Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 122. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
July 31, 2014, 07:24:57 PM
my problem is that it is, in my opion, not possible to take the current development state as an indicator for a market cap in a far away distant future (even 1 year, 5 years or 20 years)

the obvious simple solution is that you have to price in the development of the project until that point in the future is reached and you have to add the potential/niche of the coin. it is more a general problem than a specific one of xcn.

maybe the most elegant solution is the simplest one: which amount of btc inflow per day at current prices is needed to keep the price stable, that is probably also the reason why I asked for that in the xcn thread  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
July 31, 2014, 07:10:44 PM
Any thoughts on XCN (so called mini-blockchain implementation)? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annxcn-cryptonite-1st-mini-blockchain-coin-m7-pow-no-premine-713538

I just computed that the current price implies 22+ BTC inflow per day. I'd also add that the fully-mined market cap is 119600 BTC, which is close to a hundred million dollars.

That seems way out of line to me given the current state of the project.

interesting project - as far as I understand this has the potential to scale in a much better way than the current blockchains are doing.

I would like to discuss an economic issue you are referring to, which is somewhat complicated: afaik the fully mined market cap of this currency will not be reached in any foreeseable future (>20 years), but you try to value it in the current state of development. I think it is totally clear that this project in the current condition is not worth 119600 btc. but does this make sense? I think we can savely assume that if xcn somehow survives, the system is much further developed once it is fully mined (in 20 years) as it is now. the methodology of "valueing" very young projects with the final market cap is somehow semi-elegant. does anyone have a more elegant solution for this? probably to make it more clear: assume a new chain is started which reaches its market cap in ~5000 years and the emmission is brutally slow - it does not make sense to use this parameter does it?

The very long tail into the future is only a small factor though. Say in 5 years it will be 25% mined, so that's $25 million dollars even if you ignore the future. That's still pretty big given the current state.
July 31, 2014, 07:06:20 PM
Any thoughts on XCN (so called mini-blockchain implementation)? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annxcn-cryptonite-1st-mini-blockchain-coin-m7-pow-no-premine-713538

I just computed that the current price implies 22+ BTC inflow per day. I'd also add that the fully-mined market cap is 119600 BTC, which is close to a hundred million dollars.

interesting project - as far as I understand this has the potential to scale in a much better way than the current blockchains are doing.

I would like to discuss an economic issue you are referring to, which is somewhat complicated: afaik the fully mined market cap of this currency will not be reached in any foreeseable future (>20 years), but you try to value it in the current state of development. I think it is totally clear that this project in the current condition is not worth 119600 btc. but does this make sense? I think we can savely assume that if xcn somehow survives, the system is much further developed once it is fully mined (in 20 years) as it is now. the methodology of "valueing" very young projects with the final market cap is somehow semi-elegant. does anyone have a more elegant solution for this? probably to make it more clear: assume a new chain is started which reaches its market cap in ~5000 years and the emmission is brutally slow - it does not make sense to use this parameter does it?

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
July 31, 2014, 06:20:59 PM

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
July 31, 2014, 05:47:01 PM

What if I told you Ted Kaczynski was right, and everyone developing coins right now is doing freelance charity work to help debug the coming one world currency control grid, which could be accomplished as easily as making each member of the UN a DPOS delegate.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
July 31, 2014, 05:08:09 PM
Jed McCaleb stealth venture "Stellar" outed today.  Open Ripple clone.  Giving away 5000 of 1e11 stellar for your facebook login.  Bearish for Ripple.  (What isn't?)

also backed and funded by stripe... that might end up being quite interesting - especially as a complement to bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
July 31, 2014, 04:51:33 PM
Jed McCaleb stealth venture "Stellar" outed today.  Open Ripple clone.  Giving away 5000 of 1e11 stellar for your facebook login.  Bearish for Ripple.  (What isn't?)
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
July 31, 2014, 02:35:08 PM
Activity: 427
Merit: 250
July 31, 2014, 01:59:11 PM
Another developer from XC was pumping Cachecoin a few weeks ago. This whole scene thing with "XC" wreaks of manipulation, malice and heck of lot of red-tape and corruption. Apparently the premine was used to "hire" other people in the team, who were later announced on a day where they did another pump and dump as the announcements came in of some guys who said they will integrate this altcoin in ATM.

Links, please.
Activity: 135
July 31, 2014, 11:31:07 AM
Anyone care to review KeyCoin ??

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-key-keycoin-fair-launch-daily-updates-89-status-update-695457

Only 1,000,000 coins
POS
22 member Dev Team
See Dan MetCalf's comments viz a viz KeyCoin's autonomous solution
( Which is fully functional atm )

Lots of cheerleaders as the price runup has been substantial in the past week ..
Just interested in opinions if there is anything there or just a well orchestrated P&D ..
See the OP and posts #1664 and #1795 for the main features ..

Triff ..

I'd be worried of this novacoin(?) fork: https://bitbucket.org/keycoin/keycoin/commits/all

4 commits for a readme
2 for dns
2 for fork

All within the first two days of launch, nothing since then. 1 branch, 1 watcher .. yet 22(?) people on the team. Do they only have one or two coders? It's been two busy weeks now, surely a few of them could have at least followed it?

I wonder if this anonymous checkmark thing they talk about for sending anon tx's is literally just something to click?

Perfectly orchestrated Pump and Dump via feedback from shady developers who deleted their own altcoin github sources back in the day (XC). Another developer from XC was pumping Cachecoin a few weeks ago. This whole scene thing with "XC" wreaks of manipulation, malice and heck of lot of red-tape and corruption. Apparently the premine was used to "hire" other people in the team, who were later announced on a day where they did another pump and dump as the announcements came in of some guys who said they will integrate this altcoin in ATM.

You can also see some BTC-E trolls pumping KeyCoin at the moment. Same familiar faces. Everyone knows this too, they are just in it for doubling/tripling their BTC holdings and leave a lot of new forum members/crypto newbies bagholding who will inadvertently later on create threads about how awesome KeyCoin is and pollute other coin threads with their incessant shilling, while the puppet/pump masters are gone and onto the next anon coin. Same story over and over.

I think XC is the first such coin, along a now growing list of anon wannabe coins.
Activity: 209
July 31, 2014, 11:18:16 AM
To move the discussion from another thread. Even if POS algo is 100% secure until no one has at any point in time (present or past - present is enough for this consideration) 51% of coins, and if initially "fairly" distributed (e.g. with looong and "fair" POW) i don't thing that POS coin can be secure in the long run.

Let me give an illustrative example. Let POS phase start with power law distributed coin, i'll assume that security experts are in top of distribution - having on average more coins than an average Joe. It will soon (i think) become clear why this assumption will be satisfied sooner or later. Average Joe can be hacked more easily, and on average he is. Contrary to security experts which do it efficiently for themselves, now average Joe has to pay someone to secure his hot wallet (or converge to centralized solution) or take his wallet offline. Consequently, ppl less knowledgeable on the subject will stop having their coins in their hot wallets, on the average. So majority of coins will tend to just small group of ppl, on the average. Now i'll stop here, just wanted to give a possible trend of all pure POSs - and it is not unconditionally stable.

I argue that security experts will use recourses for staking several orders of magnitude more efficiently than an average Joe, so to Joe it becomes relatively expensive to stake. And this is not something that can (easily) happen with POW, as seems that POW gives much flatter playground. Consequentially, probability is that ppl will get relatively easily FUDed out of (even secure) POS coins - which just perpetuates this unstable process. And offc, i could be wrong Smiley
Activity: 427
Merit: 250
July 31, 2014, 09:54:28 AM

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-key-keycoin-fair-launch-daily-updates-89-status-update-695457

Only 1,000,000 coins
POS
22 member Dev Team

Lots of cheerleaders as the price runup has been substantial in the past week ..
Just interested in opinions if there is anything there or just a well orchestrated P&D ..

Triff ..

This one is pretty controversial.

From the one side, Dan Metcalf (XCurrency dev, if someone doesn't know) said a lot of good things about it.

From another side, they took XC's rev.1 code and built upon it a new coin, however failing to acknowledge this. At least in the opening post. I saw someone claimed they avoid this in their further posts as well, haven't checked myself.
kbm
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 31, 2014, 03:39:26 AM

Only 1,000,000 coins
POS
22 member Dev Team

Triff ..

I'd be worried of this novacoin(?) fork: https://bitbucket.org/keycoin/keycoin/commits/all

4 commits for a readme
2 for dns
2 for fork

All within the first two days of launch, nothing since then. 1 branch, 1 watcher .. yet 22(?) people on the team. Do they only have one or two coders? It's been two busy weeks now, surely a few of them could have at least followed it?

I wonder if this anonymous checkmark thing they talk about for sending anon tx's is literally just something to click?

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
July 30, 2014, 11:05:31 PM
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
July 30, 2014, 09:08:15 PM

Only 1,000,000 coins
POS
22 member Dev Team

Triff ..
Activity: 770
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
July 30, 2014, 10:46:22 AM
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/overstock-and-cryptocurrency/

"Overstock has already held extensive discussions with a company called CounterParty, which offers software that could help drive such a cryptosecurity..."

I do see CounterParty as being the most appropriate fit for Patrick's visions. Judging by his comments and wiki commits he seems to notice the numerous measurable benefits the platform offers over the competition.

As PhantomPhreak pointed out the CounterParty team also set a standard as the first major Bitcoin 2.0 project to have had any formal, comprensive, expert security audits of its codebase.

The first CounterParty audit was undertaken by respected Bitcoin Security researcher, and professional cryptographer with 8 Bitcoin CVE's under his belt. Sergio Demian Lerner

Who had this to say:

Quote from: Sergio Demian Lerner
Keeping the counterparty source code small and independent of the network client is a great design decision, from the point of view of security. Because of this Counterparty client is the smallest, readable and yet completely usable “alt-coin” I’ve ever seen.

The second audit was recently undertaken by Peter Todd, once again no significant security issues were found. Improvements/enhancements recommended by him are publicly listed on github for anyones perusal and discussion about their implementation Open issues pertinent to that audit here

This is a great approach, and Monero seems to be doing well to follow.

July 30, 2014, 10:02:57 AM
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/overstock-and-cryptocurrency/

"Overstock has already held extensive discussions with a company called CounterParty, which offers software that could help drive such a cryptosecurity..."
Jump to: