Thank God for small mercies.  I was worried that I would have to buy tights and a batmobile.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
August 03, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
Tailored sales pitch for rpietila:

1) Start with some hyperbolic upside talk.
2) Wine comparisons.(nice, someone knows his customer Wink)
3) Obligatory AnonyMint reference.
4) Make sure not to step on any XMR toes while making it clear that both currencies are the best thing since sliced bread.

Even if rpietila doesn't buy any XCN I think he should offer you a job as Head of Sales at Malla. Wink

Grin

6) mini-blockchain radically improves BTC scalability (Holy Grail of pruning)

Nice theory! +1
But: Is this new piece of technology really relevant for practitioners (meaning no-tech guys / real-world dudes)?

Speaking for myself, I want a full PoW node running on my phone ASAP.

Meanwhile everyone else just runs SPV clients or remotely hosted wallets

And that's exactly why mini-blockchains are useful: They help the currency to stay decentralized, because everybody can run a full node without a large effort or cost. While this is, of course, not a large sell point for the normal user, it's important to sustain a healthy network. Also it has the advantage to allow micro-transactions more and don't have to essentially ban them (like bitcoin)
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
August 03, 2014, 09:29:52 PM
legendary
August 03, 2014, 05:55:56 PM
Meanwhile everyone else just runs SPV clients or remotely hosted wallets shops at Target with their compromised credit cards

fixed it.  no charge.   Wink
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
August 03, 2014, 05:53:30 PM

4) Make sure not to step on any XMR toes while making it clear that both currencies are the best thing since sliced bread.

Even if rpietila doesn't buy any XCN I think he should offer you a job as Head of Sales at Malla. Wink

Grin

Nice theory! +1
But: Is this new piece of technology really relevant for practitioners (meaning no-tech guys / real-world dudes)?

Meanwhile everyone else just runs SPV clients or remotely hosted wallets
legendary
August 03, 2014, 05:52:03 PM

Nice theory! +1

Activity: 198
Merit: 100
August 03, 2014, 05:50:04 PM

Nice theory! +1
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
August 03, 2014, 05:17:58 PM
8 ) innovative proof-of-work seems GPU and ASIC resistant

Let's just quietly remove that one from the list before the post looks foolish in a few months.
+1

The whole "gpu/asic-resistance" has always been a way to let whiny kids "play miner" with their dad's hardware, since they couldn't afford to do that with Bitcoin anymore.
Any coin who picks an algo for this purpose is automatically crap to me, since it's clearly not intended for security, but to make whiny kids happy.

That being said, I'm really concerned by POW regardless of the algorithm, so I'm kind of biased against any POW coin (except Bitcoin, of course).
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
August 03, 2014, 05:04:54 PM
The stated purpose of bitcoin was to provide a method of internet payment that was fast cheap easy safe etc.. Some people thought that it was also a safe way to hide illegal payments from governments, and loved it for that perceived quality.  Those people (and presumably most readers of this thread) are now realizing that it never was.
The purpose of bitcoin is to have a decentralised currency.
If you add centralization it is no longer decentralised (!!), hence it's a meaningless crap.

A tainted-bitcoins database would only kill that use of bitcoin for good. Cashiers would surely comply and check that database if it was automatic, and/or if they could be penalized for failure to do so (if only by having their own coins listed, and hence made worthless). 
It would no longer be a currency at all, since it wouldn't be fungible anymore.
legendary
August 03, 2014, 04:45:00 PM

As a fellow astute gentleman of the Bitcoin nobility, I feel a kinship with RP.

I noticed it as we came up to speed on Monero together.

Upon discovering Monero has a new baby cousin in the form of Cryptonite, I felt it wise to let him (and our fellow Altcoin Observers) know more about it.

Please note, I selfishly accumulated until someone else was the first to mention XCN here.  But once the crypto-cat gets out of the bag, it's time to have a nice discussion about the particulars.

And yes, I'd love to visit Malla.  During the summer.   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
August 03, 2014, 04:39:47 PM
Bitfreak says Bitcoin core devs ban dust transactions in Bitcoin because they makes blockchain bloated. Such ban is not really good for microtransactions. However, dust transactions are never an issue in Cryptonite
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 03, 2014, 04:35:53 PM
What is the fully diluted market cap at present?

(18.4 billion * coin price)

It's 1.84 billion total.  Half mined after 10 years.  I don't feel including the 2nd half is important, but understand you may be thinking very long-term.

BTC0.0000668 * 1840000000 XCN = BTC122,912

Okay even if we include the 10 years only, BTC60k sounds a little steep, about the price of Monero.

Yes, the price is more than a little steep.  The market understands the potential of XCN and, as with Monero, places a premium on such disruptive innovation's unholy amounts of potential.

XMR and XCN are the Napa Cab and Chard of altcoins (Bitcoin being First Growth Bordeaux).  You want the quality, you gotta pay for it.  Otherwise, stick with PlonkCoins.

Remember, AnonyMint says XCN's mini-blockchains are the best tech which may scale to Visa levels available.

So that's two (albeit related) Holy Grails for XCN: 1) ultimate prunability and 2) ultimate scalability.

XCN is not in competition with XMR.  They are complementary, as each is the best of class on their own side of the public/private money divide.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
August 03, 2014, 04:33:31 PM
Yes, the price is more than a little steep.  The market understands the potential of XCN and, as with Monero, places a premium on such disruptive innovation's unholy amounts of potential.

Sorry, but the mini-blockchain is not really a holy grail innovation. As said already, it is solving a "problem" many consider a non-problem. Furthermore, this idea has been in the air (= discussed at length) for a looooong time already.

So I don't think it is fair to put it at the same level as the cryptonote protocole which came by surprise in 2014 and is pretty much the only ground-breaking tech we've seen since bitcoin.
(I love to tell people that in terms of disruption, bitcoin is the only thing like internet since internet; now I got a new line: cryptonote is the only thing like bitcoin since bitcoin).
legendary
August 03, 2014, 04:22:13 PM

It's 1.84 billion total.  Half mined after 10 years.  I don't feel including the 2nd half is important, but understand you may be thinking very long-term.

Okay even if we include the 10 years only, BTC60k sounds a little steep, about the price of Monero.

XMR and XCN are the Napa Cab and Chard of altcoins (Bitcoin being First Growth Bordeaux).  You want the quality, you gotta pay for it.  Otherwise, stick with PlonkCoins.

Remember, AnonyMint says XCN's mini-blockchains are the best tech which may scale to Visa levels available.

So that's two (albeit related) Holy Grails for XCN: 1) ultimate prunability and 2) ultimate scalability.

XCN is not in competition with XMR.  They are complementary, as each is the best of class on their own side of the public/private money divide.
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
August 03, 2014, 04:16:18 PM

It's 1.84 billion total.  Half mined after 10 years.  I don't feel including the 2nd half is important, but understand you may be thinking very long-term.

How would you even sell this to regular people? What do you say? "It's like Bitcoin but it takes less space on your hard drive if you decide to actually download the blockchain."? Is that the elevator pitch? At least with XMR you can tell the average person that the FBI/NSA ect can easily tell what you're buying with Bitcoin and not so easily with XMR.

I don't mean to sound too negative here or disparage new technology. But this market never ceases to amaze me with it's hype.

Yeah, I'll say it's a hard sell to anyone other then the small percentage of cryptoenthusiasts who looks really look at the deep technical aspects and the future problem they may hold. The lack of anonymity is already a very growing concern among even the bigger BTC-crowd and that will only grow until a good enough solution is presented. The blockchain size is not a really a huge concern yet.

But other than that, I'm still using leftover CPU-power to mine it. The problem will have to be addressed eventually one way or another. It's just that I think BTC will solve it without a need for being taken over by an alt coin..
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 03, 2014, 04:12:09 PM

How would you even sell this to regular people? What do you say? "It's like Bitcoin but it takes less space on your hard drive if you decide to actually download the blockchain."? Is that the elevator pitch? At least with XMR you can tell the average person that the FBI/NSA ect can easily tell what you're buying with Bitcoin and not so easily with XMR.

I don't mean to sound too negative here or disparage new technology. But this market never ceases to amaze me with it's hype.
Jump to: