Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 117. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
What?? Bears infesting my thread?  Angry

The correct way to value BTC is to take a scenario analysis:

* The price of LTC is $4.9290
* LTC will have 4 x the supply of BTC
* Thus, the value of LTC should be BTC/4.
* The fair value of BTC could therefore be LTC/USD * 4

4.9290 * 4 = $19.7

It seems to me that (with the caveat that better investments such as Monero may be available) I should invest everything that I can afford to lose.

Kelly formula: With essentially infinite payoff, invest same % as is the probability of success = 20%. (Kelly is valid if B automatically leads to loss of entire investment, and is higher if this is not the case.)

My suggestion: 50% of investment capital in crypto, of which the %-age of Monero should approach 50% if the sum is very small but be much less if the sum is significant.

My suggestion: Short the rallies, avoid buying back on dips.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

- What is the value per unit if A) it fulfills its promise?
- What is the value if B) it does not?

- What is the probability of A)?
- How long does it take?
- What is the current price?

A: value $1,000,000
B: value <$100,000
A: probability 20%
A: duration at least 3 years, up to 10 years
current: $500.

It seems to me that (with the caveat that better investments such as Monero may be available) I should invest everything that I can afford to lose.

Kelly formula: With essentially infinite payoff, invest same % as is the probability of success = 20%. (Kelly is valid if B automatically leads to loss of entire investment, and is higher if this is not the case.)

My suggestion: 50% of investment capital in crypto, of which the %-age of Monero should approach 50% if the sum is very small but be much less if the sum is significant.

Very interesting...I invested a significant sum in crypto+miners, so my percentage of active capital (not counting real estate equity) in crypto is ~20% .
I don't think that I will "actively" up it up to 50% (if it goes there by appreciation-fine)
Monero-invested (exchanged) 2% of my BTC into XMR.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I've made much more conservative assumptions, but even VERY conservative assumptions make a strong case for buying.  I use M2 calculations because I believe that M2 is a very good measuring stick for what BTC represents because it speaks to money as a medium of exchange and also as a store of value.

Best guess I can come up with for GLOBAL M2 is around $55 trillion. I'd suspect it may inflate over the next 5-7 years to, let's say, $65 trillion.  I can't remember what the BTC emission schedule looks like, but let's say there might be 17 million BTC by then.  Total money supply in BTC, theoretically, would be 3095238, or roundly 3,100,000 BTC.  I'd say 1% is pretty aggressive, given that most of the world's population may not be capable of storing or transmitting currency in that way.  But 0.5%?  Maybe a little less?  That STILL gets you to a valuation of $15,500. 

The other thing to consider is velocity.  I've read that people believe BTC's velocity to be similar to that of USD.  In my view, they are including mining transactions, which don't belong in the velocity discussion any more than it's a measure of velocity to have fiat coming off a printing press.  My guess is that BTC velocity will grow into a USD-like velocity, possibly slightly slower, which would grow velocity by an estimated 5x.  That gets us to a valuation of $3100.

I have not batted an eye at buying more and more as the price has dipped under $500.  A lot of things can happen.  The adoption trendline could accelerate or decelerate.  My pulled-from-ass guess about velocity could change.  But I think a 2020 fair value for BTC might be around $3100. 

I don't expect to retire on 20-30 BTC.  But if that investment grows from $10K-$15K to $60-90K, it is still a lot better than many other investments I've made.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

- What is the value per unit if A) it fulfills its promise?
- What is the value if B) it does not?

- What is the probability of A)?
- How long does it take?
- What is the current price?

A: value $1,000,000
B: value <$100,000
A: probability 20%
A: duration at least 3 years, up to 10 years
current: $500.

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
Here is the most recent 7-day moving average chart of adjusted number of bitcoin transactions from Blockchain.info. Note that the dip in late August has reversed back towards upward growth. I am closely watching to see if the number can exceed the previous peak near 75,000 per day. Currently the smoothed value is 67,330 per day.

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
I could be entirely wrong, but I see a lot of downside risk as the BTC chart looks like silver's peak in 2011. I don't see any possible earth shattering great news on the near-term horizon for BTC. So the upside is very limited near-term yet the downside risk is palatable. Ecuador, New York, China, and many other jurisdictions are in the process of making Bitcoin essentially illegal. Bitcoin mining, development, and foundation is entirely centralized. I warned about this several months ago at $600 when I warned it would bottom at $350 (and then it did) and be stuck in a much slower log-logistic adoption rate, not the much faster logistic.

http://btccharts.everdot.org/commodities/silver_8y.gif

This "market", and any market, needs BULLS to get in there and buy and keep buying for the market to move up. This is specially true in regards to BTC. I do not see anyone in their right mind looking at the daily thinking "I'll invest millions in this thing because the risk/reward looks so attractive right now".

The same is not true for the market to move down, any market will grind downwards as long as there is no buying pressure. This is specially true here due to the constant drips from miners and merchants.

The only really bullish factor BTC and LTC has going for it right now is the sher amount of shorts. Right now we are talking 8,356.52 BTC and 142,122.51 LTC at Bitfinex alone, see http://www.bfxdata.com/combined/btc.php for details. Now, you may assume that this means we will get a short-cover rally to the moon. Check out the 6 month graph if you believe this is true and notice that when shorts peaked at around 10000 BTC short the "market" actually went from $530 to $400.

The similarity between silver and the daily chart for BTC, LTC and DOGE is staggering.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
IANAL, but I think what you did is referred to legally as relinguishing your citizenship, as opposed to the more formal procedure of renouncing it.

The US does not charge people who relinquish either, but renouncement is a formal procedure with a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy involved, so there is a fee associated with it.

It's not clear to me why some people choose to renounce - it is pretty much irrevocable, as well as more work, and much more expensive - but there must be some legal reason why some people go that route.

http://www.nestmann.com/relinquish-or-renounce

Meh. It is still slowly dropping.
This is what I think. End of January 2012. With the difference that blockchain reward halving is 2 years ahead not one year ahead.

So what? I have been wrong in the past.

And still ain't selling any.

So 6 - 12 months to go before seeing significantly higher prices, while downside remains. Thus risk vs. reward says to move some to cash now if you may need to cash out before 12 months.

Interesting, EuroTrash! Do you think that the fact of the reward-halving still taking some time plays a big role or not so much? It's an interesting approach nevertheless, though. We may very well be in for quite some sideways movement now... Which is still better than tanking to $100 in my books!

Thanks! I think the fact that reward halving is so far away in the future will slow recovery down. But not much.
IMO no way we are tanking to $100, because of this:

400s or even 300s are possible 'tho.

Similar pattern existing in 2012. Price didn't move up.

I could be entirely wrong, but I see a lot of downside risk as the BTC chart looks like silver's peak in 2011. I don't see any possible earth shattering great news on the near-term horizon for BTC. So the upside is very limited near-term yet the downside risk is palatable. Ecuador, New York, China, and many other jurisdictions are in the process of making Bitcoin essentially illegal. Bitcoin mining, development, and foundation is entirely centralized. I warned about this several months ago at $600 when I warned it would bottom at $350 (and then it did) and be stuck in a much slower log-logistic adoption rate, not the much faster logistic.

Activity: 378
Merit: 254
... There is still the Ocean.

Gentlemen!  Time for thinking outside the box.  Consider Galt's Gulch The Principality of Equestria!

Stable, sovereign, and prosperous.  With nice friendship and magic--not rotten taxation.

*Investment opportunity--lots going fast!!1!  Send money NOW!
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Who's there?
The main reason that people renounce United States citizenship is that the United States is one of only two countries in the world that levies income taxes on the basis of citizenship. They also coerce financial institutions around the world in order to enforce this tax collection on their customers. One of the results of this is that being a United States citizen makes a person persona non grata when seeking financial services in many parts of the world. Both of these reasons provide a powerful incentive for ex pat United States citizens to renounce their US citizenship.

How ironic that the main driver for 'the colonies' wanting independence was freedom from taxation.

lol I love the irony. Unfortunately there are no new continents left to flee to to be free of taxation.
There is still the Ocean.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Dumb broad
The main reason that people renounce United States citizenship is that the United States is one of only two countries in the world that levies income taxes on the basis of citizenship. They also coerce financial institutions around the world in order to enforce this tax collection on their customers. One of the results of this is that being a United States citizen makes a person persona non grata when seeking financial services in many parts of the world. Both of these reasons provide a powerful incentive for ex pat United States citizens to renounce their US citizenship.

How ironic that the main driver for 'the colonies' wanting independence was freedom from taxation.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
1. US just increased cost to renounce citizenship to $2350 from $450 ($422%). $2350 is ~20 times higher than other industrialized countries.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/08/28/u-s-hikes-fee-to-renounce-citizenship-by-422/

lol, I had no idea there even was such a fee anywhere.

When I changed citizenship I had to pay an application fee to the local regime. They granted it and they sent a notice to my former countries ambassador that I was no longer their citizen in the eyes of my country and asked them to remove my former citizenship - which they did.

I find it kind of odd that they would even bother asking for a fee if you are granted a single citizenship in another country. If the country you are in considers you a sole citizen of that country and you don't plan on going anywhere near your former country then why accept a fee, just tell them you're no longer their citizen and forget about it.

IANAL, but I think what you did is referred to legally as relinguishing your citizenship, as opposed to the more formal procedure of renouncing it.

The US does not charge people who relinquish either, but renouncement is a formal procedure with a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy involved, so there is a fee associated with it.

It's not clear to me why some people choose to renounce - it is pretty much irrevocable, as well as more work, and much more expensive - but there must be some legal reason why some people go that route.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
A curios factoid:

1. US just increased cost to renounce citizenship to $2350 from $450 ($422%). $2350 is ~20 times higher than other industrialized countries.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/08/28/u-s-hikes-fee-to-renounce-citizenship-by-422/

2. Russia decreased cost of renouncing citizenship from $500 to ~$100, which is in line with other countries and very easy to afford. Russia boosted cost to $500 in the 90ies with a lot of emigration. $500 was a LOT of money then.

I find it strange. A free country should not make artificial barriers for its citizen's to exit. Isn't it what we were telling the USSR before?

Wow they charge a fee? I would just burn the passport, send them a letter telling them to go fuck themselves and never return on US soil.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
A curios factoid:

2. Russia decreased cost of renouncing citizenship from $500 to ~$100, which is in line with other countries and very easy to afford. Russia boosted cost to $500 in the 90ies with a lot of emigration. $500 was a LOT of money then.

I find it strange. A free country should not make artificial barriers for its citizens to exit. Isn't it what we were telling the USSR before?
Merit: 500
Trust me!
Rpietila, are you in some way related to this person working on The Simpsons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonita_Pietila? I always see her name while the credits roll after an episode and I can't but think of our favourite Bitcoin Supernode Wink
Activity: 453
Merit: 254
In the past few years the big spike of price in Bitcoin correspond (broadly) to big spike in inflation of USD MB and M1 (mainly M1)
Also, corrections of the price correspond to slowing down of inflation of MB and M1.
But we must remember, until November 2012 (first halving) BTC's inflation was around 25% per year, then it halved and for short period of time was lower than M1 inflation (not much), then went over it as M1 inflation went down (in the mean time we had the 2nd Bubble in March). During spring and summer inflation difference increased and when it stabilized, there was the start of the second bubble.
It would be interesting compare inflation in Yuan MB and M1 in the same period.

Both inflation in M1 and BTC supply started to converge in January and they are bound to cross again in the next weeks.
I would suggest, when inflation of BTC supply will equal inflation in M1 (previous 52 week for both) and then become permanently lower the winds will start, again, to blow permanently in our winds.

In 2011 the difference fell a lot, but then BTC inflation was in the 30% per year when M1 was 20% per year.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Jjhd_nnfRJ9EyYuOM1ACPMwRod3hhPqRk4YQp7FIZE/pubhtml#

Now, the only (short term) problem could be if the Fed. stopped money printing and MB inflation went to zero and M1 started to fall under 10%.
This would lower the appeal of BTC as a store of value against the USD (but it would have a lot of other interesting features anyway) but, in the same time, the banking sector and near all economy would grind to halt as interest rate would soar. And with interest rate soaring, government interest payments would start to raise banckrupting the federal government and many state and local governments (Europe and Japan would not be in different shape, anyway).

Agree with Eurotrash any low under 400 $ is very improbable to happen or last more than a few hours.
Adoption is taking care of placing a solid base under quote 400. And it is raising it.

free image hosting
Activity: 728
Interesting, EuroTrash! Do you think that the fact of the reward-halving still taking some time plays a big role or not so much? It's an interesting approach nevertheless, though. We may very well be in for quite some sideways movement now... Which is still better than tanking to $100 in my books!

Thanks! I think the fact that reward halving is so far away in the future will slow recovery down. But not much.
IMO no way we are tanking to $100, because of this:

400s or even 300s are possible 'tho.
Trust me!
Activity: 728
Meh. It is still slowly dropping.
This is what I think. End of January 2012. With the difference that blockchain reward halving is 2 years ahead not one year ahead.

So what? I have been wrong in the past.

And still ain't selling any.
Jump to: