Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 54. (Read 387491 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
September 03, 2014, 12:23:47 AM
Google sounds like a very large power of 10, as named by a 9 year old.

Add 'ogle' and 'goggle' to your vocabulary.

Yahoo sounds like a rude degenerate person who flings poo from a tree.

Yahoo(ooo...) is an exclamation of delight. Perhaps it is more well known in the USA. We used to yell it as kids before or after we did some exciting thing such as jump off buildings. The British and Americans diverge on language in some cases, and I believe we (Americans) created the internet.

P.S. I been regularly eating blueberries for the past week and seems to make my health excellent. They are apparently a very powerful anti-oxidant and aid mental function.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
September 03, 2014, 12:10:21 AM

Monero sounds like money, Boolberry sounds like fruit. It's a different approach, which is fine, but I think it's pretty obvious which CN coin will be #1. I do however agree that the Monero color scheme and logo are nasty.

Infoseek sounds like a search engine.  Webcrawler sounds like a search engine.  Savvysearch sounds like a search engine.

Google sounds like a very large power of 10, as named by a 9 year old.

Yahoo sounds like a rude degenerate person who flings poo from a tree.

I think it's pretty obvious which search engine will be #1.   Wink
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
September 02, 2014, 11:25:14 PM
I like the logo.

The logo is not important.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
September 02, 2014, 11:06:47 PM
^I do wish the input for the logo design and color scheme was a bit more openly crowdsourced.

It was very open.  There was a competition thread.  Many entries were submitted.  I have no idea of the mechanism by which the winner was selected.  I think it involved a consultant.  If so, they paid too much.  Boolberry's logo is not all that suitable, but it is an order of magnitude better.  Perhaps one day a reimaging might be considered.  I think it would be premature now.  The present choice has many virtues, in any case.  Even if it is ugly and orange.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
September 02, 2014, 10:56:21 PM
^I do wish the input for the logo design and color scheme was a bit more openly crowdsourced.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
September 02, 2014, 10:48:59 PM
InfoFront's Daily AltCoin Observation: Boolberry has one of the worst names of any altcoin. Based on that fact alone, it has an approximately 0% chance of success.
This has been brought up in their thread countless times. I think CZ has some kind of emotional attachment to the name. Boolberry: because I want a currency that could reasonably be mistaken for fruit.

'Boolberry' is a great name.  It's distinct, memorable, and playful, with a pun in there for math nerds, just like 'Google.'

The logo is also very sweet and much better than Monero's boring 'serious professional' orange/grey nastiness.

But please keep complaining about it, because the more publicity BBR gets the more valuable my stack becomes!   Cool

Monero sounds like money, Boolberry sounds like fruit. It's a different approach, which is fine, but I think it's pretty obvious which CN coin will be #1. I do however agree that the Monero color scheme and logo are nasty.
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
September 02, 2014, 10:46:18 PM
The "Play nice" people seem to think there can be more than one winner in this space.  

This was an interesting quotation to me as I do try to play nice. I had a keen eye on BitMonero when it was planned for launch, trying to reason with thankful_for_today et al about renaming the coin before it was launched and other general things. It was obvious that we were dealing with someone from the original Bytecoin coding team, so even after the disagreements between him and some of us who were following the ANN thread, we stuck around and when I saw the others who were into BitMonero, I knew it would have success. By the way none of the current vocal members of XMR were there when all of this was taking place. I never envisioned others would be promoting it so hard, and in my mind I knew that this would be the CN coin to go with even if there were no Heroes around.

When Boolberry came on to the scene, I rejected it and saw it as an unnecessary noise that would create some unwanted competition with XMR and the name didn't help the case to get acceptance. I didn't mine it and didn't even care what was happening with it, just like I hadn't cared for the Quazarscam (though Qcn was very frustrating crapping on the BMR thread those days). But then the pump happened and I saw people discussing it here and there and I checked the thread. I knew it was being the victim of FUD, deliberations and financial attacks right away. By that time it was hitting the current bottom in prices and it wasn't matching up with all the technical developments that were showing up in the thread. I made my own assumption that zoidberg was probably also one of the core CN reference devs with the command he had. Despite all this I can understand why playing nice is not part of the game and why people continue to defame him personally and ridicule his technical progress along with other absurdities.

I just refuse to play that game. I am not saying others need to do it too, but till date there have been zero reasons provided on this thread or elsewhere that makes me want to dispose of the BBR I procured earlier in August. People love an underdog story. It may be me today, but I bet people are going to question the market dynamics of BBR down the road once they find out too.

Maybe I should have put this another way.  I feel major adoption is inhibited until there is a clear cut winner.  I don't think that means shill louder or all the other shit that goes on.  More of a technical / adoption aspect.  

I think your point was quite clear and you may be correct in the hypothesis. Coincidentally, I have been thinking along those lines myself once I evaluated BBR a few weeks ago and had also come to my own conclusion that put me in a rather comfortable personal zone;

There will never be a consensus on any solitary crypto currency.  

I don't want to lead the debate about this conclusion, but will certainly chime in with my thoughts in time.
legendary
September 02, 2014, 10:44:09 PM
InfoFront's Daily AltCoin Observation: Boolberry has one of the worst names of any altcoin. Based on that fact alone, it has an approximately 0% chance of success.
This has been brought up in their thread countless times. I think CZ has some kind of emotional attachment to the name. Boolberry: because I want a currency that could reasonably be mistaken for fruit.

'Boolberry' is a great name.  It's distinct, memorable, and playful, with a pun in there for math nerds, just like 'Google.'

The logo is also very sweet and much better than Monero's boring 'serious professional' orange/grey nastiness.

But please keep complaining about it, because the more publicity BBR gets the more valuable my stack becomes!   Cool
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
September 02, 2014, 10:32:31 PM
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
September 02, 2014, 10:31:30 PM
I don't think any cryptonote coin will ever pass Monero, including BBR. But:

The idea that Monero is already too big to be overtaken is complete nonsense. I'm a big supporter of the project and hold much respect for the developers, but if a new technology comes along that is unquestionably superior, adoption will flood to the new tech.

Monero's fate will depend on it's ability to adapt or compete with emerging technologies, which will put it in an inferior position compared to its nimble adversaries. Some very bold decisions lie ahead for the core team.

I realize that things move fast in CryptoLand and from the near non stop
proliferation of "coins" it's clear to me that there is zero barrier to entry in this space ..
As long as the "next big thing" in crypto is open source wouldn't that imply that
Monero can adopt/modify as needed going forward ?? There's no real need to
constantly produce new "coins" for every great idea that comes along; we've got a
population of some 1500 alts now; surely that's enough to satisfy any "new" concept  
worth trying out .. I've noticed that most recently launched coins are essentially "featureless"
with the dev/s promoting community participation in selecting from a 'menu' of potential
attributes for eventual inclusion .. I suspect that 'rehab crews' will relaunch failed/abandoned
coins with the latest desirable 'feature' set as a way to cheaply pump and dump for BTC or other coin ..

Triff ..

If history is any indication, the larger and more adopted a coin becomes, the more monolithic and stagnant it becomes, at least in terms of development.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
September 02, 2014, 10:28:21 PM
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
September 02, 2014, 10:27:57 PM

The idea that Monero is already too big to be overtaken is complete nonsense. I'm a big supporter of the project and hold much respect for the developers, but if a new technology comes along that is unquestionably superior, adoption will flood to the new tech.

Monero's fate will depend on it's ability to adapt or compete with emerging technologies, which will put it in an inferior position compared to its nimble adversaries. Some very bold decisions lie ahead for the core team.

I realize that things move fast in CryptoLand and from the near non stop
proliferation of "coins" it's clear to me that there is zero barrier to entry in this space ..
As long as the "next big thing" in crypto is open source wouldn't that imply that
Monero can adopt/modify as needed going forward ?? There's no real need to
constantly produce new "coins" for every great idea that comes along; we've got a
population of some 1500 alts now; surely that's enough to satisfy any "new" concept  
worth trying out .. I've noticed that most recently launched coins are essentially "featureless"
with the dev/s promoting community participation in selecting from a 'menu' of potential
attributes for eventual inclusion .. I suspect that 'rehab crews' will relaunch failed/abandoned
coins with the latest desirable 'feature' set as a way to cheaply pump and dump for BTC or other coin ..

Triff ..
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
September 02, 2014, 10:26:32 PM
Now I am going to teach you something if you are not already aware of the distinction. Data driven marketing is a refinement mechanism.

I am familiar with both the distinction and the characterisation but it may be new to others.

Cheers

Graham

legendary
September 02, 2014, 10:23:59 PM
I feel major adoption is inhibited until there is a clear cut winner.  I don't think that means shill louder or all the other shit that goes on.  More of a technical / adoption aspect. 

Multiple approaches by independent variants of a new technology catalyze major adoption, by more rapidly exploring potentially stable niches and killer applications within the marketplace.

Today's Altcoin Observation: Monero collapsing.  Boolberry UP!

/dons Nomex flamesuit   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
September 02, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
Whoever is in the lead is always the hardest to overtake, and the difficulty only increases with time, network size, and market cap.  Certainly  it is possible.  Certainly it is difficult.  Anything worth doing usually is.
Activity: 196
Merit: 12
September 02, 2014, 10:12:03 PM
The "Play nice" people seem to think there can be more than one winner in this space.  

This was an interesting quotation to me as I do try to play nice. I had a keen eye on BitMonero when it was planned for launch, trying to reason with thankful_for_today et al about renaming the coin before it was launched and other general things. It was obvious that we were dealing with someone from the original Bytecoin coding team, so even after the disagreements between him and some of us who were following the ANN thread, we stuck around and when I saw the others who were into BitMonero, I knew it would have success. By the way none of the current vocal members of XMR were there when all of this was taking place. I never envisioned others would be promoting it so hard, and in my mind I knew that this would be the CN coin to go with even if there were no Heroes around.

When Boolberry came on to the scene, I rejected it and saw it as an unnecessary noise that would create some unwanted competition with XMR and the name didn't help the case to get acceptance. I didn't mine it and didn't even care what was happening with it, just like I hadn't cared for the Quazarscam (though Qcn was very frustrating crapping on the BMR thread those days). But then the pump happened and I saw people discussing it here and there and I checked the thread. I knew it was being the victim of FUD, deliberations and financial attacks right away. By that time it was hitting the current bottom in prices and it wasn't matching up with all the technical developments that were showing up in the thread. I made my own assumption that zoidberg was probably also one of the core CN reference devs with the command he had. Despite all this I can understand why playing nice is not part of the game and why people continue to defame him personally and ridicule his technical progress along with other absurdities.

I just refuse to play that game. I am not saying others need to do it too, but till date there have been zero reasons provided on this thread or elsewhere that makes me want to dispose of the BBR I procured earlier in August. People love an underdog story. It may be me today, but I bet people are going to question the market dynamics of BBR down the road once they find out too.

Maybe I should have put this another way.  I feel major adoption is inhibited until there is a clear cut winner.  I don't think that means shill louder or all the other shit that goes on.  More of a technical / adoption aspect. 

Activity: 795
Merit: 514
September 02, 2014, 10:02:36 PM

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
September 02, 2014, 09:45:53 PM
---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: You can lead an Armstrong horse to water,  but you can't make it drink
Date:    Tue, September 2, 2014 9:45 pm
To:      Armstrong Economics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armstrong is correct in many of his points about gold:

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/09/02/will-gold-still-go-to-5000/

But can anyone spot the flaws in his analysis?

The control over the issuance of money and debt is intimately tied to the power vacuum of democracy. Gold as money isn't entirely autonomous as it needs to be stamped for purity and weight in order to be used as rapid medium-of-exchange.

He still doesn't get it! PoW is a technological Richter scale 11 earthquake.

He is likely posting that because I accused him of not getting it. And he still doesn't get it!

Quote from: Armstrong
Gold did not save Spain nor did the gold standard postwar world with Bretton Woods! Why? BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE MONEY IS – THE PROBLEM IS FISCAL MISMANAGEMENT OF GOVERNMENT.  Returning to a gold standard will NOT make politicians honest. Sorry – we need real reform for that one and that does NOT center upon what we use as money.

This should be about making money – not supporting a predetermined idea because that is what someone would like to see happen. No matter what evidence is presented, there are those who will refuse to believe anything other than what they want to believe. That is life. They have to learn the hard way.
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
September 02, 2014, 09:12:20 PM

I agree that all of those other things are interesting. Exchange rate in a wallet though -- seems so obvious as to not even be worth a mention. Nearly all bitcoin wallets do that, and its just a very obvious feature. Just my opinion though, you obviously disagree. Fair enough.

With a history graph?  (Please forgive my ignorance -- I've actually never used a GUI bitcoin wallet.  I'm a command-line luddite and use coinbase for everything else. Smiley  But, as you noted, this isn't a shocking innovation in either direction, just continued active development, so probably not worth too many more messages.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
September 02, 2014, 09:05:26 PM
I'm not quite sure why my name got pulled in here other than my comments about the PoW function.

I don't think there is any other reason. Simply because you have improved the code and commented on its apparent soundness (and known and potential weaknesses)

I must say I'm a bit taken aback that you think exchange rate being displayed in a wallet is "interesting" but I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't think that adding in the exchange rate is technically interesting;  I think it's cute and somewhat useful.  But it's "interesting" in some sense that he's continuing to make UI improvements and experiments in the wallet -- I like that.  Again, keeping in mind my view of crypto in general as a fascinating experiment, with cryptonote as a really intriguing advance that trades some bloat and other issues for anonymity in a technically and socially/financially interesting way.

The ring signature pruning is technically interesting.

So -- what I'm being most positive about is the continued development along directions not necessarily being explored by Monero or any other cryptonote coin.  That's good for anyone who thinks that there's value in having technology for anonymous transactions.  If things like blockchain aliases turn out to be dumb  -- great, we learned something.  If they turn out to be wildly popular -- same answer. Smiley

As David Clark famously put it in the early days of the IETF:  "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code."  It's nice to have working implementations you can kick around and have fight against each other.

I agree that all of those other things are interesting. Exchange rate in a wallet though -- seems so obvious as to not even be worth a mention. Nearly all bitcoin wallets do that, and its just a very obvious feature. Just my opinion though, you obviously disagree. Fair enough.

Pages:
Jump to: