Pages:
Author

Topic: rumors of 3.5Th antminer S7 "lite" - page 2. (Read 8641 times)

Activity: 572
Merit: 506
November 16, 2015, 05:05:28 PM

That's just because that poster does not understand what that means and the miner consumption vs power consumption at the wall, there is nothing shaddy here, with the drop in hash rate, there is also a drop in power consumption.

With a 90% eff psu that would come up to 1157watts at the wall~ down from 1240~ and the hashrate goes down at the same ratio.

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

3x 54 =162 chip not 165
I think that the new 4,05 TH/s S7 can be better as old 4,86 TH/s

I a world where the eficiency is so important is understandable that a company launch a worse product after one better... I wanna wait and see too.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
November 16, 2015, 06:03:15 AM

That's just because that poster does not understand what that means and the miner consumption vs power consumption at the wall, there is nothing shaddy here, with the drop in hash rate, there is also a drop in power consumption.

With a 90% eff psu that would come up to 1157watts at the wall~ down from 1240~ and the hashrate goes down at the same ratio.

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

3x 54 =162 chip not 165
I think that the new 4,05 TH/s S7 can be better as old 4,86 TH/s
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
November 15, 2015, 09:01:39 PM

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165162 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

Edit:typo
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
November 14, 2015, 06:35:32 PM
Now they are trying to hide their shadiness by releasing S7 lite with lower hashrate! Roll Eyes I think they need to change this BM1385 chip in order to overcome with heating and efficiency issues. At least in S8 maybe! Wink

Activity: 406
Merit: 252
November 13, 2015, 12:45:37 PM
Now they are trying to hide their shadiness by releasing S7 lite with lower hashrate! Roll Eyes I think they need to change this BM1385 chip in order to overcome with heating and efficiency issues. At least in S8 maybe! Wink
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
In XEM we trust
November 11, 2015, 09:42:49 PM
I have yet to see any company come out with something modular where you can just buy a main trunk and keep adding things easily to it.  I guess the modular add-on idea hasn't taken off.
It would need some R&D before it takes off. Most R&D goes towards efficiency. Cant really blame them since the water cooled unit failed miserably.

there is no point business-wise to have another 2boards design! simple as that!

the fan used from s4, s5 till now is a crap and a piece of shit ! Shocked

Just halve the amount of boards. Fill the gap with bigger heatsinks. Make profit from people who are too cheap to buy a s7.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
November 11, 2015, 09:35:36 PM
there is no point business-wise to have another 2boards design! simple as that!

the fan used from s4, s5 till now is a crap and a piece of shit ! Shocked
Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
November 11, 2015, 05:14:23 PM
I have yet to see any company come out with something modular where you can just buy a main trunk and keep adding things easily to it.  I guess the modular add-on idea hasn't taken off.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
November 11, 2015, 08:29:22 AM
There is no such thing as a "quiet" high flow fan, to get to the range of CFM they need to achieve decent cooling they HAVE to go with a fan that makes quite a bit of noise.

TANSTAAFL.

Ive replaced nearly all my fans with same or better cooling. And the noise is easily two to height time lower, so yea the one Bitmain use are not bad but they are very cheap and that is why they go with them, because its much more efficient cost wise to use those.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
November 11, 2015, 06:49:19 AM
There is no such thing as a "quiet" high flow fan, to get to the range of CFM they need to achieve decent cooling they HAVE to go with a fan that makes quite a bit of noise.

TANSTAAFL.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
November 11, 2015, 03:38:43 AM
Get your shit together bitmain.  Also put out a miner with very low sound level, like the s3 for example.  people will buy it even if its less efficient and more expensive

i don't know what they can not afford better fan, it's not like they cost too much or whatever, i can buy with for $5 or less on amazon with the plus program

they should really do this, or at least provide a fan with 3-4 pin, so we can lower the cfm
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
November 10, 2015, 12:45:37 PM
Get your shit together bitmain.  Also put out a miner with very low sound level, like the s3 for example.  people will buy it even if its less efficient and more expensive

I think the day's of the small miners are in the past.  Like it or not the redesign showed even when they go smaller it's still a big machine.   I do not think the home miner day's will quite be the same as the past.

I think it's going to move to what I call "hobby miners" with areas and proper wiring, cooling, etc.  Sure some will be able to put in and about max out a circuit but really designing for home day's is over.

you never know with these smaller low power nanometer low power chips.

I'm not sure about that.  Look at all the hardware being sold right now and see how most are going twords more you can fit in the box of speed, the better.

Find one that shows lower even at lower NM.  I mean B-12 I think it is could be the first consumer lower NM.  And all their terrahash look big as well.  So I would not count on S3 type miners.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 10, 2015, 05:57:41 AM

I think the day's of the small miners are in the past.  Like it or not the redesign showed even when they go smaller it's still a big machine.   I do not think the home miner day's will quite be the same as the past.

I think it's going to move to what I call "hobby miners" with areas and proper wiring, cooling, etc.  Sure some will be able to put in and about max out a circuit but really designing for home day's is over.

you never know with these smaller low power nanometer low power chips.
legendary
November 10, 2015, 12:42:58 AM

legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
November 10, 2015, 12:24:06 AM
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
November 09, 2015, 07:37:34 AM
1437 watts on a standard US 15 Amp circuit is OK.
NEC specs are quite conservative, it's perfectly reasonable to expect 100% power draw to be safe, though less is a little safer....

"12Amp" limit is excessive for a standard residential outlet on a standard 15 amp circuit.

What I don't understand is why BitMain went to as much of an extreme on their "S7 correction" design, IMO they should have dropped to 16/string not 15 and kept the efficiency higher while kicking the reliability up to something decent.

I also don't understand why they didn't go to 2 ports/board, unless they are deliberately leaving LOTS of space for large overclocking.

There are a lot of unanswered questions, and until we actually see a batch 6 they will remain so.

As I put in my earlier post. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12911092

My money still on Bitmain not having a batch 6 yet and that it only exists on paper? The pictures still show the 4.86TH device. Batch 6 could be a major relayout of the board or they may just have "fudged" it to remove 3 Nodes & 9 Chips per board?

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
November 09, 2015, 07:22:11 AM
1437 watts on a standard US 15 Amp circuit is OK.
NEC specs are quite conservative, it's perfectly reasonable to expect 100% power draw to be safe, though less is a little safer....

"12Amp" limit is excessive for a standard residential outlet on a standard 15 amp circuit.

What I don't understand is why BitMain went to as much of an extreme on their "S7 correction" design, IMO they should have dropped to 16/string not 15 and kept the efficiency higher while kicking the reliability up to something decent.

I also don't understand why they didn't go to 2 ports/board, unless they are deliberately leaving LOTS of space for large overclocking.
legendary
November 08, 2015, 02:59:45 PM
My biggest fear is to see something like S5 with two blade in a plastic sided no full case device.

I will LOL so badly!

Any point for this miner will be to be quiet! other wise.... i don't really care Smiley

I was expecting it to be quite different. Thought dual module and big change.  With new S7 change it is not near as big of change as I thought.

Lose hashpower and still have 10 PCIe ports needed.   I think it was a bad move.

10 ports needed for just 1045W is pretty much ignorable bs.

So if you get an S7 that is operating at 0.275 J/Ghz, the total power draw is 1437 watts, the residential limit.

not sure...B1, B2, B4 are 1210w; B3 and B5 are 1160W; B6-1045+maybe 10%=1150W
I am not aware of any B1-B5 that required 1437w.

I would agree on the 10 ports for around 1k watts... they should have done a bigger redesign I think 2 blades and much less PCIe for what they were doing.   If they want you to use 10 PCIE ports it should have much more power in my mind.

But if you don't use 10 recommended it ruins the warranty.  So they really push it to being used.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
November 08, 2015, 01:34:04 PM
My biggest fear is to see something like S5 with two blade in a plastic sided no full case device.

I will LOL so badly!

Any point for this miner will be to be quiet! other wise.... i don't really care Smiley

I was expecting it to be quite different. Thought dual module and big change.  With new S7 change it is not near as big of change as I thought.

Lose hashpower and still have 10 PCIe ports needed.   I think it was a bad move.

10 ports needed for just 1045W is pretty much ignorable bs.

So if you get an S7 that is operating at 0.275 J/Ghz, the total power draw is 1437 watts, the residential limit.

not sure...B1, B2, B4 are 1210w; B3 and B5 are 1160W; B6-1045+maybe 10%=1150W
I am not aware of any B1-B5 that required 1437w.
Activity: 578
Merit: 508
November 08, 2015, 12:01:00 PM
I think this version could be some sort of sop to the 120V home market. The typical US 120V, 15 amp outlet can handle 12 amps max continuously. With a little tuning plus a decent power supply, this version can be a one electrical outlet/branch circuit miner.

Not really, the First format on the S7 almost was, since 1200watts is close to the 12A 110V limit. Meanwhile 1000watts on the 1440watts 80% safety margin on 120V is kind of awkward. Got to find something else to do with the 400watts.

The S4 is the one that was really fitting as a one miner, one circuit miner 120v wise, the PSU is even rated to exactly 1440watts.

Actually it's more involved. Assuming the minimum code for the US home electrical 120V circuit (14 gauge 60C copper wire)

1) The B2 specs are 0.25 J/Ghz, 4.66 (+/- 5%)

2) Ideally for ROI purposes, a single power supply is better, especially since the S7 control board has it's own PCI connector. So we are looking at some 1300W unit with 10 PCI connectors.

3) Spec power budget: 1165 watts (4660 x 0.25) + 120 watts (power supply) + 36 watts (wire loss: 14 gauge, 50 ft run, 12 amps) = 1320 watts. So there is some margin.

Unfortunately there are miners that don't meet the specs for efficiency and hash rate. So if you get an S7 that is operating at 0.275 J/Ghz, the total power draw is 1437 watts, the residential limit.

Pages:
Jump to: