Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 15. (Read 387455 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
November 18, 2014, 08:27:48 AM
It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.
I guess sir and I really normally appreciate your analysis as well as your opinion - you are wrong here.

Do you think it is non-trivial to dilute XCP, or do you think that trivially dilutable issuances can be investment grade nonetheless?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by dilutable - but I assume that you use it the way that the function of xcp can be copied within its own protocol.

I think you are right regarding that - this was true until last week. But even in this case it was reasonable to assume that the native currency of the protocol was more widely accepted and used than the newly created tokens. Even point 1 changed a little bit due to the ethereum fork and the usage of xcp as fee.

There is a second point regarding the crappy investment. I was with these guys since the inception of counterparty aka page 2 of the announcement thread. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and basically did it over the whole period of time. After ~3 month they left our beloved nest of bitcointalk to join the financial industry and tell the world what they created. They convinced worldwide quite a group of important people that it is worth taking a look - the effects of this can be seen now. Counterparty is regarding the quality of manpower/ development as well as the outcome of that the reference in the altcoin scene - we should not forget that it is 11 months old.

I raised over the whole period of time exactly the same question which you are raising now - what is this strange token xcp and why should it be worth something. They did not convince me (exception maybe now the with the ethereum fee) by purely economical reasons, even though they were also existent. but they convinced me by action. I stopped raising this question.

This is not xmr, which is definetely under all logical aspects the investment with the highest long term expected value which was started this year. But code as well as projects are driven by people, which is at least as important as the logical reasoning - for more information look in the msc thread Wink.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125
November 18, 2014, 07:38:36 AM
XCP may be a wonderful tech, and a real solution to many problems.  It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.
What makes XCP easier to dilute than XMR for example?
(Btw XCP is up +2000% this year, this is a fact. "Crappy investment" is a point of view.)
I am using a time-horizon discrimination between "trade"  and "investment".  XCP has been a marvelous long trade.  Would I buy it, walk away, and come back in 10 years expecting my investment to have appreciated or even retained its value over that time?  No.  It has been a brilliant trade.  That does not make it a less crappy investment.

I sold all my XCP in private before it came on an exchange and made a 15X time profit. I was very very lucky.
Straight after entering an exchange it's been dumped, for a whole year and it was a crappy investment unless you've been holding until now which I think very very few people did.
Now that it's been pumped, it is very risked to invest. You could end up being the fool that buy at the top and sell at a loss.

About XMR, it is one of the best (long term) investment right now in my opinion. The tech is brand new and no other crypto can compare to it (apart from BBR).
I am not saying that there is no risk but the potential make me dizzy just thinking about it. Nothing has been made yet, only some development, no communication, no hype. When it'll get a bit of awareness, I expect a much bigger pump than XCP.

The problem is that people only look at the today-pumps and do not care about the long term.
Most people are here for a get rich quick scheme. They don't understand that it happen to few people because of luck and that most people end up losing everything trying all the short term pump&dumps.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
November 18, 2014, 02:13:48 AM
It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.
I guess sir and I really normally appreciate your analysis as well as your opinion - you are wrong here.

Do you think it is non-trivial to dilute XCP, or do you think that trivially dilutable issuances can be investment grade nonetheless?

legendary
November 18, 2014, 02:11:43 AM
XCP may be a wonderful tech, and a real solution to many problems.  It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.

(Btw XCP is up +2000% this year, this is a fact. "Crappy investment" is a point of view.)

I am using a time-horizon discrimination between "trade"  and "investment".  XCP has been a marvelous long trade.  Would I buy it, walk away, and come back in 10 years expecting my investment to have appreciated or even retained its value over that time?  No.  It has been a brilliant trade.  That does not make it a less crappy investment.
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
November 15, 2014, 11:38:30 AM
BTC will eventually fall (to other cryptocurrencies), and so will the coins tied with it.
BTC is and will be the No 1 coin for long time.  

Really? It looks increasingly like just another pump-and-dump altcoin, just waiting to get displaced by Ethereum or some other blockchain 2.0.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
November 15, 2014, 11:04:59 AM
BTC will eventually fall (to other cryptocurrencies), and so will the coins tied with it.

True.

Also true.
Activity: 462
November 15, 2014, 11:00:31 AM
Activity: 258
You can trust me, I have an avatar
November 15, 2014, 08:13:45 AM
If you say so
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
November 15, 2014, 08:11:47 AM

Appreciate the matter-of-fact statement that XCP is a "crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.". Roll Eyes  
As far as measuring whether up until this date it has been a crappy investment  XCP has one of the lowest ratio of bagholders/ those with taken or currently realisable profits in the markets today.(Unlike, say XMR... in which many, if not majority of investors are underwater, so have to take that with a pinch of salt ) Almost anyone who touched XCP (perhaps with exception of a few trades in the past several days) is in the black. Very early days for CounterParty. facepalm to whoever compared it to auroracoin, insinuating it will be overtaken by dogeparty

It's not smart to use  btc's blockchain either way....BTC will eventually fall (to other cryptocurrencies), and so will the coins tied with it.

Another completely subjective matter of fact statement. what is your timeline on 'eventually'? and why would that matter for today

November 15, 2014, 07:06:05 AM
http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-recreates-ethereums-smart-contract-platform-on-bitcoin/

basically counterparty and bitcoin can do most of ethereums stuff on the btc blockchain

counterparty is getting serious

Counterparty is too slow. It's not smart to use  btc's blockchain either way....BTC will eventually fall (to other cryptocurrencies), and so will the coins tied with it.

Alternatives will take time to build up. The problem with Clearinghouse is , although VIA is custom built and fast, it does not have the distribution of BTC.

So what you're saying is dogeparty?

Dogeparty is a nice compromise between Counterparty and Clearinghouse, it just has the right combination of speed/community support/distribution. I see Dogeparty being more successful in the future than both of those. Just wait for someone to actually start trading serious with Counterparty, they'll be cursing the slowness of Bitcoin blockchain with every trade, not exactly a good user experience. What we're seeing now is a usual marketing hype, Auroracoin type, with no fundamental reasons, pure guesstimates and hyped beliefs.

all these projects are done for niches. when you think what counterparty can provide - you see that it is on the most secure blockchain, it can use spin-off effects, as well as reliable technology. in case regulation works well it is a no-brainer.

the argument with the slowness of the btc blockchain is true. byrne even argues that it is a feature that it is not that fast. counterparty wants the niche of high secure, low volume, high amounts trade. if you look closer in the finance market, these niche is existent and it is not the worst idea to fill it.

high frequency trading will probably never be done on a blockchain, see vitaliks posts from the beginning of the year in the xcp thread. the difference between a one, five or ten minute confirmation is in certain fields not that important.

all that said xcp is a highly risky investment. compared to all other 2.0 projects it is nevertheless at this point by far the best. further I doubt that it is possible to overtake it within the next six months regarding development, embeddedness as well as industry connections. look in the msc thread where they discuss the problem of not-being-first-mover anymore this is true for all competing projects.
Activity: 336
November 15, 2014, 06:55:32 AM
http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-recreates-ethereums-smart-contract-platform-on-bitcoin/

basically counterparty and bitcoin can do most of ethereums stuff on the btc blockchain

Counterparty is too slow. It's not smart to use  btc's blockchain either way....BTC will eventually fall (to other cryptocurrencies), and so will the coins tied with it.

Alternatives will take time to build up. The problem with Clearinghouse is , although VIA is custom built and fast, it does not have the distribution of BTC.

Dogeparty is a nice compromise between Counterparty and Clearinghouse, it just has the right combination of speed/community support/distribution. I see Dogeparty being more successful in the future than both of those. Just wait for someone to actually start trading serious with Counterparty, they'll be cursing the slowness of Bitcoin blockchain with every trade, not exactly a good user experience. What we're seeing now is a usual marketing hype, Auroracoin type, with no fundamental reasons, pure guesstimates and hyped beliefs.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
November 15, 2014, 01:03:10 AM

Activity: 714
Merit: 504
November 15, 2014, 12:22:35 AM
Is Monero still being taken seriously?

Very much so.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
November 15, 2014, 12:19:11 AM
Is Monero still being taken seriously?
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
November 14, 2014, 07:56:01 PM

November 14, 2014, 07:44:14 PM
XCP may be a wonderful tech, and a real solution to many problems.  It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.

legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
November 14, 2014, 06:37:54 PM

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
November 14, 2014, 06:27:02 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2mawf1/ethereum_forks_counterparty/

FWIW Counterparty copied ethereum.  

Ethereum re-created (or tried to) counterparty in 350 lines of code.

Big difference between rewriting and cloning
legendary
November 14, 2014, 06:16:44 PM
XCP may be a wonderful tech, and a real solution to many problems.  It is a crappy investment because it is trivial to dilute it infinitely.
Pages:
Jump to: