Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 143. (Read 907212 times)

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
I dont understand WHY should one want to visit his castle? 200eur for a room and what are the advantages? I could find tons of better places in estonia/finland for that money, is there anything special about this place except meeting Risto? Drugs for free? Bitcoin supernode course? the king is naked?!

Good questions, which show that they arise from a different worldview/mission than what the castle is for. Let me try to explain:

- When I bought the castle, I was financially in a position that I could have done anything I wanted. (If it was really expensive, I would need to wait for BTC to go up a little more of course.) I had already quit working for money some months before I bought it.

- I did not buy the castle to be a business, because A) I already quit business B) castle is a lousy business.

- I did buy it to be a meeting point for the world's crypto-enthusiasts (and later on when more such places spring up, the meeting point for the local area).

- Offering hospitality for people costs money. It is quite a no-brainer to charge for it.

- How much to charge? Currently the place is in such a condition that arranging any kind of living conditions is likely to not be financially profitable, even if we consider only the variable costs. In the other words, I lose money no matter what I offer, and also when I don't offer anything (fixed costs are running high).

- Why is that? Mainly because it is so early, the organization is not yet there, procedures are lacking, marketing is insufficient, and especially we have too few rooms. We could maintain 30 rooms for about the same effort as we now do 11. But the income would be 3 times higher, given full occupancy. But the full occupancy is not a given, and therefore it's not yet the time to build more rooms, since building rooms is also expensive, and bitcoin is in a relative bottom.

- We already did build 4 hotel rooms, which are in "premium" category. These are selling for 150-350 euros depending on the date. When thinking about the hotel room alone, even this is a steep price, and probably not value for money.

- But I think it from the mission's point of view: I want the place to produce maximum value for the whole community. This is the focus. The matter of cost to the individual members is a side-consideration. For many guests, the value received from a visit here is order(s) of magnitude higher than the cost. It is therefore irrelevant whether a room costs a hundred more.

- The main target group is people who have already become free financially because of crypto. In bitcoin terms, BTC1,000-BTC10,000 is needed. The secondary group (albeit 10 times larger in # of people) has BTC100 or more.

- Since I only have the 4 premium rooms, they are very scarce, and I want to keep at least one of them vacant at all times. Price is the way to allocate the scarce resources to the most valuable uses. Since my focus is on value, I feel no problem whatsoever to sell the rooms at very high prices if the situation so demands, in order for the right people to come together to maximize the value.

- In the future, when bitcoin price goes up, it is likely that the fiat price of rooms here continues to go up, because every 10-folding increases the target group 10-fold, but Malla cannot scale up accordingly. So the price will be used to allocate the occupancy.

- Currently complaining about mandatory high room prices is very far from truthful. A typical conference anywhere else would cost you 300 EUR for 2 nights + (300 EUR / 2) for a room for 2 for 2 nights, with a total of 450 EUR/person. In Malla, you can book a large 4 people room for 88 EUR per night (BTC0.2). For 2 nights it is 44-88 EUR/person, depending if you have it full or only as a twin.

TL;DR: Staying in Malla is already up to 80-90% cheaper than in other conferences, and if you don't comprehend it, you are probably not in our focus anyway. On the other hand, we aim to make the VIP guests' stay as valuable as possible, and intend to charge the market price for it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night
I'm bullish and patient for both BTC and XMR. The only reason is I couldn't fill up my stash yet.
I don't complain if we hang around 3-digits until the end of this year.

Would you rather fall back into the 2-digits? Wink
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
mmitech (as well as windjc) are banned from this thread, and the castle, for their stubborn unrespectful attitude.

Sorry, but that enlarged section of your post just made me LOL.

Regarding BTC and price, even though down, looks like we are hitting oversold territory on the daily.

Well he has so get his priorities straight. Would you want perma-bears running around your 12 bathrooms complaining all the time? Cheesy

I dont understand WHY should one want to visit his castle? 200eur for a room and what are the advantages? I could find tons of better places in estonia/finland for that money, is there anything special about this place except meeting Risto? Drugs for free? Bitcoin supernode course? the king is naked?!

I guess it suffices just being a rather eccentric figure. I believe many people investing in Bitcoin would like to have his success. The castle is a symbol for that.

But why should one go there, pay 200eur//nigh and feel grateful?

If that is too much for you, you can come visit me at my Ibiza Playa de'n Bitcoin condo I only charge 90 euros a night - I offer  free wifi and a view of a pool with topless girls.

There was a real stunner there today.  British girl with a fresh boob job!
Activity: 165
Merit: 106
mmitech (as well as windjc) are banned from this thread, and the castle, for their stubborn unrespectful attitude.

Regarding BTC and price, even though down, looks like we are hitting oversold territory on the daily.

Well he has so get his priorities straight. Would you want perma-bears running around your 12 bathrooms complaining all the time? Cheesy

I guess it suffices just being a rather eccentric figure. I believe many people investing in Bitcoin would like to have his success. The castle is a symbol for that.

But why should one go there, pay 200eur//nigh and feel grateful?
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Argentina is near the tipping point: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/investing/argentina-default/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

We need some actions in bitcoin land! Is there any chart that can be overlay on the bitcoin chart correlate to the world financial crisis?

Good question....

Draper (winner of the Silk Road auction) said he was going to bring BTC liquidity to Countries like Argentina (and he might have mentioned them by name) in the form of exchanges I believe. Get a mivin Mr. Draper...
Glad to see BTC adoption starting to really move, but we have to get it where it is really needed.

wouldn't argentina be vehemently against this? wouldn't they want to force people to hold on to paper notes? draper would need cooperation with the argentine government.

Yes, but I think it depends how bad things get and look.
If leaders are in danger of a popular revolt and being hung,(and don't think that can't happen), then they might bend. They might even be sold on it in other ways (use your imagination).

In another way leaders may not realize what the cryptos can do, and let them go by the wayside, so to speak. The quick move from their money into BTC might catch them off guard and be too late to stop. We can hope anyway.

The way Draper sounded is that this is being worked on. And, you don't just buy 30,000 BTC without doing lots of homework.

i really wouldn't worry about the near term price action other then as potential buying opportunity. With guys like Draper holding 30k, we can be sure every other filthy rich person is asking himself and his buddies while at summer parties in the Hamptions and other places, whether he should also dump 100k into Bitcoin just in case... and i guarantee you that we will see deals sealed over Labor day weekend in the USA and news coming out following that.

Well either that or I am totally off base, but you know business is not rocket science...

Great point, the Draper purchase was essentially an advertisement on where to put some of your wealth and to the wealthy.

Some further FUEL:
1- VC money now going into BTC relative to early internet. I realize a few years have passes, but if you didn't know, we are blowing those early internet numbers away. (Sorry, don't have them off the top of my head, but there was an article a few weeks ago on it.)
2- More and more, and larger and larger, retailers accepting BTC
3- as #2, but with people hearing of BTC
4- BTC is entering popular culture, guess this is a combo of the prior, but the meme is here.
5- More and more people are questioning what money is. BTC has essentially lifted the veil off the FED. Uh oh
And on and on...
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040
Argentina is near the tipping point: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/investing/argentina-default/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

We need some actions in bitcoin land! Is there any chart that can be overlay on the bitcoin chart correlate to the world financial crisis?

Good question....

Draper (winner of the Silk Road auction) said he was going to bring BTC liquidity to Countries like Argentina (and he might have mentioned them by name) in the form of exchanges I believe. Get a mivin Mr. Draper...
Glad to see BTC adoption starting to really move, but we have to get it where it is really needed.

wouldn't argentina be vehemently against this? wouldn't they want to force people to hold on to paper notes? draper would need cooperation with the argentine government.

If leaders are in danger of a popular revolt and being hung,(and don't think that can't happen), then they might bend. They might even be sold on it in other ways (use your imagination).

In another way leaders may not realize what the cryptos can do, and let them go by the wayside, so to speak. The quick move from their money into BTC might catch them off guard and be too late to stop. We can hope anyway.

The way Draper sounded is that this is being worked on. And, you don't just buy 30,000 BTC without doing lots of homework.

i really wouldn't worry about the near term price action other then as potential buying opportunity. With guys like Draper holding 30k, we can be sure every other filthy rich person is asking himself and his buddies while at summer parties in the Hamptions and other places, whether he should also dump 100k into Bitcoin just in case... and i guarantee you that we will see deals sealed over Labor day weekend in the USA and news coming out following that.

Well either that or I am totally off base, but you know business is not rocket science...

Or they will all just assume it's another harebrained scheme from the guy who wants to split CA into six states. (Not what I think of course)

legendary

Good question....

legendary
Antifragile

Good question....

legendary
I hope it's okay to cross post this...

I wanted to point out this website, it has a separate thread on this forum which is not as popular, and although the guy doesn't always get it right I find the analysis thoughtful and something to take into consideration.

http://www.cryptowaves.com/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555289.new#new
Activity: 165
Merit: 106

Activity: 667
Argentina has very weak culture of rule of law when it comes to capital controls, as evidenced by the disparity between the official government and black market rates for the USD-peso trading pair. I think in practice the capital flight use case would arise from the informal market via in-person trading a la localbitcoins / mycelium wallet / etc. The controlling factor in this scenario would be the presence of adequate funds flows, in the form of wealthy people looking to protect their savings as bitcoin buyers, and a more economically-subsistence level population that can get bitcoin and are willing to sell for pesos. The obvious synergy here is a remittance market where nationals acquire bitcoin overseas and transmit back to family in Argentina, but I'm not sure really the extent to which that conforms to the situation in Argentina specifically.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Good question....

legendary
Antifragile

Good question....

Activity: 180
Merit: 117

legendary
Antifragile

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
are there other castles for sale in the region of The Risto Castle? We could create a Bitcoin Castle Hub in a few years Wink

Porkuni is a project for the one not faint in heart. The grounds + building area is (slightly) larger than mine, but in a totally run-down condition.

Laitse is an elegantly renovated country home of 1,500sqm, easy to maintain but a little higher to buy.

Excellent value for money, could just about get a 1 bed flat for EUR 2,500,000 where I am  Grin

It boasts of having 12 bedrooms and 10 baths. My count is currently 11 bedrooms and 9 baths, with none of them in the main building!
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
are there other castles for sale in the region of The Risto Castle? We could create a Bitcoin Castle Hub in a few years Wink

Porkuni is a project for the one not faint in heart. The grounds + building area is (slightly) larger than mine, but in a totally run-down condition.

Laitse is an elegantly renovated country home of 1,500sqm, easy to maintain but a little higher to buy.

Excellent value for money, could just about get a 1 bed flat for EUR 2,500,000 where I am  Grin

I would have to agree; however this is from the perspective of someone living British Columbia, Canada where our largest city Vancouver is in the midst of a major real estate bubble.
Activity: 667
Just a quick thought about the Ethereum IPO: I have no desire to spend bitcoins on that, because I have no way of objectively analyzing whether 2000 ether per BTC is even a valuation that can be justified. Whereas with Bitcoin, because it actually exists and is acquired via legitimate price discovery, there are numerous potential ways to build assumptions and models to justify certain expectations of return.
Jump to: