Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 12. (Read 387454 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000
the grandpa of cryptos
February 10, 2015, 12:46:53 AM
i invest in BTC/DRK and EXCL [my sig]. imo best coins
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
January 30, 2015, 11:13:51 AM
Anyone did in-depth research about:

2.) Stellar (Improvements/Changes) vs. Ripple

2)
no but I would be really interested in that, given that one can assume that ripple (not ripples) at least partially starts networking

I thought that the primary difference between Stellar and Ripple was that Stellar was supposed to achieve much wider/better distribution, first with their facebook giveaways, and then sometime soon I think they're supposed to distribute to all btc addresses above some threshold.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
January 29, 2015, 07:50:17 PM

1.) BitShares

?

Thanks in advance for good answers.

1.)
yes

I think almost use the same system to reach consensus as ripple does. bitshares are a collateral - it can be used to back some other commodity/currency etc pp, which are basically lend into existence and are oversecured at (200 or 300%). the mechanism is from an economists perspective relatively sound and clever, while still having some flaws, which are well described here (a little uberbearish): http://prestonbyrne.com/2014/08/17/dont-walk-away-run/

until now the system did not have a black swan event (I think it is almost rediculous to call that event black swan because it is much more likely). I am not as bearish as prestonbyrne regarding the project, but it suffers from one big flaw: for me it was a reason to sell (almost at ath Smiley ). the mechanism failed (at that point of time) to incentivesize to use or hold bitUSD over bitshares as well as over normal USD. While the last seems relatively clear, bitUSD are not as worthless as it seems compared to normal USD, having advantages regarding holding, sending etc. pp. . the additional condition to the first one was that the system in order to be successful needs to offer a high level of liquidity, which I could and can not see at this point of time, given that it is a kickstarter as well as poor risk/reward and little incentivisation.

overall the idea is brilliant, the mechanism is not bad and I will keep an eye on it (I would love to see a similar mechanism on top of bitcoin, which basically solves some of the problems bitcoin has as well as some of the problems bitshares has). it is definetely not the crappiest buy you can make, but I do not hold some. I think we will have time to see if it gets used, which basically offers a much better risk reward.

2)
no but I would be really interested in that, given that one can assume that ripple (not ripples) at least partially starts networking
legendary
Activity: 1092
January 29, 2015, 10:43:44 AM
Have you checked Unobtanium?
Only 15 UNO is created on daily basis and from May it will even be decreased to 7.5 UNO per day.
The charts look excellent since summer 2014.
It is still a small coin (marketcap only a few hundred of thousands).
It is recommended to buy UNO only with small incredements per day so that you will not be pumping the price too much. 1 btc a day is maximum one can spend.
The UNO fans are predicting it will reach 400 BTC per uno price at some point.  Roll Eyes

The only problems with UNO is that there is a community literally begging the coin owners to sell some UNOs from time to time.
UNO may not be optimal coin for wide merchant adoption since not many are willing to spend UNO knowing it will be more expensive after 2-3 months from now.  Shocked

What UNO has to offer? Anything new on its tech? How is it compares with bitcoin or litecoin etc?

>>Bryce Weiner. ughh,  does he do anything else than tweeting all the time?I am asking seriously.

I dont have any idea about it. But i just dont see the reason...

On the other hand, have you checked Gapcoin? Gapcoin has already in it's first 4 month of existence broken 544 records of first known occurrences in prime gaps. It was about to break the world record for highest merit before bitcoin dropped and hashrate dropped. If the Gapcoin mining difficulty reaches 35.4245, every block will be a new prime gap world record.

Now obviously you will say that scientific coins arent really that good economically speaking, but i dont know, with a current marketcap of 7500$ it looked like a sure bet to me. Although it isnt so easy to buy with so small marketcap/volume....

Edit: Obviously i own many of them.

As far as I know, UNO offers nothing new technologically. Correct me if I am wrong.
It simply has extremely low emission and the total supply is 250 000 UNO.
And the chart is very appealing.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
January 29, 2015, 09:52:09 AM
Only 15 UNO is created on daily basis and from May it will even be decreased to 7.5 UNO per day.
It is recommended to buy UNO only with small incredements per day so that you will not be pumping the price too much. 1 btc a day is maximum one can spend.
The UNO fans are predicting it will reach 400 BTC per uno price at some point.  Roll Eyes

The only problems with UNO is that there is a community literally begging the coin owners to sell some UNOs from time to time.
UNO may not be optimal coin for wide merchant adoption since not many are willing to spend UNO knowing it will be more expensive after 2-3 months from now.  Shocked

What UNO has to offer? Anything new on its tech? How is it compares with bitcoin or litecoin etc?

>>Bryce Weiner. ughh,  does he do anything else than tweeting all the time?I am asking seriously.

I dont have any idea about it. But i just dont see the reason...

On the other hand, have you checked Gapcoin? Gapcoin has already in it's first 4 month of existence broken 544 records of first known occurrences in prime gaps. It was about to break the world record for highest merit before bitcoin dropped and hashrate dropped. If the Gapcoin mining difficulty reaches 35.4245, every block will be a new prime gap world record.

Now obviously you will say that scientific coins arent really that good economically speaking, but i dont know, with a current marketcap of 7500$ it looked like a sure bet to me. Although it isnt so easy to buy with so small marketcap/volume....

Edit: Obviously i own many of them.
legendary
Activity: 1092
January 29, 2015, 09:10:55 AM

UNO may not be optimal coin for wide merchant adoption since not many are willing to spend UNO knowing it will be more expensive after 2-3 months from now.  Shocked
Activity: 798
21 million. I want them all.
January 28, 2015, 11:18:42 PM
To raise Altcoins real value then you need to create a true and continuous demand for it by growing the economy and getting more merchants and organizations involved.

Altcoins will see virtually zero real world merchant transaction adoption for years to come. Until then, growing any altcoin is solely about making it attractive to speculators through hype, marketing, and the actual merit of the technology. Due to the high velocity of cryptocurrencies, merchant "adoption" (immediately cashing out into fiat), is really only useful insofar as it creates more hype and attracts more holders. Holding the coin for the purpose of wealth preservation is the most important non-speculative use of altcoins, not merchant adoption. If enough people hold the coin for the purpose of speculation and wealth preservation, merchants will be the ones pushing to obtain altcoins, rather than altcoin supporters pushing to obtain merchants.

Think about it from the merchant's perspective. How would you feel if someone approached you, begging you to accept their IOU or bitcoin or lucky rabbit's foot in exchange for your goods? You would rationally conclude that it's worthless and that they are trying to get one over on you. If they really thought that their bitcoin was valuable, they'd be giving you USD or EUR and keeping the bitcoin for themselves.

You might feel differently when someone approaches you begging you to accept their dollars. Then they ask you for their change in bitcoin. Then the buyer is communicating something entirely different.
Activity: 414
Merit: 250
January 28, 2015, 10:59:33 PM
To raise Altcoins real value then you need to create a true and continuous demand for it by growing the economy and getting more merchants and organizations involved.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
January 28, 2015, 08:47:11 PM
I'll cross-post this BURST post here in the right thread. Any thoughts? Anyone researched it thoughtfully?

this weirdo idea of some experts that bitcoin will be replaced by something better which we should wait for is so brutally flawed that I really wonder what they get their money for.

I see two spaces which will be filled by something other than bitcoin.  The 2.0 smart contracts etc system (counterparty? etherium? nxt?) and privacy. 
I know this is not the right thread to discuss other altcoins, but smart contracts are already a reality. Surprisingly (for me) it was implemented in a coin I treated like a shitcoin (mine and sell whatever the price). The coin is proof of capacity (you mine it on many TBs of HDD) and is called BURST. Here is a recent publication about BURST and smart contracts: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cryptocurrency-burst-makes-smart-contracts-reality-happened-ethereum/. I was just mining it and selling, so I didn't researched it a lot, so everything I know about the coin is that it seems it's not a premine and it's NXT based (but not POS). I have the feeling it's very easy to pump and dump (low market cap, many large miners still not selling) so be extremely careful with it.

I have been following Burst for a few months. Really like where it is going, also the activity seems to have picked up and the thread here on the forum is getting alot of good posts.

Treated it as a mine and sell coin in the beginning when it hit polo but now I'm actually buying.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1018
January 28, 2015, 08:33:48 PM
I'll cross-post this BURST post here in the right thread. Any thoughts? Anyone researched it thoughtfully?

this weirdo idea of some experts that bitcoin will be replaced by something better which we should wait for is so brutally flawed that I really wonder what they get their money for.

I see two spaces which will be filled by something other than bitcoin.  The 2.0 smart contracts etc system (counterparty? etherium? nxt?) and privacy.  
I know this is not the right thread to discuss other altcoins, but smart contracts are already a reality. Surprisingly (for me) it was implemented in a coin I treated like a shitcoin (mine and sell whatever the price). The coin is proof of capacity (you mine it on many TBs of HDD) and is called BURST. Here is a recent publication about BURST and smart contracts: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cryptocurrency-burst-makes-smart-contracts-reality-happened-ethereum/. I was just mining it and selling, so I didn't researched it a lot, so everything I know about the coin is that it seems it's not a premine and it's NXT based (but not POS). I have the feeling it's very easy to pump and dump (low market cap, many large miners still not selling) so be extremely careful with it.
I am invested in 3 cryptos:

BTC
XMR
BURST

Burst is innovative and I have a fat wallet and will continue to hold until I see it break out and then I will sell a little. Perhaps buy more Monero Wink
Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
January 28, 2015, 01:38:26 PM

I see two spaces which will be filled by something other than bitcoin.  The 2.0 smart contracts etc system (counterparty? etherium? nxt?) and privacy. 
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
January 24, 2015, 11:17:56 AM

1.) BitShares

?

Thanks in advance for good answers.
Activity: 748
Merit: 500
January 24, 2015, 05:35:24 AM
What is behind the ripple rise recently?

Something about a huge deal with RBS?

I won't buy into the ATH, but will keep my eye out for a pullback.  Ripple has at least a couple of top shelf devs under their roof.

No, there was no deal with RBS.  There was a hackathon at RBS in which some contestants from RBS integrated XRP into one of their FX platforms, whereupon XRP started on a tear.  It was done for a contest, for show, and not as a product, for use.  Now XRP (and STR) will return to their normal death throes.

I don't agree with the principles behind STR and XRP, but at least they are somewhat disruptive to the existing system albeit a servant to them. Not anywhere on the same order as BTC and such, those are replacements.

STR/XRP is probably going to be valuable to the existing financial system, it is a simple cost savings. A mid or long term "investment". I do see some of the banking system integrating it and if it
saves them money (cutting out clearance fees and such), I just see others to follow. But in time, what happens to BTC and the others? We all got that part down.

They still rise and apply more pressure to the existing system. One can argue in a sense that STR/XRP are mini-Trojan Horses, where as BTC is the mother of them all. So, perhaps STR/XRP are just softening up the banking system to give BTC more free reign.  Grin

Whatever happens it is certainly going to get more interesting. I think we are close to having some killer apps for BTC and gaining more global acceptance. Maybe 2015 starts to give us more traction globally. The space is still moving fast but it really comes down to retailers. If BTC is going to save them money, they start accepting it.

IAS

I am mostly interested and curious what will the OpenBazaar do with the world of e-commerce...Because it could be a really big deal and change the way the online marketplaces work...and Bitcoin being the main currency...can you imagine if you put together amazon + ebay + bitcoin ? Crazy...
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
January 17, 2015, 08:02:18 AM

I view issues as catastrophic dysfunction of the development process, catastrophic failure of fungibility, catastrophic loss of decentralization (arguably has already happened, though likely is not irreparable quite yet), or even catastrophic damage to the brand (and entirely cultural and not technical issue) as being the sorts of failures that could lead to a somewhat different cryptocurrency becoming dominant.

Yes. There could easily be a situation where different governments start blacklisting coins and trying to become gatekeepers. This might happen somewhat slowly at first and then more quickly if bitcoin is seen as a threat in countries with weaker currencies. Slowly, and then perhaps increasingly quickly, speculators and users will start rebalancing their money into unblacklistable crypos. This might not result in bitcoin losing its #1 spot, but it will result in a crippling of bitcoin. And it may mean that an unblacklistable coin increases 10x in value.

This is distinct from the privacy niche.
Speaking of governements, there is also the possibility to make it irrelevant (for the everyday user) by creating a state-controled sort of clone. PoS with transparent blockchain, cryptofiat.
  • Enjoy the "advantage" of a PoS: as long as you have 51% of them, you have them all (you may also premine a PoW at 51% but that would be farther from governement habits). Ripple (and Stellar?) already has the support of banks, this helps a lot.
  • Enjoy the "advantage" of transparent blockchain (every non-CryptoNote coin): complete monitoring of the money traffic. Great to fight tax evasion, be sure that no citizen is doing something not allowed, war on terror, etc... and even more tomorrow with pervasive monitoring, i.e. transparent-blockchain-based internet of things (Nick Szabo).

P.-S.: happy new year, altcoin observers!
legendary
Activity: 1442
Antifragile
December 29, 2014, 04:11:57 PM

I won't buy into the ATH, but will keep my eye out for a pullback.  Ripple has at least a couple of top shelf devs under their roof.

No, there was no deal with RBS.  There was a hackathon at RBS in which some contestants from RBS integrated XRP into one of their FX platforms, whereupon XRP started on a tear.  It was done for a contest, for show, and not as a product, for use.  Now XRP (and STR) will return to their normal death throes.

I don't agree with the principles behind STR and XRP, but at least they are somewhat disruptive to the existing system albeit a servant to them. Not anywhere on the same order as BTC and such, those are replacements.

STR/XRP is probably going to be valuable to the existing financial system, it is a simple cost savings. A mid or long term "investment". I do see some of the banking system integrating it and if it
saves them money (cutting out clearance fees and such), I just see others to follow. But in time, what happens to BTC and the others? We all got that part down.

They still rise and apply more pressure to the existing system. One can argue in a sense that STR/XRP are mini-Trojan Horses, where as BTC is the mother of them all. So, perhaps STR/XRP are just softening up the banking system to give BTC more free reign.  Grin

Whatever happens it is certainly going to get more interesting. I think we are close to having some killer apps for BTC and gaining more global acceptance. Maybe 2015 starts to give us more traction globally. The space is still moving fast but it really comes down to retailers. If BTC is going to save them money, they start accepting it.

IAS
Activity: 868
Merit: 584
December 25, 2014, 12:43:03 PM
XRP (and STR) will return to their normal death throes.
Bummer.  That mean I can't tradez btc/usd any more on ripple?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
December 23, 2014, 02:57:39 PM

I won't buy into the ATH, but will keep my eye out for a pullback.  Ripple has at least a couple of top shelf devs under their roof.

No, there was no deal with RBS.  There was a hackathon at RBS in which some contestants from RBS integrated XRP into one of their FX platforms, whereupon XRP started on a tear.  It was done for a contest, for show, and not as a product, for use.  Now XRP (and STR) will return to their normal death throes.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
December 16, 2014, 09:47:11 PM

Activity: 517
Merit: 501
legendary
Activity: 1456
December 16, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
Pages:
Jump to: