Pages:
Author

Topic: [RUN 2 CLOSED][SIDEHACK STICK]GekkoScience Compac Official sales thread - page 43. (Read 69653 times)

legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
You and me both. We'll keep developing designs with the chips we have available, in the hopes that we can retool for new chips when the next generation is available. I've got at least three more miners I want to build, scaling up to potentially at least 5TH. This stick is just the beginning.

Wow, that sounds really exciting. There's been so little coming from the usual mining hardware companies recently.

Having a real alternative, designed with home miners in mind, is very interesting.

It's worth picking up some sticks just to support your larger effort!
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
You and me both. We'll keep developing designs with the chips we have available, in the hopes that we can retool for new chips when the next generation is available. I've got at least three more miners I want to build, scaling up to potentially at least 5TH. This stick is just the beginning.
Cool!! will really be interested in some of the bigger miners Grin
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Congratz sidehack on making it all the way to production.  For anyone out there wondering on quality they are a very very good build.  I have had so much fun I have been running the review unit much more then I expected.  Has a lot of ability to underclock or overclock.   

I honestly hope this is first of a series of products from GekkoScience.   Well done.
legendary
Yeah, I guess anyone wanting to drive to Missouri for pickup should pay the $25 per stick but not the shipping. And let me know in the message that you'll be picking up.
Activity: 735
Merit: 500
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
cant wait to get some from you hack since im so close could i just order them and pick them up when there ready sir ?
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051
Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs
Congratulations. Nice project.
Activity: 686
FUN > ROI
Can cgminer be compiled for mac?
Yes - both Anonymailer (macminer) and nwoolls (multiminer) have built cgminer binaries for OS X.  nwoolls specifically has a nice repo with shell scripts that build binaries of both bfgminer and cgminer: https://github.com/nwoolls/xgminer-osx
legendary
Can cgminer be compiled for mac? It already works in cgminer, and maybe by the time the hardware is shipping we can make it work better.

I don't know anything about BFG, really, but it looks like he'll be working on it.
legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
Looks like a fun miner. I'm thinking about a few to run on my desk. The thing is that I'm on a Mac.

Will there be mining software that works on Mac OS X?

Bfgminer runs on Mac, right? So maybe if Luke-Jr gets involved it will work.

I'm not afraid to build my own binaries, as long as there's software that works.
legendary
Drop me a message and we can coordinate, Luke-Jr, if you want one to work on. It does enumerate in cgminer as a U3, but if BFG is doing something different to identify it, we might be able to leverage that difference into a customized cgminer driver also which could allow for proper ID, more frequency range and stop the reset on low hashrate issue.
FUN > ROI
Do you plan to send a unit to developers so we can properly support it?
It's already supported - sort of - by cgminer; without changes to identification, it will be detected as an Antminer U3.  They may mess around with the software some before sending out units anyway.

I couldn't get anywhere with bfgminer on account of "Failed to sanity check in lowl-vcom.c windows_usb_get_string():508", but I didn't delve too particularly deeply.
It would be nice to see support in bfgminer, even if only because some people prefer it.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Do you plan to send a unit to developers so we can properly support it?
Activity: 1249
Merit: 506
Great job novak and sidehack! Thanks to the testers as well!

I can't wait to get my hands on a few of these bad boys.

Activity: 331
Merit: 250
Well, looks like I might have to make a pit stop at home on Tuesday around 4:00 (local) and get the order in Wink
legendary
Activity: 1173
Merit: 1001
Awesome project to follow! Great job
FUN > ROI
I have an overbuilt hub (by which I mean a crappy $10 China hub that I worked over) that I used to run overclocked USB Block Erupters two years ago.
And if people do need a beefy hub, there are existing solutions, but it's worth mentioning that sidehack's also working on something there Smiley
legendary
I have an overbuilt hub (by which I mean a crappy $10 China hub that I worked over) that I used to run overclocked USB Block Erupters two years ago. It's currently hosting a pair of sticks at 300MHz. That's 16.5GH off 5V 1.4A each. Most hubs won't safely go up that high, and without a modified version of cgminer you'd be limited to 250MHz (13.7GH, probably about 1.1A draw) per stick anyway.

Note that even at the "extreme overclock" of 300MHz (basically twice the "stock speed") it still runs about 0.43W/GH
FUN > ROI
My only question is overclocking it require an external power source? On stock I am assuming USB 2 power is enough but at what overclock does USB 3 cover us to?
See this chart (click for large):

Note that this is from my testing on an engineering sample and there's bound to be minor differences between units.  There's two lines there, one for USB 2.0 at 500mA, and one for USB 3.0 at 900mA.  The Gh/s (effective) associated with Iusb under those lines are roughly what you should be able to get from those ports as long as they behave.  Note that you could combine multiple ports (same as you may have done in the past with an external CD/DVD drive or 2.5" HDD, using a little splitter cable), but you would have to be certain that the ports have individual power regulation and the bus is rated for the additional draw, which is not necessarily always the case.  Thus for higher hash rates, external power (via a powered USB hub that doesn't put any current draw cut-offs on the ports) is recommended if not required.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Fantastic job. The last time I bought a usb miner was from Canary back in 2013 (when I first got into btc). The price and specs on your usb sticks are making me reconsider. I had S1s and S3s in my house but they are far too loud. I will definitely keep a look out on this since I am on the fence. Great job and user friendly overclock is a huge plus!

My only question is overclocking it require an external power source? On stock I am assuming USB 2 power is enough but at what overclock does USB 3 cover us to?
Pages:
Jump to: