Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 28. (Read 387457 times)

Activity: 410
Merit: 250
Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com
September 15, 2014, 10:55:22 PM

The first question that comes to mind is how does one prevent the transfer of the bergstake?

its not a currency, its locked onto the original address,  so only way to transfer is to share the private-key. 

So what happens when the original bergstake holders die? I can see an attack here. Sell heavily discounted mining equipment to people with very low life expectancy, wait for them to die and then launch the attack.

it becomes an inheritance. seriously, if this is the only attack, we are in great shape!
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
September 15, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
XMR has been stable for a while, and in crypo a long period of a stable price usually means a spike is coming.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
September 15, 2014, 03:33:58 PM
Sending out long-term buy signals on Quark (QRK) right now...

https://twitter.com/thefunkybits/status/511412806647046144

I have to say that I became interested in Quark due to the user digitalindustry promoting it. Unfortunately my conclusions do not support investing into it, since the research confirmed my earlier belief that it is a p&d-coin with a small early community of large holders, a somewhat large "community" of bagholders from the last year's pump, and the coin is in many ways not even secure Sad

Details.

I am not saying whether it is a good pump now or not, but the long-term value of the coin is zero.

Fair enough, I would agree that the long-term value proposition is shaky, but I think it's a great mid-term hold (2-6 months)

What draws me to QRK is the fact that the total supply (247 Million) has already been mined and only 1 Million per year will be released to incentivize the network and anyone mining this will be doing so at a loss until the price starts to rise.

For me - a small fish investor, I can't help but get in on the pump!
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
September 15, 2014, 02:38:13 PM

I have to say that I became interested in Quark due to the user digitalindustry promoting it. Unfortunately my conclusions do not support investing into it, since the research confirmed my earlier belief that it is a p&d-coin with a small early community of large holders, a somewhat large "community" of bagholders from the last year's pump, and the coin is in many ways not even secure Sad

Details.

I am not saying whether it is a good pump now or not, but the long-term value of the coin is zero.
legendary
Activity: 1218
September 15, 2014, 02:26:55 PM

donator
September 15, 2014, 12:37:35 PM
I reiterated my previous proposal for matching exchanges in BTC/ALT trade.

By checking the link, you have all the information required to make this happen in your favorite alt
- in a week,
- no coding skills or investments (except your time) are required, and the
- result will make the alt's in question liquidity go up in the factor of 5x-10x when the largest holders have joined the system.

The incentive for them to join is
- negative trading fees,
- increased liquidity of their investment, and
- 90-95% less funds at a systemic counterparty risk compared to trading in an exchange that has 100% guarantee requirement of customer assets (all 24/7 exchanges except ones with leverage).
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
September 15, 2014, 12:25:53 PM
Here is the one-week resolution chart for Litecoin vs Yuan from the liquid OKCoin exchange. Note that the rightmost candle, which just started its week, is relatively close to the resistance line that I drew from the December 2013 peak. It would be notable if LTC punches up through this trendline as did Dogecoin recently.

legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
September 15, 2014, 12:21:32 PM

It's still possible of course that we're dealing with some sort of ultra-intelligent sociopath who's planning on pulling a Gox level scam down the road and this is just him laying the ground work. The thing about that is we would never be able to tell the difference anyway at this point and you could say the same about anyone who appears to be honestly running any large project. I doubt that is the case though personally.

Based on jl777's posts, I think jl777's motivations are primarily ideological, not financial

note: I am invested in jl777 projects

Yes, I agree. That seems to be the case. He's very passionate about his views and often gets off track with long anti-authoritarian rants and tirades against fiat. lol Tongue

He seems to view superNET as a way to get the world away from fiat. "Unite disparate cryptocurrencies by fostering collaboration" is how he puts it. Makes sense, I hope the technological part can come together.
Activity: 493
Merit: 500
September 15, 2014, 11:44:49 AM

It's still possible of course that we're dealing with some sort of ultra-intelligent sociopath who's planning on pulling a Gox level scam down the road and this is just him laying the ground work. The thing about that is we would never be able to tell the difference anyway at this point and you could say the same about anyone who appears to be honestly running any large project. I doubt that is the case though personally.

Based on jl777's posts, I think jl777's motivations are primarily ideological, not financial

note: I am invested in jl777 projects
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
September 15, 2014, 11:23:23 AM
Anoncoin is releasing their implentation of Zerocoin in little over a month

As I promised two weeks ago, here is an estimate for completion of Zerocoin-in-Anoncoin that I feel has a very high chance of being met (a "hard deadline").

By October 15, I'll have Zerocoin integration in "alpha" state, and on a testnet for anybody to try.

By November 1, I'll have Zerocoin in mainnet, which means you can use the ANC you have now to mint and spend zerocoins. It will still be in "beta", meaning you should pay attention to our website, IRC, and our bitcointalk.org thread for security updates to the wallet and anoncoind; this is especially important if you are a miner or running a relay node.

There have been some price action following this announcement

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/anoncoin/#charts
Activity: 517
September 15, 2014, 10:53:13 AM
Este Nuno, thanks for your posting btw. Smiley

Like I've said before, the reason I find this interesting is that it's not just someone writing ideas on a message board. There's actual code behind it. If this were simply someone posting ideas it wouldn't be worthy of discussion.

Code is easy to produce. Good code is hard to produce. Good code is useless if the concepts behind it are flawed.

Let's reduce the case of superNET to a simple example. Two altcoins, alt1 and alt2. SuperNET claims that I can use it to send coins from alt1 to alt2 and vice versa, right?
A few questions regarding this:

• how are the ledgers between alt1 and alt2 linked?
  • how is the exchange rate of alt1 vs. alt2 determined?
  • how do they prevent flaws from alt1 influencing alt2 (or the whole network)?

So, what I miss is a clear description of the cryptographic concepts behind it. And everytime I ask about it, people either answer "the idea is so awesome!!!" or "we use JSON/REST and Teleport whatever!".  Huh

The best part about this is that there's no risk just to watch and observe and possibly help where needed. That's what I'm doing myself and that's what other people I know who are more capable than I are planning on doing.

That's true. Cheesy

Activity: 517
September 15, 2014, 10:43:46 AM
The idea behind superNET is not that complicated really. The technical implementation of all of it may be, but the result, or at least what it intends to offer is pretty simple.

I think that is my main issue (I probably explained it badly before): all explanations either high-level and very broad, or descend into irrelevant technical details.
I haven't yet seen a usable explanation (whitepaper or the like) on how this coin-connecting network will work.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
September 15, 2014, 10:34:32 AM
What about an emission based on the s-curve of adotion?

1) very few coins exist and can be mined. the devs maily mine to test the coin. If they want, they can choose to not make this phase public. The coins mined in this phase are the reward for the devs.
2) coin goes public. people try the coin and learn about the new technology.
3) people know that the inflation will go up soon and try to anticipate the coming monetary inflation by creating awareness of the coin. Big (professional) miners jump in
4) more and more people learn the existance of the coin, buy some, maybe mine some. only 50% of the total coins are in existence
5) the people who are risk averse now adopt the coin, they buy small amounts
6) the new coin is adopted by the community
7) coin is now mainstream. No more inflation

This emission will ensure, in my optinion, that the coin will have a relatively stable growth in exchange rate.
Activity: 471
September 15, 2014, 10:31:56 AM
I beg you to use the almighty ignore button and stop quoting that troll. Please.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
September 15, 2014, 10:20:51 AM
One thing I want to point out quickly regarding the chance that jl777 is pulling some sort of scam(I posted something similar in another thread):

The superNET funds are going to be held in distributed escrow. And it's actually worked out right now, due to the quickness of the launch that James currently holds a very large amount of NXT. And this amount of money is currently more then he's ever likely to hold again during the course of the project.

Complete bullshit, jl777 has now collected over 27000000 NXT (that's 2100 BTC or over 1 MILLION US DOLLARS) from selling the shady TOKEN assets in his NXT account to that only he, I repeat, ONLY HE HIMSELF has access.

http://www.nxtreporting.com/?ac=NXT-MRBN-8DFH-PFMK-A4DBM

He has this amount and can run away at any given time, unexpectedly and suddenly. Don't dare to state fairytales. He said his aim is 10000 BTC so don't expect him to run away before that date (I don't). *Mark my words*, once 10k BTC is full jl777 is going to be *vanished*. You SuperNET cult members will all cry like little babies then mourning for your losses that will never come back because the smart one took it. Do people ever learn? Do they ever learn? It's horrendous...

Shut up and go away. 

Thanks.
Activity: 448
Merit: 252
September 15, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
One thing I want to point out quickly regarding the chance that jl777 is pulling some sort of scam(I posted something similar in another thread):

The superNET funds are going to be held in distributed escrow. And it's actually worked out right now, due to the quickness of the launch that James currently holds a very large amount of NXT. And this amount of money is currently more then he's ever likely to hold again during the course of the project.

Complete bullshit, jl777 has now collected over 27000000 NXT (that's 2100 BTC or over 1 MILLION US DOLLARS) from selling the shady TOKEN assets in his NXT account to that only he, I repeat, ONLY HE HIMSELF has access.

http://www.nxtreporting.com/?ac=NXT-MRBN-8DFH-PFMK-A4DBM

He has this amount and can run away at any given time, unexpectedly and suddenly. Don't dare to state fairytales. He said his aim is 10000 BTC so don't expect him to run away before that date (I don't). *Mark my words*, once 10k BTC is full jl777 is going to be *vanished*. You SuperNET cult members will all cry like little babies then mourning for your losses that will never come back because the smart one took it. Do people ever learn? Do they ever learn? It's horrendous...
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
September 15, 2014, 10:18:56 AM
It seems like a lot of people tend to get the impression that he's running some sort of con when they first encounter him and his writings. And I can kind of see why considering the amounts of money we're talking about and the causal way he talks about it. But I've also not encountered anyone yet who's spent the time to fully familiarize themselves with what he's doing and still hold that opinion. If this thing was intended to be a scam then he's failed miserably at it because I'm fairly certain that he could have easily arranged the situation to be one where he held nearly all the funds raised for the project. It doesn't really add up so far.

Based on my (very limited) understanding on all of this.  The angle here is that jl777 owns many / most of the assets being aggregated into the SuperNET fund.  By combining and selling the assets in a single commodity - he's creating much more demand for his assets that had a much lower demand and price previously.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this.  Just that that seems to be the "angle" to me.  The term "network" has created a demand for assets he held that previously didn't have much demand.

People are rapidly learning in crypto that the shortest route to big bucks is controlled supply + increased demand.
Activity: 336
September 15, 2014, 10:13:22 AM
Too bad there is no multisig in NXT yet, it is scheduled for later this year.
Yeah, if his plan is to run, he will do it very soon, won't take long to wait what happens.
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
September 15, 2014, 10:10:44 AM

The superNET funds are going to be held in distributed escrow. And it's actually worked out right now, due to the quickness of the launch that James currently holds a very large amount of NXT. And this amount of money is currently more then he's ever likely to hold again during the course of the project. So if his plan was to scam a large sum of money he's either going to do in with in the next few days or he's not going to at all. I think it's pretty clear that he's not going to do it at this point. The window of opportunity for him to scam is closing rapidly.

I've done a fair amount of reading in to the project and watched the way he handles issues related to money and I'm pretty confident that he's legit.

The biggest issue is finding people that can be trusted to escrow large amounts of money. I believe he intends to make extensive use of multisig so that might help in that regard.

It seems like a lot of people tend to get the impression that he's running some sort of con when they first encounter him and his writings. And I can kind of see why considering the amounts of money we're talking about and the causal way he talks about it(edit: his approach to securing the money though isn't casual). But I've also not encountered anyone yet who's spent the time to fully familiarize themselves with what he's doing and still hold that opinion. If this thing was intended to be a scam then he's failed miserably at it because I'm fairly certain that he could have easily arranged the situation to be one where he held nearly all the funds raised for the project. It doesn't really add up so far.

donator
September 15, 2014, 08:12:58 AM
The best part about this is that there's no risk just to watch and observe and possibly help where needed. That's what I'm doing myself and that's what other people I know who are more capable than I are planning on doing.

Exactly this +1.  Smiley

Good ideas, such as cryptocurrency, benefit everyone - holders and non-holders alike!
Pages:
Jump to: