Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 64. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
August 31, 2014, 04:14:21 PM
What he is really doing is trying to attack XMR in order to create controversy and therefore more advertisement for his IPO (AFAICT its IPO since his title says so...) He is doing nothing else than spamming wall of texts on other coins threads about the one coin he is bagholding... Either playing the good guy that wants to cooperate or the bad guy... More exposure more noobs will get dumped...
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
August 31, 2014, 04:07:12 PM
SuperNET is pretty much designed to turn BBR in to an XMR killer. That's the intention anyway. Take advantage of the network effect and combine forces of Bitcoindark, BBR and any other coin they think has good features.

I'm a bit skeptical(as usual Tongue) because I can't really see how this is supposed to work technically, but I'm certainly not dismissing the concept. And I'll be watching the developments as the idea is unique and interesting.

I don't own any of the involved currencies(XMR, BBR, BTCD), so I have no skin in this game. But it will be very interesting to see what happens. Also, I'm curious about how the XMR camp is going to react to such an aggressive move against them.

jl777 definitely makes crypto interesting! Smiley

I noticed that. Here is James' post:

The monero camp (not its devs) mistreated me. At least I felt very insulted, especially when my thoughtful post on the XMR observer thread was totally ignored, until one person made a positive comment. Then I am accused of using a sockpuppet! Of all things to attack my integrity. Then my writing is ridiculed. I am incompetent to write a whitepaper, I know this. I only wrote the draft text and hired a professional writer for making it better. I liked the pirates to make it easy to understand for normal peoples. It was supposed to be split into two documents, one just with pirates and one without. I just dont have time for "GUI" things and I rely on others to just do what is needed. I also dont have time to micromanage or pester people. So a lot of things, they are unfinished. I am not a cryptographer, this also is used to dismiss my Teleport. So, making disparaging comments about my integrity, my intelligence, my tech, my coin.

Even I have my limits.

So, I revisit my BBR friends and realize to my horror that it had been beaten down out of top 100! To 1/40th of XMR price. Now nobody really knows who is doing this, but when a coin that has arguably better tech (let us not argue if it is actually better, BBR dev has made changes to the blockformat itself, clearly he is not a mechanic fiddling with settings, he is full blown engine designer!) and making new releases, including user friendly GUI, I wont list all the tech changes, please dont start a debate on which tech is better. Just try them both yourself and you decide which is better. Fair enough. Dont take my word, use your own judgement.

Anyway, the BBR price it turns around, but now there is all sorts of chatter to try to hurt it, but with knowledge the BBR is rising back to a more reasonable 1/5 value. If BBR tech is really as good or microscopically better than any other cryptonote, then what is the right price ratio? What is the right marketcap ratio? I let the market decide. So, now there is these large buying of XMR and some flashing of 1000 BTC buy orders. Clearly big whales are backing XMR and their advocates keep namecalling against BBR. So I feel big sympathy for poor little BBR. I am no big whale, I have not much BTC at all. Then I realize maybe I am able to raise some BTC with SuperNET. And actually this is likely some part of the reason I have started SuperNET. The other is I am still waiting for a release from other dev so I can debug Teleport. The other is a kind PM from noashh that reminded me I was getting a bit stressed and should take some time off. So, I took the weekend off and made this SuperNET. It is really just something that has to be done to counteract the fiat forces and I think the universe has conspired to make all these things happen. So I am lightning rod with all this but that is all, I just happened to be "lucky" enough to be hit by this lightening. Now I have to work so much before I can return to my preferred zen mode...

Anyway, as far as XMR goes. I like the BBR tech better than XMR and I certainly dont like the constant negativity from the XMR camp. Maybe there is nothing the XMR devs can do, but if this is indeed some coordinated smear campaign controlled by some XMR devotees, then they can stop the hostilities and make cooperation. I am not sure if they are able to do this and until they do, I wont have to think about whether XMR can be integrated into SuperNET core. I am a simple C programmer, but when I am personally attacked and get ridiculed when I am asking for the help, I do have a bit of a temper and the universe seems to help me out to defuse this anger in me. Sometimes in very unexpected ways.

So, conditions for XMR are to immediately stop any and all bashing of other cryptos. Talk about how good your XMR is, of course. Tech analysis of benefits, of course. Spreading rumors about personal things, not. FUD of course not.

UNITE of all crypto, this is the goal. Be part of this and of course there is a possibility of joining. But how can a culture based on zerosum hostility and "there can only be one" highlander beheadings, fit into spirit of cooperation?

If this toxic culture is indeed changed, then with the touted awesomeness of the XMR dev team I am sure there will be some tech that will be unique and valuable. I might require some significant investment in SuperNET as sort of a pennance, but I am practical guy and if XMR team will be benefit, then how can I refuse?

James

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 31, 2014, 03:56:42 PM
SuperNET is pretty much designed to turn BBR in to an XMR killer. That's the intention anyway. Take advantage of the network effect and combine forces of Bitcoindark, BBR and any other coin they think has good features.

I'm a bit skeptical(as usual Tongue) because I can't really see how this is supposed to work technically, but I'm certainly not dismissing the concept. And I'll be watching the developments as the idea is unique and interesting.

I don't own any of the involved currencies(XMR, BBR, BTCD), so I have no skin in this game. But it will be very interesting to see what happens. Also, I'm curious about how the XMR camp is going to react to such an aggressive move against them.

jl777 definitely makes crypto interesting! Smiley
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
August 31, 2014, 03:34:25 PM
IPO .. no IPO .. that not the point ..
I'd like to see a discussion about the merits of the core "SuperNET" idea ..
And the potential impacts ( pro and con ) on the coins discussed on this thread ..

Triff ..
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
August 31, 2014, 03:26:22 PM
IPO... do we really have to discuss this further dEBRUYNE? Wink

IPOs belong on crowd funding sites or investment banks or Angel Funds or the Dragon's Den. There is no place for them here.
legendary
amarha
August 31, 2014, 03:23:40 PM
Who buys IPO's?
No IPO coin will be used as a currency anywhere

It's not an IPO coin(it's not even a coin). You're buying shares in a service I believe. From what I can tell reading the thread anyway.
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
August 31, 2014, 02:48:23 PM
Who buys IPO's?
No IPO coin will be used as a currency anywhere
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
August 31, 2014, 02:44:34 PM
Not really, but would like some opinions anyway. It looks like another jl777 hype thing.. Even the code got his name into it.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 31, 2014, 02:04:56 PM
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
August 31, 2014, 01:42:55 PM
Any thoughts about where this might be going if it gains traction ??

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-supernet-nxt-asset-12071612744977229797-supernet-kmd-assetchain-in-summer-762346

Some big ideas here ..

Triff ..

I would like to hear about this also..
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
August 30, 2014, 08:25:27 PM
And no you aren´t ready to go after your funds are denominated, to archive at least a good privacy you have to denominate them on every big transfer and have to use coincontrol to send them, so they never get mixed/linked with each other.

Actually the wallet even at this stage will take care of this, you don't have to fiddle with coin control and you can't accidentally send non-anonymized coins. If you try to send more coins than the wallet has managed to anonymize (for example you send most of your coins, and then receive a transfer, and then try immediately sending most of your coins again), it will let you know.

It´s not that easy.

Let´s say i have 1000 anonymized, i want to make 2 payments of 500 DRK.
After the first payment of 1 x 500 DRK i get a change back, this change can link the second transaction to the first. If the change is not sent back anonymized coins i have too less coins for the second transfer
In both cases the behaviour is annoying for users in the first it´s even dangerous.

What do you mean it's not that easy? It's exactly as easy or as hard as how I described.

Regarding your 2x500 DRK payment example, afaik the denomination sizes are 500, 100, 10, 1, 0.x (can't remember the smaller than 1 ones).
So when you send the first 500 DRK, you will spend one anonymous 500 output. There will be no change. And when you send the next 500, you will spend (depending on the total balance)
1x500 output, or
5x100, or
4x100 + 10x10, or
4x100 + 9x10 + 10x1

If I have misunderstood how it works, please let me know.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 30, 2014, 07:13:26 PM
Well spotted...can prove anything with an appropriate quote !  Do you think it there's a chance it could have been sarcasm ?

No idea, and to clarify I do not seek to discredit rpietila or monero. It was simply a question.

My only constructive criticism is that this thread is looking unhealthy, it's looking very much to third parties as "trust me buy monero now, do it, buy it", people will be reading this and delegating responsibility for purchasing decisions to those trusted members in this thread, and wagering life savings or living costs on this currency.

It would be nice to see it change to discussion of technical merits, adoption, and usefulness, with any mention of perceived price-tag current or future limited to impartial observation.

Speaking only for myself, there are several members in this thread that I formerly had great respect for, of late they are conveying as shill's, whether intentional or not. I am sure non of you want that, as if anything goes south those people will lose credibility and to some respects be held publicly accountable whether fair or not.

I remember reading a reply recently from a former litecoin advocate, who simply felt awful because of how much time he'd spent encouraging people to buy, friends and associates had lost money and he felt bad. I hope none of you find yourselves in the same place.

On behalf of many other forum members, please just tone it down a little bit and be a bit fairer, less pressure, nobody needs to buy or sell - more presence from the developer(s) and those working on adoption or improvement would likely be far more beneficial to your goals than the current discussion.

Well said. The key question to ask when one sees a trusted person advocating a coin is: Why is this person advocating this coin? Then do your own research. When I came across this thread while researching something else, namely the 1 MB blocksize limit in Bitcoin, that was the first question I asked. Why is rpietila recommending Monero? Then came my own research, and only then  came the decision to invest.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
August 30, 2014, 07:00:21 PM
This "jl777" guy is involved in how many IPOs?

He just became the trendy brand of the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
August 30, 2014, 06:59:07 PM
This "jl777" guy is involved in how many IPOs?
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
August 30, 2014, 06:52:17 PM
Any thoughts about where this might be going if it gains traction ??

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-supernet-nxt-asset-12071612744977229797-supernet-kmd-assetchain-in-summer-762346

Some big ideas here ..

Triff ..
legendary
amarha
August 30, 2014, 03:10:02 AM
Well spotted...can prove anything with an appropriate quote !  Do you think it there's a chance it could have been sarcasm ?

No idea, and to clarify I do not seek to discredit rpietila or monero. It was simply a question.

My only constructive criticism is that this thread is looking unhealthy, it's looking very much to third parties as "trust me buy monero now, do it, buy it", people will be reading this and delegating responsibility for purchasing decisions to those trusted members in this thread, and wagering life savings or living costs on this currency.

It would be nice to see it change to discussion of technical merits, adoption, and usefulness, with any mention of perceived price-tag current or future limited to impartial observation.

Speaking only for myself, there are several members in this thread that I formerly had great respect for, of late they are conveying as shill's, whether intentional or not. I am sure non of you want that, as if anything goes south those people will lose credibility and to some respects be held publicly accountable whether fair or not.

I remember reading a reply recently from a former litecoin advocate, who simply felt awful because of how much time he'd spent encouraging people to buy, friends and associates had lost money and he felt bad. I hope none of you find yourselves in the same place.

On behalf of many other forum members, please just tone it down a little bit and be a bit fairer, less pressure, nobody needs to buy or sell - more presence from the developer(s) and those working on adoption or improvement would likely be far more beneficial to your goals than the current discussion.

Much of the discussion I believe you are looking for has been held in other Monero threads, at least one of which has been locked.  Some of the threads are linked on the first post of the ANN thread which itself has a wealth of info. 

Most of the time this thread has pretty good discussion. It goes off the rails once and a while. But the topics are often interesting.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 29, 2014, 08:52:18 PM
Well spotted...can prove anything with an appropriate quote !  Do you think it there's a chance it could have been sarcasm ?

Much of the discussion I believe you are looking for has been held in other Monero threads, at least one of which has been locked.  Some of the threads are linked on the first post of the ANN thread which itself has a wealth of info. 
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
August 29, 2014, 08:26:30 PM
Here is a one-week resolution chart of Peercoin from BTC-e. Note that proof-of-stake coins are not necessarily immune from the bubble collapse. PPC has fallen 14x from its peak. I believe that economic transaction volume is a key support of bitcoin prices vs some altcoins which have been held mostly for speculation.

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitmark Developer
August 29, 2014, 07:56:43 PM

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
August 29, 2014, 07:17:52 PM
I market bought 2100 XMR for a client. I don't by any way mean it's much, but seriously I can only make one phone call per day, to one of my best investor friends, to avoid the price rising too quickly.

The total wealth reachable by my mailing list is 100s of millions. Last time I bothered them was when I told that "Bitcoin is something that you should buy now, even without research, even with small money, as long as it is now". 2013-2-6.

Looks convincing. How low do you think we'll go? How much do you think I should deposit to Mt.Gox to profit the most?

I have been waiting for so long to finally buy my first coins, and it is not only me - there are dozens in the same situation that I know, thousands in the city, and millions in the world. We want correction, and we want it now.

Pages:
Jump to: