Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 126. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 976
Merit: 646
July 29, 2014, 07:44:36 AM
Is your target market only programmers? 99% of the people in the world don't know what 'bool' means. You flunk Marketing 101.

99.999% also have no idea what is monero, since it is only about 2000 people know esperanto Wink.

Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
July 29, 2014, 05:21:18 AM
Boolberry

In case the coherence of my upthread posts was lost on the reader, my initial enthusiasm about Boolberry was quickly muted when I realized they claim pruning which I (and apparently Monero devs) think is impossible. And their PoW hashing algorithm seems to lack entropy as I think about it more, thus is perhaps gameable (probably but I don't want to publicly assert 'probably' until I can elucidate how). The marketing and product strategy seems to also not be thought out. Thus any initial enthusiam about the quality of the developer has waned for me (although it is not outside the realm of possibility that he is really talented and was just being careless but won't do it again-- not likely).

I was readed the history and just curious, how people could make such conclusions without even understanding technology and what have done with that... ? This is sad to read this.

The only thing that was actually evaluated is the project name i guess.

Huh

What did I state above that is wrong?

You don't prune the blockchain, which is a potentially exponential savings. I was correct. You only discard a constant percentage amount of data. Amdal's law applied to data size applies.

The product and marketing strategy is a mess, because for example you misuse the term 'prune' from its accepted meaning for Bitcoin. Whose fault is the misunderstanding?

And the entropy of the PoW hash has not been cryptanalyzed? Yes or no?

Zoidberg I have seen your developer stereotype many times in my career. Prodigious coder. You think a few minor relevance or irrelevant (and perhaps even incorrect) optimizations makes a product strategy. This is why you can not be a product manager for commercial software project.

Edit: if the PoW hash is analyzed (and fixed if required) and can be relied upon, then the speed up is not a minor relevance. But I don't know yet if that analysis has been done? I don't have time to go reading all the threads on all the altcoins. Your marketing has to get this information out front and center.

Obviously english is not your primary language. Your community needs to aid you. This is the point the Monero proponents are making. You can't do it all alone.

Nobody's gamed it yet - while I agree it needs analysis, if you can, do it. It's easy to sit in your armchair and point out there's a possibility that there is a weakness, it's a whole different story to either look for one or get someone to. One is easy and worthless, the other is harder, yet constructive.
Activity: 976
Merit: 646
July 29, 2014, 07:37:10 AM

4. My cursory impression is it appears that Boolberry is not garnishing the same level of professionalism in the community and focus. My cursory impression is Zoidberg needs to be able to convince someone of smooth's caliber to lead the public side of Boolberry's face and also organize about adding developers, e.g. cryptanalysis of the PoW, etc..

My interpretations and gut instinct could be wrong, and I am open to be pointed to a link to that changes my mind.

Note the bitmonero launch was horrible. So they've come a long way in a short time. Boolberry could too if Zoidberg is serious about delegation.

If your technical capabilities are superior, it will be self-evident in your well organized PR materials, e.g. whitepaper, devs in your public threads, etc..

You are lashing out at Monero's success in community organization, because you focused on coding. Realize there is another stage after coding where you release and need community.

I agree with you here.

And this is the main reason why we are looking for partnership/investment now. We have technical ideas and ability to improve project(colored coins, multisig transactions etc), and we are looking for a credible person with marketing/PR experience.

dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
July 29, 2014, 07:36:04 AM
2. Next Monero seems to have more articulate and reasoned devs who are around to address technical points astutely, e.g. smooth and fluffypony (is drawingthesun a Monero dev?). If dga is a dev, you need to reign him in— his demeanor reflects badly on Monero.

Core team is listed on the official Monero thread: tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle

It does not include drawingthesun or dga although dga has contributed code (PoW) and DTS may have contributed as well (I don't know there are a lot of contributors now).

Correct.  I have contributed to both the XMR and BBR code.  I do not develop for any coins, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the cryptonotes because they're the most technically interesting coins I've seen arise.

(For those watching from home confused about why I'm replying to a reply, I have AnonyMint on ignore;  as you can probably tell from the tone of the comments, we seem to get along like baking soda and vinegar, and life is too short to let people waste your time.)
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
July 29, 2014, 06:13:04 AM
He fails to mention "refrain from including any sort of cryptanalysis to back up that algorithm. Upon which. Your entire. Coin. Is. Based. Ugh.".

Just to clarify (again) - there are only 7 members of the core team, as listed earlier. We do not make any such claims.

Please clarify your statement? Do you mean you disclaim the need for cryptanalysis of a new hash function used in PoW or do you disclaim something Wolf0 wrote?

Wolf0 I apologize to lose my temper, but I don't like the deal where you require me to do all work for your group, else I can't speak to common methodology in cryptography to offer some insights.

Everyone knows that cryptography breaks when your input entropy is broken. Duh!

That is why it is so important to insure your random generator isn't subject to a birthday attack. The same applies to the random oracles you use when doing lookups in a scratchpad.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
July 29, 2014, 06:08:11 AM
He fails to mention "refrain from including any sort of cryptanalysis to back up that algorithm. Upon which. Your entire. Coin. Is. Based. Ugh.".

Just to clarify (again) - there are only 7 members of the core team, as listed earlier. We do not make any such claims.
July 29, 2014, 05:43:42 AM
Nobody's gamed it yet

Proof? Evidence?

Anybody can blow any nonsense words out their arse. Cryptographers understand that until you do cryptanalysis, you don't fucking know.

Nobody's gamed it yet - while I agree it needs analysis, if you can, do it. It's easy to sit in your armchair and point out there's a possibility that there is a weakness, it's a whole different story to either look for one or get someone to. One is easy and worthless, the other is harder, yet constructive.

I am so tired of that genre of Dunning-Kruger illogic.

If you can't fucking get a clue, then please stop forcing me to come back and repeat the same damn cryptography education for you again.

You may never know that someone is getting a disproportionate amount of coins because they cracked the PoW and didn't tell you. Wink

What 'caution' and what 'crap' again?

If I didn't have something much more potentially lucrative that is keeping me fully preoccupied, I would endeavor to go attempt to crack these PoW and keep it secret to make a lot of money mining. Maybe someone already has. And you don't know!

You want to criticize Zerocash for having unvetted crypto, but you won't accept the same criticism when you generate a new hash function and someone points out that the design deviates glaringly from accepted cryptography practices and you ignore it.

It behoves you to go review the Round 1 candidates for SHA-3 and see that many were broken and they were designed by cryptographers who did some analysis on their designs. Perhaps they were not broken in a way that would impact use in PoW, but these were (later broken) designs attempted to be reasonably correct by cryptographer designers, so one wouldn't expect major snafus.

Whereas, the egregious mistakes (radical experiments) made on these two PoW hashes by non-cryptographers are quite glaring. I don't know for sure they lead to significant breakage.

And you don't know either. So STFU. Mofo.  Tongue

P.S. what I did from my armchair was give up extremely valuable time that I should be applying to other work, to be kind of enough to explain the potential vulnerabilities I see. As a starting point, for someone who has time to dig and study further. Also as warning and clue to novices who have no idea otherwise.

Edit: take it from the words of your own paid cryptographer review:

http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_review.pdf

Quote from: SURAE NOETHER
It's absolutely unconscionable to to come up with a new "Proof of Work Al-
gorithm" and then refrain from including any sort of pseudocode to describe that
algorithm. Upon which. Your entire. Coin. Is. Based. Ugh.

Edit#2: also it has been alleged that the Cryptonote PoW was likely a trojan planted to mine most of the coins for the developers of Bytecoin. So it was perhaps never designed to be secure, but rather designed to maximize obfuscation of the alleged Bytecoin scam.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
July 29, 2014, 05:01:43 AM
You don't need to resort to power law wealth for masternodes to be Sybil attacked. If they are an investment that is priced for a market return then someone who wants to also use them to spy has a competitive advantage. That being the case one should expect that every masternode in a competitive market is secretly spying. Similar to your argument about who is providing Tor bandwidth for free.

I doubt they would "destroy their investment" by spying, as with all intelligence sources the spying would be kept secret in order to protect its value.

Every masternode could be spying, but unless they are co-operating there's not much for them to gain. Competing investors co-operating in competitive market? Nahh...

But the thing is, look at the masternode distribution, you don't really need a sophisticated attack - a simple email to amazon, ovh and do from the FBI and they have access to 90% of them.

Distribution by operator is what it is mainly because the first guides written on how to set up a masternode used Amazon as an example, and people were already familiar with those big operators. So the people who wanted to have a node running asap with minimal effort started using those. We'll see if the distribution will change as time passes, probably at least some kind of education on the matter is needed.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 29, 2014, 04:11:44 AM
Sybil attack on masternodes (even if unlikely?)

You don't need to resort to power law wealth for masternodes to be Sybil attacked. If they are an investment that is priced for a market return then someone who wants to also use them to spy has a competitive advantage. That being the case one should expect that every masternode in a competitive market is secretly spying. Similar to your argument about who is providing Tor bandwidth for free.

I doubt they would "destroy their investment" by spying, as with all intelligence sources the spying would be kept secret in order to protect its value.

That is more lucid than my and your prior attempts to explain that upthread. I'm a bit cross-eyed at the moment. Did 21 hours straight on Saturday...

But the thing is, look at the masternode distribution, you don't really need a sophisticated attack - a simple email to amazon, ovh and do from the FBI and they have access to 90% of them.
July 29, 2014, 03:18:55 AM

That is more lucid than my and your prior attempts to explain that upthread. I'm a bit cross-eyed at the moment. Did 21 hours straight on Saturday...
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 29, 2014, 03:14:01 AM
2. Boolberry should not be in a position to overtake Monero based on it's minimal and questionable changes.

Odd phrasing. While both Boolberry and Monero are based on Bytecoin only one has "minimal and questionable changes."

I guess you mean BBR, as Monero has a lot more code contributed to it and is far more diversed from the CN reference code.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
July 29, 2014, 03:03:54 AM

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
July 29, 2014, 02:50:00 AM
2. Boolberry should not be in a position to overtake Monero based on it's minimal and questionable changes.

Odd phrasing. While both Boolberry and Monero are based on Bytecoin only one has "minimal and questionable changes."
July 29, 2014, 02:41:36 AM
2. Next Monero seems to have more articulate and reasoned devs who are around to address technical points astutely, e.g. smooth and fluffypony (is drawingthesun a Monero dev?). If dga is a dev, you need to reign him in— his demeanor reflects badly on Monero.

Edit: Btw, I was not lumping you together dga. I was admiring your posts, until you said I ruined my reputation. Lol.

This is my position:

1. Monero, without another anonymous currency competing should continue to cement its place as the main anonymous cryptocurrency.

IF: Boolberry overtakes Monero then the precedent is set for some other CN clone to overtake Boolberry based on marketing hype.

DarkCoin if evaluated solely on anonymity plus and minuses is also in the competitive mix.

As compared to Cyptonote, although its unlinkability and untraceability are subject to potential Sybil attack on masternodes (even if unlikely?), it can at least offer the hope of exponential pruning. They have to work out a balance between premixing scaling and blockchain bloat scaling. At least they have those variables to play with, and Cryptonote doesn't (unless not mixing is considered a variable). Mixed coins in Cryptonote can't be pruned.

DarkCoin may be the sleeper that sneaks up on us. One thing I can admire about Evan. He is a doer, not a talker like me.

DarkCoin's design feels messy or unelegant to me, but if it works with all the duct tape, then it works.

3. Ethereum may not compete for anon, but it will take the spot light away from Monero, not sure how to use this to my advantage.

A vaporware, IPO elephant in the room that may disintegrate or successfully stomp on everything.

4. Zerocash that does not need an accumulator and has been extensively crypto-analyzed will be a major threat. This may not ever exist.

Zerocash without an accumulator isn't Zerocash any more. Since the I2P/Tor is also not guaranteed to be anonymous, users might just decide Zerocash is a cleaner elegant solution. I think you dismiss it too easily. Strange they are totally quiet though since May.
July 29, 2014, 02:01:41 AM
I edited my summary comparison, because am I correct that Boolberry doesn't have nor plan to be adding I2P/Tor support as Monero is?

Also added '*' category for comparison enumeration.

He's full of shit. He loves to hate coins. He is not contributing to shit.

Lol. Love you too bro.  Kiss
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
July 29, 2014, 01:40:34 AM
Anonymint is releasing a coin?

Never. But that doesn't mean that I didn't secretly contribute to a coin that is released. I will never tell you.

I for one appreciate your contributions to crypto, especially when they are in the more level headed vein as they have been the last week or so.  I hope you don't mind me pointing it out, but your tone has been far more reasonable recently, and it makes your positions and arguments much easier to navigate and consider.

I would always be interested in what coins you contribute to, and which you feel have serious potential.

But secrecy is your prerogative obviously. Wink
July 29, 2014, 01:33:42 AM
5. Anonymint's super coin, keep an eye on this. There might be more chance Monero is developed to scale before this super coin is released.

Never. But that doesn't mean that I didn't secretly contribute to a coin that is released. I will never tell you. I will never use AnonyMint's forum reputation to market a coin, so you don't have to bother slandering it.

Never count vaporware as "sure to be released". Shit happens.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
July 29, 2014, 01:29:24 AM
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
July 29, 2014, 01:29:07 AM
1) Ok, so we are all using assumptions of whether he dumped or held his instamined boolberries. My assumptions are based on just how, unlawful and untruthful a lot of seeming lee "honest" folk in the crypto scene are, I Highly doubt that he dumped anything/much.

2) There is obviously a clear winner, as Monero(formerly Bitmonero) was launched before boolberry

3) Anonymint was wrong with that statement, as I remember seeing another user correct him, along with the fact that accoriding to studies, 5 is the optimal team number, Monero has a team of around 7, which is way closer to the optimal number of 5, than boolberries team of 2. Source: http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/04/agile-optimal-team-size

1)We agree on the bolded part.

2)Monero was released with a crippled hash that was instamined by Bytecoin devs. That is not a fair launch.

3)I am not a dev and never claimed to be. There are other devs.

Wait what? 2) you're claiming claymore is a Bytecoin Dev? What are you basing that on? Can I see some proof?

As far as I can tell he's just a talented programmer that wants to make money. I don't agree with his tactics but no way does this qualify Monero as a premine. This FUD campaign is so lame. Try again.

Where did I say Claymore is a Bytecoin dev? That is silly. I was referring to the intentionally crippled hash. I never said premine either.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
July 29, 2014, 01:24:40 AM
And what is your point? I have made and lost a lot of money, and continue to do so. Smiley

What else would I say I am? I invest for myself and am not an official spokesperson for any of the things I invest in. Also if you recall I was one of the only shareholders to ever warn of newbies and never attempted to pump the stock. Please read all my activemining posts, I lost a lot, but I never tried to save myself by dragging others in, I always warned off others even to my own detriment.

And I made a lot of bitcoin in other investments, Bitfinex, JustDice, etc... Some work out and some don't, what exactly is your point?

Labcoin on the other hand was silly, I went a little mad with that one, my posts are quite embarrassing.

EDIT: Labcoin was my first exposure to this Bitcoin world and I behaved badly, however, I certainly changed my ways by the time ActiveMining came about and started to fall into a bottomless pit of Kens retirement.

it's ok. everybody has won and lost some money here, myself included
just easy to be so sure about something at the time- that becomes painfully obvious in retrospect.
You wanted to bet last time after I offered, i think you never actually put the btc down in the end which was good because it would of added insult to injury.

I'm not trying to argue that you will lose money on xmr, of course this is nowhere near the same thing--
just you seem totally adamant right now xmr is the one true coin, and bbr is nothing. I am not I just think it's a little shortsighted to dismiss it that way that's all, or maybe it's just me that's the boolberry beleiber and thinks the market cap disparity between the two is wholly underserved. Anyway we can have our differences., now I'm gonna stop ranting

I am not certain at all in Monero being the one. This is my position:

I am only adamant about Monero keeping its lead over Boolberry. I take Hal's position but instead of Bitcoin/Litecoin I apply it to Monero/Boolberry. Boolberry does not have enough reason to overtake the market leader. The POW and pruning are nothing amazing and not what the focus should be on. True pruning perhaps.

This is my position:

1. Monero, without another anonymous currency competing should continue to cement its place as the main anonymous cryptocurrency.

IF: Boolberry overtakes Monero then the precedent is set for some other CN clone to overtake Boolberry based on marketing hype.
Under this conditions it's likely something like DuckNote would replace Boolberry and so on and so fourth.
DO: I am out of CryptoNote for good once this happens. (In fact I'll probably release drawingthesuncoin to compete!)

3. Ethereum may not compete for anon, but it will take the spot light away from Monero, not sure how to use this to my advantage.
4. Zerocash that does not need an accumulator and has been extensively crypto-analyzed will be a major threat. This may not ever exist.

5. Anonymint's super coin, keep an eye on this. There might be more chance Monero is developed to scale before this super coin is released.
Jump to: