Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 125. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
July 29, 2014, 02:35:50 PM
I haven't studied thermodynamics, but I really like to keep using the word 'entropy'.   Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
July 29, 2014, 02:32:52 PM
"I haven't studied the Boolberry PoW algorithm but I do invent Proof Of Troll" Cheesy
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
July 29, 2014, 12:36:14 PM
WHY ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME? Hire a cryptographer to do some study.

can't you see this man is serious! stop wasting his goddam time and get bruce schneir on the case already Kiss

Ahh, you tricked me into reading!

Sentences of the form:

"I haven't studied the Boolberry PoW algorithm but "

typically deserve to have the "but" and all words following it replaced by a period.

* I haven't studied medicine or electromagnetics, but I believe that cell phones cause cancer!

* I haven't studied mechanical engineering, but I believe my bridge design is sound!

Don't those just read a lot better as:  "I haven't studied mechanical engineering." ? :-)
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
July 29, 2014, 12:31:53 PM

can't you see this man is serious! stop wasting his goddam time and get bruce schneir on the case already Kiss
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
July 29, 2014, 12:08:14 PM
Zoidberg replied to you, telling you that it only used the less predictable parts of blocks for the scratchpad. You're still going on about how it may be predictable... so tell us why.

You apparently have no comprehension of what has been said.

"less predictable parts of blocks" makes no quantitative sense. That they were generated from prior PoW is not sufficient to quantify them as "less predictable". For one thing, they are already known by the time they are used. It is not even necessarily true that the PoW hashes couldn't contain planted patterns (remember any value less than the required difficulty is acceptable)!

The Cryptonote PoW algorithm runs the current value through a hash, and uses the output to as the index to lookup the next random memory location containing the next value.

If that hash is not uniformly distributed and or not perfectly random, then the memory locations visited may not comprise all locations in the scratchpad or can be gamed in other ways.

For example birthdays are uniformly distributed but if the sampling size is too small, then the test of duplicate birthdays probabilities are not uniform! So seemingly random and uniformly distributed data is not in another context. The size of the sample (the entropy) matters.

That is just one possible weakness. There may be others.

Using naked (unenveloped) AES rounds as a hash function can be incorrect. I cited a reference on that already.

I haven't studied the Boolberry PoW algorithm but I am aware it is using data from the block chain to modulate the choice of the next index in the scratchpad. The potential problem is that data may not have the degree of uniform distribution and randomness required. Your notion of "less predictable" is mathematical nonsense. It is the period of cyclic structure and extent of entropy that matter in Birthday attacks. The Boolberry PoW algorithm may be replacing the pseudorandom generator in Cryptonote entirely with data from the block chain. Since that data is known a priori, it might be possible to precompute certain lookup tables or other cryptanalysis strategies.

I believe it is possible to fix both if they have weaknesses (well at least Cryptonote but the Boolberry PoW might be doomed if I am correct that planted patterns can be put into block solution hashes). For example for Boolberry, he could probably add a hash computation every so many lookups in the scratchpad (within the loop inside the over PoW hash), to sufficiently randomize and disperse any accumulative effects from the block chain data. Ditto Cryptonote can probably replace the AES circuit with a known secure hash has every N lookups in the scratchpad. But I would prefer cryptanalysis to tell us with more certainty.

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
July 29, 2014, 11:15:51 AM
Gosh, ton of info, discussion here.

I looked into Boolberry and Monero.

They're both good(pushing away the gpu miner guy for bbr)

But really, Boolberries improvements on the coin, can be done on Monero or any other Cryptonote coin just as quickly(without full copy/paste)

I choose Monero over Boolberry (disregarding instamines or anything else, just focusing on first appearances), because Monero came out first, it has a big, juicy, sized developers team, and the name is just better.

Its like comparing "A Coin"  with "W Coin", "A Coin" came out first, and acquired a good size development team, its name is also better. It's development team has made more "underneath" changes to the coin than "W Coin" and its developers are focusing on addressing different issues correctly and properly, unlike "W Coin", which it's developers are hurrying to change this and that, to try and make it stand out from "A Coin"

Basically "A Coin"/Monero, on first view as I have said, seems like its development is more focused on fully understanding and addressing issues without hurrying through things and finding "quick ducttape solutions" that cause more problems down the road, and "W Coin"/Boolberry seems like its developers are more focused on adding on this and that without fully understanding the code and not taking their time.
That's my view.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
July 29, 2014, 11:00:09 AM

Cute mascot, it is the next Doggiecoin.

As we can see with the trend in disregarding the fact that these things are supposed to be a currency, everyone wants to be the next Dogecoin.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
July 29, 2014, 10:38:24 AM
So mining isn't anonymous?  Shocked

No, we aren't concerned about miners. 90% of blocks are mined by public pools anyway, there's no real point. We're mostly concerned about the people using it for barter transactions.
July 29, 2014, 10:25:19 AM

Cute mascot, it is the next Doggiecoin.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
July 29, 2014, 10:23:38 AM

+

?

Boolberry does sound funny and not at all like money. I wonder how they came up with it.

Is your target market only programmers? 99% of the people in the world don't know what 'bool' means. You flunk Marketing 101.

99.999% also have no idea what is monero, since it is only about 2000 people know esperanto Wink.

With all due respect (and I have a few bbr in my pocket), this may be the biggest "glass house" statement I have ever read.

Monero is widely regarded a terrific name for a cryptocurrency.  Smells like money in many languages.  What does boolberry smell like? Wink
July 29, 2014, 10:21:36 AM
Martin Armstrong talks about what is coming after Sept. 2015 from the 34 min point forward in the a July 14 interview, but the most interesting part for us might be from the 43 min point forward (especially 46:30) where he talks about alternative currencies during this coming period. You can quickly skip forward in the interview to the juicy part. His war and social unrest cycle will start firing zonkers starting this November.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
July 29, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
Boolberry does sound funny and not at all like money. I wonder how they came up with it.

Is your target market only programmers? 99% of the people in the world don't know what 'bool' means. You flunk Marketing 101.

99.999% also have no idea what is monero, since it is only about 2000 people know esperanto Wink.

With all due respect (and I have a few bbr in my pocket), this may be the biggest "glass house" statement I have ever read.

Monero is widely regarded a terrific name for a cryptocurrency.  Smells like money in many languages.  What does boolberry smell like? Wink
July 29, 2014, 10:18:48 AM
Othe, according to things that smooth said about problems with nodes bandwidth overhead, this i2p implementation looks really strange, since it definitely make this also slower.

I have no doubts that you informed about all issues and would be happy to see a result when you finish that.

The I2P network is designed for interaction of persons making transactions with main nodes without revealing your IP. It's not intended for general use (we will continue to use the normal P2P code for that).

So mining isn't anonymous?  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
July 29, 2014, 10:16:25 AM
Othe, according to things that smooth said about problems with nodes bandwidth overhead, this i2p implementation looks really strange, since it definitely make this also slower.

I have no doubts that you informed about all issues and would be happy to see a result when you finish that.

The I2P network is designed for interaction of persons making transactions with main nodes without revealing your IP. It's not intended for general use (we will continue to use the normal P2P code for that).
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
July 29, 2014, 10:05:28 AM

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
July 29, 2014, 10:02:21 AM
Simply from marketing and brandability point of view (it's a vanilla scrypt clone), what do you think about iCoin? Mainstream potential?

I'm bummed its dev quit and took off months ago, so the coin is pretty much dead now. The remaining marketing and web design guys quit also soon after. They said they made sure they wouldn't get into trouble using the name iCoin, in case someone thinks Apple has trademarked i*.

The website seems to be down, but I found this short video displaying the logo design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdXrS4XoWQ

Wouldn't mind if someone happened to design a perfect crypto coin and taking over iCoin brand and giving the current iCoin holders a few new coins in return. Smiley
July 29, 2014, 09:39:01 AM
I mean we don't make any claims of it never having been broken or being perfectly secure.

Good. You've got a $6 million marketcap, surely you can rub a few nickels together to hire some cryptanalysis. You all said you inherited a crud PoW implementation, so it behoves you to not play el cheapo on such a fundamental aspect of a crypto-coin.

Heck I haven't been paid a penny, and the PoW I did has extensive cryptanalysis. You better be ready!

Correct.  I have contributed to both the XMR and BBR code.

And you are respected for that.

(For those watching from home confused about why I'm replying to a reply, I have AnonyMint on ignore;  as you can probably tell from the tone of the comments, we seem to get along like baking soda and vinegar, and life is too short to let people waste your time.)

But this childish melodrama is pathetic. And reflects badly on the coin you say you are trying to help.

I was never attacking the valuable work you did on cleaning up the crud in the implementation of the PoW. I merely pointed out that a non-uniform and or non-random distribution on the lookups in the scratchpad can enable reduction of scratchpad. Since the default Crytonote PoW algorithm is supposedly random memory latency bound, then smaller memory footprint might mean moving into L2 cache which has significantly lower (faster) latency.
Activity: 976
Merit: 646
July 29, 2014, 08:11:42 AM
2. Boolberry should not be in a position to overtake Monero based on it's minimal and questionable changes.

Odd phrasing. While both Boolberry and Monero are based on Bytecoin only one has "minimal and questionable changes."

I guess you mean BBR, as Monero has a lot more code contributed to it and is far more diversed from the CN reference code.

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
July 29, 2014, 08:03:11 AM
Please clarify your statement? Do you mean you disclaim the need for cryptanalysis of a new hash function used in PoW or do you disclaim something Wolf0 wrote?

Wolf0 I apologize to lose my temper, but I don't like the deal where you require me to do all work for your group, else I can't speak to common methodology in cryptography to offer some insights.

Everyone knows that cryptography breaks when your input entropy is broken. Duh!

That is why it is so important to insure your random generator isn't subject to a birthday attack. The same applies to the random oracles you use when doing lookups in a scratchpad.

I mean we don't make any claims of it never having been broken or being perfectly secure. I'm not sure if you follow the Monero Missives at all, but when we released the whitepaper review we said the following:

Now that the CryptoNote whitepaper has been peer reviewed by our mathematicians and cryptographers, they have begun initial work reviewing the implementation thereof. This is most especially important, as Monero has inherited quite a bit from the CryptoNote reference code. The initial focus is on the cryptographic primitives and higher-level cryptographic functions, which will be evaluated by code analysis as well as by running test vectors (that are different from those in the Monero test suite) against those functions. The methodologies and results will, of course, be published in due time.
July 29, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

+1 for deescalation by chuckle.  Grin
Jump to: