Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 32. (Read 387457 times)

Activity: 517
Merit: 501
September 11, 2014, 03:39:48 AM
On Ubuntu 12.04 (GNU/Linux). I get bitmonerod using 4.8 GB - 4.9 GB of virtual memory and 2.4 GB of memory. This is on an 8 GB system. 

Same here, same OS/ram, x64
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
September 11, 2014, 03:23:53 AM
Right now.  I have paid for goods and services in XMR myself.  It's not hard to do, really.  You just find a motivated seller and offer a fair deal.

Good to hear that. Can you say more about that?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
September 11, 2014, 02:35:28 AM
The main point of my post is still valid. In its current state, XMR requires a lot of resources. If you "extrapolate the blockchain size vs time and figure out when the daemon will not load on a plain vanilla Win build with 8GB 4GB. Unless the database is complete at that time, new users will be unable to try out XMR and those already using XMR will lose functionality."

I agree. The current blockchain memory usage is about 2.5 GB (the actual blockchain is about 1 GB but it seems to bloat up by about 2.5x when loaded into memory, the reasons for which were explained by crypto_zoidberg on the BBR thread, since BBR is about the same as XMR in this respect). The natural growth rate seems to be something less than 10 MB per day. At that rate we have at least 160 days until blockchain size increase by 1.6 GB and therefore memory usage increases by about 4 GB (putting an 8 GB system in the same spot as 4 GB system today).

A tighter deadline is a memory increase by 1.5 GB which which will likely make things uncomfortable (but possibly still usable) on 4 GB systems even with virtual memory. That corresponds to a blockchain size increase of 400 MB, which is something more than 40 days (since the 10 GB estimate above was conservative).

Hopefully we will have a database functional by then.

Bitcoin and all altcoins except XMR run on her emachine.

I thought all users were welcome, not just uber geeks.

True, it wasn't our bad idea to load everything into RAM. We are fixing it though.

On Ubuntu 12.04 (GNU/Linux). I get bitmonerod using 4.8 GB - 4.9 GB of virtual memory and 2.4 GB of memory. This is on an 8 GB system. 
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants
September 11, 2014, 01:45:12 AM

1. You've got to make the anonymous currency popular enough that you less often need to convert it to fiat in order to use it. The anonymous coin must be a currency, not a silly investor pump like Monero.

I believe if Bitcoin or any other public ledger crypto becomes that ubiquitous Monero can ride on it's popularity as transactions can be done anonymously with a single bitcoin point with a single address for a single transaction.  And Monero becomes a store of value. 

In this case Monero can also begin to be used directly for transactions.

Simple.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
September 11, 2014, 01:12:51 AM
1. You've got to make the anonymous currency popular enough that you less often need to convert it to fiat in order to use it. The anonymous coin must be a currency, not a silly investor pump like Monero.
Edit: if you want to talk about scams, look at Monero's emission curve which was designed to give most of the coins to your group of early investors (so you are not a scammer  Huh ):

This is roughly the opposite of the truth.  The faster the emission, the lower the price.  The lower the price the easier it is for persons of limited means to acquire.  A pump scheme favors the insiders.  In the case of Monero, insiders were not favored.  The bytecoin scammers were favored by privileged information about the crippled hash implementation.  That advantage was elminated rather quickly, and means little now.  They have probably spent most of their mined coins in conducting attacks on Monero already.

Professional service providers in my locale are already accepting Monero as payment for services rendered.  That is not true of any other privacy-enhanced crypto, to my knowledge.  Real use.  Real currency.  Right now.  I have paid for goods and services in XMR myself.  It's not hard to do, really.  You just find a motivated seller and offer a fair deal.

2. You've got to make it such that when you do convert it to fiat, you can provide your private keys if necessary and it can't be proven that you story of where you obtained the funds can't be proven false. (Obviously I am withholding some details on my thoughts here).

That would be a relatively small change to Monero.  You should submit a pull request if it is an itch you want to scratch.  I have no intention of ever converting a single XMR into fiat.  I'll just buy what I need to buy, with XMR.  If exigent circumstances require it, I could just buy gold, to impress the primitives with shiny, as required.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
September 10, 2014, 11:43:52 PM
FATCA & How It is Destroying International Commerce

This is what I posted upthread how the powers-that-be will eventually make it is impossible to get enough cash if you can't document where the cash come from and is going to.

This is why ring-signatures are useless anonymity if you need to convert some crypto-currency to fiat.

Thus follows only two solutions:

2. You've got to make it such that when you do convert it to fiat, you can provide your private keys if necessary and it can't be proven that you story of where you obtained the funds can't be proven false. (Obviously I am withholding some details on my thoughts here).

P.S. sooner or later readers wil learn that I am rarely wrong about the future when I've researched it extensively for the past 9 years. To the poster who says Armstrong would be rich if his model was always correct—he is.

Edit: I don't have time for stupid shit! We have a serious problem in the world now.

Edit: if you want to talk about scams, look at Monero's emission curve which was designed to give most of the coins to your group of early investors (so you are not a scammer  Huh ):

Emission curve variants

http://i.imgur.com/jSu2EQU.png
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants
September 10, 2014, 09:54:00 PM
In order to continue attracting the most number of new users, the database update would need to be completed.

Absolutely, totally true and correct.  

Now can we please go a 4 pages without  any more whinging about it?  (Not pointed at you specifically, btc-mike.)

Here's a proposal:  Anyone whinging for the next week, who hasn't donated at least 100 XMR to the core address (cf. XMR OP), gets whacked.  

Do you mean you are gonna hitman them?
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
September 10, 2014, 09:50:51 PM
In order to continue attracting the most number of new users, the database update would need to be completed.

Now can we please go a 4 pages without  any more whinging about it?  (Not pointed at you specifically, btc-mike.)

Here's a proposal:  Anyone whinging for the next week, who hasn't donated at least 100 XMR to the core address (cf. XMR OP), gets whacked.  

LOL - I'm done with that, but now I have issues with whinging. Would you please use whining? These UK phrases confuse me.
pa
Activity: 528
September 10, 2014, 09:17:30 PM

Here's a proposal:  Anyone whinging for the next week, who hasn't donated at least 100 XMR to the core address (cf. OP), gets whacked. 

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
September 10, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

September 10, 2014, 06:32:21 PM

I'm also interested in this, so I started a thread where we can go discuss it:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/libraries-that-parse-the-forum-777758

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
September 10, 2014, 05:41:21 PM
In light of the recent Satoshi hack it made me start thinking about the bitcoin "backup coin".

How long until from a technical perspective a cryptonote coin (Probably Monero or Boolberry) can handle the # of addresses & transaction volume of bitcoin?  (Knowing that litecoin COULD is partially where I believe it's value comes from)

That´s no problem to handle from a technical perspective.

So Monero can immediately handle 5 million accounts and 100,000 tx/day?

Number of accounts is not an issue.

100K tx/day (more than Bitcoin BTW, but perhaps you intended to allow for growth and/or daily variation) is approximately one transaction per second, which is not an issue at all in terms of bandwidth or CPU processing. The block size would grow to accommodate the transactions, and the one thing we've seen from the recent attacks is that the block size growth works. There is a soft cap on the block size that was added to the implementation (not the protocol) but that can be raised easily, and the current cap would likely accommodate about 70K average sized tx per day (more than Bitcoin most days).

It becomes a bit of an issue in terms of storage for the blockchain, at about 12 GB per month, but not prohibitive (multi-TB drives are readily available and cheap). Memory would quickly become a problem so the database is a requirement here.

As a stopgap, larger servers could still handle a RAM blockchain for a year or longer, but this isn't useful without some sort of lightweight clients (that don't exist). Exchange wallets would still be usable, as long as exchanges have a large server to run the Monero node and wallet. But this becomes quite centralized, so finishing the database support is much better.

You won't be running a full node on a cheap laptop, although Moore's law (and friends) means cheap laptops might catch up. (You couldn't run today's version of a Bitcoin full node on a cheap laptop from 5 years ago; it is possible to run on one now, though somewhat painful.)

tldr. Database becomes more urgent. Some growing pains would probably show up. But yes it would work.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
amarha
September 10, 2014, 03:59:35 PM
I have parsed the ANN topics ...
Programmatically? Source code available?
Yes, in PHP. I did not make this code to be public so it's crap and pretty messy, but if you want it here it is anyway:
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!RgtBGYgL!Qg7n540VNadNhTa1eaIJj3xdDVCY79mqDROdfnjAI6c

Bit OT, but is there a reliable library that parses the forum (all of it)? Does anyone
know how eg http://blockchained.com/ works?

I'm also interested in this if anyone can point to some topic or answer directly? It's not only blockchained , one guy is running a completely paralel forum (https://bitcointa.lk/) with all afterward deleted posts, so that you can track if a user was removing his posts here.

I have a crazy idea to do a text mining / dictionary analysis on some users/threads. Is it possible for someone not having admin access, to extract threads from back-end not to parse the html?

I'm also interested in this, so I started a thread where we can go discuss it:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/libraries-that-parse-the-forum-777758

Activity: 299
Merit: 250
September 10, 2014, 12:09:49 PM
Yes, in PHP. I did not make this code to be public so it's crap and pretty messy, but if you want it here it is anyway:
Code:

Bit OT, but is there a reliable library that parses the forum (all of it)? Does anyone

I'm also interested in this if anyone can point to some topic or answer directly? It's not only blockchained , one guy is running a completely paralel forum (https://bitcointa.lk/) with all afterward deleted posts, so that you can track if a user was removing his posts here.

I have a crazy idea to do a text mining / dictionary analysis on some users/threads. Is it possible for someone not having admin access, to extract threads from back-end not to parse the html?
September 10, 2014, 02:59:33 AM
Code:

September 10, 2014, 02:58:09 AM
I already posted this in the monero topic, but I think it's worth posting here as well. I have parsed the ANN topic for monero, boolberry, bytecoin, ducknote and darkcoin. Figured it would be interesting to see these results.

I put them into tables and graphs so its a little easier to compare.

Thanks a bunch TheKoziTwo and bobabouey2, very helpful.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
September 10, 2014, 12:37:50 AM
Omg, granny's recertified e-machines Simpron won't play Crysis 5 in Quad HD and torrent muh furry pr0n and resync Munero from scratch ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!1!!!!`1~`!!1  
Obviously, this means Monero is teh huge failed jerk of circular proportions.   Angry   Roll Eyes   Grin

*insists on running powerful, complex alpha state software*
*refuses to learn how to adjust swap file and set task priorities*

All users are welcome, but being an uber geek doesn't hurt.  True for Bitcoin and also true for Monero.

If you tried running a full BTC node on granny's emachine, the hard drive would make sad clicking noises, then the entire thing would melt down into an angry puddle of plastic, wires, and toxic fumes.

Those who wish to run unoptimized powerful new software should learn to upgrade their toaster's hardware or get the most out of its OS.  That's how you become an uber geek.   Smiley

Defenestration is the answer here.

Granny's eMachine is probably upgradable to 4GB RAM and likely runs Windows Vista. Replace the stock Windows Vista with GNU/Linux 64bit or 32bit PAE kernel and Monero will run fine. Once the hardware is freed from having to accommodate the DRM in Windows Vista a lot of the problems are solved. The saving in needless propriety software licenses can easily pay for the extra RAM.

By the way I run a XBT full node using a GNU/Linux OS on a 10+ year old laptop that still has its Windows 2000 logo and a built in floppy drive. No angry puddle of molten plastic or toxic fumes yet.

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson but most computer users are dumb. They do not know how to change the OS, adjust the VM settings or even upgrade the RAM. Either it works or it doesn't. A higher percentage of users on this forum can do all that, but there are still many that can't. Congratulations on running XBT on bare minimum hw, that does not apply to the majority of users here.

Additionally, there are users in developing countries (China, India, etc) that don't have the the $ to upgrade their toaster. They get left out of XMR fun.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
September 09, 2014, 10:50:07 PM
Omg, granny's recertified e-machines Simpron won't play Crysis 5 in Quad HD and torrent muh furry pr0n and resync Munero from scratch ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!1!!!!`1~`!!1  
Obviously, this means Monero is teh huge failed jerk of circular proportions.   Angry   Roll Eyes   Grin

All users are welcome, but being an uber geek doesn't hurt.  True for Bitcoin and also true for Monero.

If you tried running a full BTC node on granny's emachine, the hard drive would make sad clicking noises, then the entire thing would melt down into an angry puddle of plastic, wires, and toxic fumes.

Those who wish to run unoptimized powerful new software should learn to upgrade their toaster's hardware or get the most out of its OS.  That's how you become an uber geek.   Smiley

Defenestration is the answer here.

Granny's eMachine is probably upgradable to 4GB RAM and likely runs Windows Vista. Replace the stock Windows Vista with GNU/Linux 64bit or 32bit PAE kernel and Monero will run fine. Once the hardware is freed from having to accommodate the DRM in Windows Vista a lot of the problems are solved. The saving in needless propriety software licenses can easily pay for the extra RAM.

By the way I run a XBT full node using a GNU/Linux OS on a 10+ year old laptop that still has its Windows 2000 logo and a built in floppy drive. No angry puddle of molten plastic or toxic fumes yet.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
September 09, 2014, 10:34:47 PM
Obviously, this means Monero is teh huge failed jerk of circular proportions.   Angry   Roll Eyes   Grin

All users are welcome, but being an uber geek doesn't hurt.  True for Bitcoin and also true for Monero.

Those who wish to run unoptimized powerful new software should learn to upgrade their toaster's hardware or get the most out of its OS.  That's how you become an uber geek.   Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
September 09, 2014, 10:23:26 PM
The main point of my post is still valid. In its current state, XMR requires a lot of resources. If you "extrapolate the blockchain size vs time and figure out when the daemon will not load on a plain vanilla Win build with 8GB 4GB. Unless the database is complete at that time, new users will be unable to try out XMR and those already using XMR will lose functionality."

I agree. The current blockchain memory usage is about 2.5 GB (the actual blockchain is about 1 GB but it seems to bloat up by about 2.5x when loaded into memory, the reasons for which were explained by crypto_zoidberg on the BBR thread, since BBR is about the same as XMR in this respect). The natural growth rate seems to be something less than 10 MB per day. At that rate we have at least 160 days until blockchain size increase by 1.6 GB and therefore memory usage increases by about 4 GB (putting an 8 GB system in the same spot as 4 GB system today).

A tighter deadline is a memory increase by 1.5 GB which which will likely make things uncomfortable (but possibly still usable) on 4 GB systems even with virtual memory. That corresponds to a blockchain size increase of 400 MB, which is something more than 40 days (since the 10 GB estimate above was conservative).

Hopefully we will have a database functional by then.

True, it wasn't our bad idea to load everything into RAM. We are fixing it though.
Pages:
Jump to: