Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 257. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
what in your opinion happens to those big farms if the price hits -$200?

Blockchain fork would appear to be the dominating strategy.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Thanks, Peter.

I just put one chart upon the other in photoshop and it astonished me how well they fit.

How could adoption grow this quickly?
You have answered that question better than I could.

You also make me realize a very good point:
the supercrash of 2015 (100k to 3k) would correspond to the CHASM of bitcoin adoption (1-3%).
That correspondence increases the probability of the 2014 superbubble scenario, in my opinion.

Thanks again for your fractal chart.  Just to confirm: is the vertical scale stretched on the photoshopped version?  The growth spurt predicted in % for the "super bubble" is actually bigger than the growth spurt in 2011, correct?  Do you know what the scaling factor is?

In my opinion, for bitcoin to witness a "super bubble," we'd need ETFs trading on NASDAQ or NYSE and significant deployment of bitcoin ATMs around the world.  People must have he ability to buy big.  Therefore, I think the bubble would have to occur either after the ETFs are available, or, more likely, the bubble would start a month before the ETF is ready (due to pre-emptive buying by insiders).  Since I doubt we'll see ETFs until late 2014 or 2015, a huge ramp in price before the fall 2014 would surprise me (but I am not implying that the price will remain stable at $450 either).  

Witnessing a "super bubble" would be fascinating.  I expect the media would begin to talk about all the benefits of bitcoin that we've known all along, as well as trivialize its challenges.  It would be a 180 deg shift in sentiment.  Some of the people you know who have dismissed bitcoin up to this point would become users, while simultaneously maintaining the view that it makes sense now (Bitcoin 2.0) because it's been "cleaned up" or it's "matured" or some nonsense like that.  

And then it would crash harder than ever.  

NOTE TO READERS: this is not a prediction--just a thought experiment.  

Peter R at al, before you go on with this nonsense direction of thinking about arbitrary charts which have no basis in reality like they came from a child with an Etch-A-Sketch (not ad hominem to Trolololo, just trying to color my point with drama), and since I know you try to be based in data and fact checking, I suggest you try to find even one example in this history of man where the adoption accelerated after it was evidently slowing. And remember I am talking about rate of growth, not the nominal size of growth. The nominal size is getting larger and huge, and this will make us feel like the growth is growing, because humans can't differentiate between slowing rate and larger nominals.

You won't find it. Larger things don't suddenly change adoption curves, because the inertia is ingrained structure that provided the very high adoption rate in the beginning.

I am very confident because I have history and rationality on my side.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
what in your opinion happens to those big farms if the price hits -$200?
Merit: 521
one miner has 10% of network hash rate all in one location in East Washington.

Absolutely wrong, and since you can't handle being corrected, it's pointless to continue arguing with you. Don't bother replying, you're now on /ignore.

I guess you are incapable of realizing that you have not formed a viable retort to my point that mining is becoming incredulously centralized. Pedantic arguments over 6% versus 10% for one miner is something that children throwing sand do, not serious men who realize that it doesn't make any difference to the threat facing us.

In short, you waste the time of everyone with your childish ego problem.

Armstrong has written in the past that when he writes a rumor it always comes from a very high level source (and he has many connections in government he even hobnobs with the central bankers, Congressmen, etc):

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/30/even-cuba-abandons-communism-when-will-we/

Quote from: Armstrong
Obama’s dream – raise taxes back to where they were before Reagan – 70%. That is the word behind the curtain and he may use war to accomplish that.

The following audio interview is an eyeopener (listen to the whole thing as it adds a lot that isn't quoted below):

http://www.dailypaul.com/314402/complete-breakdown-of-financial-controls-in-us-government-says-austin-fitts

Former HUD Assistant Housing Secretary and investment advisor Catherine Austin Fitts...

“I don’t see Obamacare as something designed to offer healthcare. … I think the question comes down to a bigger one, which is, are we going to create a society where one hundred percent of everything is digitized and under central control?”

“Well, you have a complete breakdown of internal financial controls in the US government. … You had over $4 trillion of what is called undocumentable adjustments and to this day, [these agencies] have never, as required by law, produced audited financial statements.”

“In my experience, government is not incompetent at all. … Gridlock is a cover story, incompetence is a cover story. There is a plan, you just can’t see what it is.”
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
oh boy....thoughts on what happens if this crosses over Rpietila? do you expect a prolonged downtrend?

It doesn't make me feel much better that we have crossed below the 300 EMA for 3 days now and it has acted like resistance twice in that timeframe. This is the first time this has happened since 2011 (maybe early 2012),
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
It doesnt mean alot alone

I'm sure some people will use it as a signal and sell.  Sad, but true.

Indeed  Grin

I've been finding that *right* when a crossover happens is the best time to buy and usually the time of most panic... on a 1 Week timeframe that might be hard to to judge when that panic comes but I'm ready for it  Grin
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
Absolutely wrong, and since you can't handle being corrected, it's pointless to continue arguing with you. Don't bother replying, you're now on /ignore.
I just put him on /ignore too.  If he were half as brilliant as he thinks he is, he wouldn't be spending his days ranting here.  He's a crackpot, drawing nutty conclusions that don't logically follow from his list of (sometimes useful) facts.  He combines an arrogant and dismissive attitude with sheer volume of text, that beats everyone into submission via intimidation or exhaustion.  I'm done, everyone else can reach their own conclusion on whether to listen to him.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

I'm sure some people will use it as a signal and sell.  Sad, but true.

Best ignore all those pesky TA signals...after all its not like we're in the quality TA thread...no, wait

Seriously, ( <------ and not dour)
We've not had a true bear market since 2012, it was always going to happen.
Breathing space to improve and consolidate infrastructure, get BTC out of beta Grin
And most importantly, realign people's expectations.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com

Indeed  Grin
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
oh boy....thoughts on what happens if this crosses over Rpietila? do you expect a prolonged downtrend?

IMHO this bubble is almost twice as slow. So you need an MA/EMA almost twice as long.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

Merit: 500
You cannot have a 100k BTC right now or in a few months: 3600 coins produced per day x 100k each = 360mn USD per day just to buy the daily production. Not to mention all those who'll be dumping because they'll be rich from selling their 10 BTCs for 1 mn USD. Who is going to throw all these billions in the market?

For comparison purposes, daily mining of gold is at 7 tons per day (x40mn USD each = 280 mn USD per day to buy the daily production).

I believe a super bubble within 6 - 18 months would be possible (let's say I give it a 20% chance of happening).  If ETFs are available, and if ATMs are widely deployed, think of the huge market we've suddenly opened up.  If it all comes together at the same time, then who knows...

I understand your point about daily mined coins, but that was true in 2011 too, was it not?  All those mined coins is part of the reason it would have to crash very hard after peaking.  

Think of the money that could be involved.  The total market capitalization of all publicly traded companies in the world was US$51.2 trillion in January 2007.  This doesn't include currency or bond markets either.  Take just 0.1% of 50 trillion and you still get $50 billion.  Pump $50 billion quickly into bitcoin, and you probably get 10X market-cap amplification (rather than Risto's assumed 3.2X equilibrium amplification).  This takes you to $500 billion market cap and 13 million coins, so $40,000 per BTC.   Yeah of course it crashes, but I think it is certainly possible to see $40,000 per BTC within the next 18 months.  

Again, this is not a prediction  Just a thought experiment.  

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
You cannot have a 100k BTC right now or in a few months: 3600 coins produced per day x 100k each = 360mn USD per day just to buy the daily production. Not to mention all those who'll be dumping because they'll be rich from selling their 10 BTCs for 1 mn USD. Who is going to throw all these billions in the market?

For comparison purposes, daily mining of gold is at 7 tons per day (x40mn USD each = 280 mn USD per day to buy the daily production).

I believe a super bubble within 6 - 18 months would be possible (let's say I give it a 20% chance of happening).  If ETFs are available, and if ATMs are widely deployed, think of the huge market we've suddenly opened up.  If it all comes together at the same time, then who knows...

I understand your point about daily mined coins, but that was true in 2011 too, was it not?  All those mined coins is part of the reason it would have to crash very hard after peaking.  

Think of the money that could be involved.  The total market capitalization of all publicly traded companies in the world was US$51.2 trillion in January 2007.  This doesn't include currency or bond markets either.  Take just 0.1% of 50 trillion and you still get $50 billion.  Pump $50 billion quickly into bitcoin, and you probably get 10X market-cap amplification (rather than Risto's assumed 3.2X equilibrium amplification).  This takes you to $500 billion market cap and 13 million coins, so $40,000 per BTC.   Yeah of course it crashes, but I think it is certainly possible to see $40,000 per BTC within the next 18 months.  

Again, this is not a prediction  Just a thought experiment.  
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

Activity: 277
Merit: 257
After a bottom it goes up. We've seen this like.. 7 times now in Bitcoin's history. 99.95% don't own bitcoins. Hundreds of millions have now heard about them, mostly negative. It takes 12-24 months for them to buy. The first 1% of them is the next 500% of Bitcoin adoption, the ones who lift the price to $5,000 before leaves fall from the trees. If 5 million people invest $1,000 per person, they can buy 10 million bitcoins. That absorbs all the lonely Chinese and stolen coins, like many times before. There is nothing new in Bitcoin. Everything has happened before. It is a fractal. Before I even bought, it was explained to me.

Take a look at this fractal:

It compares
the bubbles of Oct2010 + Jan2011 + April-May2011
vs
the bubbles of Jan-Mar2013 + Nov2013 + May-Sept2014?

The top of the next bubble would peak around 100,000 USD/XBT at around end of September 2014 (6 months from now).

Edited: dates corrected (prebubbles were in 2010, not in 2011, and superbubble was in 2011, not in 2012)

Gold is constant at that level. Bitcoin would stay up there for a few hours or days. Thats a key difference.

Not that I expect it to go up that much. The bubbles should be and have been getting less volatile.

Thats why I dont think we will not go much lower then we are right now. Going by the trend of previous bubbles, I expect the next ATH to be around $6000 and then stabilise around $4500, with low being at around $3000.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
Thanks, Peter.

I just put one chart upon the other in photoshop and it astonished me how well they fit.

the supercrash of 2015 (100k to 3k) would correspond to the CHASM of bitcoin adoption (1-3%).
That correspondence increases the probability of the 2014 superbubble scenario, in my opinion.

Thanks again for your fractal chart.  Just to confirm: is the vertical scale stretched on the photoshopped version?  The growth spurt predicted in % for the "super bubble" is actually bigger than the growth spurt in 2011, correct?  Do you know what the scaling factor is?

In my opinion, for bitcoin to witness a "super bubble," we'd need ETFs trading on NASDAQ or NYSE and significant deployment of bitcoin ATMs around the world.  People must have he ability to buy big.  Therefore, I think the bubble would have to occur either after the ETFs are available, or, more likely, the bubble would start a month before the ETF is ready (due to pre-emptive buying by insiders).  Since I doubt we'll see ETFs until late 2014 or 2015, a huge ramp in price before the fall 2014 would surprise me (but I am not implying that the price will remain stable at $450 either). 

Witnessing a "super bubble" would be fascinating.  I expect the media would begin to talk about all the benefits of bitcoin that we've known all along, as well as trivialize its challenges.  It would be a 180 deg shift in sentiment.  Some of the people you know who have dismissed bitcoin up to this point would become users, while simultaneously maintaining the view that it makes sense now (Bitcoin 2.0) because it's been "cleaned up" or it's "matured" or some nonsense like that. 

And then it would crash harder than ever. 

NOTE TO READERS: this is not a prediction--just a thought experiment. 
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
After a bottom it goes up. We've seen this like.. 7 times now in Bitcoin's history. 99.95% don't own bitcoins. Hundreds of millions have now heard about them, mostly negative. It takes 12-24 months for them to buy. The first 1% of them is the next 500% of Bitcoin adoption, the ones who lift the price to $5,000 before leaves fall from the trees. If 5 million people invest $1,000 per person, they can buy 10 million bitcoins. That absorbs all the lonely Chinese and stolen coins, like many times before. There is nothing new in Bitcoin. Everything has happened before. It is a fractal. Before I even bought, it was explained to me.

It compares
the bubbles of Oct2010 + Jan2011 + April-May2011
vs
the bubbles of Jan-Mar2013 + Nov2013 + May-Sept2014?

The top of the next bubble would peak around 100,000 USD/XBT at around end of September 2014 (6 months from now).

Edited: dates corrected (prebubbles were in 2010, not in 2011, and superbubble was in 2011, not in 2012)

Activity: 263
Merit: 280

Nice graph Trolololo.

People often scoff at bold predictions (either bullish or bearish) but based on bitcoin's volatility numbers alone, we expect the price to either be much higher or much lower in a year or two.  

How could your scenario play out?  According to the Metcalfe model, a 100X growth in price would correspond with a 10X growth in adoption levels (from roughly 0.1-0.2% to 1-2%).  Could adoption grow this quickly?  

Many financial surveys point out that only 2 - 5% of people would be willing to buy bitcoins, suggesting that there is already more than 10X additional demand.  But then why aren't they buying?

I would argue that it is presently too difficult to both buy and secure one's coins.  This must change.

As we speak, at least 1,000 bitcoin ATMs are being deployed across the world and more will come later.  This is vital infrastructure to allow people to exchange cash for coins should a new bull run begin.    

Similarly, Second Market and the Winklevoss twins are pushing towards regulated bitcoin exchange products (ETFs).  These represent important services to allow people to confidently store their coins.  

In conclusion, if a new bull run begins as this infrastructure is falling into place, and if the ETFs arrive in the early/mid-porition of this bull run, then I think your scenario is entirely possible.  

It is interesting that the "super crash" in your graph would correspond to the adoption level (1 - 3%) of the "chasm" on the technology adoption curve.

Thanks, Peter.

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
If necessary SWAT teams show up at physical locations where the bulk of the ASICs are since for example one miner has 10% of network hash rate all in one location in East Washington.

Why do you keep making up "facts"? MegaBigPower would be the mine in East Washington, and they're running about 1 PH. that is under 2% of the network.

I saw a TV documentary and it said 7% (I remember that well) and they said they hoped to reach 10% very soon. I saw the racks and racks of ASICs in a huge cooled warehouse-like facility and he was adding more continuously. I don't remember the name. They said they were keeping the exact location secret. The title was something like "The man who owns 10% of Bitcoin".

Found it:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/meet-the-manic-miner-who-wants-to-mint-10-of-all-new-bitcoins/

"2.2 petahash"

That was months ago. Surely it has increased since then. So you are the one who needs to get your "facts" straight before you attack.  Roll Eyes

Guess I have to bitch slap you again. Read the damn title you posted.

Jump to: